Dead ball situations

I'm having a lot of trouble controlling dead ball situations (Freekicks, corners, throwins) with my newly promoted Boston squad in the Championship. I've now had three games where I've in all three been the equal or better side in terms of field play and chances created (both regular and CCC's), but I've failed to win either one of them because I keep conceding on corners and freekicks or on throwins, both theirs and mine (thrower puts in straight into the feet of the opponent).

I've got three central defenders, all marking tall players, and my central midfielders (all with decent marking) on man marking, with a winger on each post, one striker to close down the corner and the other to stay deep. Either way, are there some general suggestions on how to limit danger from these situations? If any additional information is required, I'll be happy to provide it.

This is what I'm using for defensive corners - 2 Mark tall, 3 stay forward (in my case - 2 WB's, 1 IF), 1 Man mark, 1 edge of area, 2 on the posts (I want them bigger than my 160cm WB's :p), 1 go back (maybe closing down the corner?).

I used to do all the mentioned things too. Not this year. I read from Cleon that she never touched them on a few of her tactics. Left them default. I have been ever since and have never looked back. I don't even assign kick takers anymore, and my goals scored increased even further :D

I touched them after conceding 7 goals from corners in 14 or so games, I was desperate. Tried using match preparation but with no luck. Maybe if you have taller squad is not a problem but my team is composed mainly of smaller guys (no idea why to be honest :lol:) Holzweiler for example is 155cm.

Here is my setup.

Corner kicks(defend)

2 DC or players with best marking. jumping and heading - mark tall

the next 2 players with good marking, jumping and heading - mark small

2 players with poor marking but good jumping and heading - back

2 players with decent or poor marking, jumping and heading - mark posts

2 players with poor jumping and heading but are the fastest(acceleration and pace) - stay forward

Free kicks(defend)

4 or 5 players with best marking, jumping and heading - man mark

4 or 5(depending on above) with decent/poor, jumping and heading - form wall

1 player with poorest jumping and heading but is the fastest - stay forward

Looks like the problem is actually caused by my team giving away a lot of corners and free kicks every game. I've managed to tune down the fouls, but the corners remain a bit of an issue. Although I tend to score from them quite often too, so in the end it's all good.

As well as your teams height have you checked other stats like determination, aggression, strength, jumping, positioning, etc? If all of these are low and you have a small team you are going to struggle with corners.

Archived