Living The Dream: Neath and Llanelli

Tho

Season 2014/2015

After lifting three consecutive league titles, Neath started the new season red hot favourites. With Neath's squad improving, with the young players getting better and new signings being made, many were wondering how Llanelli could dethrone their rivals. Llanelli were also starting to suffer financially, knowing if they could not improve their squad, they would fall even further behind Neath. Therefore, it was imperative that they got off to a good start in the league.

Llanelli started the season with a trip to TNS, and for the third time in four years, suffered defeat on the opening day of the season, going down 3-1. Neath on the other hand, despite still in the midsts of trying to qualify for the Champions League, hammered Port Talbot 7-0 at The GenQuip Stadium, Abile scoring 4 goals to set them on their way. Neath continued to impress in the league, winning their first 9 games of the season, including a 3-0 victory away to Llanelli depsite playing over 70 minutes with 10 men. Abile started like a man on a mission, scoring 18 goals in the first 8 games of the season.

Llanelli followed up their disappointment against Neath with a trip to Bangor, knowing they could not afford any more slip ups in the league. However, a last minute goal for Bangor, gave them a 2-1 win, and handed Llanelli a huge task in winning the league. Bangor also ended Neath's winning start to the season, holding them to a 1-1 draw at Farrar Road in Bangor.

The first cup final would take place between Neath and Llanelli, after both progressed in the Loosermores League Cup. Neath would be looking to retain the cup, whilst AJW's men would hope to win it for the second time in recent seasons.

Llanelli went on to win 12 of their next 13 games in all competition, before travelling to Neath to face them for the second time this season. Neath had carrying on their excellent form, and were still undefeated this season, with only the dropped points against Bangor ruining a perfect season. In what was a fairly even contest, two second half goals settled it for Neath. Llanelli knew that the title race was over, and would have to start planning ahead for next season already.

Either side of the split, Neath carried on winning, and kept 9 clean sheets in a row in the league. This included yet another victory over Llanelli, a first half penalty ensuring the points. Neath and Llanelli would do battle 6 times this season, and the fourth match came in the semi finals of the Welsh Cup. Neath were looking for the treble this season, whilst Llanelli were hoping to restore some pride, and get some much needed silverware. Despite AJW's men taking the lead, three second half goals sent Neath through to the final.

The League Cup final was up next, with both managers hoping to win. Llanelli knew this was their last chance of silverware, with Neath wrapping up the league title weeks ago. If this match was tough enough for AJW's men, it got tougher after 9 minutes, when Drakos got sent off for the fourth time this season (and second time against Neath). Despite Llanelli grabbing a late equaliser, Vine grabbed a winner two minutes later to help Neath lift the trophy.

Neath and Llanelli had to do battle once more this season, in the final match of the league. After already beating AJW five times this season, Tom was pretty confident. Neath knew that if they avoided defeat, they will have gone the whole season undefeated (and an achievement too). From what happened, it seemed as if the Neath players were already on their holidays, as Llanelli pulled off what could only be called a shock 2-0 victory. Credit must really go to AJW here, as he outsmarted Tom, who thought this would have been another routine victory.

Neath put their disappointment of losing their final league game behind them, as they narrowly beat Airbus 3-2 to lift the trophy, and celebrate a famous treble.

Hi, I've been following your thread and I was wondering if you could just help me? I was wondering how you got your network game to work and if you have a link for the instructions you used? As I have been looking everywhere for something to help me play a network game with a mate who only lives a couple of miles away but it never worked, thanks. By the way keep up the good work at Neath.

I don't think that this Neath dominance will last. I can see Llanelli dethroning Neath at some point. Come on Llanelli!!!!

Never say never i guess. At the moment though, the gulf in class shows. I do hope that one day, AJW may finally prove to be a threat.

Hi, I've been following your thread and I was wondering if you could just help me? I was wondering how you got your network game to work and if you have a link for the instructions you used? As I have been looking everywhere for something to help me play a network game with a mate who only lives a couple of miles away but it never worked, thanks. By the way keep up the good work at Neath.

