EURO 2004 Online tournament – applications thread >> New online gamers, this is your chance!

Kozak

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guyver:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kozak:

Thanks for F*CKING up this thread Guyver. Please don't post in this thread anymore as it don't make sense. Rdysn did a good job at Bulgaria and nobody accused him from things that were out of order. Please don't spoil it for us al. icon_rolleyes.gif Thanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'll post in this thread if i choose to. I never said anyone was accusing him of anything. its me who you were having a go at. I know most of whats been said.

I couldnt give a monkeys about what you think.

If i'm asked to help him then thats none of ur business i'm afraid and some of the things said seemed to belittle him when its his 1st major online tournament.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

just leave it guyvur! You say you dont care what he thinks, so why dont u just shut up and stop arguing.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr X:

Kozak and Kuky could you email me with regards your positives and negatives of how this tournement ran.

I'm going to set up the drop in game format soon.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

whats that?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by james_newson:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr X:

Kozak and Kuky could you email me with regards your positives and negatives of how this tournement ran.

I'm going to set up the drop in game format soon.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

whats that?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

read up on the cmo announcement 11 thread icon_smile.gif

Guyver i'm not asking you to drop this argument now, comprendes icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got no probs with most people, i just feel i'm getting slated for helping a mate in what was a tough job, bulgarian boss

but i never saw games, majority of info was relayed by msn messanger. and i cant comment on numerous changes as i didnt see them

when asked for views and opinions i ansered and offered advice. i didnt know it was supposedly gonna destroy the tournament, he didnt have to listen to me.

i did try to speak to people involved but they refused to acknowledge me. their choice.

i've put my views across, that fair enough mr x?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> fair enough mr x <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

alls fair in love and war icon_wink.gif

You are entitled to your views yes, but when it just clutters up a thread its no. your argument whether right or wrong should of been held with the person over a private chat client. This was a clan update thread.

This isnt the GQ where difference of opinion and debate are common place. This is the CMO where we play games and post game updates to the masses. I dont want to see petty arguments in here full stop. If you dont agree with this dont post in here as i will be on your case. There will be only one loser and it wont be me icon_wink.gif.

This applies to everyone btw.

Now drop this discussion and enjoy the CMO for what it is, a gaming forum icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> fair enough mr x <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

alls fair in love and war icon_wink.gif

You are entitled to your views yes, but when it just clutters up a thread its no. your argument whether right or wrong should of been held with the person over a private chat client. This was a clan update thread.

This isnt the GQ where difference of opinion and debate are common place. This is the CMO where we play games and post game updates to the masses. I dont want to see petty arguments in here full stop. If you dont agree with this dont post in here as i will be on your case. There will be only one loser and it wont be me icon_wink.gif.

This applies to everyone btw.

Now drop this discussion and enjoy the CMO for what it is, a gaming forum icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

fair enough about keeping it private. i did try, they wouldnt aknowledge that, i'll happily close it there, but just to let u know i couldnt chat privately to others,

On a much more interesting point, is players teaming up and combining their knowledge unfair? Most clans are pretty competetive so this doesn't happen much but if you're going to, it's only fair to discuss it in an open chat room and offer similar help to all the other players. CMO is each manager on his own fighting it out. Managers teaming up etc. can ruin it but I acknowledge that many of the players involved in this tournament are new and aren't familiar with playing CM 'socially' so I think that Kozak should do a sort of de-briefing which would be constructive criticisms for all and saying how they can improve etc. (if they need to).

point taken. i dont really play it online much due to other commitments.

each group should have rules on that, but i understand ur views.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guyver:

point taken. i dont really play it online much due to other commitments.

each group should have rules on that, but i understand ur views.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

it wasn't really directed at you, it was more of a point in general that sprung in my mind whilst reading your argument. I'm interested to know what other people think about this (whether manager's sharing ideas, tactics etc. is a good thing)

i know u werent directing it at me,

i've played an online game against ppl (on cm4) where i previously advised with tactics et and they've used them.

my challege was to counter it, i didnt succeed.

i guess in an online game there will be differing views and have to go with majority..

