'Le Jeu Avant Tout' - Yesterday's Heroes, Today.

Gino

(Author's Notes: Thanks for taking the time to have a look at this, it's my first attempt at a CM4 story. I'm not sure how it'll go but we'll see. It's about a club I've been following for some years now, dating back to the time Burnley signed the mercurial winger Glen Little from the club. Little did I know that Burnley and Glentoran have a connection dating back well over a century. More on this can be read here. Again, thanks for reading, hope you enjoy!)

The Glens fans partied long and hard after last season’s historic season came to a close. Having won the Premier Division for the first time in four seasons, it was time again to turn their thoughts to the Champions’ League.

The club were already three goals down in their first round qualification game with Estonian side FC Flora Tallinn when I took over the reigns from departing manager Roy Coyle. Coyle had been at the helm at ‘The Oval’ for nearly ten seasons, and was arguably the club’s greatest ever manager.

Regardless, I gathered the troops together on my first day and told them just what I wanted from them, commitment, passion and goals. I knew there was little hope of splashing out huge transfer fees, even with European football. For starters, the real money didn’t arrive until you made the Group Stages, and secondly, the club was already losing money hand over fist, and was well in the red.

Northern Irish international striker Andy Smith, a player with four caps to his name, was attracting the attentions of several teams, in particularly League of Ireland side Derry City who made an offer of £55,000 and seventeen-year-old goalkeeper Marty Walker. Keen to keep hold of our talents, I reject the offer immediately; though its made clear by Chairman Stafford Reynolds that in light of the financial problems at the club, a more sizable offer may receive a different answer.

Wed 23.07.03

Glentoran Vs FC Flora Tallinn – The Oval.

Champions’ Cup Qual. 1 Leg 2

Glentoran 4-4-2: Elliot Morris: Colin Nixon, Mark Glendinning ©, Gary Long, Gary Smyth: Gavin Melaugh, Darren Lockhart, Scott Young, Sean Ward: Andy Smith, Tommy McCallion.

Weather: Dry, 16°C

I knew little of my new team, but I knew even less of our opponents, with FC Flora Tallinn making their arrival at The Oval just three days after my own. One thing I did know was that we had a huge uphill battle, but backed by 8,000 locals, I knew that if someone was smiling down upon us we had a chance.

The opening exchanges were tense and nervy, with Flora happy to soak up possession and our boys not wanting to throw too much forward in case of conceding a tie deciding fourth. Much of the early pressure, did thankfully come our way, with Smith testing goalkeeper Karlsoon early and Tommy McCallion’s header grazing the bar on it’s way over.

The took the lead in the 23rd minute when McCallion’s flick on was gathered by Smith, and after forcing a save from the Estonian ‘keeper, the hotly-rated striker followed up to put us one up. It was a start.

It’s safe to say we laid siege on the Flora goal throughout the second period, but after Karlson saved point-blank from substitute Darren Armour and Stepanov cleared off the line when McCallion’s header looked to creeping in, we stood little chance of clawing the game back. Goalkeeper Elliott Morris even contested for a flurry of late corners but it was all in vain as Flora held on and claim a 3-1 aggregate victory. Oh well, maybe next year.

Glentoran 1 - FC Flora Tallinn 0

Goals: Smith 1-0.

Attendance: 7,994

MoM: Aleksandr Karlson (FC Flora) – Fine goalkeeping in keeping his side ahead.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Author's Notes: Thanks for taking the time to have a look at this, it's my first attempt at a CM4 story. I'm not sure how it'll go but we'll see. It's about a club I've been following for some years now, dating back to the time Burnley signed the mercurial winger Glen Little from the club. Little did I know that Burnley and Glentoran have a connection dating back well over a century. More on this can be read here. Again, thanks for reading, hope you enjoy!)

The Glens fans partied long and hard after last season’s historic season came to a close. Having won the Premier Division for the first time in four seasons, it was time again to turn their thoughts to the Champions’ League.

The club were already three goals down in their first round qualification game with Estonian side FC Flora Tallinn when I took over the reigns from departing manager Roy Coyle. Coyle had been at the helm at ‘The Oval’ for nearly ten seasons, and was arguably the club’s greatest ever manager.

Regardless, I gathered the troops together on my first day and told them just what I wanted from them, commitment, passion and goals. I knew there was little hope of splashing out huge transfer fees, even with European football. For starters, the real money didn’t arrive until you made the Group Stages, and secondly, the club was already losing money hand over fist, and was well in the red.

Northern Irish international striker Andy Smith, a player with four caps to his name, was attracting the attentions of several teams, in particularly League of Ireland side Derry City who made an offer of £55,000 and seventeen-year-old goalkeeper Marty Walker. Keen to keep hold of our talents, I reject the offer immediately; though its made clear by Chairman Stafford Reynolds that in light of the financial problems at the club, a more sizable offer may receive a different answer.

Wed 23.07.03

Glentoran Vs FC Flora Tallinn – The Oval.

Champions’ Cup Qual. 1 Leg 2

Glentoran 4-4-2: Elliot Morris: Colin Nixon, Mark Glendinning ©, Gary Long, Gary Smyth: Gavin Melaugh, Darren Lockhart, Scott Young, Sean Ward: Andy Smith, Tommy McCallion.

Weather: Dry, 16°C

I knew little of my new team, but I knew even less of our opponents, with FC Flora Tallinn making their arrival at The Oval just three days after my own. One thing I did know was that we had a huge uphill battle, but backed by 8,000 locals, I knew that if someone was smiling down upon us we had a chance.

The opening exchanges were tense and nervy, with Flora happy to soak up possession and our boys not wanting to throw too much forward in case of conceding a tie deciding fourth. Much of the early pressure, did thankfully come our way, with Smith testing goalkeeper Karlsoon early and Tommy McCallion’s header grazing the bar on it’s way over.

The took the lead in the 23rd minute when McCallion’s flick on was gathered by Smith, and after forcing a save from the Estonian ‘keeper, the hotly-rated striker followed up to put us one up. It was a start.

It’s safe to say we laid siege on the Flora goal throughout the second period, but after Karlson saved point-blank from substitute Darren Armour and Stepanov cleared off the line when McCallion’s header looked to creeping in, we stood little chance of clawing the game back. Goalkeeper Elliott Morris even contested for a flurry of late corners but it was all in vain as Flora held on and claim a 3-1 aggregate victory. Oh well, maybe next year.

Glentoran 1 - FC Flora Tallinn 0

Goals: Smith 1-0.

Attendance: 7,994

MoM: Aleksandr Karlson (FC Flora) – Fine goalkeeping in keeping his side ahead.

UTV – Sports View

JF: “Hello, I’m John Ford and you’re watching Sports View on UTV, home of the ‘Daily Mirror’ Northern Irish Football League. Today we’re delighted to be joined by the new Glentoran manager Stan Ginozola, fresh from his first game in charge. Stan, unfortunately yesterday’s 1-0 home win was not quite enough, was it?â€

SG: “Unfortunately not, no. It was always going to be tough to overturn a three-goal deficit, especially when you’ve had to endure a change in management. I was proud of the boys, they put up a really brave fight and it’s something I hope we can build on when the season begins.â€

JF: “You’re back to ‘domestic’ action on Saturday. Away at Ballymena United in the League Cup Group Three?â€

SG: “That’s right, John. It’ll be my first taste of Irish Football, management wise anyhow. I’m looking forward to it, I’ve inherited a fine squad and I’m confident we can put up a good performance for our supporters.â€

JF: “As I’m sure you’re award Stan, the club enjoyed its most successful season throughout its 121 year history last season. How do you go about topping it?â€

SG: “What happened at The Oval last season is a tribute to Roy Coyle and his side. It was a truly remarkable achievement, being one game away from a clean sweep. Roy decided to go out on top and after a career like his, who can blame him? It’s the least he deserves. My aim is to create the same legacy at the club, my own legacy.â€

JF: “And I’m sure you’ve been filled in about certain clashes in the Irish League fixture list!â€

SG: “Of course, I’m aware of the rivalries. I think most people inside the game are. It’ll be an honour to experience, as long as we get the right results!

JF: “Stan, thanks for going us. Good luck with the rest of the season.â€

LOL! Thanks Mao! icon14.gif

I’d managed to arrange two friendly fixtures between now and the opener with Ballymena United. With the players training hard, I had my hands full with various administrative issues, though I did have time to allow young striker Jason Hill to go and spend some time on loan with Premier Division rivals Cliftonville, though not of course against us. Sixteen-year-old Gary Spence was also allowed to link up with Carrick Rangers, of the Northern Irish League First Division.

Arguably the most exciting moment of the summer was convincing Portsmouth youngster Marc Wilson that his future lay not at Fratton Park, but at The Oval, with the fifteen-year-old signing a one-year youth contract. Wilson is a strong, defensive-minded midfielder who could even make his first-team debut this season, despite his years.

Sat 16.08.03

Ballymena United Vs Glentoran – Ballymena Showgrounds.

League Cup Group 3 #1

Glentoran 4-4-2: Elliott Morris: Colin Nixon, Mark Glendinning ©, Sean Ward (s/o 15), Gary Smyth: Darren Armour, Darren Lockhart, Richard Stansfield, Scott Young: Tommy McCallion, Damien McLaughlin.

Weather: Dry, 21°C

With Andy Smith set to miss three weeks football with a strained wrist, Damien McLaughlin is called from the reserves to line-up alongside Tommy McCallion in the opening game of our League Cup campaign. There are also changes both at the back and in midfield with Sean Ward coming in at the back and new signing Richard Stansfield partnering Scott Young in midfield.

We start well, making in roads behind the Ballymena defence as early as the fourth minute when Robinson saved from McCallion. Things become a little bit more difficult when Sean Ward is red-carded for a second bookable offence after just fifteen but keeping to our game we take the lead through McCallion before McLaughlin grabs a second.

The game comes alive the second period. Eric Faulkner misses a penalty for the home side before McLaughlin scores to halve the deficit at 2-1. Our McLaughlin, Damien, is left unmarked at the far post to make finish off a fine move involving four players before Shea Campbell scores to make the final few minutes a little too edgy. Thankfully, we hold on.

Ballymena United 2 - Glentoran 3

Goals: McCallion 1-0, Damien McLaughlin 2-0, Gareth McLaughlin 2-1, Damien McLaughlin 3-1, Campbell 3-2.

Attendance: 1,548

MoM: Damien McLaughlin (Glentoran) – Two goals and an assist gives McLaughlan the award.

Hello, Hello, it's good to be back, it's good to be back! icon14.gif

The pleasing thing that came form Saturday’s game was that fact that we scored goals for fun. We appeared dangerous whenever we crossed the halfway into the Ballymena half and the strike force of McCallion and stand-in McLaughlin performed admirably. Good form in the League Cup will hopefully carry into the league once the season gets underway and it can only be positive to see your strikers sharing three goals.

Sat 23.08.03

Glentoran Vs Newry Town – The Oval.

League Cup Group 3 #2

Glentoran 4-4-2: Elliott Morris - Colin Nixon, Mark Glendinning ©, Stuart Long, Gary Smyth - Darren Armour, Darren Lockhart, Richard Stansfield, Scott Young - Tommy McCallion, Damien McLaughlin.

Weather: Wet, 9°C

The League Cup continued with a visit from Newry Town. With Sean Ward suspended, Stuart Long comes back into the side alongside Gary Smyth at centre-half. After impressing on his debut at Ballymena, Richard Stansfield continues in midfield with Scott Young.

The first-half is something of a battle with Newry looking for nothing but a clean sheet. Darren Armour had the half’s best chance, blazing wide when released by Stansfield. Going in at the break at 0-0, we emerge in a more attacking state of mind and take just two minutes to break the dead lock. Glendinning and Lockhart exchanged passes on the halfway line before Lockhart sent McLaughlin clear down the left. Cutting inside, he beat his marker before crossing for McCallion who was in acres of space to roll the ball home.

The goal seemed to open the floodgates as Newry suddenly had to attack to get anything out of the game. McCallion continued his run of form with his second on seventy-two, and as the game drew to a close, Damien McLaughlin added a third to complete a comfortable victory.

Glentoran 3 – Newry Town 0

Goals: McCallion 1-0, McCallion 2-0, McLaughlin 3-0.

Attendance: 1,532

MoM: Tommy McCallion (Glentoran) – Like McLaughlin was weekend, two goals and an assist gives the award to McCallion.

Thanks very much, bjorn! icon_smile.gif

Victory made sure we kept pace with Dungannon Swifts at the top og League Cup Group 3. Newry Town and Ballymena United made up the rest of the group in third and fourth places respectively.

Before the top of the table clash with Dungannon, we completed the signing of non-league Warren YM’s Willie Hull. With no fee being paid due to the fact Willie had no contract with Warren, we had the chance to bring him to the club and have a look at him, without making too big a commitment.

Transfer In:

Willie Hull (S C, 21) – Free transfer from Warren YM.

However, the big move in Irish football this week was a one that saw Coleraine’s experienced midfielder Tony Gorman finally get his chance to move across to the mainland with a £120,000 to Premiership new boys Wolverhampton Wanderers.

There was good news at the club on Friday morning with Gavin Melaugh’s and Andrew Kilmartin’s good form earning the pair places in Colin Quinn’s Northern Ireland Under 21 squad for games against the Ukraine and Armenia.