We use a small program called LogMeIn Hamachi. It's perfectly safe, and we have had no real issues with it during the time we have been playing. You both need it installed, have the host "create" a server, the other person joins that, then on Football Manager, just type in the IP that Hamachi gives you. It's all very simple, but if you need anymore advice, feel free to give me a shout.

Season 2014/2015

Neath Key Players

Pacome Abile - Abile looked like he was going to break records after his blistering start to the season. It was not to be though, as he missed 3 months of the season due to injuries, including the final 5 weeks. He did manage to score 38 goals in 33 games, with an average rating of 7.97. It has not all been happy days at Neath for him though, as Abile has started to attract interest from top clubs around Europe. With his contract expiring in 2 years, and his current desire to move to a bigger club, Neath's boss will have a decision to make next summer.

Diego Pons - In his first season for his new club, Pons played 35 games, scoring 26 goals. He has impressed in his first season, and will look to carry on next season.

Sascha Hubner - The young german midfielder has gone from strength to strength this season, scoring 7 goals in 44 games, mainly from the penalty spot. Even though he has been attracting interest from his homeland, Germany, he has recently commited his long term future to the welsh club.

Arco Peters was an ever present this season between the sticks, keeping an impressive 24 clean sheets in 49 games. Most like of Neath's top performers, clubs have been alerted by his impressive form. Joao has impressed the fans with some decent performances on the left wing. However, his contract runs out next summer, and i think he has already made up his mind that Neath is not for him.

Llanelli Key Players

Dafydd Rees - Again, Rees led the line well for Llanelli, scoring a respectable 20 goals in 39 games. He has also impressed for the Wales under 21 squad, scoring 11 goals in 19 games thus far. There are now calls for him to be called up to the senior squad, and surely it is now only a matter of time.

Patrik Twardzik - The summer signing from Celtic has done well in his first season, scoring 22 goals in 37 appearances. After a slow start to the season, he impressed in the second half of the season, to form a decent partnership wtih Rees upfront.

Danny Ward - The former Wrexham shot stopper has been on the books at Llanelli for a few seasons now, and has struggled to dislodge Gilpin. However, after Gilpin struggled at the start of the season, Ward came in, and took his chance. He went on to play 40 games this season, keeping 17 clean sheets.

Other players to do well this season, include Tom King (done well at left back for a few years now), Guirado (who has been Llanelli's most impressive performer for a number of years now) and Alex Evans (who has continued to chip in with vital goals each season).

Season 2015/2016

So after Neath romped to the league title last season, dropping only 5 points along the way, they knew that not much really needed to change on the domestic front. However, in July, NAC Breda made an offer of £600k for goalkeeper Arco Peters. Tom decided to stick the asking price sky high, not expecting them to return with another bid. However, NAC Breda did return with a huge offer of £3million. The board intervened, and accepted (i would have accepted anyways) and that was the end of Peters career at Neath. He played 86 games for Neath, keeping 45 clean sheets (here he is now, after a further 2 seasons to develop at NAC Breda). This would give a chance to Cyprus international Mytides and former Roma keeper, Cirillo, who have both been at the club for a number of years, but never given the chance.

Ibrahima Diallo signed a 5 year deal after Neath and Stade de Mbour accepted a deal for the player. The young player could play up front or on the wing, and the speedy player comes highly recommended from the scouts at Neath. Motta was signed for the rather large amount of money at £475k. A former teammate of Pons, can play anywhere on the right side of defence, and would add some competition to the already established pairing of Sciannamea and Salazar. Alexandre is a left back, who just loves to get forward, and would be replacing Crossan, who departed on a free. Jack Stephens also signed on loan for the next 2 seasons, and the youngest from Southampton can play in either midfield, or defence.

Other players were signed, but most of them were just squad players, who Neath would placed in the reserves, and were there just incase they were needed. Some loan signings were also made, but they were not expecting to break into the first team.

