Livin' On The Edge

sherm

Normally, you hear of people starting out in the game from an early age. Joining a clubs youth academy, starting their first game, captaining the club. Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your stance on it, this isn't a story like that. I never joined a youth academy, I never captained a club. In fact, I never played football at the highest level. I milled around the Conference, the Dr Martens league and a couple of seasons in the third division, 300 plus games, and a comfortable lifestyle. However, it was only after I finished playing the 1995/96 season at Braintree Town that I realised I had another talent. A talent for coaching.

I decided to put myself through the UEFA 'A'and UEFA 'Pro' licenses. It set me back a fair whack, but it was worth it, and I passed with flying colours. I signed a player/coach contract with Braintree, before a coaching role with Hednesford two years later. I caught the eye, and before long, I joined Dundee in the 2001/02 season as the first team coach. I was learning all the time, adapting my styles, and I even spent weeks at a time travelling the globe, taking in Spain, France, Germany, Holland and even Scandinavia. Moving onto the assistants role was the next step, and eventually, I knew I was ready. Now, I just had to wait for my next big break. Funnily enough, it would come sooner than expected...

--

Greenock Morton. An unfashionable club, based in Clyde. They had experienced limited success, amounting to three cup finals, a couple of division two titles, and a couple of runners up spots, but that was it. They had never played in the SPL, at least in its modern incarnation, and that must surely be an ambition for them. They had finished fourth in the 2003/04 campaign, a disappointing finish after being ten points clear at christmas, and John McCormack left his post. It was just four days later that I received the phonecall from Douglas Rae

He was quick to offer me the job, saying that he believed me to be the best candidate. Don't get me wrong, the money wasn't massive, but the opportunity to have my own job, mould a team of my own and bring my own methods in was too much to resist. I accepted there and then. I was heading to Cappielow Park...

--

Clyde and Forth Press

Wallace to join the Ton

Greenock Morton have moved quickly to announce the appointment of their new manager, as Englishman Michael Wallace takes the hotseat at Cappielow Park. The 38 year old has forged himself a reputation as a well respected and exceptional coach, aswell as a number two, but it will remain to be seen how well he can take the being the man in charge. With the club harbouring ambitions of a promotion challenge, it will need all of Wallace's knowledge of the Scottish game to ensure that happens

Chairman Douglas Rae has expressed his belief that Wallace will be the right man to lead the club, but the Birmingham born manager will need all the support from his chairman and the board...

Cheers 10-3!

---

The squad was of a decent standard for this level, with standout players such as Peter Weatherson, James Walker and Alex Williams. There were also other such good talents as Craig Coyle, John and Marco, the Maisano brothers, and Derek Collins, the club record appearance holder. I was fairly confident with what we had, but obviously squad strengthening would be a priority to help us in our promotion push

--

While my professional life had been pretty good to me, always providing me with what I needed, my personal life had, well, a few blips. I was 38 now, and without children. I had never married. Not for lack of women that is. I always had the chance and the relationships, but the amount I moved around and the nature of the career I led, none of them ever lasted long or went anywhere. There was a three month long fling with Charlotte, before a six month effort with Adele. Julia, Michaela, Janine and Amy all followed, but as was the case, none lasted anywhere near long enough to be considered serious. However, when I was 29, I met a lady called Caroline Taylor. I had been out for dinner with friends, and it was at the bar we headed to afterwards that I saw her. Her flowing black hair, slim physique and elegant dress were the immediate factors. I was evidently aware (as was she) that I was staring, but I couldn't help myself. In the end, a ten pound tip to the waiter saw a drink go over to her from me, with a phone number. Something obviously worked, as it ended up being a five year long relationship

Things started well, and I mean really well, with the first 18 months going smoothly. Then, it all went downhill. Arguments after arguments. Things thrown, it just descended into chaos. Don't get me wrong, it did have some good moments, and when we were good together, we were good together, but when we were bad, it was a nightmare. After five years, we had both decided enough was enough, and it was only right to go our seperate ways. Women came and went, flings, nights, just general enjoyment. Nothing more, and I threw myself into my career.

--

Simon Downer was my first ever signing, and the centre back, a former Leyton Orient man, was a solid and reliable enough player to be a decent contender for a starting spot. He was strong, good in the air, and was quick to read the tackle, so for no fee, he was a great asset. Simon was followed just a few hours later by Matty Warner. This was a signing I was very excited about, as the 17 year old was a real hot prospect, and one that I felt could be a star in the making. Matty was quick, with quick and skilful feet, and he had a mean left foot that could whip in a mean cross, and with the likes of Williams and Weatherson to cross to, that was just what we needed.