Sat 30.08.03

Glentoran Vs Dungannon Swifts – The Oval.

League Cup Group 3 #3

Glentoran 4-4-2: Elliott Morris - Colin Nixon, Mark Glendinning ©, Sean Ward, Gary Smyth - Darren Armour, Darren Lockhart, Richard Stansfield, Scott Young - Tommy McCallion, Damien McLaughlin.

Weather: Wet, 11°C

We looked to make it three wins out of three in the league cup group stages when fellow leaders Dungannon Swifts came to The Oval on the final match-day in August. Dungannon are certainly the side we need to keep an eye out for, and we’ve spent the week analysing their play by watching a series of videos documenting previous performances.

We also name the same side that had beaten Newry last weekend. Andy Smith had recovered from his injury, but shockingly short of match fitness, I tell him to stay with the reserves until he gets himself sorted out. Regardless, it’d doubtful he’d have shifted the pairing of McCallion and McLaughlin that has hit six goals in the last two games.

It would be the same story today, with Damien McLaughlin’s 59th minute header the game’s only goal.

Glentoran 1 – Dungannon Swifts 0

Goals: McLaughlin 1-0.

Attendance: 1,527

MoM: Mark Glendinning (Glentoran) – Strong performance from our inspirational left-back.

With the end of August bringing the close of the transfer window until the Christmas period, we complete a deal that sees schoolboy striker John McAuley sign a three-year professional deal. Though not thought to be involved with the first-team this year, McAuley certainly falls into the ‘one for the future’ category and will hopefully develop under reserve-team boss Jimmy Brown.

Transfer In:

John McAuley (S C, 17) – Signs from local football.

The reserves are in devastating form as they take on Omagh Town at The Oval. New signing McAuley bags a brace and Andy Smith returns to the fray with a goal as Jimmy Brown’s men gallop to a 7-2 victory.

Sat 06.09.03

Glentoran Vs Ballymena United – The Oval.

League Cup Group 3 #4

Glentoran 4-4-2: Elliott Morris - Colin Nixon, Mark Glendinning ©, Sean Ward (sub Jodie Hill 50), Gary Smyth - Darren Armour, Darren Lockhart, Richard Stansfield, Scott Young - Tommy McCallion (sub Andy Smith 50), Damien McLaughlin.

Weather: Wet, 12°C

Confidence is high going into the return clash with Ballymena, and rightly so, with us topping the round-robin group with three wins from three and Ballymena struggling with just a victory over the woeful Newry Town to show for their troubles. With Damien McLaughlin and Tommy McCallion in explosive form, we’re playing as though we could take on anybody, and the partnership works its magic again with McLaughlin crossing for McCallion to head home with twenty-eight minutes on the clock.

Andy Smith gets his chance after the interval, replacing Tommy McCallion who is in need of a deserved rest. Within minutes, Smith is running away in celebration having linked well with McLaughlin to shoot past Ballymena goalkeeper John Connelly. We’re much too strong for the visitors and Smith grabs his second eighteen minutes from time. It’s a tribute to Smith’s performance that he is awarded the sponsors ‘Man of the Match’ award as full-time approaches.

Glentoran 3 – Ballymena United 0

Goals: McCallion 1-0, Andy Smith 2-0, Andy Smith 3-0.

Attendance: 1,521

MoM: Andy Smith (Glentoran) – A two-goal haul after coming off the bench for the returning striker.

Having sealed our qualification to the semi-finals of the League Cup, it’s back inside the clubhouse to watch the Northern Ireland national side take on the Ukraine in Kiev. It’s a now a case of pride for Colin Quinn’s men as they sit bottom of European Champions Qualification Group Six with just two points to their name. Again the day will end in disappointment as, after taking the lead through Hearts’ Andy Kirk, they fall apart and are eventually well-beaten 4-1.

Things are a little better results wise back in Belfast, where a late strike from Crystal Palace’s Michael Hughes salvages a 2-2 draw with Armenia. Paul McVeigh had given Northern Ireland the lead after just seventeen minutes before sloppy Irish defending allowed Armenia back into the game.

Sat 13.09.03

Newry Town Vs Glentoran – Newry Showgrounds.

League Cup Group 3 #5

Glentoran 4-4-2: Elliott Morris - Colin Nixon, Mark Glendinning ©, Sean Ward, Gary Smyth - Darren Armour, Darren Lockhart, Richard Stansfield, Scott Young - Tommy McCallion, Damien McLaughlin (Andy Smith 50).

Weather: Dry, 20°C

Having sealed qualification to the League Cup Semi-Finals we take it somewhat easy away at Newry and come away with a well-earned 0-0 draw. Andy Smith is again used as a second-half and whilst not as effective as a week earlier at The Oval, still shows some impressive touches when replacing the injured Damien McLoughlin.

McLoughlin had to leave the field in the 70th minute, though the clash that brought the injury took place in the 32nd minute when he was hit hard in a tackle with Conor Larkin. Surprisingly, back in the changing room, it’s McLaughlin’s strike partner McCallion who is in most pain. With McLoughlin able to run off his injury in the warm-down, McCallion appears to have damaged his right shoulder and will require at least two weeks rest.

Newry Town 0 – Glentoran 0

Goals: None

Attendance: 1,529

MoM: Stuart Addis (Newry Town) – Several fine saves earn his side a point.

Wed 17.09.03

Dungannon Swifts Vs Glentoran – Newry Showgrounds.

League Cup Group 3 #6

Glentoran 4-4-2: Elliott Morris - Colin Nixon, Mark Glendinning ©, Sean Ward, Chris Walker - Darren Armour, Darren Lockhart, Richard Stansfield, Scott Young – Andy Smith, Damien McLaughlin.

Weather: Dry, 10°C

Last season’s inspirational captain, centre-half Chris Walker returns after spending the early part of the season out with a facial injury. The game with Dungannon Swifts brings the League Cup group campaign to a close and we are looking to go out on a high note, with the league season starting on Saturday with a trip to Ballymena.

With Tommy McCallion missing, Andy Smith makes his first start since scoring against FC Flora Tallinn in July. Victory is still important for Dungannon, still in need of three points to make sure of their place in the Quarter-Finals. Thankfully, we come out on top with Smith’s flick-on finding Damien McLaughlin who fired the game’s only goal three minutes into the second period.

Chris Walker is particularly impressive alongside Sean Ward and gives me a big selection headache with regards to who starts on Saturday. Walker’s performance has almost guaranteed his place whilst both Sean Ward and Gary Smyth have been solid throughout.

Dungannon Swifts 0 – Glentoran 1

Attendance: 1,525

MoM: Chris Walker (Glentoran) – Superb return performance from the inspirational captain.

The draw for the Quarter-Finals takes place after the final whistle with our reward for qualification a home tie against Group 4 winners Institute. The game is scheduled for Tuesday 23rd September.

John McAuley is again grabbing the headlines with the Under 18 side, scoring twice as Jimmy Brown’s young side ran out 6-0 winners over Limavady United at The Oval.

Sat 20.09.03

Glentoran Vs Ballymena United – The Oval.

Northern Irish League Premier Division #1

Glentoran 4-4-2: Elliott Morris - Colin Nixon, Mark Glendinning ©, Sean Ward, Chris Walker - Darren Armour, Darren Lockhart, Richard Stansfield (Michael O’Neil), Scott Young - Andy Smith, Damien McLaughlin.

Weather: Wet, 9°C

Sean Ward is selected to partner to Chris Walker with Gary Smyth taking a place on the bench. Ballymena are a side we know very well having beaten them twice in recent league cup matches and goals from Danny McLaughlin and Andy Smith, laying on goals for each other, see us 2-0 ahead at the break.

Michael O‘Neil was introduced at the break, replacing Richard Stansfield in the centre of midfield. Ballymena’s Gareth McLaughlin was a constant threat during both League up group games, and he is at it again, crashing a twenty-yard strike off the cross bar within just sixty seconds of the restart. The chance seems to kick us back into action and before long Darren Lockhart has broken down the right to cross for Damien McLaughlin to head his second. A late Shea Campbell strike proves to be nothing more than a consolation goal.

Glentoran 3 – Ballymena United 1

Goals: McLaughlin 1-0, Smith 2-0, McLaughlin 3-0, Campbell 3-1.

Attendance: 1,549

MoM: Andy Smith (Glentoran) – A goal and an assist earns Smith the reward, having shown superb attacking play throughout.

League Table – 1 Game: Crusaders, Glentoran, Omagh, Portadown, Cliftonville, Dungannon (3pts); Coleraine, Institute (1pt); Ards, Linfield, Ballymena Utd, Distillery, Glenavon, Limavady Utd, Larne, Newry (0pts).

Tues 23.09.03

Glentoran Vs Institute – The Oval.

League Cup Qtr Final

Glentoran 4-4-2: Elliott Morris - Colin Nixon, Mark Glendinning ©, Sean Ward, Chris Walker - Darren Armour, Darren Lockhart, Richard Stansfield, Scott Young - Andy Smith, Damien McLaughlin.

Weather: Wet, 8°C

There was just the one change for Tuesday’s night League Cup Quarter-Final clash with Institute at The Oval. Injury to Mark Glendinning in Monday’s training session forced the left-back into two-week rehabilitation so Tim McCann was recalled from the reserve side to slot in. Glendinning’s captain’s armband went across the backline to right full-back Colin Nixon.

Opponents Institute got their season off to a solid start on Saturday with a 2-2 draw at Coleraine. Midfielder Darren McCreary certainly seems to be the side’s danger man, having found the net three times from midfield already. To be brutally honest, I wasn’t particularly keen on progression in the League Cup but as holders, we had a duty to perform. A suicidal back pass from Mark McCrystal gifted Andy Smith his fifth goal of the season to open the scoring four minutes before the break.

Our passage through to the Semi-Finals was sealed when Sean Ward headed in a right-wing corner for his first of the season.

Glentoran 2 – Institute 0

Goals: Andy Smith 1-0, Ward 2-0.

Attendance: 1,526

MoM: Andy Smith (Glentoran) – A strong display of front running sealed with a goal gives Smithy his second consecutive MoM award.

Again the draw for the next round takes place immediately after the full-time whistle resulting us being paired with an away tie at Linfield. The game would take place at Linfield’s Windsor Park home in three weeks time.

Youngster Marc Wilson was one of the few players to come out of the Under 18s 3-0 defeat away at Crusaders. Wilson has be a tower of strength for Jimmy Brown’s men throughout the season and may soon make the step up into the reserve side.

Sat 27.09.03

Distillery Vs Glentoran – New Grosvenor Stadium.

Northern Irish League Premier Division #2

Glentoran 4-4-2: Elliott Morris - Colin Nixon ©, Tim McCann, Sean Ward, Chris Walker - Darren Armour, Darren Lockhart, Richard Stansfield, Scott Young - Andy Smith, Damien McLaughlin (Tommy McCallion).

Tommy McCallion is back in contention following his return to match fitness and he takes Gary Smyth’s place on the bench for our first league away trip of the season at Distillery. Our hosts have made a poor start to the season having failed to progress past the League Cup’s group stages and losing the season opener away at Crusaders.

The first half is dominated by the home side though fine keeping from Elliott Morris keeps us in the game. A free-kick from Chris Deegan crashed off the crossbar before Morris tipped wide from Distillery striker Conor Downey. A half-chance to Andy Smith almost broke the deadlock though his header flashed wide of Scullion’s post to make sure it stayed 0-0 at half-time.

This evening’s fixture was a game dominated by both goalkeepers with Elliott Morris and Stephen Scullion making fine saves to keep the scores at zero. Scullion was the busier of the two stoppers, saving well from both Morris and Smith before referee Mark Courtney.

Lisburn Distillery 0 - Glentoran 0

Goals: None.

Attendance: 1,539

MoM: Stephen Scullion (Distillery) – Either goalkeeper could have taken the award but Scullion’s save from Andy Smith was crucial in earning his side a point.

League Table – 2 Games: Cliftonville, Crusaders, Dungannon (6pts): Linfield, Ards, Glentoran, Coleraine (4pts): Limavady Utd, Omagh, Portadown, (3pts); Distillery, Glenavon, Institute (1pt); Ballymena Utd, Larne, Newry (0pts).

The Northern Irish County Antrim Cup draw took place pairing us up with an away trip to Northern Irish League First Division side Ballyclare Comrades. The game is scheduled for Tuesday 28th October.

Sat 04.10.03

Glentoran Vs Glenavon – The Oval.

Northern Irish League Premier Division #3

Glentoran 4-4-2: Elliott Morris - Colin Nixon, Mark Glendinning ©, Sean Ward, Chris Walker - Darren Armour, Darren Lockhart, Richard Stansfield (Tommy McCallion), Scott Young - Andy Smith, Damien McLaughlin.

Weather: Wet, 13°C

Glenavon have collected just the one point so far this season, whilst go into the game looking to make it eleven competitive games without defeat. With this in mind, you can imagine my surprise when Craig McCracken turned home a long ball from Dean Smith to give the visitors an early lead.

We’re soon back in the game with chances falling to both McLoughlin and Darren Lockhart. Glenavon ‘keeper Karl Keating is equal to the both of those but he can do nothing to stop Andy Smith’s powerful header to tie the game up at 1-1 going into the interval. At half-time, I decide to give it five minutes before throwing on Tommy McCallion as a third striker with Richard Stansfield being sacrificed.