in the end , noone forces u to play the game

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by exchampionsfan:

On a much more interesting point, is players teaming up and combining their knowledge unfair? Most clans are pretty competetive so this doesn't happen much but if you're going to, it's only fair to discuss it in an open chat room and offer similar help to all the other players. CMO is each manager on his own fighting it out. Managers teaming up etc. can ruin it but I acknowledge that many of the players involved in this tournament are new and aren't familiar with playing CM 'socially' so I think that Kozak should do a sort of de-briefing which would be constructive criticisms for all and saying how they can improve etc. (if they need to).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TBH who cares, if someone in my clan game tries to better me thats his biscuit. I've been playing clan warfare for 5 yrs now and have seen others work their way through the tactics forum and gpg to get one up on me. The dogmeister usually prevails tho icon_wink.gif. Its a no holds bar clan environment lads, aslong as no one is cheating we should all be able to cope.

Also to add the above, the forums alone provide more info that another sidekick on msn.

My overall thoughts on it are, the actual matches were good, nailbiting stuff. I was proud to lead Bulgaria to the semi's where they traditionally fall. My main goal though was to get in a clan, but instead some guy who was knocked out earlier in the tournament got in, which was dispapointing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rdysn5:

My overall thoughts on it are, the actual matches were good, nailbiting stuff. I was proud to lead Bulgaria to the semi's where they traditionally fall. My main goal though was to get in a clan, but instead some guy who was knocked out earlier in the tournament got in, which was dispapointing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This was not a 'qualifier' for a clan. It was a chance for you to learn and discover about playing CM online and it's now up to you to try and join one. I'm glad that you've enjoyed it and hope that you will get even more involved in the CMO community in the future icon_smile.gif

I need to make a big apology for not appearing on sat afternoon. What happened was this.

I went out to a club on Friday night after the first session and I pulled. I ended up waking up in a strange flat in the middle of Ayr (miles from home) at about 11 o'clock and I didn't get home until after 2pm.

I didn't think there would be much point joining the game at that time coz I thought it would be all but over and someone else would probably have taken my place.

Strange but true.

So once again, my apologies. Having read the thread it sounded like it was a good experience (for most people anyway) and I hope no-one holds this against me in the future - it was a one off. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rdysn5:

My main goal though was to get in a clan, but instead some guy who was knocked out earlier in the tournament got in, which was dispapointing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't see what guy you mean??? icon_confused.gif

If you mean Dez who knocked you out? He never was knocked out as he hadn't been in the draw. He only took over Dogs'Italy job as he was working.

Briefing of the tournamentos:

Organizing this sort of tournaments is quite heavy as I say myself. Where the preparation is quite the same as starting a normal game, you get to deal with 15 (or more) people you don't know very good.

And if you start a clan then you start with a lower number of people. At least I would advice that. Good for me was that I had my trusted World Clan host Kuky for hosting. As organizing & hosting at the same time for such a tournament seems impossible for me. Just an example is having 7 different chat mirrors opened at 1 time at the start of the game. icon_eek.gif Then its good to see somebody else taking care for the saving part of the game thats also very important. Also the draw was fun as I say it myself.

Some less fun:

* First thing that always occur is that some people apply and don't show up. No problems with that as long its not too many people doing that. We had two people not there. We filled this up with the reserve spots we had. So I think its better not to call their names in here. One of them let me know today that his computer was dead. So forgiven.

* Further we had a guy called Mballack who I don't forgive! icon_frown.gif He may thank God that he got a chance in this competition with the bad unreliable reputation he already had. First there were the problems with not be able to join the chatroom. And when I tried to help him I had to wait 15mins for an answer while he asked some of the same again and again. At the end he was helped which took me too long though. But....he could play and went in the draw. Drawed Italy (great team with title chances), but what happened. Italy didnt add manager in the 1st hour. What seemed he was asking for a crack file because he couldnt connect to the server. icon_biggrin.gif How annoying can this be, if you are doing your best to get such a guy to play CMOnline. So he was kicked from MSN-group and a new Italy manager should be searched for with just 30 mins of T&T to go. Thanks to MBallack!