Our first pre-season game would see Premiership side Middlesbrough visit Cappielow Park, and it was an example of how far we had to come, as we were thoroughly outplayed. By a mid-table side. I look back at the game and can only remember two chances we created, which was a header by Peter Weatherson, which went over the bar, and a half volley from John Maisano, which fizzed past the post, but goals from Stewart Downing, Szilard Nemeth and Joseph Job sent us packing with our tails between our legs.

"Fair play, they were just that much better than us"

"I know, but we have to improve"

"Well, I'm off the meet with a lad who I think will make us much more stronger, so fingers crossed"

That man was Blackburn centre half Alex Bruce. He cost £22,000, but I was absolutely confident that he would provide a great option at the heart of the defence. I felt that he and Downer would be an excellent partnership, and one that would flourish with time together. Following the addition of Bruce, I also added Gavin Skelton to the ranks, in a free transfer. He was a skilful, dynamic central midfielder, and I was delighted to have him in the squad.

Another pre-season defeat followed, but this time, a better performance from the players meant only a 1-0 defeat, this time to Charlton. Paul Walker was impressive in this match, everything we created coming through him, but a goal from Radostin Kishishev just four minutes before the end sent us crashing. Though pre-season was not important, at least in terms of results, I always hated to lose. The formation I had used in the first two games had been a diamond 4-4-2 style, but both fullbacks had struggled. Taking that into account, I felt compelled to change it, so decided to go for a 3-5-2, with a four man midfield and that holding role occupied. This would only work if we defended from the front, but with our next match welcoming Bristol Rovers, it would be a good test.

--

I had decided to explore the local haunts that evening, so when I left the flat and entered the main street, I was in search of a pub. Needless to say, it didn't take me long to find one, and I entered the Crown and Kettle. It was smoky, but fairly busy, and it struck me as being a decent little boozer. I had chosen casual clothes, and was fairly certain that nobody would recognise me, so I headed straight to the bar and ordered a pint. I sat on one of the stools, sipping and watching the sports news channel, when I suddenly became aware of a commotion behind me. I turned round, and saw one of the customers harrassing the barmaid. His companion was stood behind him, egging him on, and she certainly seemed like she didn't want the attention

"Lads, I think it's time you leave the lady alone"

I had walked over to ease the situation as well as I could, but it soon escalated

"**** off!"

"Look, I'm not getting into it. Leave her alone"

He edged towards me, taking a swing, but I saw it coming, ducked, and grabbed his arm. I wrestled him to the ground, forcefully enough so as not to hurt him but to let him know I was there

"I told you not to go there. Behave yourself son"

"Who the **** do you think you are? I'll have you..."

I had to laugh. Beer talk, clearly

"Tell me that when I've not got you on the floor. Now, time to go..."

With that, I pushed him out of the door, checked that the barmaid was alright, before finishing my drink and taking my leave

I had visited three more pubs that night, before heading home, but due to having not had a drink for a few months, I felt a little delicate when I woke up the morning. Arriving at the ground, I was greeted by my newly appointed coach Simon Clifford. He had been instructed to find some squad players, to make up the numbers, and reckoned he had the perfect two. Jermaine Brown was a winger, who had pace and skill, and though he would struggle to oust Paul Walker from the side, he would be a decent safety net. The same could be said for Oldham midfielder Danny Boshell. A tough tackling central midfielder, he wasn't shy about putting his foot in, and for a combined fee of £2,000, I thought it was worth a punt.

Bristol Rovers were the third of our pre-season games, and it was against the League Two side that we gained our first win, as we ran out with a 4-2 victory. A good start had a lot to do with it, as goals from Alex Williams and Gavin Skelton in the opening quarter of an hour set us on the way. Williams took his well, beating his man and firing into the corner, before Skelton picked up the loose ball and fired home through a crowded penalty area. The visitors used this to pick up the pace, and just before the interval, Junior Agogo netted, but when Iain Diack netted less than six minutes after coming on, it looked settled. Agogo had other ideas, heading home on 76 minutes, but finally we killed the game off. Craig Coyle's long clearance found John Maisano, who took the ball down. He sprayed it wide for Matt Warner, who crossed for Diack, and the striker deftly guided the ball home for the fourth and securing my first win.