It doesn’t take long for the move to work as prolonged pressure leads to Smith finding McCallion inside the area and a sharp turn gave him his first goal since scoring against Ballymena United in the first of our League Cup group fixtures. Glenavon have a flurry of late corners but offer little in terms of a cutting edge and we collect our second league victory of the season.

Glentoran 2 – 1 Glenavon

Goals: 0-1 McCracken, 1-1 Smith, 2-1 McCallion.

Attendance: 1,562

MoM: Karl Keating (Glenavon) – Despite finishing on the losing side, Keating did all he could to keep Glenavon in the game.

League Table - 3 Games: Ards, Glentoran, Linfield (7pts); Limavady Utd, Dunagnnon, Portadown, Cliftonville (6pts); Crusaders (5pts); Coleraine, Distillery, Omagh (4pts); Newry (3pts), Flenavon, Institute (1pt), Ballymena Utd, Larne (0pts).

Haha, sounds good to me Rap! Thanks for reading! icon14.gif

Speaking to a national newspaper, midfielder Gavin Melaugh voices concerns over his recent omission from the first-team. With Scott Young, Richard Stansfield and Darren Armour in such good form, Melaugh has found his path to the side blocked and has spent recent weeks with Jimmy Brown’s reserve team.

In an amazing turn of events in Trikala, the Northern Ireland national side pulled off an astonishing 6-2 victory over Greece in the final match of their European Championship Qualification campaign. Hearts’ striker finished with a four goal haul with Preston’s David Healy hitting a brace.

Tues 14.10.03

Linfield Vs Glentoran – Windsor Park.

League Cup Semi Final

Glentoran 4-4-2: Elliott Morris - Colin Nixon, Mark Glendinning ©, Sean Ward, Chris Walker - Darren Armour, Darren Lockhart, Richard Stansfield (Young), Gavin Melaugh (McCallion) - Andy Smith, Damien McLaughlin.

Weather: Wet, 8°C

Arguably the biggest test of the season so far came in the Semi Finals of the League Cup with an away trip to Linfield. In a real crunch battle between two of Northern Ireland’s heavyweights, I recalled Gavin Melaugh to the side in a bid to boost the youngster’s morale. Having spoken at length during the Quarter Finals about the lack of importance in the League Cup, things suddenly change when we’re drawn to play one of Glentoran’s biggest rivals.

The game is all its cracked up to be and both sides clearly don’t want to lose. Linfield defend strongly with Noel Bailie and William Murphy whilst our own lion heart defenders Chris Walker and Sean Ward keep things safe in front of Elliott Morris. Linfield shade much of the first half with Glenn Ferguson going close before Murphy hit Morris’ crossbar with a far post header.

Things changed after the half-time period with Tommy McCallion linking up with McLoughlin and Smith to create a pronged-three attack. The new look brings us back into the game and for the final twenty minute we bombard the Linfield goal with everything but the kitchen sink. Murphy is forced to hack the ball off the line when McCallion’s shot appeared to be creeping in and Andy Smith’s drive crashed back into play off the post.

Even into injury time Linfield were having chances to win the game when neat work on the right from Larmour allowed Phil Charnock a header that just crept over. Needless to say, the game went to extra-time. Andy Smith actually had the ball in the Linfield net with thirty seconds of the extra period getting under way only for it to be ruled out through outside. Substitute Alan Neil went clean through for the home side only to shoot weakly into the grateful arms of Elliott Morris and the balance swung yet again.

Half-time in Extra-time passed without change in scoreline before slack marking at the back allowed Doug Larmour to race clear on Elliott Morris. Morris attempted to stay big but was well beaten by the Linfield striker, who’s shot crept inside the far post to give the Blues the lead with just twelve minutes left on the clock.

We threw everything into getting an equaliser and just thirty seconds later a throwing on the right was flicked on by Darren Armour and Damien McLoughlin turned gleefully to fire past Alan Mannus and equalise!!!

In scenes reminiscent to those when Chesterfield equalised against Middlesbrough in the Semi Final of the 1997/98 FA Cup, I rushed around my technical area a la John Duncan, only I managed to keep my glasses on.

With the game restarted, we again attacked down the right, forcing a thrown-in. Nixon found Young, who turned and sprayed a lovely cross-field pass to Darren Lockhart. Lockhart’s rising drive was claimed by Mannus.

Four minutes left now as Mannus hits the goal kick long and forces a panicked clearance from the normally ice cool Sean Ward, allowing the home side to sling a long-throw into our area. Thankfully, Morris is on hand to claim and boot clear.

McLaughlin challenges for the high ball with Larmour, who’s caught by a flailing elbow. Struggling off, Linfield are forced to move goalkeeper Mannus up field with only reserve-team goalkeeper Greg Shannon left on the bench. Seconds tick by and with the game seemingly over, Linfield are awarded a free-kick on the edge of our area. They throw everyone up, only for it to be quickly cleared leaving Andy Smith and Damien McLoughlin two-on-one! Seconds seem like minutes but before long Smith is galloping in on the Linfield penalty area. Choosing to pass, he finds McLoughlin who’s low drive is beaten clear by Shannon, coinciding with the game’s final whistle. Penalties.

We gather in the centre-circle, a huddle of Blue and a huddle of Green. Players put themselves forward with Tommy McCallion offering to go first. Captain Mark Glendinning is called away for the t0ss and returns to tell us they’ll take first.

So Elliott Morris is next to leave the group, willed on by his team-mates to stay big and make a much needed save. Mind games are in order as he readjusts Peter Marks’ placed ball on the penalty spot. Linfield fans behind the goal hurl abuse and even coins but Morris looks composed. Marks steps up, it’s a fine penalty and Morris is well beaten.

Now it’s Tommy’s turn and he walks forward coolly, placing the ball on the spot. We all know he’ll score, Tommy knows he’ll score and, more importantly, Linfield goalkeeper Greg Shannon knows he’ll score. He shoots down the centre, Shannon goes left, he scores, 1-1.

Morris returns to his office to face midfielder Ryan McCann. Again coins reign down on his goal but Morris stares directly at the taker. McCann shoots, it’s a poor penalty but Morris is unable to keep it from crossing the line. The pendulum swings in Linfield’s favour once again.

It’s midfielder Scott Young who volunteers to go next. He’s struts forward, looking confident, perhaps a bit too confident. It’s a weak penalty and Shannon bats it away. Linfield keep their lead.

Phil Charnock is next to kick for the home side. Morris stands on his line and Charnock’s penalty is struck. The ball goes left, Morris also goes left though unfortunately cannot keep it out. 3-1 Linfield.

It’s the goalscorer Damien McLaughlin’s turn to take now. He looks nervous, he’s still only a kid. A seasoned veteran would struggle in front of those Linfield fans. Shannon seems confident, even taking the time to tie his shoelaces before McLaughlin shoots. The youngster turns, takes two strides and fairly thumps the ball past Shannon into the top left-hand corner. A fantastic penalty! 3-2.

We need a save now. Linfield sub Alan Neill is next up for the home side, as his name rings out around Windsor Park. Morris takes his position on the goalline and again focuses on the taker. Neill dries his hands on his shirt, glancing up into the stand behind Morris. He steps up, shoot lefts and Morris saves!!!

Now it’s over to Darren Lockhart. Elliott has given us the chance, can Darren take it? He makes his way forward slowly, as boos and heckles sound out around the ground. Removing a glass bottle from the penalty area, Lockhart is taking his time. He’s dries the ball, and places it down. After receiving referee John Ferry’s signal, he steps up and hits the ball side-footed. Shannon’s guessed the right way, but the ball squirms under his body and we’re back level!!!

And so, the fifth round of penalties begins. Pat McShane marches forward for the home side. McShane, a left-back, is not renown for his shooting abilities but heart and determination can count for as much at times like these. He shoots, Morris dives but the wrong way, McShane’s penalty nestles inside the post. Advantage Linfield, 4-3.

It’s over to midfielder Darren Armour. He jogs forward, collecting the ball with a neat flick and marching the ball, in hand, towards the penalty spot. Greg Shannon stands on his line, hands on knees, focusing. Armour steps up, shoots and can only watch as Shannon guesses right and parries the ball away. Armour sinks to his knees and Shannon is buried under a pile of Blue bodies. The ground erupts.

I make my way forward with skipper Mark Glendinning at my side. Armour’s inconsolable, as is Scott Young, the other player who missed a spot-kick. Times like these are difficult - especially against the auld-enemy - and I’m left wondering how I’ll lift the troops for Saturday’s trip to Omagh Town.

Linfield 1 – Glentoran 1 (Linfield win 4-3 on penalties)

Goals: Larmour 1-0, McLoughlin 1-1.

Attendance: 7,841

MoM: William Murphy (Linfield) – Any number of players from either could have laid claim to the award but Linfield’s inspirational centre-half stood out.

The players were exhausted on the bus ride home, both mentally and physically and the £1,000 cash reward from the Northern Irish Football Association did little to raise their spirits. Things were a little easier for Portadown in the second semi final played on Wednesday evening. They ran out comfortable 6-1 winners over Cliftonville.

Sat 18.10.03

Omagh Town Vs Glentoran – St. Julian’s Road.

Northern Irish League Premier Division #4

Glentoran 4-4-2: Elliott Morris - Colin Nixon ©, Tim McCann, Sean Ward, Chris Walker - Darren Armour, Darren Lockhart, Richard Stansfield (Tommy McCallion), Scott Young - Andy Smith, Damien McLaughlin.

Weather: Dry, 14°C

We’re back in league action at mid-table Omagh and unsurprisingly, we’re not at the races in the first half. Omagh have much of the early running though Elliott Morris between the posts is once again in inspired form.

System changes are again made at the interval, with McCallion coming on to create the pronged-three attack. The move certainly brings a change in the over running of the game though McCallion can only find the Omagh goalkeeper when following up a saved effort from Andy Smith.

Smith himself had a late chance to snatch all three points, firing over when a loose ball dropped to him inside the area. Still, our unbeaten run in the league stretched to four games.

Omagh Town 0 - Glentoran 0

Attendance: 1,531

MoM: Gavin Cullen (Omagh) – Called upon late in the game to save, Cullen kept his side in the contest throughout.

League Table – 4 Games: Limavady Utd, Portadown (9pts); Glentoran (8pts); Ards, Dungannon, Cliftonville, Distillery, Linfield (7pts); Coleraine, Crusaders, Omagh (5pts); Ballymena Utd, Newry, Larne (3pts); Glenavon (2pts); Institute (1pt).

Darren Armour picked up a knock during the game at Omagh, and whilst he may not train all week, he will more than likely have recovered in time for next week’s home clash with Crusaders. Another player who takes a knock midweek is striker Andy Smith, again he’ll start, but whether he completes the game is another matter.

Sat 25.10.03

Glentoran Vs Crusaders – The Oval.

Northern Irish League Premier Division #5

Glentoran 4-4-2: Elliott Morris - Colin Nixon, Mark Glendinning ©, Sean Ward, Chris Walker - Darren Armour, Darren Lockhart, Richard Stansfield, Gavin Melaugh - Andy Smith (Tommy McCallion), Damien McLaughlin.

Weather: Dry, 8°C

A win, two draws and a defeat comprise Crusaders’ league record so far this year, as well as finishing bottom of the League Cup Group 4. It’s a game we should win, and an early goal from Damien McLoughlin sets us on our way after just twenty-one seconds. Smith is involved, showing no signs of his earlier injury, and McLoughlin is left to nod the ball over the advancing ‘keeper for his ninth of the season.

The first half is one we dominate and when Andy Smith is clattered from behind from Jason Smith, McLaughlin tucks away the resulting penalty to make it 2-0. Smith himself gets in on the act five minutes before the break and when Smith again goes in hard on a Glentoran player, McLaughlin gratefully accepts the penalty, tucking the first hat-trick of his professional career.

Amazingly, this all happened before half-time. It’s proving to be an afternoon where everything goes our way. Richard Stansfield finally gets one right and hits a perfect free-kick past Michael Dougherty in the Crusaders goal. Smith is replaced, giving McCallion an appearance and the domination continues, though only a Darren Lockhart chance with just seconds left on the clock provides any chance of a sixth. A superb performance to get us back to winning ways.

Glentoran 5 – Crusaders 0

Goals: McLaughlin 1-0, McLaughlin pen 2-0, Smith 3-0, McLaughlin pen 4-0, Stansfield 5-0.

Attendance: 3,270

MoM: Damien McLoughlan (Glentoran) – There’s only man who can take the award with McLoughlan’s first.

League Table – 5 Games: Portadown, Limavady Utd, (12pts); Glentoran (11pts); Dungannon, Ards (10pts); Coleraine (8pts); Cliftonville, Distillery, Linfield (7pts); Newry (6pts); Crusaders, Omagh (5pts); Ballymena Utd, Larne (4pts); Glenavon (2pts); Institute (1pt).

Our Chairman, Mr. Reynolds, it clearly delighted with the victory over one of the club’s oldest rivals. Slowly but surely, I’m beginning to understand Northern Irish football a little more. The passion is evident. No one wants to lose local pride.

Tues 28.10.03

Ballyclare Comrades Vs Glentoran – Dixon Park.

County Antrim Shield 1st Rnd.

