league selection, looking for a challenge

Basically i'm utter rubbish as a manager, i find that i get destroyed in the english premiership and tend to stick with lower leagues. However, i seem to dominate league like australia so I am looking for a reasonably good league with a rep somewhere in between. Which leagues could i choose from?

Also, for a challenge, if I wanted to try and make a small nation big (like the san marino challenge) what leagues could i try? Ireland? wales? China? any ideas?

An Aussie, eh?

Well, lets see. The top leagues I'm sure you know: England, Spain, Italy. Then there's Germany and France. Below those would be Holland, Portugal, Scotland (weird league though what with the old firm totally dominating).

But 'below' these leagues are a vast number of quality leagues, in terms of fun and competitiveness. I'd suggest Bulgaria, Poland, Russia, or Turkey for European competition, but also consider S. American leagues. Argentina is a 'classic' league, with strong favorites and a gradual drop-off to the lesser teams. Brazil is insanely competitive, and very difficult to dominate, especially at the lower levels. Uruguay is quite like Argentina, as is Columbia: balanced, but not overly competitive.

If you're rubbish as a manager there's nowhere to go really! But I'd suggest Columbia as the players are of high quality, but the management isn't. Its quite easy to find free transfers there, but even a mediocre squad with good tactics and management will do quite well. Start with Chacarita: good funding and stadia, but in the 2nd division.

To make a small nation big? Go where the talent is. You'll find plenty of that in S. America, but E. Europe, though more thinly spread on talent, has enough to take the world cup as well, on fairly even grounds. Asia, Ireland, N. America. Those are real challenges.

Good luck!

I'm in Australia too, and i tried my hand at the A-League but never really got into it too much,

Got bored quickly in the Premiership but haven't really tried the lower divisions as of yet.

At the moment though i am playing in Serbia with Red Star it is by far the most fun i have had on FM08 thus far (although im just finishing season 3, my longest game yet)

I've started a small Red Star Thread if you want to check it out: Click Here

They're Dominant in the league but struggle to pass the group stages of Europe so its an in betweener...

Also alot of people say Lyon is a very fun game in France and it has a very good and active thread HERE

And there is Shakhtar Donetsk who is similar to Red Star but has ALOOOOTTTTTT more money to spend and you can check them out HERE

I hope these help you decide and hope you have fun with them

Hope these help you out

I would Suggest Ukraine And Shakhtar they expect the league which is possible the only challenge coming from Dinamo Kiev, as for Europe you can go as far as you can they normally only expect the group stage at most but even then are that fussed if you don't make it

Archived