Less irritating was the loss of Da88en. This guy didnt get his game to work properly and gave us at least 1 hour for searching a new Denmark manager. This is the way I expect it. At the last minute we came in with Dogs as Italy manager and Royalman as Denmark manager however both didn't play many matches due to different reasons. Can't blame them as they were very late entries. At least thanks for your help.

* After the T&T we went on holiday what is not that smart, as our squads went back to default. Just an idea for future games: Don't go on holliday before confirming the squads. icon_wink.gif

OK some fast discussion with the host Kuky: we went back to the saved games and costed us some time, but is was a good choice I think. Good point there weren't people moaning about it. Nice this was.

Back on story:

On friday evening we decided to all play 1 match and that went how it was planned. Game was finished at 10.30 UK-time so we could go to bed after some surprises. Scotland took a point against the French side of Paul Bray. My Russia got a 2-1 win against Spain from Danish oldie Birk (aka Michael Nielsen). Also Italy, Holland & England lost points on the first day of the tournament.

Back on track on Saterday with an long afternoon session from 12.00 till 17.30 UK-time. It was nice to see all teams in the fight for the 2nd round till the last minute. Unfortunately for me Luis Figo had a bad day against my rivals Spain what costed me a 2nd round on goal difference. Surprises of the 1st round were the France shocking 4th place ( icon14.gifPaul Bray), Englands' 4th place (icon_biggrin.gif) and the narrow escapes by Spain, Italy and Germany. Everything ran smoothly during the group rounds. However we got no Italy & Denmark manager most of the time. Think the Denmark manager played only 1 match over the whole tournament himself however they reached the semis.

Quarter final teams: Italy (1 game by Dogs), Spain (Birk), Portugal (BelfastNiall), Czech Republic (Wee_Ian), Germany (Stev0NUFC), Scotland (james Newson), Denmark (1 game by Royalman), Bulgaria (Rdysn).

At that stage of the tournament we got to deal with a young online newbie, that needed to be taught how to play online. But I assume that are things where you have to deal with if you give newbies a chance. You could see some others started irritation on waiting. This problem came from the game up the forum and spoiled some of the thread' fun. Especially when people outside the game think they know it better. So two online rules you can see are:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Play "social" and keep up a decent speed. Tactic changes and substitutes are no problem as long as you don't make them TOO much.

<LI>Keep your problems from the forum. It gives a bad taste to the game icon_redface.gif.

Semi Finals:

Italy (Dez replaced Dogs at this point) vs Bulgaria (Rdysn>>great result mate) [2] - [0]

Czech Republic (Wee_Ian) vs Denmark [2] - [1]

This all ended in a breathtaking match with about 9 supporters to see Wee_Ian win the tournament. Happy to see a guy win that played all matches from start till end. A red card for Italy late in the game just after the 1-0 gave Czech republic the comeback. A great freekick goal by the Czech brought them in Extra time. With a penalties as result. With many misses the Czech Republic made an end to this tournament.

With the winner: IAN PATON! icon14.gif

The positive points afterwards:

* A tourmanent like this takes much waiting as all teams play after each other and not at the same time. I haven't heard anyone moaning about this and there was some fun inside the chatroom.

* It was shown that its important to see some other clan organisers taking part as well to meet these new online guys. BelfastNiall was searching a new guy for his clan. At the end it was James Newson (Scotland manager) who got a spot in his clan. And from what I've seen he is busy making an EDT-file for that game.

The winner (also unexperienced gun) Wee_Ian already signed a contract at Steffs' "Old firm in the Premiership Clan" before the tournament started.

A third guy that proved his 56k didn't slow us down gets a spot in my own World Clan. He got in talks with 36EE fat tits, who already gets a chance in my clan. And a new friendship seems to born there icon_smile.gif. Birk told me he especially like this short term tournaments is looking forward to more of this sort of games. For other "newbies" Stev0NUFC and Rdysn I hope they will find the right online clan soon. Only thing I can say is make contacts on MSN what gives you a much better chance joining one. Royalman & Superayrunited didn't play more than 1 match. So can't say much about them.