Glentoran 4-4-2: Elliott Morris – Chris Pike, Mark Glendinning ©, Sean Ward, Chris Walker - Darren Armour, Darren Lockhart, Richard Stansfield (Darren McLaughlin), Scott Young (Paul Kee) – Tommy McCallion, Wille Hull (Andy Smith).

The County Antrim 1st Round cup clash with First Division side Ballyclare Comrades gives me the chance to rest one or two first-team regulars. Reserve-teamer Chris Pike gets the chance at right-back in place of Colin Nixon and in attack McCallion partners reserve-team striker and recent signing Willie Hull. Andy Smith and Damien McLaughlin both sit out on the bench.

Ballyclare have struggled to get into the groove of the new season, despite being Moyola Park 3-1 on the opening day. Defeats to Lurgan Celtic and Ballinamallard United have followed and manager James Kirk clearly sees the clash as a potential kick-start to his side’s fortunes.

The first half is one starved of chances with Ballyclare’s Eddie Hill perhaps having the best, only finding Elliott Morris when released by Stuart McLean. Damien McLaughlin opens the scoring, before Dean Doherty equalises, sending the game to penalties. During extra-time, injury to midfielder Gavin Melaugh forced the young midfielder off and with only Paul Kee left on the bench, the goalkeeper came on for the final minutes of extra-time in midfield. Damien McLaughlin and Tommy McCallion are both on target before misses from Darren Lockhart and Andy Smith see Ballyclare through. Having won the Shield for the last two years, we’re out in the First Round.

Ballyclare Comrades 1 – Glentoran 1 (Ballyclare win 4-2 on penalties)

Goals: McLoughlan 1-0, Doherty 1-1.

Attendance: 1,526

MoM: Alan Huxley (Ballyclare) – The Comrades ‘keeper makes several fine saves to keep his side in the game, before two penalty saves help his side to a famous victory.

Injury to reserve-team midfielder Conor Walsh picked up a thigh strain that would keep him out for up to two weeks. It’s unfortunate for the youngster, who has been a key figure in Jimmy Brown’s side. The same goes for experience centre-half Gary Smyth, who injures his knee in Thursday evening’s session, keeping him sidelined for anything up to a month.

Portadown’s Ronnie McFall collects the Premier Division ‘Manager of the Month’ award after guiding his side to three league victories throughout October. In the month’s ‘Goal of the Month’ award, Damien McLoughlin’s first against Crusaders comes in third behind goals from Glenavon’s Tim Graham and Ards’ Martin Hunter.

Tues 01.11.03

Limavady United Vs Glentoran – Limavady Showgrounds.

Northern Irish League Premier Division #6

Glentoran 4-4-2: Elliott Morris - Colin Nixon, Mark Glendinning ©, Sean Ward, Chris Walker - Darren Armour (Scott Young), Darren Lockhart, Richard Stansfield, Gavin Melaugh - Andy Smith, Damien McLaughlin.

Weather: Wet, 7°C

We’re back in league action with a tricky trip to joint league leaders Limavady United. We’re also back to a full strength side with Colin Nixon, Damien McLoughlin and Andy Smith all recalled in place of Pike, Hull and McCallion. Tommy McCallion is back on the bench. Hosts Limavady have made a particularly strong start to the season, with comprehensive victories over Omagh Town and Crusaders already (5-0 and 4-0 respectively).

A good number of travelling Glentoran ‘ultras’ were in attendance at the Limavady Showgrounds and enjoyed a bright start to the game. An early ball into the box gave Smith a chance which was saved before McLaughlin was upended and referee Stephen Wetherall pointed to the spot. McLaughlin kept his nerve and fired us into an 11th minute lead. Four minutes later, Smith again won a long ball forward from Walker only for United defender Paul Brown to handball. Again McLaughlin grabbed the ball and though his initial shot was saved, he made no mistake with the rebound, firing his second goal of the game.

Limavady are back in the game on the hour mark with slack defending from Chris Walker allowing Gary Simpson the chance to make it 2-1. Changes are made, taking off Darren Armour for Scott Young and moving Gavin Melaugh out onto the right-flank. It seems to work well, and Melaugh’s pace gives us a few extra options. Melaugh in fact weighs in with a time first of the season to extend our lead, and we’re delighted to hold on and collect a vital three points, lifting us above Limavady to the top of the pile.

Limavady United 1 – Glentoran 3

Goals: McLaughlin pen 1-0, McLaughlin pen 2-0, Simpson 2-1, Melaugh 3-1 .

Attendance: 1,712

MoM: Damien McLaughlin (Glentoran) –Two more goals to McLaughlin’s collection take his tally to fourteen in fourteen starts and he was again worth of his Man of the Match award today.

League Table – 6 Games: Glentoran (14pts); Ards (13pts); Portadown, Limavady Utd (12pts); Coleraine (11pts); Dungannon, Linfield (10pts); Cliftonville, Ballymena Utd, Larne, Distillery (7pts); Newry (6pts); Glenavon, Omagh, Crusaders (5pts); Institute (4pts).

With the league table beginning to take shape, I’m delighted to see us take top spot with a one point lead over Ards. With a top of the table clash to come next Saturday, it’ll be a fantastic game at The Oval.

Youngster Gary Spence returns to East Belfast on Thursday having spent the early part of the season on loan at First Division Carrick Rangers were he made five appearances.

Sat 08.11.03

Glentoran Vs Ards – The Oval.

Northern Irish League Premier Division #7

Glentoran 4-4-2: Elliott Morris - Colin Nixon, Mark Glendinning ©, Sean Ward, Chris Walker - Darren Armour (Tommy McCallion), Darren Lockhart, Richard Stansfield, Gavin Melaugh - Andy Smith, Damien McLaughlin.

Weather: Breezy, Wet, 8°C

I’m pleased to have a full squad to choose from for the visit of Ards, in a game vital to both sides as Ards look for their first title win since 1958. The season is only seven games old and there is a lot of football still to be played but Ards have been strong all season and anticipation is building at Clandeboye Park, Bangor.

As expected, it’s a difficult afternoon, with the swirling win not helping the quality of football. Andy Smith caused the Ards defence a few problems inside the opening half hour though striker partner Damien McLaughlin seemed to struggle to match. McLaughlin did win a flick that allowed Darren Armour a clean strike on goal and Elliott Morris was tested when left-back Thomas Heffernan stung the goalkeeper’s hands.

After the interval, we emerged as much the stronger side and Ards’ ‘keeper Stephen Robertson is the busier of the two stoppers. A long ball from substitute McCallion releases McLaughlin on the counter-attack and he was unfortunate not to add to his tally. Chris Walker is a tower of strength at the back and even went close at the other end with a fine header that clipped the Ards crossbar on the way over. Ards are pleased to come away with a point, whilst I’m a little regretful we didn’t make more of the opportunities we had.

Glentoran 0 - Ards 0

Attendance: 1,559

MoM: Chris Walker (Glentoran) – The inspirational defender is strong throughout and deserved more from his team-mates.

League Table – 7 Games: Glentoran, Portadown (15pts); Coleraine, Ards (14pts); Linfield (13pts); Limavady Utd (12pts); Dungannon, Ballymena Utd, Distillery (10pts); Newry (9pts); Omagh (8pts); Cliftonville, Larne, (7pts); Glenavon, , Crusaders (5pts); Institute (4pts).

Tuesday evening season the culmination of the League Cup, with Linfield taking on Portadown with the game being played at our home ground, The Oval in East Belfast. With the Final being played so close to home, I make the short trip to the ground to watch the game from the safety of the Directors’ Box. There seem to be quite a few Glentoran fans with the same idea and clashes between Glentoran and Linfield fans break out regularly both inside and outside of the ground.

It’s a fine game of which Portadown are deserved victors. They were already 2-0 up thanks to goals from Vinny Arkins and Gary Hamilton before Paul Dalglish scores to bring Linfield back into the game. However, any thoughts of a comeback are dashed when Tony Smith scores a third eight minutes from time.

Winger Kevin Keegan returned to the club on Thursday morning after three-months on loan at Carrick. Keegan played four times for the First Division side, scoring two goals. Carrick had been keen to keep the youngster at the club on a more permanent basis but I have high hopes for Keegan so he’s back at The Oval.

Injury to Mark Glendinning in Tuesday’s training session means he’ll miss at least three weeks football. With no game due to International fixtures, we’re back in action after a fortnights rest with an away trip Newry.

Sat 22.11.03

Newry Town Vs Glentoran – Newry Showgrounds.

Northern Irish League Premier Division #8

Glentoran 4-4-2: Elliott Morris - Colin Nixon ©, Chris Pike, Sean Ward, Chris Walker - Darren Armour, Darren Lockhart, Richard Stansfield, Gavin Melaugh - Andy Smith, Damien McLaughlin.

Weather: Wet, 5°C

With skipper Glendinning missing, Chris Pike is in at left-back with the captain’s armband returning to left full-back Colin Nixon. Things have improved for Newry in recent weeks with two victories in three games, including five goals in the 5-3 defeat of Distillery.

The conditions don’t suit flowing football and the opening twenty minutes are bogged down inside the centre area of the field. Darren Lockhart has the game’s first opportunity, shooting wide when played in by Andy Smith and the only other real chance of the first half sees Newry striker John Joe Maguire test Morris from twelve yards.

Changes are made at half-time to give us more of an attacking edge though still chances are hard to come by. Melaugh hits a half chance over the bar from twenty-five yards before McLaughlin goes close with a near-post header. We’re restricted to long-range efforts for much of the second half with Chris Walker just inches wide and Gavin Melaugh again going close. In the end, despite dominating, we’re limited to just a point on the road. Still, it maintains our unbeaten start to the season and we’re now the only side in the Premier Division with an unbeaten league record.

Newry Town 0 – Glentoran 0

Attendance: 1,539

MoM: Darren Lockhart (Glentoran) – In difficult conditions, winger Darren Lockhart was strong throughout and created several fine chances for his team-mates.

League Table – 8 Games: Portadown (18pts); Glentoran, Linfield (16pts); Coleraine, Ards (15pts); Dungannon (13pts); Limavady Utd (12pts); Ballymena Utd, Newry, Cliftonville, Larne, Distillery (10pts); Omagh (8pts); Institute (7pts); Glenavon, Crusaders (5pts).

Isn't cancelling a weekends' worth of games for Internationals a bit optimistic in Northern Ireland? icon_biggrin.gif

Great stuff though Gino icon14.gif - I had an entertaining game with Wakefield, in the Second Division, when I first got CM03/04. Some of the players were abysmal, but we seemed to do pretty well. Might have to return one day.

I don't know d_s, I've heard Limavady United are planning a swoop for Thierry Henry and Ruud van Nistelrooy! Prehaps it's just preparation. icon_biggrin.gif This is the first time I've given management in Ireland a go, and I'm really enjoying it! icon14.gif

The point, coupled with Portadown’s 6-1 win at Omagh Town means we drop to second place. Elsewhere, Linfield continue to exert pressure with a 3-0 victory over Ballymena United at Windsor Park.

Prior to the meeting with Coleraine the players are put through a light training session where Andy Smith falls awkwardly and tears his groin. It’s the one thing we don’t and with Tommy McCallion not 100% fit on the bench, reserve-team striker John McCauley, still just seventeen, is plucked for his first-team debut. Already having sixteen goals for both the reserves and Under 18 sides, I’m convinced he’ll have enough to get through the game.

Sat 29.11.03

Coleraine Vs Glentoran – Coleraine Showgrounds.

Northern Irish League Premier Division #9

Glentoran 4-3-3: Elliott Morris - Colin Nixon ©, Chris Pike, Sean Ward, Chris Walker - Darren Armour, Darren Lockhart, Gavin Melaugh – John McAuley, Tommy McCallion, Damien McLaughlin.

Weather: Breezy, Wet, 9°C

We line up with an extra striker to face Coleraine, with McCauley and McCallion both starting. McCauley replaces the injured Smith whilst McCallion is picked ahead of Richard Stansfield. McAuley starts brightly and is perhaps unfortunate not to score with his first effort on goal, a dipping strike that just crept over the Coleraine crossbar.

We enjoy much of the first half play with McCallion and McLaughlin linking well to force a save from Stewart Ingham whilst at the other end Coleraine are restricted to half-chances. The game’s golden opportunity comes with Chris Pike off the field receiving treatment. With Pike missing, we’re caught three on three at the break and Tolan goes close when Morris saves. Former Glentoran striker Rory Hamill has a couple of half chances as the first half draws to a close.

Goals are becoming difficult to come by and a goalless second half leads to our third consecutive goalless draw. Its not that we don’t have chances with McAuley and Darren Lockhart both having chances to give us victory. The point leaves us in 3rd position, four points behind leaders Portadown.

Coleraine 0 – Glentoran 0

Attendance: 1,534

MoM: Stuart Ingham (Coleraine) – A fine performance between the posts earns his side a point.

League Table – 9 Games: Portadown (21pts); Ards (18pts); Glentoran (17pts); Coleraine, Linfield (16pts); Dungannon (14pts); Newry, Larne (13pts); Limavady Utd (12pts); Ballymena Utd, Cliftonville (11pts); Distillery (10pts); Institute, Omagh (8pts); Glenavon, Crusaders (5pts).

The yellow card collected by Colin Nixon means he’s reached 20 disciplinary points for the season, forcing him out of the next week’s clash with Larne at The Oval.

