Advice on a new (old) PC - I have no problem with pity

Hi folks

I am hoping some of you with a bit of tech knowledge can help me out.

My old, old P4 desktop is on its last legs and I have a very limited budget to replace it. I plan to whip out the Radeon 9800 and re-use it and can do the same for the hard drive and the 2 gb of ram if necessary.

My budget tops out at £60 (oh thank you wife) so I have been trawling to find something that will improve my FM experience a little.

My choices seem to boil down to ex-business refurbs based on Intel Dual Core processors around the 2.00-2.66 mark (E7300 etc.) but I seem to need one in a full desktop case to accommodate my graphics card so I have to ignore all of the small form factor ones.

I don't know if I should be considering Core 2, Core 2 Duo, Xeon, Pentium D or not. Please help a confused soul.

Then the odd one with better seeming specs pops up - like this -

Advent T9509 Desktop.

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU @ 2.4GHz

2GB RAM

Windows Vista 32

nVidia GeForce 8300 GS 1GB graphics card

My question is how would this handle FM 2013 (I am realistic and very well aware that this is the low, low, low end of the market but all I am looking for is something that can perform a bit better than my P4 2.8)? Also, would the Advent be a better bet than one of those aforementioned business reburbs that are everywhere on ebay?

As I have mentioned, both your help and your pity will be warmly received.

Thanks Dave, I'm wondering if it is too good to be true aswell but it is good to know that it would cope at least reasonably well with FM. I would certainly consider installing XP as I'm no fan of Vista.

It has been pointed out to me that the Radeon 9800 that I had planned to use (if needed) in any new system would not be compatible due to the whole AGP/PCI issue so if I do not go for the Advent I will have to factor in a supercheap PCI card that can cope with FM.

Food for thought - quandry - confusion - doubt. Ponder, ponder, ponder...

Archived