How would you adapt this tactic for big away european games?

Hi guys

I developed my own tactic for FM14, which has generally proved me fairly well in the league - 5 straight EPL wins with Arsenal.

It's a narrow 4-2-3-1m with 3 AMC's, with one as a shadow striker

qKnQ4Ux.jpg

Unfortunately, I seem to have trouble in some of the big away games in the league (though generally do ok - went unbeaten in the league in one season until very last game), but struggle in cup games away.

Have went out of League Cup away most years (bar the first I think) and struggle in the Champions League after Xmas in two legged ties. Home and away, I seem to dominate the games but concede some cheap goals and go out. I've one it two out of 5 years, though I will admit to rage quitting and reloading for the second win.

How would you adapt this approach to make it more sturdy for big cup type games?

Obviously a very high line is risky and susceptible to the counter attack, yet it seems that the tactic doesn't really tick without it. The high line keeps the play compressed, and overloads their midfield and allows my AMCs to break.

Any ideas?

My squad is built around this formation so I don't have any real DMC's (though Wanamaya could certainly do a job there), and i only really have Fischer, Lamela and Falatt as natural wide players, though Oscar can do a job on AMR.

Personally, I would take off hassle opponents as your Centre mids will be closing down and your full backs playing like wingers leaving your central defence exposed. Not hassling opponents might prevent quite as much space in front of the defence.

I'm sure the experts will give you more advice than I can offer, but I'm having much better solidity at the back since I stopped my players from closing down so much. I play a flat 4411 so have a similar requirement for keeping my 2 centre mids tighter.

I experimented with taking hassle opponents off for three away games - Atletico Madrid, Hull and Man City.

Against Atleti and Man City, I ended up conceding early in each from long balls over the top which by passed my midfield and defence and were pounced on by their pacey forwards.

Playing a high or very high line I think I need to hassle opponents in order to compress the play and deny them the time and space to pick out the killer balls that can expose my defence.

I ended up switching back to my usual high pressing game at half time in the Man City game at 2-0 down and coming back to win 3-2!

Against Atleti I replayed the game to test this approach but lost 4-3 so reverted to my earlier save where I had scraped a 2-2 draw.

And against Hull I won 3-0 with a fairly rotated and young team but conceded 16 shots on goal in the process - which I probably haven't done since my first year. That said none of those chances ever really threatened.

I think that with a high line though so you need to press the opposition or you will be exposed.

I would definitely change one IF for a W, the space where your AMC is is getting very congested. With one of your IF's being a winger, I would then change the FB behind him to a FB/S which will offer a bit more defensive solidarity. I would make sure that your CM/D is on the same side of midefield as your CWB so that he can cover.

I definitely would not change your DLP to a BWM, that will leave more space in front of your defence to exploit.

Archived