Bring back the good ol' days - Liverpool 2008/09'

EoinS

lfccrest.jpg

Introduction

Liverpool FC were on the brink of something special that season. Torres and Gerrard were an unstoppable force as the two up front, while players such as Xabi Alonso, Javier Mascherano, Daniel Agger and Pepe Reina were known as some of the best in their positions in the Premier League. They had a bright manager in Rafa Benitez, who had guided them to 2nd place in the table the season before, and owners who were willing to spend. But it all went wrong. Selling of star players, followed by overspending on inadequate replacements. Liverpool now are lower then they ever were.

Basically, I assemble the squad of 08/09 and sell all those who weren't at Liverpool at the time (Suarez, Enrique etc.)

Squad

Pepé Reina

Alvaro Arbeloa

Martin Skrtel

Javier Mascherano

Daniel Agger

Xabi Alonso

Dirk Kuyt

Steven Gerrard ©

Fernando Torres

Ryan Babel

Fabio Aurelio

Peter Gulacsi

Jamie Carragher

Andrea Dossena

Lucas Leiva

Jermaine Pennant

Yossi Benayoun

Andriy Voronin

Robbie Keane

David N'Gog

Dean Bouzanis (Youth)

John Flanagan (Youth)

Martin Kelly (Youth)

Stephen Darby (Youth)

Jack Robinson (Youth)

Daniel Ayala (Youth)

Robbie Threlfall (Youth)

Jay Spearing (Youth)

David Amoo (Youth)

Adam Hammill (Youth)

Pajtim Kasami (Youth)

Thomas Ince (Youth)

Alexander Kacaniklic (Youth)

Gary Mackay-Steven (Youth)

Nathan Eccleston (Youth)

Daniel Pacheco (Youth)

Lauri Dalla Valle (Youth)

We start with two friendlies - One at Celtic, and then a home tie with Scunthorpe. Our first two Premier League fixtures are both away; Chelsea and Man City!

I'm going for a 4-4-1-1 tactic, with Gerrard in behind Torres. I'm trying to emulate what Rafa did that season so hopefully this is it!

lfccrest.jpg

Bring back the good ol' days.

Friendlies - July 2011

celtic_minilogo.jpg 1-2lfccrest.jpg

Riena

Aurelio

Flanagan

Skrtel

Agger

Dossena

Kuyt

Alonso

Mascherano

Gerrard

Torres

Torres and Lucas Leiva scored two early goals to settle us. Stokes pulled one back with ten minutes to go but we

held on.

lfccrest.jpg1-0 Scunthorpe_United_Logo_normal.PNG

Gulacsi

Robinson

Flanagan

Ayala

Agger

Pacheco

Amoo

Spearing

Lucas

Kasami

Voronin

I fielded a weakened team and it showed with a below-par performance. Fernando Torres scored the only goal of the game with a header late on.

The friendlies obviously aren't taken as seriously as the league but I was particularly happy with the control we showed at Parkhead. Our young lads had a tough time against Scunthorpe but the first team lads came on and helped them out. We have three difficult games to start the league against Chelsea, Man City and Spurs so we will have to be switched on.

Archived