Llanelli, yet again, had another very quiet summer. One of the very few signings, was Thomas Carroll, who they signed at the end of the previous season from rivals Neath. The former Spurs midfielder never made the grade at Neath, making just 28 starts over 3 years. Therefore, he was offered to AJW on a free, and the Llanelli boss accepted, and is hoping he can make more of an impact than he did at his time at Neath.

Richie Stephens signed on a free transfer after being released from Swansea. The 18 year old is a defender, who has a very bright future ahead of him. Neath were also interested, but decided to pursue other options after Llanelli entered the race for his signature.

Season 2015/2016

Llanelli vs Tre Fiori (A)(EURO CUP Qual. 2) - Very easy victory to all but send Llanelli through.

Llanelli vs Tre Fiori (H) (EURO CUP Qual. 2) - Another easy win, 5-1 to go through 8-1 on aggregate.

Llanelli vs Genk (H) (EURO CUP Qual. 3) - AJW was expecting a tough game from Genk, but that was not the case. A brace from Rees set up a 4-0 win.

Llanelli vs Genk (A) (EURO CUP Qual. 3) - Another great result, this time in Belgium, sent Llanelli through. 6-1 over both legs.

Llanelli vs Trabzonspor (A)(EURO CUP Qual. 4) - The Turkish side were clear favourites, and AJW knew his men would have to put in a performance over the two legs to progress to the group stages. If it looked hard before, to get 2 red cards either side of half time, looked to have ended any hope Llanelli had. Despite going behind, Stephens scored a header from a set piece. It took a goal in the 89th minute to give Trabzonspor the victory, but for Llanelli, that away goal, and the performance of the players, they had hope going into the second leg.

Llanelli vs Trabzonspor (H) (EURO CUP Qual. 4) - Having two key players suspended for this game did not help, but Rees scored a goal after 24 minutes. As it stood, the welsh side were going through on away goals. However, yet another red card, this time after 31 minutes, for playmaker Bardelloni made the rest of the match very tense. Another red card late on for Rees looked to give the Turkish club some hope, but AJW's men held on for a historical victory. Llanelli went through to the group stages on away goals after a 2-2 draw.

So there we have it. Llanelli finally qualify for European football. Whilst the money is not quite as good as you get for the Champions League, it should still help AJW in the near future. Llanelli were drawn in Group K, and would face Malaga, Ajax and Zeljeznicar.

(Congratulations AJW)

Season 2015/2016

Neath vs Shkendija (H) (Champions League Qual. 2) - Pons was on the scoresheet in a 3-1 in a game that we dominated.

Neath vs Sjkendija (A) (Champions League Qual. 2) - Another game that we dominated, winning 4-0. We went through 7-1 on aggregate.

Neath vs Linfield (A) (Champions League Qual. 3) - It was not long ago that we were playing these in the playoffs. In what was an action packed first leg, that included a red card, a missed penalty, and numerous yellow cards, Neath won 3-2 in what was a very even contest.

Neath vs Linfield (H) (Champions League Qual. 3) - In what was a much more one sided affair, Neath won 2-0 thanks to two early goals from Abile and Sciannamea. Neath progressed to the playoffs to make sure that it was 3 years on the bounce that they had been involved in European football.

Neath vs Zestaponi (A) (Champions League Playoff) - Abile was on the scoresheet in an even goal, with Neath just edging it 2-1 on the night.

Neath vs Zestaponi (H) (Champions League Playoff) - In a topsy turvy game, Neath won 5-3 to go through. That does not tell the whole tale, as at one point, they were hanging on after Zestaponi scored 2 goals in a minute to give themselves hope. Neath held on though, and were through to the Champions League yet again.

For the third year in a row, Neath were into the group stages of the Champions League. After some decent draws last year, they were hoping to build on and get their first win of the group stages. However, to do that this year, they would have to beat Bayern Munich, Inter Milan or Celtic. Tom was left wondering how those three sides could be in the same group as each other. Celtic were the current EURO Cup Champions whilst Neath had met Bayern Munich two years ago at the same stage.

I think that this is the start of something special for Llanelli!! That Rees appears to be a great player. Am I right in believing that he came through the Llanelli youth ranks?