The players had gained a little more confidence following that win, so when we rocked up to face Bolton (or their reserves, as they were dubbed) we were very upbeat. To say it was the reserves was, well, a little unfair, as there were several of their first team players in the side. However, that didn't stop us, as we came away with a terrific 3-2 win. Iain Diack opened the scoring, breaking clear of the defence and sliding the ball home, but it was the second goal that showed our capabilities, as Matty Warner and Gavin Skelton combined in the middle of the park, before Skelton fired a 45 yard pass into the area. Diack headed it back, and John Maisano volleyed home from the edge of the box, a superb strike. Bolton stepped up a gear, Henrik Pedersen getting back into it with a tap in, but Alex Williams headed home on 74 minutes to all but seal the win. Ricardo Gardner curled a free-kick into the top corner in the final minutes, but it mattered not and we claimed a super win

--

That night, I toasted our win with a can, but decided to head to the pub for a couple more. I walked in to be greeted with a pint and the barmaid telling me that it was on her, as thanks for the last time I was in. Now, I'm not the sort of person to take a free drink, as it makes me feel uncomfortable, so as I bought a second, I gave her enough for the two. It's only fair. I was beginning to like the little pub, it was a homely, warm little place, and the perfect establishment to enjoy a quiet pint after a hard day's work.

Sitting down in the office with Simon Clifford, I decided it was time to prepare for the opening game of the season. I knew that the formation we would be playing included three centre halves, a defensive midfielder, with four across the midfield, and two upfront, so it gave us plenty of strength in the midfield, which is where I believed games were won and lost

"You honestly think three at the back is enough?"

Simon was an advocate of four at the back, but once I explained to him my philosophy, it was easier for him

"I do. With the man in the holding role, it gives us plenty of solidness, and with four across midfield, we won't lose many midfield battles, and we have the attacking threat with two up top"

"Fair enough. So, who's your ideal eleven?"

"Craig in goal, but we do need another 'keeper. Stewart, Derek, Alex at the back, with Chris in the holding role. Paul and Matty on the flanks, Gavin and John in the middle, then Peter and Alex upfront. Obviously, we have good back-up players, but that is our ideal eleven I think"

The final pre-season game was against Sheffield United, and though we lost 3-1, I was pleased to see that the players were at an ideal level of fitness for the start of the season. The chairman, Douglas Rae, had made it clear that he expected a promotion push this campaign, and I would certainly be trying my best. I also harboured a secret ambition to do well in one of the cup competitions, maybe a decent run to gain some financial stability, but I kept that one to myself

That said, the first game was a Challenge Cup match, one which saw Berwick make the trip to Cappielow Park. I opted for our strongest eleven, and we started pretty well. Peter Weatherson tested the 'keeper's hands in the opening minutes, and Alex Bruce headed over from a corner. Peter was getting frustrated at being marked out of the match, so much so that a lunge earnt him a yellow card, and I immediately dragged him off. It was his replacement, Warren Hawke, who won us the penalty that set us on our way, as he jinked in and out of the box, before tripping over an outstretched foot. Paul Walker stepped up and smashed it home to send us in at the break ahead. It didn't take long in the second half to extend that lead, Matty Warner sliding the ball through for Alex Williams, who took it in his stride and slotted home beautifully into the corner. Seaton brought the visitors back into it three minutes later, but we confirmed our stranglehold on the game when Warren Hawke lost his marker and headed home at the near post to seal the win, and our passage into round two

"Decent performance boss. Good attacking play and solid at the back"

"It was. They're a Division Three side though, if we play a better team we need to be better than that"

Simon nodded his head, before a he snorted at the ratings in the paper

"You seen this? Paul Walker only got a 7? Rubbish. He was our best player on the day"

"I wouldn't take too much notice. Match reports in the paper are nonsense!"

--

July 2004 Summary

(All results and scorers included)

Pre-Season Friendly #1

Morton 0-3 Middlesbrough

(Downing 23 ; Nemeth 56; Job 72)

Pre-Season Friendly #2

Morton 0-1 Charlton

(Kishishev 86)

Pre-Season Friendly #3

Morton 4-2 Bristol Rovers

(Williams 9 ; Skelton 13 ; Agogo 44, 76 ; Diack 59, 84)

Pre-Season Friendly #4

Morton 3-2 Bolton Reserves

(Diack 23 ; J.Maisano 38 ; Pedersen 62 ; Williams 74 ; Gardner 79)

Pre-Season Friendly #5

Morton 1-3 Sheffield United

(Tonge 12 ; Hawke 34 ; Jagielka 66 ; Peschisolido 78)

Challenge Cup Round 1

Morton 3-1 Berwick

(Walker pen 39; Williams 48 ; Seaton 51 ; Hawke 62)

Our season had kicked off in fine style, but nothing could have prepared me for our form in the next four games. I had watched training from the sidelines, only chipping in with the odd comment here and there about things, but Simon Clifford was more than capable, and more than happy to take training himself. The lads were impressive, clicking together well and gelling nicely into formation, and they were well prepared for the visit of promotion favourites Brechin