* Thanks go to all players that made this a good story. Good luck all.

Tips for future organizers of these tournaments:

# Make sure you have some support organizing the game.

# Contact the "unexperienced" guns before the game on MSN. Tell them the Game version + times again. So give them answers on the questions they have.

# Do not overkill these tournaments. Don't organize them each week as I think 6-8 hours is quite heavy. Once in the 2 weeks or once a month can be enough in my opinion. Looking to myself I can see me organising such a tourmanent again. But not more than 2/3 times a year as its quite heavy.

# Try to get some clan organisers in also. These gives a fresh meeting with other clan people and gives "newbies" a better chance to get contacts.

Overall a nice tournament if I say myself. And if you have questions you can ask them in this thread.

Cheers,

Kozakov, Russian manager on Euro 2004

Great post Kozak thanks for your honesty. Here are my solutions to some of your points raised with regards the playing of this pilot tourney

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Organizing this sort of tournaments is quite heavy as I say myself <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The new drop in game will need little organisation as the format will already be in place for the host to follow

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> As organizing & hosting at the same time for such a tournament seems impossible for me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again within the new drop in game format we will hopefully have a rota roster of 6-8 dedicated hosts. So little organisation ideally and reliable hosts already in place.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>First thing that always occur is that some people apply and don't show up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With the drop in game there will be no applications hence no disapointment if players dont turn up. Whether 10 or 2 players turn up on that hosts week will be irrelevant. The service will be provided.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Drawed Italy (great team with title chances), but what happened. Italy didnt add manager in the 1st hour. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

in format the host will delegate teams to the users as they arrive so killing time. (note if players miss the cut off time for the start it will be at the hosts discretion to whether they are allowed to join or not. The hosts decision on the night is final)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> And when I tried to help him I had to wait 15mins for an answer while he asked some of the same again and again<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a very important point, communication is paramount, if players dont communicate, the host on the night will kick those that are ignoring instructions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> This guy didnt get his game to work properly and gave us at least 1 hour <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the new drop in game format players that turn up in the chat room will have to have the game requirements and be patched up to the standard stipulated in the thread. If they dont they dont play, the host will not wait.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> * After the T&T we went on holiday what is not that smart, as our squads went back to default. Just an idea for future games: Don't go on holliday before confirming the squads. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another important point raised that will be written into the saved games template for the host to oversee. The saved games template (WC and euro) will start on championship deadline day so after the joined players comfrim their squads the host can place everyone on hols till the opening day of the championships without fear of the above.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> At that stage of the tournament we got to deal with a young online newbie, that needed to be taught how to play online. But I assume that are things where you have to deal with if you give newbies a chance. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The drop in game format is for new guys simple. The host himself on the night will make a decision on whether the speed of play is acceptable or not, making allowances for experience and consideration for the other players and educate accordingly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> This problem came from the game up the forum and spoiled some of the thread' fun. Especially when people outside the game think they know it better <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This will not be tolerated on the drop in thread that will be set up. The thread will be for the host to post his admin duties from that night and also any feeback from the players involved. Any abuse in thread will result in cards.

[This message was edited by Mr X on 04 January 2004 at 19:44.]

[This message was edited by Mr X on 04 January 2004 at 19:47.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kozak:

My main goal though was to get in a clan, but instead some guy who was knocked out earlier in the tournament got in, which was dispapointing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you mean Dez who knocked you out? He never was knocked out as he hadn't been in the draw. He only took over Dogs'Italy job as he was working.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

james n i think it was

If you mean Dez who knocked you out? He never was knocked out as he hadn't been in the draw. He only took over Dogs'Italy job as he was working.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

james n i think it was<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah its not the winner getting a clan spot. Its all about networking with the organisers. Niall liked James so gave him a spot in his clan.

That and I have my own Clan icon_biggrin.gif

james n i think it was<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well dont blame me. Niall asked me if i wanted to join his clan and i accepted straight away and there wasn't really a chance i was going to say no. My first real CMO clan i am invloved in! icon_smile.gif

Archived