Poor Performances / Highly Rated

What experience do people have of buying players that have a low average rating for their current club but are rated highly by scouts and by looking at their statistics? I've generally avoided them down the years but the lack of availability of players has caused me to sign Aubameyang and Abdel Hernandez for Newcastle who have average ratings of only 6.7 but look good statistically.

What are the chances of me getting them playing well you reckon? Have you had experience of this situation? Cheers

You also have to take into account the position they are playing in and the quality of the opposition.

In terms of position DCs & STs find it easier to get higher averages than midfielders, fullbacks or goalkeepers. As for quality a team competing at the top should have higher averages than one fighting relegation.

As for the player if he has played in various leagues and his average drops in higher quality leagues then you can judge where his true ability lies.

The final thing I would mention is the hidden attribute - Consistency. A lowish average can suggest that that the player doesn't play to the best of his ability very often probably due to a low consistency attribute in which case he will underperform a lot compared to his attributes.

I need to judge players by 21 and most don't have much of a track record by that point. So I go by personality. If a player has a good personality then I always figure he will work hard, he will develop, and he will probably play quite well, when settled.

So take a look at their personality, and their strengths/weaknesses. If a player is a big game player (strength) then consistency (weakness) isn't AS MUCH of a concern.

So check their personalities. I like Professional, Determined, Ambitious, Spirited, Resolute, Model Pro, etc.

Archived