The visitors had been made favourites ahead of us, but in this game, we blew them away. We tore them to shreds over the 90 minutes, sending a decisive, early message to the rest of the division. The opener came just before the half hour mark, Matty Warner swinging a corner to the near post, and Stewart Greacen met it perfectly to guide it home. It was only a matter of time before we scored again, and it came from Alex Williams. The striker latched on to a through ball, before deftly finishing through the goalkeepers legs. 2-0 at half time quickly became 3-0 after the break, substitute Warren Hawke firing home the fourth after a scramble in the penalty area, and though we had chance after chance, we had to wait until the 89th minute for the fourth, Hawke again picking up the ball and curling home into the bottom corner

"Can't ask for much more than that Si. Solid, excellent going forward...great performance"

"Aye. Matty Warner was superb, as was Gav Skelton"

"I was impressed with the back three. Calm, collected and organised"

"Keep that up and we'll have no problems. Anyway, fancy a drink?"

"Sure. I know a cracking little pub"

It was nice to go and unwind after a match, talk about it over a beverage and discuss the good and bad points, and Simon was becoming a close ally. We had four pints that night before departing, but on the fourth, I was given a piece of paper with a phone number on. I had found out that the girl behind the bar was called Fiona, and she had obviously pre-empted my action and got there first, but now I had her number, there could be dinner and drinks ahead

Cheers Mark! Glad to have you aboard

---

Following on from the Brechin win, we travelled to face Dumbarton, and in our first away game, we put in an even better performance. Well, I say we, but Paul Walker bagged four goals to ensure that we picked up maximum points. The first was in the tenth minute, as he raced through after cutting insideand firing home into the bottom corner. The winger was involved in the second goal too, as his pass found Skelton, who lofted the ball into Alex Williams, who swivelled and fired into the bottom corner. Two quickfire goals set us on the way, and we should have scored more, with Walker, Warner, Bruce and John Maisano all testing the home 'keeper, but it wasn't until the 66th minute that we saw another strike, Warner being tripped in the box, and Walker smashing it down the middle. Five minutes later, he sealed the points and his hat-trick, curling home the ball from the edge of the box. Rodgers did pull one back a few minutes later, but five minutes from the end, Walker headed a fourth for himself, and sealed a terrific 5-1 away win.

The team had started brilliantly, nine goals in the opening two league games, some free flowing football and exciting the crowd, but there was a long way to go. I had also spoken to Fiona and arranged to meet her for a drink, so I was nervous about that (although I was acting the big I am). I was picking her up at the Crown, where we would have a drink, before heading into town and having a few drinks. I pulled the cobwebs off of my best suit, dusted it off and went to meet her. It was a pleasant evening, we learnt a lot about each other. She has three older brothers, and her dad died when she was eleven. She obviously found that emotional, as tears appeared, but she carried on. I told her about my career, my personal life (leaving out most of the women) and in general we got on like a house on fire. As I escorted her back home, we arranged to meet up again, and I gave her a kiss on the cheek before making my own way home.

--

I took a little bit of ribbing off Simon, as he kept asking me how things went in the next few days, but by the time we welcomed Arbroath to Cappielow, he had forgotten about it. The players however had remembered their recent good form, as they once again destroyed the opposition and claimed a 4-0 win. Alex Williams set us on our way just before the half hour, but he could quite easily have had two or three before that, however, his lovely finish after taking down Skelton's cross giving us the lead. It took just five minutes for us to double the lead, Warner using his skill to get to the byline, before pulling the ball back for Paul Walker to slide into the bottom corner. Walker then turned provider for John Maisano, sliding a ball through for the midfielder to dink over the onrushing 'keeper, giving us a 3-0 lead before the break and all but securing the points. We did just that five minutes into the second half, Williams lashing home a 20 yard drive and continuing our excellent early season form

Though our form had been phenomenal to start with, what happened in our next game was, well, even more awesome than anything so far, as we travelled to Somerset Park to face Ayr United. They were contenders for promotion early on, avoiding defeat in their opening few games, but we sent them away with a resounding defeat, as we ripped them to shreds with a 7-1 win. I had a feeling we would have a decent game when Peter Weatherson headed home after just 29 seconds, latching on to the end of Matty Warner's cross. We temporarily slowed down after that, allowing the home side into the game, and we paid for this when O'Neill lashed his side level, making the most of a defensive error and firing home. That however, was the signal for the rampage to start, and we scored six unanswered goals. Weatherson was the man on fire, and he slotted home his second, on 26 minutes, before another header sealed his hat-trick. Walker scored a fourth before half time, and going in at 4-1 meant I had the easiest team-talk. Matty Warner had set up three of our first four, and he grabbed the fifth himself, jinking into the box and slotting the ball home past the 'keeper. Goals six and seven came late on, and both from Weatherson, a penalty on 71 minutes, and another header, eight minutes from time, sealing the demolition job

