Help with possession

I'm running a 5-3-2 / 3-5-2 (2 attacking WB's set in the wingback position, not in the D position). Playing as Juventus, and attempting to replicate what their existing tactic does in terms of possession.

I'm not unhappy with my results at all - topping the league by a wide margin in consecutive years, best goal differential, and typically outshoot my opponents. Just struggling to get as much of the possession as I "want." Typically I don't really break 50%, and I'd like to see it up higher, at Barca-like levels.

3 DC's [all on defend]

2 WBs [attack]

1 DLP

1 Box-to-box MC [support or attack, doesn't seem to help]

1 BWM/box-to-box MC (depending on who's playing there), [typically on support, but even one on attack doesn't seem to help]

1 DLF [support]

1 AF/Poacher [attack]

Fluid - Control (sometimes "attacking" but more often control) - DLP as my playmaker (Pirlo's beard!) - i do have "counterattack" checked - short passing - increased pressing - normal tempo

Shouts for playing out of the back, pressing even more, playing it into the box are used at start of game.

Wondering why I can't get my possession percentage up so that I'm really outpossessing the opponent by a real degree. Do I need to uncheck counterattack maybe? Then I get worried I won't try to counterattack at all I guess...

Do I need to up the tempo to something quicker to go with the short passing?

Should I be on "attack" and not "control?"

I've got a grueling preseason of 10 or so friendlies to get my squad at least somewhat familiar with a new tactic, so if anyone has any insight it would be great...otherwise I'll go home and try to mess around with it myself and try some different things.

Thanks

Well the exact team and player settings are of course a matter of taste and especially a matter of what suits your team, but my tactics are very similar to yours. One thing I found was that pushing the DM up to MC (and having him on a DLP/D) improved my defense massively. What it does is to increase the width a lot since the three MCs will form a line across the pitch instead of just a "v" in the centre. Might not work for you, but it certainly did the trick for me. :)

That makes sense Pele - thanks. I'll look at changing fluid and play out the back then. I think I must have misunderstood "play out the back", and well...I guess I'll have to find a balance between creative/freedom and possession :D

And now that you mention it - I think in FM12 I had my DLP as a MC and if I recall, I got much better possession stats in that version.

Like I said - not upset about the results at all...3x league champions (clinched with 5 games left this last season), 2x CL winners, but just don't feel they're playing quite the style of game I want them to. And since I can always keep my working-tactic saved away, figured a nice long offseason was a chance to experiment with a slightly more "possession-centric" tactic.

[i've have mentioned this in other threads on playing 3 at the back but I'll repeat again]

Against most team the formation they use will have their spare men in the full back positions offering the easy ball away from your wingbacks that will be closing them down. The issue is not that you have problems keeping the ball but you are not able to win the ball back. Move your Wingbacks to MR/L positions (just like Juve)and set the roles to Defensive Wingers (Attack)

I promise you that your possession will increase :)

[i've have mentioned this in other threads on playing 3 at the back but I'll repeat again]

Against most team the formation they use will have their spare men in the full back positions offering the easy ball away from your wingbacks that will be closing them down. The issue is not that you have problems keeping the ball but you are not able to win the ball back. Move your Wingbacks to MR/L positions (just like Juve)and set the roles to Defensive Wingers (Attack)

I promise you that your possession will increase :)

Makes sense - I could do that. I had a backup tactic setup like that, but since I was winning I never bothered to switch it up and investigate whether that would help.

I suppose a combination of all this advice will work real well!

Whoa - early returns VERY promising. Several strong showings in a row. For example...

Just played the Italian Super Cup.

3-0 win over Atalanta. 60% possession, 25 shots to their 3.

What did I change:

I kept my WB's in the WB slot (not the midfield slot). Kept "Play out of Defense" on. Moved my DLP up out of the DMC into an MC slot. Kept "Control" as my strategy, but changed to "Rigid" style. I also pushed my defensive line up (instead of deeper), set it to maximum width, upped the tempo to just barely "quick" and moved time-wasting up a notch in "sometimes."

Using the following shouts: Play out of defense, stay on feet, look for overlap, hassle opponents, retain possession.

Awesomeness!

I'm also playing as Juventus and having the same problem, so I'll try moving the DLP to the M C position as well. One question though, are you playing Giovinco as the Deep Lying Forward? The tactics creator highlights Strength as one of the key attributes for that role, probably because of the "hold up ball" instruction, and there are few players as weak as Giovinco.

Archived