News around the league speculates that the Glenavon board are finally losing patience with their boss, Alfie Wylie. The Lurgan club have struggled to get to grips with the start of their campaign, having collected just five points from nine games to sit in lowly fifteen, joint bottom alongside Crusaders.

It’s that time again for the ‘Manager of the May’ for November. Ards’ boss Frankie Parkes takes the Premier Division award having led his side to two victories and two vital away draws. His side now sit in second, behind Portadown.

Ballymena United’s Gareth McLaughlin collects both first and second ‘Goal of the Month’ awards for his strikes against Portadown and Cliftonville respectively.

Sat 06.12.03

Glentoran Vs Larne – The Oval.

Northern Irish League Premier Division #10

Glentoran 4-4-2: Elliott Morris – Paul Leeman, Mark Glendinning ©, Sean Ward, Chris Walker - Darren Armour, Darren Lockhart, Richard Stansfield, Gavin Melaugh – Tommy McCallion, Damien McLaughlin.

Weather: Dry, 6°C

Selection problems are beginning to mount up, what with Colin Nixon’s name added to Andy Smith and Mark Glendinning as those unavailable. Nixon’s replacement at right-back is 25-year-old Paul Leeman, and make no mistake about it, if it wasn’t for Nixon’s fine form, Leeman would have been a certain start himself. Leeman has 170 appearances in the Green, Red and Black of Glentoran and is a welcomed name on the team-sheet for many of the fans gathered at The Oval.

Larne’s fortunes have improved in recent weeks, with victories over Distillery, Crusaders and Glenavon in their previous four games. The points have helped drag Tommy Kincaid’s men back up the Premier Division. The Inver Park club have injuries and selection problems of their own with striker Peter Withnell and midfield man Ian Smyth both sitting out.

We start brightly with wide men Darren Lockhart and Darren Armour making inroads behind the Larne defence. A Lockhart cross was parried by Larne ‘keeper Andy McDonald before Tommy McCallion follows up, blasting the ball into orbit and into the stand. Again, worries about scoring surface when further chances for McCallion and Armour are wasted. The second half is a similar story, and while the battle at the back is won, limiting Larne to just one effort on goal, we struggle to convert anything up front and have to make do with our five goalless draw in seven league games.

Glentoran 0 – Larne 0

Attendance: 1,571

MoM: Andy McDonald (Larne) – Despite our strikers being guilty of wasting several fine chances, Andy McDonald was equal to everything thrown at him and deserved collected the ‘Man of the Match’ award from the sponsors.

League Table – 10 Games: Portadown (22pts); Ards (19pts); Glentoran (18pts); Coleraine (17pts); Linfield (16pts); Dungannon (15pts); Newry, Ballymena Utd, Larne (14pts); Limavady Utd (Pld 9), Distillery (13pts); Cliftonville (12pts); Omagh (9pts); Institute (8pts); Glenavon, Crusaders (6pts).

After taking just a point from their home game with Cliftonville, Glenavon boss Alfie Wylie is indeed released from his role as manager of the club.

The Irish Cup Fifth Round draw takes place and we’re drawn to face fellow Belfast side Cliftonville at Solitude on the 17th of January 2004.

Sat 13.12.03

Portadown Vs Glentoran – Shamrock Park.

Northern Irish League Premier Division #11

Glentoran 4-4-2: Elliott Morris - Colin Nixon, Mark Glendinning ©, Sean Ward, Paul Leeman - Darren Armour, Tim McCann, Gavin Melaugh, Scott Young – Tommy McCallion, Damien McLaughlin.

Weather: Wet, 4°C

We’re back to basics for the massive trip to Shamrock Park to take on arch-rivals Portadown. Mark Glendinning is welcome return to team-sheet, taking the captain’s armband. There’s also a change in the middle of defence where Paul Leeman is preferred to Chris Walker. With Darren Lockhart out having picked up a facial injury in training, Tim McCann is back in the side on the left-wing.

Top of the league, Portadown are the Division’s in-form side and we’re in danger of losing touch if we don’t start winning games, and quickly. Matching the ground, the Shamrock Park surface is in dreadful condition and makes difficult work playing any sort of decent football. It’s a real scrap with tackles galore, and thankfully we aren’t in the mood for shirking anything. There’s history between the two sides, that’s for sure.

The moment we’re been waiting for for over 425 minutes arrived when Sean Ward meets a Tim McCann corner from the right to power a header past Portadown ‘keeper James Millar for the nineteen-year-old’s first goal in senior football. Unfortunatly it’s a lead we hold for just sixty seconds with slack defending allowing Dean Fitzgerald to sneak through to toe his side back level almost immediately.

The second is difficult to watch. We’re desperately missing Andy Smith, as is made blatantly obvious with McAuley and McCallion missing chances that last season’s twenty-two league goal man would surely have finished. Gary Hamilton punishes a Elliot Morris error for his 50th Portadown goal just after the hour, and pushing for a late equaliser, we’re caught on the break, allowing Hamilton to score his second of the afternoon.

Portadown 3 – Glentoran 1

Goals: Ward 1-0, Fitzgerald 1-1, Hamilton 1-2, Hamilton 1-3.

Attendance: 1,611

MoM: James Millar (Portadown) – Again it’s the opposition’s goalkeeper who comes out of the game with the award.

League Table – 11 Games: Portadown (25pts); Ards, Linfield (20pts); Coleraine, Glentoran (18pts); Ballymena Utd (17pts); Dungannon (16pts); Newry, Larne (15pts); Limavady Utd, Distillery (14pts); Cliftonville (13pts); Omagh (10pts); Institute (9pts); Crusaders (7pts); Glenavon (6pts).

This week it’s Alan Dornan’s turn to bite the bullet, leaving Crusaders after their dismal start to the season.

Wed 17.12.03

Glentoran Vs Dungannon Swifts – The Oval.

Northern Irish League Premier Division #12

Glentoran 4-4-2: Elliott Morris - Colin Nixon ©, Tim McCann, Sean Ward, Paul Leeman - Darren Armour, Darren Lockhart, Gavin Melaugh, Scott Young – Tommy McCallion, Damien McLaughlin.

Weather: Dry, 4°C

Again injuries effect team selection with a training ground injury set to keep skipper Mark Glendinning out for anything up to a month. It’s out third meeting with Dungannon already this season, having beaten the Stangmore Park since twice during the League Cup Group stages 1-0. A similar result would be ideal today.

Dungannon sit in mid-table, having collected three draws in their last three games. However, with leading scorer Jonathan Topley missing, they may struggle in front of goal. Thankfully, with Damien McLaughlin giving us the lead after just four minutes, our goalscoring problems appeared to be over. It’s a fine goal, with McLaughlin taking a pass from Melaugh in his stride to shoot past Swifts’ ‘keeper Johnny Pollock.

Buoyed by the goal, we push on and grab a second minutes after the half-hour. A cross from Lockhart hangs in the air before Sean Ward fires the ball back in for his second goal in four days. For once, half-time is a time when we can talk of holding a lead, instead of attempting to find one.

The second half is one we dominate for long periods with Melaugh and McCallion going close to giving us a third. It eventually arrives from the trusty left boot of McLaughlin, collecting his second of the afternoon. Andy Kilmartin is introduced as a second half sub in place of Melaugh and performs well. It’s a fantastic feeling to hear the final whistle, knowing we’re back to winning ways.

Glentoran 3 – Dungannon 0

Goals: McLaughlin 1-0, Ward 2-0, McLaughlin 3-0.

Attendance: 1,634

MoM: Sean Ward (Glentoran) – The youngster is improving with every game and finding the net to boot.

League Table – 12 Games: Portadown (28pts); Ards (23pts); Glentoran (21pts); Ballymena Utd, Linfield (20pts); Coleraine (18pts); Newry, Dungannon (16pts); Limavady Utd, Larne (15pts); Cliftonville, Distillery (14pts); Omagh (13pts); Institute (10pts); Crusaders (8pts); Glenavon (7pts).

We have a light training session Thursday evening, before going through plans for Saturday’s meeting with Cliftonville on Friday. Thankfully, there don’t appear to be any more injuries inside my first-team squad.

Wed 20.12.03

Cliftonville Vs Glentoran – Solitude.

Northern Irish League Premier Division #13

Glentoran 4-4-2: Elliott Morris - Colin Nixon ©, Tim McCann, Sean Ward, Paul Leeman - Darren Armour, Darren Lockhart, Gavin Melaugh, Scott Young – Tommy McCallion, Damien McLaughlin.

It’s a trip across town to Solitude to take on 11th placed Cliftonville. We’re able to name the same side for once and it pays dividends with Tommy McCallion finding the net for the first time since our 2-1 home victory over Glenavon in early October.

The goal encourages more attacking play and McCallion is unfortunate not to get a second when his twenty-yard free-kick flashes wide of Martin McKenzie’s left-hand upright. The goal seems to have rejuvenated McCallion, as the rest of the side and when Scott Young capitalises on some loose Cliftonville defending to release the striker, a neat finish makes it 2-0 before the break.

The second half sees a continuation of our good form with a corner from the right leading to a goal mouth scramble from which Damien McLaughlin makes it 3-0 and seals all three points. There’s still time for substitute John McAuley to pop up and grab his first professional goal on a feed from Darren Lockhart.

Cliftonville 0 – Glentoran 3

Goals: McCallion 1-0, McCallion 2-0, McLaughlin 3-0, McAuley 4-0.

Attendance: 2,219

MoM: Tommy McCallion (Glentoran) – A return to the scoresheet coincides with a return to form and McCallion beats off competition from Gavin Melaugh to claim the award.

League Table – 13 Games: Portadown (31pts); Glentoran (24pts); Ards, Linfield (23pts); Ballymena Utd (20pts); Coleraine (19pts); Newry, Dungannon, Distillery (17pts); Larne, Omagh (16pts); Limavady Utd (15pts); Cliftonville (14pts); Glenavon, Institute (10pts); Crusaders (8pts).

Following the full-time whistle I rush back to The Oval to complete a deal to bring Wakehurst’s Richard Cameron to the club during January’s transfer window. No fee is involved. At just seventeen, Cameron is definitely one for the future but having impressed all season for the Second Division side it’s an opportunity too good to pass up.

Fri 26.12.03

Glentoran Vs Linfield – The Oval.

Northern Irish League Premier Division #14

Weather: Dry, 11°C

On Boxing Day, it’s the big one – Linfield are in town. Keen for revenge following the heartache of the League Cup semi final defeat, the players are fully focused. The rivalries between Glentoran and Linfield go way back. As the countries two ‘biggest’ teams, clashes both on and off the field are now part of Northern Irish football folklore. Today’s meeting at The Oval is set up to be just another chapter.

It’s a frantic start in front of a passionate home crowd. We enjoy early possession through Tim McCann and Darren Lockhart down the left and force two early corners. The second is fired low and hard into the box, Linfield defenders panic and the ball drops to Tommy McCallion. He controls, he turns and he shoots. Seconds later, the net bulges, he scores!

We’re well on top with Linfield on the back foot. Melaugh goes close from distance before Mannus saves well from Armour. The crowd sense a second goal and their not disappointed when McCallion flicks on to find McLaughlin. The young striker dances past the Linfield stopper and fires into the empty to polish off a fantastic team move, arguably the best of the season so far. It’s 2-0 after just sixteen minutes!!

It’s party atmosphere inside The Oval with three sides awash with Green, Black and Red whilst behind the goal, the Linfield supporters can only look on in astonishment. Open-mouthed, they can only watch as Lockhart and Melaugh combine to send McLaughlin clear. Again he goes past Mannus and shoots into the unguarded goal. He’s only made it 3-0!!!

Half-time is still a little under twenty minutes away with the game just twenty-six minutes old. The Blues are shell-shocked and I allow myself a sly gloat to Linfield boss and long time Glentoran foe David Jeffrey. A ball into the box from a rampant Lockhart is only half cleared. Armour hangs a high ball up and up goes a Linfield hand. Penalty! McLaughlin places the ball on the spot, takes two steps back and hammers the ball past Mannus. He’s got another hat-trick and its 4-0 before half-time!!!!

By the interval, much of the Linfield end has emptied. They’re in as much disbelief as the Glentoran fans, believing Christmas had come a day late.

The second half is just six minutes old when Darren Armour sets off after a lost-cause on the right-wing. Beating full-back McShane to the loose ball he crosses into the area. It misses everyone. Lockhart hammers it back into the area and McCallion’s there to turn the ball home to make it 5-0!!!!!

At full-time, many of the Glentoran fans can’t help but clamber over the fences to salute their heroes. Beating any side by five goals to nil is no mean feat but when that side happens to be arguably your biggest rivals, it’s a little bit special.

Glentoran 5 – Linfield 0

Goals: McCallion 1-0, McLaughlin 2-0, McLaughlin 3-0, McLaughlin pen 4-0, McCallion 5-0.

Attendance: 4,217

MoM: Damien McLaughlin (Glentoran) – There’s only one winner with McLaughlin’s hat-trick, including his 20th goal of the season making him a worthy winner on a day he’ll never forget.

League Table – 14 Games: Portadown (31pts); Glentoran (27pts); Ards (26pts); Linfield (23pts); Coleraine (22pts); Ballymena Utd (21pts); Newry, Distillery (20pts); Limavady Utd (18pts); Dungannon, Omagh (17pts); Larne (16pts); Cliftonville (14pts); Crusaders (11pts); Glenavon, Institute (10pts).

