New PC Build - Help

Im custom building myself a new PC and from looking on the Footy manager website it says only AMD Athlon proccessors are supported. This is the one I was planning on buying

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd-a10-5800k-black-edition-s-fm2-virgo-core-quad-core-38ghz-amd-radeon-hd-7660d-800mhz-100w-retail

Im quite new to all this computer build stuff but would that run FM ok?

Ive got a solid 8gb RAM, 120gb SSD Drive and am thinking of getting Windows 8

So second question is does Windows 8 run FM ok?

Thanks in advance

I run FM13 on W8 64 Pro with no issues at all - many others do too.

Also, you wrote in your first post "it says only AMD Athlon proccessors are supported". This isn't the case. Intel CPUs work perfectly with FM. The manual link is here:

"*Supported Processors: Intel Pentium 4, Intel Core Family, AMD Athlon"

Popular opinion is that AMD has been inferior for the last few gens, so if you can afford it I would urge to think of something like the 3570k i5 Intel which I personally believe is the best power vs price point for gaming right now. That's purely my opinion however! The AMD you linked would serve you perfectly well too.

I run FM13 on W8 64 Pro with no issues at all - many others do too.

Also, you wrote in your first post "it says only AMD Athlon proccessors are supported". This isn't the case. Intel CPUs work perfectly with FM. The manual link is here:

Popular opinion is that AMD has been inferior for the last few gens, so if you can afford it I would urge to think of something like the 3570k i5 Intel.

Sorry probably slightly misleading in the OP looking back. I meant it only says Athlon processors are the only AMD type supported. Would an i3 be suitable, on quite a tight budget really and wouldn't really use it for much more than playing FM and general computer stuff downloading music, watching films, browsing the internet, light photo editing etc so I though around the £100 mark would be enough.

Im sure I read somewhere around the forums that RAM was more important than processor speed for FM, although I may have dreamt that

Sorry probably slightly misleading in the OP looking back. I meant it only says Athlon processors are the only AMD type supported. Would an i3 be suitable, on quite a tight budget really and wouldn't really use it for much more than playing FM and general computer stuff downloading music, watching films, browsing the internet, light photo editing etc so I though around the £100 mark would be enough.

Im sure I read somewhere around the forums that RAM was more important than processor speed for FM, although I may have dreamt that

Ahh that makes sense! Gotcha.

I'm afraid that the RAM and CPU are both pretty important. Once you have about 4GB RAM though, everything will hinge on your CPU (and RAM is so cheap right now that most builds will have at least that).

For a definitive CPU guide, I suggest you look at the Tom's Hardware hierachy chart. It's a useful comparison between the current ranges. Just go up as far to the top as you can afford!

Ahh that makes sense! Gotcha.

I'm afraid that the RAM and CPU are both pretty important. Once you have about 4GB RAM though, everything will hinge on your CPU (and RAM is so cheap right now that most builds will have at least that).

For a definitive CPU guide, I suggest you look at the Tom's Hardware hierachy chart. It's a useful comparison between the current ranges. Just go up as far to the top as you can afford!

Thanks for all the info :) Its appreciated

Archived