Bolton vs. Villa Carling cup Semi 1s leg

Boltonsbarmyarmy

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't worry we'll win the 2nd leg 3-0, I am confident of this, Bolton will be poor without Okocha and Nolan.

1-0 - J'Lloyd's fault IMO, shouldn't have moved, he is a quality player though and on current form one of the best left backs in the league

2-0 - Mellberg caught flat footed, he's a great defender and again one of the best centre halves in the league but poor decision on this one

3-0 - Dublin outjumped, still he's better than Johnsen

3-1 - Angel you are a genius

3-2 - Vassell's shots were both going in, get out the way Angel! but still a bit of luck was needed

4-2 - Johnsen you idiot where was your marking, you are terrible

5-2 - Wonder strike, wall should have done better but nobody could have predicted that strike

2nd leg is ours

I think we'll win the second leg, but whether we can win by 3 goals im not so sure about. Bolton won't miss Okocha and Nolan so much in the second leg as they won't really need to attack and will probably come to Villa Park and sit on their lead.

There's a difference between being positive and arrogant icon_wink.gif

We have a shot yes but it's a long one. I would love for the players to apologise ( the defence at least ) publically for their play last night. We beat Fulham 3-0 recently at VP so against Bolton minus Okocha? Who knows. Anyway with us needing to make up a 5-2 deficit Bolton also have the freedom to attack us in the second leg. They can go for a goal and if we score once? then they can shut up shop and defend as well as we sadly know they can.

btw - Angel's goal was an intended cross - sorry icon_wink.gif It was Bolton's night last night and maybe in all probability it'll be their semi final but hopefully if we can get a full house at VP, some support for the apologetic lads, then maybe we can restore some pride. Those 2 away goals could actually prove to be quite important.

COME ONE MAGIC!

icon_eek.gif

well I didn't expect that! Theres a long way to go yet though. Theres no way I'm thinking about Cardiff. If Villa get an early goal then it will be some tie next week, and I'll be papping myself. Still there going to have to go for it leaving us with the chance to hit them on break.

Okocha and Nolan will be missed, but in Frandsen we have the perfect Nolan replacement.

icon14.gif to the Villa support last night.

Just found this great site article:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>VILLA PARK;

ASTON VILLA 3 TRANMERE ROVERS 1; March 1994

An incredible match, my favourite ever, had everything. The build up had been all about them and their fans were lapping it up. Their attitude was one of "we're already there" and they had no worries about doing the job at Villa Park. Those of us who were at Prenton Park for the first leg may not have disagreed!

First Deano and then Shaun Teale put us 2-0 up and seemingly on course. Bozzie gave away a pen by tripping Aldridge, the latter getting up to score. The second half was a tidal wave but I honestly felt we'd tried our best but it wouldn't happen. Yet with 2 minutes to go Tony Daley put in the perfect cross for Dalian Atkinson to head home. Mental scenes!

Extra-time came and went, and then came those penalties. Everyone was "on the edge" - my nerves had gone, along with the voice. Ugo had the chance but missed. Ricco then blasted over and they were one kick away from glory. I remember their manager John King getting ready to run on the pitch, the cameramen were poised - a mate looked at me and I just shook my head....but Bozzie was unstoppable and he let everyone know it. Suddenly Ian Nolan was stepping up to keep them in it - and he didn't. We were going to Wembley for the first time in 17 years! (Cue tingle down the spine).

I have to admit to leaping onto the pitch in sheer emotion - we went over to the Tranmere fans, some of who had just one message for us - "If you get United in the final - F*cking beat em for us".

On Sunday March 27th 1994 - we did just that.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin Davies was absolutely awesome last night - the guy was my man of the match. Jay-Jay deserved all the praise he got for his two goals, and good performance, but Davies was absolutely amazing - and in my opinion was head and shoulders above everyone else on that pitch!

In regard of the second leg, personally i'll be very disappointed if we don't make Cardiff after taking a three goal lead to Villa Park, although after watching Bolton for over fourteen seasons, nothing can really shock me.

Team wise, personally for the second leg, i'd go with, Jussi; Hunt, N'Gotty, Thome, Charlton; Campo; Stelios, Frandsen, Djorkaeff, Pedersen; Davies. Yes, I know Pedersen is in there, but only for his work-rate and the fact he can play on the left - not because I rate the guy!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JoeWesthead:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>VILLA PARK;

An incredible match, my favourite ever, had everything. The build up had been all about them and their fans were lapping it up. Their attitude was one of "we're already there" and they had no worries about doing the job at Villa Park. Those of us who were at Prenton Park for the first leg may not have disagreed!

First Deano and then Shaun Teale put us 2-0 up and seemingly on course. Bozzie gave away a pen by tripping Aldridge, the latter getting up to score. The second half was a tidal wave but I honestly felt we'd tried our best but it wouldn't happen. Yet with 2 minutes to go Tony Daley put in the perfect cross for Dalian Atkinson to head home. Mental scenes!

Extra-time came and went, and then came those penalties. Everyone was "on the edge" - my nerves had gone, along with the voice. Ugo had the chance but missed. Ricco then blasted over and they were one kick away from glory. I remember their manager John King getting ready to run on the pitch, the cameramen were poised - a mate looked at me and I just shook my head....but Bozzie was unstoppable and he let everyone know it. Suddenly Ian Nolan was stepping up to keep them in it - and he didn't. We were going to Wembley for the first time in 17 years! (Cue tingle down the spine).

I have to admit to leaping onto the pitch in sheer emotion - we went over to the Tranmere fans, some of who had just one message for us - "If you get United in the final - F*cking beat em for us".

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great memories of that night, and also of the final at Wembley

Villa 3 - 1 Man Utd icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JoeWesthead:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not even a Villa fan, but reading that bit about Wembley and the bit about going onto the pitch etc sent shivers down my spine..

Well I said he needed to turn up for us and boy did he. icon_cool.gif

Real goal of the season contender, I couldn't believe my eyes when it smacked the back of the net and seeing it from that angle on tv.... icon_eek.gif. He's not been very consistent for us this season and there have been better Bolton players but it shows how he can elevate the side with a performance like that and has us within touching distance of a major cup final.

One of the best matches I've been to in years and here's hoping its enough to see us through next week (I'm going icon_biggrin.gif). But as usual with us there is no way it will pass off easy. And their 2 away goals may be big but as long as we don't just sit back too much and look to hit them on the break and get a goal of our own then I think we'll do it.

Kevin Davies deserves a mention here, absolutely tireless performance, O'Leary becomes the 3rd opposition manager in the last month to single him out as being too much for their defence, he's running away with our player of the year award and along with Tim Howard is the signing of the summer IMO.

Unfortunately big icon13.gif for the crowd, ok the club deserves a bit of blame for hiking up the price to £26 when the match is already on TV meaning a recipe for a poor crowd but it was even worse than I feared it would be, but the ones there created one of the best atmospheres this season and by the end of the titanic encounter you didn't notice that 10,000+ seats were empty, still very disappointing though. And another icon13.gif for their second, pathetic officiating.

Bring on next tuesday and hopefully a day our in Cardiff beckons. icon_smile.gif

Archived