UTV – Sports View

JF: “Hello, I’m John Ford and you’re watching Sports View on UTV, home of the Northern Irish Football League. Joining me is Glentoran manager Stan Ginozola, fresh after yesterday’s emphatic Boxing Day victory over arch-rivals Linfield at ‘The Oval’, East Belfast. Stanley, thanks for joining us, you must be delighted.â€

SG: “I certainly am, John. I couldn’t have asked anything more from the boys yesterday. From the first to the last whistle they are at the races and I’m sure anybody who say the game would save we were good money for our five goals.â€

JF: “And perfect revenge for October’s League Cup Semi Final defeat at Windsor Park.â€

SG: “It’s never nice to get knocked out of the cup, especially in the manner we did. The players knew they’d have the chance to get their own back with a good performance yesterday and, as the result shows, we did just that. But we know Linfield will be keen to do the same to us when we meet again in March. We’ll have to be on our guard.â€

JF: “Damien McLaughlin was the hero yesterday, grabbing his second hat-trick of the season, including his 20th goal of the season. He’s been linked with a move across the water to England this morning. Can you shed any light on the rumours?â€

SG: “At the moment their strictly rumours. I spoke with my Chairman this morning and he confirmed there has been no contact from any side concerning Damien, but he’s a pure goalscorer and pure goalscorers are a rare breed in football these days. I’d expect sides to be interested in him, but he’s going nowhere.â€

JF: “Now you’re back in action on New Year’s Day with a trip to Ballymena United. You’ll be hopeful of a similar result?â€

SG: “Of course, John. Ballymena are a side we know a lot about having beaten them three times already this season, but we’ll be taking nothing for granted. Their a well organised side but we’ll be ready.â€

JF: “Stan, thanks for coming on the show.â€

The end of the year brings about the various awards around the footballing world. Real Madrid’s Roberto Carlos takes the ‘World Player of the Year Award’, Bayern Munich’s Ze Roberto collects the ‘World Footballer of the Year’ award and Edgar Davids takes the ‘European Footballer’ award.

The opening of the transfer window allows the completion of Richard Cameron’s move to The Oval from Wakehurst.

Transfer In:

Richard Cameron – DM R/C, 17yrs – Free Transfer from Wakehurst.

Thu 01.01.04

Ballymena United Vs Glentoran – Ballymena Showgrounds.

Northern Irish League Premier Division #15

Weather: Dry, 8°C

Having beaten Linfield so convincingly, I could do little else but name the same side to take on Ballymena on New Year’s Day. It’s the least they deserve. As I told John Ford, Ballymena are a side we know particularly well and I’m again confident of taking victory. That’s despite the fact that winning five victories from seven outings on their own patch make the Ballymena Showgrounds one of the toughest places for an away side to grind out a result.

We need a good start and we’re given one when Tommy McCallion curls home a free-kick to give us the lead on thirteen minutes for his tenth of the season. Not to be out done, Sean Ward gets up highest in a crowded penalty area to head his third goal of the season and we’re well in the driving seat at 2-0.

It’s not all one way traffic in the first half with the impressive Gareth McLaughlin proving a constant thorn in our side throughout. Elliott Morris is forced to save well at his feet with thirty-eight minutes on the clock. Indeed, it’s McLaughlin who’s at the forefront of most of the Ballymena offence and with just seconds remaining in the opening period his diving drive strikes the inside of Morris’ post and we’re fortunate to see it bounce out and be hacked away to safety.

The second-half is a similar story to the first. We enjoyed much of the possession though the home side were always looking dangerous on the counter-attack. With two minutes left on the clock, the 1,546 people gathered inside the Ballymena Showgrounds bear witness to one of the strangest goals every scored. A free-kick, situated just inside the Ballymena half is hit forward from Scott Young. Catching the strong breeze blowing around the Showgrounds, it floats over the head of stranded goalkeeper Robert Robinson and nestles in the back of the home goal.

Ballymena United 0 – Glentoran 3

Goals: McCallion 1-0, Ward 2-0, Young 3-0.

Attendance: 4,217

MoM: Sean Ward (Glentoran) – Another fine performance from the youngster, obviously revelling in his role as centre-half.

League Table – 15 Games: Portadown (34pts); Glentoran (30pts); Ards, Linfield (26pts); Coleraine (25pts); Distillery (23pts); Newry, Ballymena Utd (21pts); Dungannon (20pts); Limavady Utd (18pts); Omagh (17pts); Larne (16pts); Cliftonville (15pts); Glenavon (13pts); Crusaders (11pts); Institute (10pts).

Coleraine dip into the transfer market to bring in Ards Rangers’ highly-rated centre-half Jason Johnson. At just nineteen, Johnson is seem by many as the future of Northern Irish football and a big money move across to the English League is expected. He’s a player I’d love to have signed myself but with financial constraints as they are, I stand little chance of making any monetary signings in the foreseeable future.

One player I am keen on bringing to The Oval is Cliftonville striker George McMullan. McMullan has spent much of the season out on loan at Limavady United where he has weighed in with nine goals in thirteen league games. A rumoured falling-out between McMullan and Cliftonville boss Marty Tabb is thought to causing distress for the two parties and a move to Glentoran move prove ideal once he returns from Limavady.

Wed 07.01.04

Institute Vs Glentoran – Riverside Stadium.

Northern Irish League Premier Division #16

Weather: Dry, 4°C

It’s a cold day in Drumahoe as we look to make it five league wins on the trots with a good performance against bottom of the league Institute. Again we’re able to continue with a settled side and the fact we’re able to again name the same team is a vital factor in our good form.

We’re slow out of the blocks with Ryan Semple cutting in off the left wing to shoot past Morris to put the home side 1-0 up inside the opening two minutes. It fails to wake us up and Institute make it 2-0 with a Thomas Wray header eighteen minutes later.

Thankfully things start to improve and Damien McLaughlin gets us back into the game with a well taken goal in the 28th minute before Tommy McCallion beats ‘keeper John Connolly to equalise. Sensing a victory, we push on but a goalkeeping error from Morris allows Steven Parkhouse to shoot into an open goal to restore his side’s lead on the hour. Darren Armour is unfortunate to see his strike come back off the inside of the post a minute later, before Connolly saves from McCallion.

The game’s pace begins to quicken as Armour is pushed forward as an extra striker and the move pays dividends just minutes later as the former Distillery man breaks down the right to cross for substitute John McCauley to head a vital equaliser. Institute again go in search of the lead and, direct from the centre, the ball ends up down our left hand side where Semple crosses for Ryan Coyle to make it 4-3 Institute.

Institute’s win is confirmed when injury to goalkeeper Elliott Morris leaves Paul Hegarty free to head home from a corner to make it 5-3. I’m furious.

Institute 5 – Glentoran 3

Goals: Semple 0-1, Wray 0-2, McLaughlin 2-1, McCallion 2-2, Parkhouse 2-3, McAuley 3-3, Coyle 3-4, Hegarty 3-5.

Attendance: 1,516

MoM: Thomas Wray (Institute) – A goal and a fine defensive display earns the attacking full-back the award.

League Table – 16 Games: Portadown (37pts); Glentoran (30pts); Ards (29pts); Linfield (27pts); Coleraine, Distillery (26pts); Ballymena Utd (24pts); Newry (22pts); Dungannon (21pts); Limavady Utd (18pts); Omagh (17pts); Glenavon, Larne (16pts); Cliftonville (15pts); Institute (13pts); Crusaders (11pts).

Our defeat leaves Portadown free to open up a seven-point gap at the top of the Premier Division. Below us, Ards continue to exert pressure with a fine 4-2 away victory at Cliftonville. Fourth-placed Linfield and fifth-placed Coleraine share a 2-2 draw at Windsor Park. Newry Town are proving to be the Division’s ‘in-form’ side with their 1-1 draw with Dungannon Swifts extending their unbeaten run to ten games.

Sat 10.01.04

Glenavon Vs Glentoran – Mouneview Park.

Northern Irish League Premier Division #17

Glentoran 4-4-2: Elliott Morris - Colin Nixon ©, Tim McCann, Sean Ward, Paul Leeman – Kevin Keegan, Darren Lockhart, Gavin Melaugh, Scott Young – Tommy McCallion, Damien McLaughlin.

Three days later we back in action with a league game in Lurgan against another struggling side, this time in Glenavon. Andy Smith is edging ever closer to full-fitness but is still perhaps two or three weeks away whilst Mark ‘SAS’ Glendinning will miss this game before hopefully being available for Wednesday’s visit of Distillery.

We couldn’t have made a worst start to the game. Glenavon’s Aidan McVeigh gave a beautiful pass to Andy Hamilton on the left, his first time cross found Philip Rogan who controlled and shot but the effort was blocked by Elliott Morris. From the rebound Simon Williams managed to shoot across the face of the goal and inside the far post.

We had chances of our own with Kevin Keegan, in the side for Darren Armour going close on two occasions. His second effort gave Glenavon ‘keeper Karl Keating a nasty knock to the fingers and attention was required.

We got back into the game in the 27th minute when a corner from the right was swept home by centre-half Sean Ward. Having equalised, we really should have gone on to win the game in the second half but two goals in five minutes from Glenavon’s Gerard McMahon and David Scullion put the victory beyond doubt for the home side whilst we slipped to our second league defeat in consecutive games, losing ground on both Ards and Portadown at the top of the table.

Glenavon 3 – Glentoran 1

Goals: Williams 0-1, Ward 1-1, McMahon 1-2, Scullion 1-3.

Attendance: 1,538

MoM: Johnny Wright (Glenavon) – Glenavon limited our strike force to few chances and centre-half Johnny Wright was at the very fore of this.

League Table – 17 Games: Portadown (38pts); Ards (32pts); Glentoran, Linfield (30pts); Distillery (29pts); Coleraine (26pts); Dungannon, Ballymena Utd (24pts); Newry (22pts); Omagh (20pts); Glenavon (19pts); Limavady Utd (18pts); Cliftonville, Larne, Institute (16pts); Crusaders (11pts).

Thanks for your support bjorn! I'm hoping I can turn things around pretty sharpish!

There was some much welcomed good news at the club ahead of Wednesday trip to Lisburn Distillery with Mark Glendinning coming through Monday evening’s training session without any further injury. Scout Miles Jacobson has been keeping an eye on Distillery over previous weeks and reports back with news that their boss Paul Kirk has been employing a 4-4-2 formation. He also notes that their strong midfield and pacey front men are two areas of play that we will need to be on guard for if we are to return to winning ways.

On Wednesday morning, I receive a call from Chairman Stafford Reynolds telling me of an £575,000 offer for striker Andy Smith. Smith is a firm fan’s favourite at ‘The Oval’ and is a real talent who already has four international caps to his name. Hearing the fee, I’m tempted to cash in but when I’m told we’re receive nothing upfront and only get our hands on the £575,000 when Smith scores ten goals, I’m a little less convinced. In the end, we decide against the sale and keep Smith at the club.

Wed 14.01.04

Glentoran Vs Distillery – The Oval.

Northern Irish League Premier Division #18

Glentoran 4-4-2: Elliott Morris - Colin Nixon, Mark Glendinning ©, Sean Ward, Paul Leeman – Kevin Keegan, Darren Lockhart, Gavin Melaugh, Scott Young – Tommy McCallion, Damien McLaughlin.

Weather: Dry, 3°C

With games coming thick and fast it was pleasing to welcome back our intimidating skipper Mark Glendinning for the home clash with Lisburn Distillery at The Oval. Having lost our previous two fixtures, it’s vital we collect something from tonight, simply to keep pace with Portadown and Ards were can pull away if we’re not careful. Distillery themselves are hot on our heels in fifth place and three points for the visitors tonight could in fact lift them above us.

Although we had the best of the very early minutes the first quarter of an hour passed with very little incident. But, in the 19th minute a horror tackle from Michael Ferguson on Glendinning took place right in front of the two dugouts. The referee flashed a yellow card while the skipper received treatment for a couple of minutes. It wasn’t long before he was in the wars again, this time Tim Mouncey let him feel the weight of a tackle the referee didn’t penalise.

It was turning into a difficult evening. Distillery were clearly out to frustrate the reigning league champions and we were in danger of letting them get the better of us. Glendinning had to be calmed down by his team-mates when he was again caught late by David Wright and Kevin Keegan was sent flailing when hit hard by Distillery captain Paul Caldwell.

In an attempt to shake things up, I made changes at the interval. Damien McLaughlin and Tommy McCallion were both withdrawn with Darren Armour and John McAuley making up the second half strike force. We managed to inflict more pressure on The Whites but were unable to find that vital opening goal.

Distillery themselves were enjoying some extended spells of possession and Morris had to be alert to tip away a Ferguson header.

The game looked to be heading towards another 0-0 draw until Scott Young and Darren Lockhart combined to play in John McAuley on the angle. Coming in from the left, McAuley’s original effort was parried though his follow up was more accurate, piercing goalkeeper Scullion’s hands and flying into the back of the net to give us victory.

Glentoran 1 – Distillery 0

Goals: McAuley 1-0.

Attendance: 1,594

MoM: John McAuley (Glentoran) – A vital last minute strike is enough to gift youngster McAuley his first senior MoM to go alongside the seven he has collected with the reserves and Under 18s.