--

Clyde and Forth Press

Four out of Four

Though many thought that Morton would be right up there challenging for promotion, nobody could have expected them to start the season in such a spectacular style as they have. Four games, four wins, twenty goals scored. It has looked so easy for them to score when they go forward, and they've looked solid at the back too

Manager Michael Wallace has been shocked himself by the style in which they started the campaign. "I'd never have dreamed of averaging five goals a game for the first four of the season, but the way we played has been something of a shock. Just phenomenal"

It remains to be seen as to whether the side can keep it going for a while longer yet, but they have at least given themselves a platform to build on for the next few games...

--

Our final game of August was the next round of the Challenge Cup, and we welcomed Division One side Falkirk to Cappielow. It was a chance for us to show that we had come a long way and we could compete with better sides, and its fair comment to say that is what we did. Warren Hawke put us ahead after four minutes, using his skill to jink in and out, and we should have had more. Hawke, Skelton, Bruce and Brown all should have scored, and we paid for missing chances when Thomson equalised, and we were forced into extra time. More chances came and went but eventually, just two minutes before the end, we sealed our passage, Warner squaring right across for Alex Williams to fire into the unguarded goal, and send us through 2-1.

August 2004 Summary

(Division 2 unless stated)

Morton 4-0 Brechin

(Greacen 27 ; Williams 42 ; Hawke 46, 89)

Dumbarton 1-5 Morton

(Walker 10, pen 66, 71, 85 ; Williams 13 ; Rodgers 74)

Morton 4-0 Arbroath

(Williams 28, 50 ; Walker 33 ; J.Maisano 37)

Ayr United 1-7 Morton

(Weatherson 1, 26, 40, pen 71, 82 ; O'Neill 18 ; Walker 42 ; Warner 65)

Challenge Cup Round 2

Morton 2-1 Falkirk (a.e.t)

(Hawke 4 ; Thomson 16 ; Williams 118)

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Mark. I couldn't believe the scoring start we made to the season

---

"Hey, it's me. You ok?"

"I'm fine thankyou. So what can I do for you?"

"Well, I was just wondering what you were doing tomorrow night?"

There was a pause, which is usually never good, but I felt a smile on the other end of the phone

"I'm working till 6, but we can have some drinks if you like?"

"Actually, I was wondering if you wanted dinner? My place, about 8?"

"Oooh, that sounds like a plan. You're on"

--

The League Cup was our next challenge, and we welcomed Clyde. The visitors had fielded a pretty strong side, while I chose to rest several of my first team players. However, it was probably our slowest start to a game, as we were on the back foot straightaway. Clyde forced Craig Coyle into several saves, making us work to stay level, but on 27 minutes, they went ahead, Gilhaney racing clear before deftly chipping the ball into the goal from 8 yards. A lot of shouting later, and just four minutes later, we were level, Iain Diack picking up the ball, shootinghard and low, and seeing hid shot deflect into the bottom corner. We picked up our game after half time, Alex Williams firing us in front in the opening minute of the half, before Paul Walker sealed the game eight minutes from the end, volleying home from Diack's cross. There was still time for the visitors to score another, Gilhaney grabbing a consolation, but we advanced further into the competition

"I honestly can't remember ever seeing a team start the way we did that season. It was unreal. The forwards were banging the goals in for fun, and the defence was as solid as it could be. A lot of it was to do with Michael though. His man management and his motivational skills were second to none. That team was good, but having Michael there was what made it even better"

Stewart Greacen

--

With the team still on a high following our good start to the season, we faced Brechin in our next game, and we had it won by half time. Weatherson started the rout, latching on to a brilliant Gavin Skelton ball and finishing nicely into the bottom corner. Peter provided the reversal of roles for the second goal, as he deftly flicked the ball down into the path of Skelton, who cut inside beautifully and slid the ball home with his left foot. Just three minutes later, we sealed the game, Paul Walker curling home from six yards out and beating the outstretched hand of the 'keeper. When Alex Williams scored a fourth in stoppage time, it mattered not, but I was more annoyed about the fact that we conceded two without reply in the second half. I gave the team a real bollocking about the fact that Waldie, in the 65th minute, and Little in the 79th minute, made the score 4-2. They were mistakes we couldn't afford.

Archived