He either came through the Llanelli youth setup, or he was created in a lab. The Welsh FA are currently checking this rumour out.

On the 16th October 2015, Wales sacked their current manager. This alerted both myself and AJW, and we both applied for the post. Current under-21 manager Brian Flynn was the most likely candidate for the post, but Tom was hoping to get the nod.

Maybe not then. They could have just said that we have decided to go for another option, instead of just laughing at us both.

The England manager job came up a few months later, and it was the same story. Sam Allardyce got the nod. Sure the fans love that.

Season 2015/2016

Llanelli vs Malaga (H) - A very harsh welcome to the group stages of the EURO Cup, as Malaga dominated Llanelli right from the first whistle. Llanelli missed their talisman, Rees but surely he could not have helped. Had it not been for a man of the match performance from goalkeeper Danny Ward, the scoreline could have been even worse. 4-1 the final scoreline.

Llanelli vs Ajax (A) - Another top display from Ward helped keep the scoreline respectable, but Llanelli can take heart in a decent outing in Holland. A 1-0 defeat in a game where they did have chances.

Llanelli vs Zeljeznicar (A) - AJW's men put in a torrid performance in the first half, going in at half time 3-0 down. A much better performance in the second half saw them score 3 goals themselves, with Rees getting a brace. A decent draw considering the postion they were in at one point, but a match Llanelli maybe thought they could have won. 3-3 the final result.

Season 2015/2016

Llanelli vs Zeljeznicar (H) - A poor performance at home resulted in a 1-0 to their Bosnian opponents.

Llanelli vs Malaga (A) - A spirited performance in Spain. Llanelli took the lead, and looked to be heading for a point until Malaga scored a penalty in the 93rd minute. 2-1 the final score.

Llanelli vs Ajax (H) - Llanelli ended their European campaign in disappointing fashion, losing 3-1 to Ajax, Rees with the only goal for the Welsh side.

Despite the opening display against Malaga, Llanelli put in some decent performances in Europe. Fans will be hoping they can qualify again in seasons to come, and carry on trying to topple the bigger clubs in Europe.

Season 2015/2016

I must have really annoyed someone to be drawn into the group of certain painful death. I wanted a win this season in the Champions League, but that may have to wait another year. Instead, getting just one point would be a great result considering who we would have to face.

Neath vs Bayern Munich (H) - In what was actually an even match apart from the scoreline, Neath somehow lost 5-1. Tom was left wondering what quite happened to his defence, as they all decided to have an offday against their german opponents.

Neath vs Celtic (A) - Celtic were far too strong for Neath, cruising to a 3-1 victory.

Neath vs Inter Milan (H)- A much improved defensive display, as well as a man of the match display from goalkeeper Cirillo, helped Neath hold on for a 0-0 draw. Neath were much better defensively, but did not offer much going forward.

Season 2015/2016

Neath vs Inter Milan (A) - Neath's chances of getting a result in Italy were hampered when they were reduced to 10 men after just 26 minutes. Thiago scored straight after, giving Inter a 1-0 victory.

Neath vs Bayern Munich (A) - Another match against Bayern where Neath did not turn up. A very easy 4-0 win for the Germans.

Neath vs Celtic (H) - Yet another early red card ruined any chance Neath had against Celtic. Another 4-0 defeat, and a very disappointing end to their Champions League campaign.

Despite the group being tough, I was hoping to at least put up more of a fight in some of the matches. I may have to rethink my tactics against the top clubs when playing away from home. (Barcelona beat Valencia in the final. Celtic progressed the furthest from my group, getting knocked out in the QF by AC Milan. Inter got smashed by Liverpool 7-2 over the two legs in the second round. As for Bayern, they dropped into the EURO Cup first knockout round, where they suffered a shock defeat to Lokomotiv Moscow.)