League Table – 18 Games: Portadown (41pts); Ards (35pts); Glentoran (33pts); Linfield (31pts); Coleraine, Distillery (29pts); Dungannon, Ballymena Utd (24pts); Newry (23pts); Glenavon (22pts); Omagh (21pts); Limavady Utd, Cliftonville (19pts); Larne, Institute (16pts); Crusaders (11pts).

Thanks Terk! icon_biggrin.gif

So with twelve league games remaining the race was on to catch up with leaders Portadown, maintaining their lead at the top with a 1-0 home win over Dungannon Swifts. With a meeting with our arch-rivals still to come in late March, the chance was still alive if we could just keep on picking up the points.

‘ROONEY SIGNS FOR OMAGH’ screamed the billboards. Unfortunately for fans of the St. Julian’s Road club, it was Institute’s twenty-seven-year-old winger Barry Rooney, who agreed to join when his contract expires with his club in the summer.

We also had to face losing a player due to the Bosman ruling, in experienced midfielder Michael O’Neill. The former Hibs and Coventry City man decided against a lesser role at ‘The Oval’ in favour of a first-team role at Glenavon. It’s been a difficult season for O’Neill with injuries, lack of form and suspension hindering his first-team chances.

Sat 17.01.04

Cliftonville Vs Glentoran - Solitude.

Irish Cup 5th Rnd.

Glentoran 4-4-2: Elliott Morris - Colin Nixon, Mark Glendinning ©, Sean Ward, Paul Leeman – Kevin Keegan, Darren Lockhart, Gavin Melaugh, Scott Young – Tommy McCallion, Damien McLaughlin.

Weather: Dry, 7°C

Whilst the break from league fixtures was gratefully accepted, local pride and the bid to retain the Irish Cup was at stake with a 5th Round tie with Belfast rivals Cliftonville at Solitude. Cliftonville will be glad of the break for more pressing matters in the league, but every knows that victories in the cup spark the same form in the league. However, they will be without ‘their’ striker Jason Hill, unavailable due to the fact he’s on loan from us!

Again, lack of first-teamers means we’re forced to name the same side with Andy Smith still a good week’s training away from a start.

Having gone out in the semi-finals of the League Cup to rivals Linfield, progression in the Irish Cup becomes extra-important so I’m delighted when a bright start leads to Tommy McCallion converting a cross from Damien McLaughlin on the right to send us into a 1-0 after just eleven minutes.

However it’s not long before Cliftonville show that it’s not going to be easy, with Brian Vaugh forcing Elliott Morris to save well at his near post. The resulting corner is only half cleared from Sean Ward and Vaugh’s follow-up effort is again just fractions away from equalising for the home side.

Tommy McCallion almost grabbed his second of the game on twenty-four minutes when his snap shot from twelve yards caught McKenzie off guard. Unfortunately the flash wide of the right-hand post. Still, we didn’t have to wait long to take a two goal lead. ‘Wee Scotty’ Young was the creative influence behind it, playing in McCallion’s whose effort on goal was parried with McLaughlin following up to score.

With the home side hanging on for dear life, we had further chances to increase our lead before the interval. A fine ball forward from Leeman caught the Cliftonville defence off guard and McCallion’s audacious over-head kick rattled the crossbar. Cliftonville boss Marty Tabb was begging for the half-time whistle.

Our second half defensive play was inspirational with Sean Ward and Paul Leeman both playing on with gashes to their foreheads following clashes with Timothy Whelan’s elbow, both of which incidents when unpunished. Cliftonville were restricted to long range efforts in an attempt to claw them selves back into the game, all of which failed to find their target. Elliott Morris had little to do but watch the players in front of him look for a third. Substitutes Darren Armour and John McAuley were both unlucky not to add their names to the scoresheet late on but with two goals enough to seal our passage through, we’re delighted.

Cliftonville 0 – Glentoran 2

Goals: McCallion 1-0, McLaughlin 2-0.

Attendance: 2,694

MoM: Colin Nixon (Glentoran) – Either Sean Ward, Nixon himself or Paul Leeman had an equal shout for the award but Nixon’s assist on the McLaughlin strike convinced the Man of the Match selection panel.

The draw for the Sixth Round took place immediately after the game and we’re gien a home tie with Premier Division rivals Dungannon Swifts to be played at ‘The Oval’ on the 14th of February.

Andy Smith returned to full training with the first-team on Thursday evening and came through without any further problems. He’ll probably start on the bench for Saturday’s visit of Omagh Town.

Sat 24.01.04

Glentoran Vs Omagh Town – The Oval.

Northern Irish Premier Division #19.

“With last season’s leading scorer Andy Smith back on the bench, Glentoran returned to league action with a visit from 11th placed Omagh Town, enduring another mediocre season in the Premier Division. Coupled with the return of Smith and last season’s comprehensive 5th Round Irish Cup victory at local rivals Cliftonville, the Glentoran players were given a colourful reception out onto the Oval playing surface and quickly set about playing attractive, incisive attacking football.

The Glenmen’s first chance came shortly after the three minute mark when, released by strike partner McCallion, leading scorer Damien McLaughlin tested Omagh ‘keeper Gavin Cullen with a dipping strike from just inside the area. It was a start that continued into the rest of the first half with Scotty Young looking dangerous alongside Northern Ireland Under 21 international Gavin Melaugh.

The opening goal arrived in the 20th minute. The man with the famous name, Kevin Keegan, did well on the right before shelling a low cross into the Omagh penalty area. Cullen came to collect only to drop it at the feet of McLaughlin who wasted no time in rifling the ball into the unguarded goal to net his 15th league goal of the season.

Glentoran enjoyed the lion’s share of possession for the first half, as they did for much of the second though Elliott Morris had to be alive to beat away a twenty-yard strike from Omagh captain Eamon Kavanagh. Back up the other end, McCallion turned Kerr though could only find Cullen when shooting towards goal.

The moment the Glen’s fans had been waiting for arrived just after the hour when manager Stan Ginozola signalled for Andy Smith to replace McCallion. Smith was given a rousing reception from all four sides of the Oval and settled into his usual position alongside McLaughlin. It was Smith’s first appearance since the 0-0 draw away at Newry Town in late November 2003.

Smith had chances to extend Glentoran’s lead but perhaps a little rusty. His far post header failed to trouble Cullen before he shot wide when played clear by the impressive Scotty Young. Still, it was another impressive victory for the Glenmen who are hot on the tails of leaders Portadown in the race for the Premier Division title.â€

Glentoran 1 – Omagh Town 0

Attendance: 1,583

MoM: Gavin Melaigh (Glentoran) – Another impressive display for the Northern Irish Under 21 international.

League Table – 19 Games: Portadown (44pts); Ards (38pts); Glentoran (36pts); Coleraine (32pts); Linfield (31pts); Distillery (29pts); Ballymena Utd (27pts); Dungannon (24pts); Newry (23pts); Glenavon, Cliftonville (22pts); Omagh (21pts); Limavady Utd, Larne (19pts); Institute (16pts); Crusaders (14pts).

Though I was delighted with victory over Omagh, it was something of a pain to return to the dressing room to hear the day’s results. Portadown won again, and in impressive fashion, hitting five past Linfield at Shamrock Park. With Ards easing past Distillery by three goals to nil, we were still in third position.

The Glentoran fans were in hysterics upon hearing the Linfield result, and even more so when news came through on Sunday morning of manager David Jeffrey’s sacking. Cheer up Davey.

Wed 28.01.04

Crusaders Vs Glentoran - Seaview.

Northern Irish Premier Division #20.

“Glentoran are back in league action tonight with a trip to fellow Belfast side Crusaders. Speaking to Belfast FM, Glens boss Stan Ginozola told how he again expects to name the same side that saw off Omagh Town by one goal to nil at ‘The Oval’ on Saturday. Crusaders are having a poor season by anybody’s standards, sandwiched to the bottom of the league having taken just fifteen points from twenty games.â€

Sometimes you just have to hold your hand up and say you’ve been well beaten by a sublime piece of skill, as I told goalkeeper Elliott Morris immediately after Eddie Sprake’s thirty-yard free-kick left the former Derby County goalkeeper grasping at fresh air to give the home side the lead inside five minutes at Seaview. It was a goal right out of the top drawer.

We have a free-kick of our own minutes later, thanks to Scott Young’s tricky feet, drawing a foul from Crusaders defender Jason Allen. Young’s low ball into the box was deflected over by Colin Nixon. Under the cosh, Crusaders buckled soon after with McLaughlin racing clear to round goalkeeper Michael Knox to score.

Back in the game, we’re back in control and Damien McLaughlin again wheels away in celebration in the 24th minute after heading a cross from McCallion past Knox to make it 2-1. The young striker was unfortunate to be denied his hat-trick with the next attack, Knox this time getting the better of him with a save down at his left-hand post.

Crusaders equalised in the second half, through former Glentoran trialist Gareth Macklin. It’s a goal their second half play deserves with slack defending from our boys also attributing. Though we throw everything in search of a winner, we’re made to pay and take just a point from the bottom of the league side. To add to our misery, a second half booking for Sean Ward takes his tally to 20 disciplinary points meaning another one match spell on the sidelines.

Crusaders 2 – Glentoran 2

Goals: Sprake 0-1, McLaughlin 1-1, McLaughlin 1-2, Macklin 2-2.

Attendance: 2,677

MoM: Damien McLaughlin (Glentoran) – With two more goals to add to his tally, McLaughlin moves level with Portadown’s Gary Hamilton with seventeen league goals.

League Table – 20 Games: Portadown (47pts); Ards (39pts); Glentoran (37pts); Coleraine (33pts); Distillery (32pts); Linfield (31pts); Ballymena Utd (30pts); Dungannon (27pts); Newry, Glenavon (23pts); Limavady Utd, Omagh, Cliftonville (22pts); Larne (19pts); Institute (16pts); Crusaders (15pts).

Sat 31.01.04

Glentoran Vs Limavady Utd – The Oval.

Northern Irish Premier Division #21.

Glentoran 5-3-2: Elliott Morris – Paul Leeman, Gary Smyth, Chris Walker, Colin Nixon, Mark Glendinning – Gavin Melaugh, Scott Young, Darren Lockhart – Andy Smith, Damien McLaughlin.

With Sean Ward missing, I decided to employ a changed system for the visit of Limavady United. Though they sat in 11th place in the Premier Division, I believed that their position flattered to deceive. Striker McMullan was currently one of the hottest properties in the whole of Irish football and already stated my intent to bring him to the club in the near future. We adopted a 5-3-2 formation, with Mark Glendinning and Colin Nixon operating as wingbacks. The centre-half positions were filled by Paul Leeman, Gary Smyth and Chris Walker.

Not sure how the new system would work, I was pleased to see us take an early lead through Scott Young. Space in the middle allowed Walker to bring the ball out of defence, finding Gavin Melaugh on the right wing. Melaugh’s cross was only half cleared to Young who beat two men before finding the near corner with a neat finish. Unfortunately it was a lead that we held for just four minutes when Mark McDaid got in to level with a back post header.

We continued to press and were rewarded on the half-hour when Melaugh cut in from the right wing to finish from a near impossible angle to restore our lead. It was a goal Melaugh’s recent form deserved. A two-goal at 3-1 was established in the dying minutes of the opening half when Andy Smith raced onto a through ball and shot firmly at goal. His shot was blocked by Michael Doherty but the ‘keeper could do nothing to stop Damien McLaughlin, who was quick to seize on the loose ball, blasting the rebound into the roof of the net. It was a little harsh on Limavady to go in at the break two goals behind but they had made little of their early good work.

Whilst we won the first-half, the second belonged to the visitors. McDaid’s dipping strike grazed our crossbar before three fine saves from Morris kept the score at 3-1. That was until the final ten minutes, when Gerard O’Kane took a long ball on his chest inside our penalty and was given time and space to shoot make, scoring to make it 3-2.

We were battered for the final ten minutes but thankfully thanks to two fine saves, some hungry defending and a stroke of luck, we held firm, returning to winning ways.

Glentoran 3 – Limavady Utd 2

Goals: Young 1-0, McDaid 1-1, Melaugh 2-1, McLaughlin 3-1, O’Kane 3-2.

Attendance: 1,637

MoM: Darren Lockhart (Glentoran) – A tireless performance on the left-wing, having a hand in all three goals.

League Table – 21 Games: Portadown (50pts); Ards (42pts); Glentoran (40pts); Coleraine (36pts); Linfield (34pts); Distillery (32pts); Dungannon, Ballymena Utd (30pts); Newry, Glenavon (24pts); Limavady Utd, Omagh, Cliftonville, Larne (22pts); Institute (16pts); Crusaders (15pts).

Once again, Portadown’s Ronnie McFall collected the ‘Manager of the Month’ award for January, having led his side to six league victories from seven games since the arrival of the New Year. Ards midfielder Martin hunter won the ‘Goal of the Month’ award for his spectacular strike against Institute on the 14th.

The end of January also brought the end of the transfer window. I decided against making any further additions to our squad. Gary Long and John McAuley’s good form was rewarded with call-ups into the Northern Irish Under21 squad.

Sat 07.02.04

Glentoran Vs Coleraine – The Oval.

Northern Irish Premier Division #22.

Glentoran 5-3-2: Elliott Morris – Paul Leeman, Gary Smyth, Chris Walker, Colin Nixon, Mark Glendinning – Gavin Melaugh, Scott Young, Darren Lockhart – Andy Smith, Damien McLaughlin.

