Training Regens

I've found that with many regens, the attribute distribution can be slightly weird sometimes. For example, sometimes I see strikers who have attributes ranging from 17-20 in corners, headers, penalties, and teamwork, but have woeful attributes for finishing. Or sometimes a player has amazing finishing but woeful long shots, etc.

What I'm wondering is: is it better, in general, to train a young regen in areas where he's already strong, in order to max out those attributes? Or is it worth training up a player who has a passing attribute of 4 in that category, in the hope that while his already-good attributes see a gradual increase, you can get his passing up to an at-least decent number?

Sorry if this question is too general -- but it's a dilemma I often have in training. Maybe a lot of it depends on what your needs are.

Another example, though not a regen, is a player like Mateo Kovacic. As a youngster, he's got the potential to become one of the great passers in the game -- so should I set his focus to 'passing'? At the same time, his finishing isn't good -- so maybe it's better to work hard on that attribute, and hope his passing increases as a result of general training.

Depends of the position and what the specific weakness is. I have a young winger who is destined to be a star player, but his finishing was 4, I need him to be much better as he does get in the box a lot (19 for both pace and acceleration) so I focused on improving that attribute. Hus bar graph is a health slope upwards, still a long way to go but getting there.

I tend to look at weaknesses around a players main duty first but address any real glaring poor attributes that would fall into his sub duty.

Well, this is how I do it: I look up the attributes where he's strongest, his position, his potential, and what I want to do with him, here is an example of a player I have completely developed:

maurobovagliooverview27kgd.png

When I bought him he was 18 years old, and his technical attributes were quite strong already, since then he only improved by 1-2 points in each one, exception being set pieces and defensive attributes. His mental stats and his speed/agility were very poor.

What I wanted to do with him was to try and make a player like Cristiano Ronaldo, who could play on the wings as an Inside Forward and who could play as a striker as well.

With some intense aerobic and tactical training and some tutoring from Messi I managed to get a considerable boost in his weaker stats.

maurobovagliotraining5mk7z.png

maurobovagliotrainingonkwx.png

Thankfully he had a lot of potential to spare, he's about fully developed at the moment. Point is, with enough potential and a good training schedule you can "fix" the problems of some regens. I only wish his decisions and anticipation were better, unfortunately I couldn't develop those attributes as well as I wanted.

For me it's about how they fit into a team.

You have a low level team (low league too) or you have a large and well rounded team then there is nothing wrong with, and you can even benefit from, a min/max (to coin a phrase from other games) player. If he excels in his relevant attributes then teh rest of the team can take advantage of that.

However if you are a higher league team, you will find that your play breaks down a lot of, given your example, all your forwards only have 4 for passing.

Just really analyse where and how you want this player to play. I say this as most people (myself included) will jump at an opportunity to purchase a young 4star potential player. Sadly if he can't fit into your team then whats the point?

Equally so, and this is something you did not mentionm, don't forget the ability to train a player into another position.

If my memory serves me well, this will also allow more 'gain' and attributes that are related to that position. ie, training a DC to and MC will result in higher gains to passing from the same level of attacking training.

I hope this is still the case, as this is often, how I 'round' my players out. A typical one for me is to train a WBR to a MR or AMR position. This way he trains pace, passing and crossing more (amongst other things).

Regards

LAM

sakrai - thats some pretty impressive development there ... i see you are using Furious' training ... has that guy made those developments just from training or are you playing him in the 1st team as well?

He played one year for the under 19's, after that I started rotating him into the first team. But when he was younger (18 - 21), the more intensive schedules he was on were super important as well.

Archived