Season 2015/2016

Neath were looking to win the league for the 5th season in a row, and to carry on last season's success of winning the treble. Llanelli on the other hand were hoping to close the gap at the top, and put up more of a fight. Also winning a trophy would please AJW, after going without silverware last season. No other side in the league really stood much of a chance of winning the league, even though a number of sides had made a number of signings over the last few months. TNS were hoping that former Neath players, Wabara and N'Diaye would help them as the season progressed.

Neath were known to start the season with a bang, and this season was no exception, scoring an incredible 24 goals in their first 4 league games. The 6-1 thrashing away to Aberystwyth was quickly followed by a master class by Abile in the 7-0 hammering of Bangor.

Llanelli on the other hand, generally start the season slowly. A 3-0 win over Bala on the opening day looked promising, before a disappointing 1-0 defeat to Carmarthen followed. They looked to have found their form, winning their next 4 league games, until a horror show away at Aberystwyth, losing 4-1. A few weeks later, AJW's men crashed out of the Loosemores League Cup, losing to TNS on penalties in their quarter final encounter.

Neath's winning run was ended by TNS after a poor showing infront of their home fans. Neath were made to work hard for a 2-2 draw in a game where not much seemed to go their way. Despite this slight hiccup, Tom continued this charge to another league title with some great attacking football. Goals were flowing very easily for Abile and Pons, with both looking to break the league record. Neath booked their place in the final of the Loosemores League Cup with a 7-1 aggregate win over Airbus, Pons doing the damage in the first leg with 3 goals.

Llanelli dropped more points away to Haverfordwest at the start of December, before the first meeting of the season with Neath. AJW already knew that the league title was looking unlikely, with Neath looking far too strong. Neath proved their strength at The Gnoll, winning 1-0, despite playing the entire second half with 10 men. AJW knew he had to improve his squad, and soon, or his side was going to continue to struggle against Tom's Neath.

Llanelli got back to winning ways straight after the Neath match, beating this season's whipping boys, Bridgend 6-0. However, just 10 days later, they somehow lost 2-1 to Bangor, despite dominating for most of the match.

Neath had no such troubles, winning all their games, until they faced Llanelli again in the final game before the split. An early goal from Llanelli's Dafydd Rees handed Neath their first defeat of the season, and yet again, left AJW wondering why his players could not perform like that against the other sides in the league.

Neath put that disappointment behind them, and in their next league game scored 10 goals for the first time. Abile also became the second player to score 6 goals in a game, following in the footsteps of Lee Trundle. Neath carried on their form, easily progressing to the final of the Welsh Cup, where they would face TNS. Llanelli lost in the quarter finals to Division 1 side, Afan Lido, to leave AJW without a trophy for the second season running.

Neath and Llanelli did battle twice more this season, with Neath scoring 5 goals in each game. At the Gnoll, it finished 5-2, whilst at Stebonheath Park, Abile scored 4 more goals in a 5-3 thriller.

Neath, for the second year running, won the treble. TNS awaited in the final of both cups, but Tom's players were far too strong, winning 5-1 in the League Cup, then 3-0 in the Welsh Cup.

Pacome Abile during the 2015/2016 season has been nothing but superb. Here are some of his stats for the season:

50 games - 80 goals

31 league games - 63 goals

28 man of the matches

26 assists

average rating in the league: 8.76

Abile's overview

Europe's top marksman

Abile's contract was due to expire at the end of next season, and with his performances over the past 3 years, he had attracted interest from all across Europe. He had begun to angle for a move to a big club, and was not interesting in discussing a new contract. Therefore, he was offered out at the end of the season, as Neath had reluctantly agreed to let him leave this summer, instead of next summer on a free transfer. 23 offers came in for the front man. Tom was expecting the chairman to intervene, but oddly, he did not. Therefore, he decided that the offer of £6 million up front would be the best offer for the club. He soon agreed terms, and left Wales for Italy.

In the end, he played 127 games for Neath, scoing 163 goals. He was clearly too good for this league, and it will take some doing to beat his 63 goals in one season. A true great.

(Here he is now, and he did a decent goal for Udinese, scoring 12 goals in 24 games. You never know, he may return one day!)

Archived