Weather: Gale, Wet 8°C

Sean Ward was back in the side in place of Gary Smyth after returning from suspension but unwise we were unchanged from the side that had beaten Limavady United last weekend at The Oval. Coleraine are the side closest to us in the table, just four points behind in fourth place so again it’s vital we collect a victory today if we’re to be in the running for a top three place in nine games time.

There was an improved attendance inside the ground to see third take on fourth and the Glenmen inside the ground were first be on their feet celebrating, when Andy Smith completed his return to the side, latching onto a header from Scott Young to fire past McCormick to give us a 1-0 lead inside twenty minutes.

Former Glenman Rory Hamill punished slack defending just four minutes later to tie the game up at 1-1. A ball down the left found Russell Kelly who beat Chris Walker for pace before crossing low for Hamill to finish. Elliott Morris berated his defence are rightfully so, yet again they were slow to react and yet again it cost the side a goal.

The remainder of the first half was played out as an exchange of chances. We went close through Young, Kelly tested Morris and Andy Smith’s free-kick came back off the bar. Both myself and Coleraine boss Marty Quinn were happy to take a 1-1 scoreline into the changing room at half-time.

The second half was something a disappointment when compared to the first. Scott Young had arguable the best chance when his low shot on the angle found only the side netting. Fatigue seemed to be getting to my side with Andy Smith and Damien McLaughlin both complaining of tiredness. It was also beginning to show in the tackles with several late lunges for both sides earning four yellow cards and numerous fracas on the field.

In the end both sides had to make do with a point, a point that did nothing for either side. With Portadown earning a point at Distillery and in doing so extending their points gap over us to ten, our title chances finally seemed to be over with just eight league games remaining. We have a slim chance of catching second placed Ards, but only if Frankie Parkes side ever stop losing.

Glentoran 1 – Coleraine 1

Goals: Smith 1-0, Hamill 1-1.

Attendance: 1,617

MoM: Rory Hamill (Coleraine) – A goal against his old club earns Hamill the award.

League Table – 22 Games: Portadown (51pts); Ards (45pts); Glentoran (41pts); Coleraine (37pts); Linfield (34pts); Distillery, Ballymena Utd (33pts); Dungannon (30pts); Glenavon (27pts); Limavady Utd, Omagh (25pts); Newry (24pts); Cliftonville, Larne (22pts); Institute (16pts); Crusaders (15pts).

We were again hit hard by injuries during the week. Reserve-team midfielder Andy Kilmartin damaged his shoulder and would be out for two weeks but the real news came with Paul Leeman tearing his groin, an injury that will rule him out of the rest of the season. It’s a disappointment for Leeman, myself and the fans as his recent form has been nothing short of exemplary.

There was however some good news with Andy Smith’s return to fitness signalling a recall into the Northern Ireland squad for their end of March friendly with South Korea.

Sat 14.02.04

Glentoran Vs Lisburn Distillery – The Oval.

Irish Cup 6th Rnd.

Glentoran 5-3-2: Elliott Morris – Jodie Hill, Sean Ward, Chris Walker, Colin Nixon, Mark Glendinning – Gavin Melaugh, Scott Young, Scott Gordon – Andy Smith, Damien McLaughlin.

Weather: Gale, Wet 8°C

With the late withdrawal of Darren Lockhart adding to Paul Leeman’s injury, debuts are handed to reserve-team players Jodie Hill and Scott Gordon. Hill, a twenty-yard-old centre-half was brought to the club earlier in the season from Larne Tech OB whilst Gordon has been around a little longer, having joined from Glenavon at the end of last season where he made four appearances after his release from Southampton.

The 6th Round the Irish Cup sees Distillery come to town for a game that, with title chances looking ever slimmer, is becoming more and more crucial if we’re to make Europe next season. Thankfully we get off to an ideal start with Damien McLaughlin heading us ahead after just six minutes.

As was the case against Coleraine, and impressive first half display is followed up by a lacklustre second half and Distillery find themselves level in the 62nd minute when Sean Brown scores the first goal of his Distillery career to equalise. Elliott Morris is again at fault, seemingly letting the ball through his gloves and we have to make do with just a draw, forcing a replay to Distillery’s New Grosvenor Stadium on Wednesday evening.

Glentoran 1 – Distillery 1

Goals: McLaughlin 1-0, Brown 1-1.

Attendance: 1,629

MoM: John Martin (Distilliery) – The visitors won the midfield battle, mainly thanks to some tough tackling from Martin.

Wed 18.02.04

Lisburn Distillery Vs Glentoran – New Grosvenor Stadium.

Irish Cup 6th Rnd Replay.

Glentoran 5-3-2: Elliott Morris – Jodie Hill, Gary Smyth, Chris Walker, Colin Nixon, Sean Ward – Gavin Melaugh, Scott Young, Scott Gordon – Andy Smith, Damien McLaughlin.

And so whilst the rest of the Division concentrate on League matters we’re over at the New Grosvenor Stadium attempting to settle our Sixth Round Irish Cup tie with Distillery. The two sides are unchanged for the meeting four days early, bar Mark Glendinning who sits out with a knee injury. Gary Smyth is drafted back into the side as a replacement.

Distillery are on the front foot from the off and Sean Brown is unlucky not to add to his tally when his glancing header almost beats Elliott Morris inside his near post after just four minutes. Another Distillery attack causes problems before a Jodie Hill clearance sets Scott Young away on the break. Wee Scotty decided to go alone, when perhaps a ball out wide to Andy Smith would be been the better option. Young’s shot was saved by Distillery ‘keeper Stephen Scullion.

Things began to turn frantic on the half-hour with home side captain Paul Caldwell clattering Andy Smith with a late lunge. A yellow card was instantly brandished with Smith lucky to be able to continue. It seemed to gee Smith up and within seconds of the free-kick being taken, Scott Young had again broken free and this time choose to cross for Damien McLaughlin to stoop and head us into a deserved 1-0 lead.

Distillery looked to get back into the game though struggled in the most part up against some dogged Glentoran defending. However, that was until Sean Brown hit a laser-beam from twenty yards that Morris did well to parry. The loose ball fell to Ross Hegan who turned the ball back towards goal to equalise with ten minutes left in the first period.

Scott Young was having the game of his life and was again on the attack moments after the goal. A good ball out wide to Scott Gordon allowed the former Southampton man to whip in a fine cross and Andy Smith was on hand to restore our lead just sixty seconds after we fell behind. This was turning in a real ‘ding-dong’ cup-tie.

The tough tackles continued after the interval with the home side’s Michael Ferguson earning himself a place in the referee’s notebook following an off the ball clash with Melaugh. The free-kick was slung long into the home box and Andy Smith was unlucky not to convert for his second of the game. Martin brought the ball clear down the left, beating Colin Nixon before hitting a fifty-yard ball to set up a straight running race between Jodie Hill and Conor Downey. Hill appeared to get their first only to slip and first at the vital moment and Ferguson was left to round Morris and equalise for a second time to again tie the game up all-square.

The home side were beginning to enjoy long spells of possession but we were looking just as dangerous the break. McLaughlin and Young had chances to restore our lead, blazing over on each occasion and a far post header from Chris Walker came back off the Distillery’s upright. Things were getting edgy.

Another rash challenge went unpunished by the referee, even though recipient Jodie Hill was forced off the field with Lockhart replacing him. From the resulting free-kick, Walker pumped a long ball down field which was skilfully controlled by Young and played wide to the feet of Gavin Melaugh. His ball found McLaughlin who played in strike partner Smith and shot for his second goal of the evening. The final whistle arrived just ten minutes later and we were through.

Distillery 2 – Glentoran 3

Goals: McLaughlin 1-0, Hegan 1-1, Smith 2-1, Ferguson 2-2, Smith 3-2.

Attendance: 1,590

MoM: Andy Smith (Glentoran) – Two goals and a return to form for the firm fans’ favourite.

[This message was edited by Peacemaker7 on 25 January 2004 at 15:25.]

Sat 21.02.04

Glentoran Vs Newry Town – The Oval.

Northern Irish Premier Division #23.

Glentoran 5-3-2: Elliott Morris – Jodie Hill, Gary Smyth, Mark Glendinning, Colin Nixon, Sean Ward – Gavin Melaugh, Scott Young, Scott Gordon – Andy Smith, Damien McLaughlin.

Weather: Dry, 7°C

“Glentoran returned to league matters today with a home game with relegation threatened Newry Town at ‘The Oval’. Glens boss Stan Ginozola made just one change from the side that beat Lisburn Distillery in the Irish Cup in midweek, with skipper Mark Glendinning replacing Gary Smyth, meaning Sean Ward slotted back into his usual centre-half position. Ollie Ralph’s men were without leading scorer Paul Keenan, missing the game through suspension and centre-half Sean O’Reilly, missing through injury.

Needing three points to keep their slim title hopes alive, the Glenmen needed an a bright start and they got just that when Damien McLaughlin released Andy Smith through the centre. With Newry ‘keeper John Connolly getting ever closer, Smith skilfully lifted the ball over his head for what was one of the most audacious goals seen at ‘The Oval’ for many a season.

Newry were soon looking to hit back, forcing three fines saves for Glens ‘keeper Elliott Morris. One save in particular drew praise from all sides of the ground. McKenna broke clear, attempted to round Morris only for the former Derby County man to whip the ball off his toes to save a certain goal.

Moments before the break, Colin Nixon caught Newry’s captain Robert Casey with a late challenge and was fortunate to stay on the field. It was an incident that ruffled a few feathers on the away bench and manager Ollie Ralph had to be restrained when confronting the fourth official, earning a place in the stands from referee Michael Ross.

The game was wrapped up in the final five minutes with goals from Scotty Young and a trademark header from Sean Ward. Young’s goal completed a well-worked move between Melaugh and Scott Gordon and Ward’s was the result of a 90th minute near post corner delivered by substitute Tommy McCallion.

News at the final-whistle was greeted by the Glens fans. With Ards losing 2-0 at Coleraine and Portadown taking just a point at Omagh, Glentoran clawed the gap between themselves and the leaders down to just eight points. Meanwhile, Ards’ lead in second place was cut to one point.â€

Glentoran 3 – Newry Town 0

Goals: Smith 1-0, Young 2-0, Ward 3-0.

Attendance: 1,689

MoM: Andy Smith (Glentoran) – Another fine performance from our number one striker.

League Table – 23 Games: Portadown (Pld24) (52pts); Ards (45pts); Glentoran (44pts); Coleraine (Pld24) (43pts); Linfield (Pld24) (40pts); Distillery (Pld24), Ballymena Utd (Pld24) (36pts); Dungannon (Pld24), Glenavon (Pld24) (31pts); Limavady Utd (Pld24) (28pts); Omagh (Pld24) (26pts); Larne (Pld24) (25pts); Newry (Pld24) (24pts); Cliftonville (Pld24) (22pts); Crusaders (Pld24) (21pts); Institute (Pld24) (19pts).

A training ground injury to Gary Smyth rules him out for two weeks. Chris Walker will be back in the side to start against Ards.

Wed 25.02.04

Ards Vs Glentoran – Clandeboye Park.

Northern Irish Premier Division #24.

Glentoran 5-3-2: Elliott Morris – Jodie Hill, Stuart Long, Mark Glendinning, Colin Nixon, Sean Ward – Gavin Melaugh, Scott Young, Scott Gordon – Andy Smith, Damien McLaughlin.

Weather: Strong Wind, 7°C

Having beaten Newry Town, the clash away to Ards became one of, if not the biggest game of our season. Our hosts sat in second place, one point ahead of us with six games left. Also, with Portadown having stumbled in recent weeks, this game represented our game in hand. Victory would put us five points behind the league leaders. Though Gary Smyth was missing, I was more than confident in his replacement Chris Walker. With 239 league games experience for the club behind him, there was no better candidate for such an important game.

Ards also had their fair share of injury problems. Centre-half Alistair McCombe sat out with a torn groin, Ronan Scannell is suspended and veteran winger Raymond Campbell is missing with a damaged shoulder.

The players were understandably nervous prior to such a crucial game, though an inspirational team-talk prior to the game from skipper Mark Glendinning created a determined mood inside our dressing room. There were many travelling fans packed inside Clandeboye Park with a good number congregated behind Elliott Morris’ goal. They were in ideal position to witness the early Ards pressure, culminated in Jonny McAdam’s opening goal in the 13th minute.

It was just what we didn’t want. If things stood as they did, our chances of even making the top two places were looking slim. We needed a reply, though the combination of nerves, strong defending and sloppy attacking made sure we were kept at arms length. Andy Smith had what appeared to be a perfectly good goal disallowed when referee David Best suggested he controlled a long ball with his hand before turning to shoot past ‘keeper Robertson.

Ards had much of the first-half play though failed to convert possession into actual scoring chances. Lee Feeney, a firm figure of hate for the Glentoran fans, was looking the most dangerous player for the home side and Morris was called into action twice to keep the former Linfield and Glasgow Rangers striker at bay.

Half-time came and went with no further alteration to the scorecard. We were being totally outplayed, and even a little outclassed. Ards seemed faster to the ball, more comfortable when in possession and much more clinical in front of goal. Damien McLaughlin showed little of his previous form in front of the net when he blasted over from eight yards and even Andy Smith failed to threaten.

Archived