Help me get my side scoring please!!

I have started a new save with Boro in the Championship as i wanted to start a fresh save with an idea that came to me whilst insanely bored waiting for the mrs and kids to come out of new look! I have used to death the 41221 and 4231's over the years on fm and recently tinkered with 4141 but i have personally found it a bit boring, so i decided it would be nice to try 3 at the back, wingbacks, a diamond midfield and a lone forward.

Middlesbrough_TacticsOverview-3_zpsb4aaefbf.png

I have made up a defensive, counter and control variants all using the same base shouts which i will tweak depending on the opp and their shape.

Middlesbrough_TacticsOverview-2_zpsfe153291.png

It has been very very solid in open play, most goals conceded have been from set peices which i am continuing to try and fix, the issue is i am creating a good number of ccc's and either they mean nothing or we have just been very unlucky so far.

Middlesbrough_FixturesSchedule_zps126e37ce.png

Whats pleasing is even in the Wigan game were we lost 2-0 we dominated, created 4 ccc's and played exactly how i want by keeping the ball and being very solid also. Their goals where last min of 1st half with wonder free kick from Gomez and last min of 2nd half through poor marking at corner, i guess my point is i was not nearly as wound up as i have been on previous saves because the team were playing exactly as i wanted and were just desperately unlucky.

As you can see we are not putting chances away, but we are creating them which is encouraging so does anybody think i could make changes to increase our goal return because im quite reluctant to change things to drastically because this is easily the most solid tactic i have put together so far and im really enjoying it, if only we could finish our chances!!

Without the ball the wingbacks fall back and we basically have a back five, and the four man diamond in midfield is difficult for the opp to break down. With the ball in our half the half back drops and the outside centre halfs move into full back positions, the dlp links things from there to the Ap and the SS/EG and at times it looks great as the ball moves up the field and the Hb gradually moves back into midfield. The attacking wing back gets very involved in attacks on the overlap and on the right side the wingback supports very well also.

I just cant't get Danny Graham and Kamara to put clear chances away!!

I wouldn't be too fixated on the CCC stat - they're pretty subjective and rarely tell the whole story.

Do you have any screens to show who is taking the shots, and where they are from?

I think that your systems lack angles of attack. The wingbacks will run high and wide, but only the DF and SS will regularly provide any sort of in box presence on a regular basis. For me, an AP (A) won't be far enough advanced to offer a goal threat.

What is the thinking with a Half Back? You have a back three, so don't really need an extra man dropping deep. Instead, I'd consider having any of the variants of a DLP / DM / Anchor in the DM line (I'd go for Anchor or DM to avoid having the DLP dropping into the DC line for goal kicks). That would allow a bit of a braver approach in the MC line if you want to stick with that shape. The DLP could become an AP, the AP a CM. The CM would then offer an extra layer to your attack.

What do you think the various Team Instructions bring to your style of play?

EDIT - One more thing - Why have you selected a Support Duty up front? This is often the right thing to do in lone striker shapes without an AM, but you have ample support from the SS behind. I would consider looking at an Attack Duty there, just to try to stretch the defence and create space for the SS.

I wouldn't be too fixated on the CCC stat - they're pretty subjective and rarely tell the whole story.

Do you have any screens to show who is taking the shots, and where they are from?

I think that your systems lack angles of attack. The wingbacks will run high and wide, but only the DF and SS will regularly provide any sort of in box presence on a regular basis. For me, an AP (A) won't be far enough advanced to offer a goal threat.

What is the thinking with a Half Back? You have a back three, so don't really need an extra man dropping deep. Instead, I'd consider having any of the variants of a DLP / DM / Anchor in the DM line (I'd go for Anchor or DM to avoid having the DLP dropping into the DC line for goal kicks). That would allow a bit of a braver approach in the MC line if you want to stick with that shape. The DLP could become an AP, the AP a CM. The CM would then offer an extra layer to your attack.

What do you think the various Team Instructions bring to your style of play?

EDIT - One more thing - Why have you selected a Support Duty up front? This is often the right thing to do in lone striker shapes without an AM, but you have ample support from the SS behind. I would consider looking at an Attack Duty there, just to try to stretch the defence and create space for the SS.

I had considered a box to box and a advanced forward. Was just interested to see what other people would try. The idea behind the instructions is simply keeping the ball and looking for over lapping wing backs and the half back I just wanted to experiment how it would play and I quite liked what I saw.

Thanks for your suggestions though its appreciated :)

Archived