'Le Jeu Avant Tout' - Yesterday's Heroes, Today.

Gino

The game was heading into the final five minutes when a long clearance from Chris Walker found McLaughlin. Looking up, he clipped a fine looking ball in towards Smith, who took the ball down before returning the ball to his strike partner, who had now advanced down towards the by-line. McLaughlin didn’t even need to look up, slamming the ball back across goal. Robertson was beaten. It hurtled towards the back post where Andy Smith’s out-stretched leg diverted into the back of the net. We were level!

The Glentoran supporters behind the goal went wild with a mixture of delight and relief. Just hold on, I thought. A point away at Ards is a fine result and would certainly make the race for second place a little more interesting. Just hold on.

Immediately after the restart, Davy Williamson hit a ball through the centre that pierced our backline. Lee Feeney was on it in a flash and advanced on Elliott Morris. I admit it; I closed my eyes and prayed. The groans from the behind me, and the cheers of delight away to my left let me know what happened next. I looked up to see Morris ordering his troops out as he hammered the ball back up field.

Time appeared to tick by slower and slower. Feeney again tested Morris before a foul on Sean Ward gave us a free kick just inside our own half. I glanced at my watch, three minutes into time added on. If we could just see the next few seconds out, we’d done.

Ward clipped the ball forward, high into the dark Bangor sky. It hung in the air as a clamber of bodies gathered beneath its intended target. From nowhere, Ards goalkeeper Robertson appeared, obviously trying to clear the danger. He’d misjudged his distances and was caught yards out of position. Andy Smith got up in front of him and won the header, it bounced down towards goal. Time again stood still. Andy Kirkpatrick was on the near post, stretching out a leg. It was in vain, he missed it. Smith had a second, we had the win!

The whistle arrived before the game was able to get back underway. I raced onto the field to congratulate my boys, they’d done it. We’d climbed into second place with six games remaining. Now our sights were set on leaders Portadown, five points ahead.

Ards 1 – Glentoran 2

Goals: McAdam 0-1, Smith 1-1, Smith 2-1.

Attendance: 1,542

MoM: Andy Smith (Glentoran) – For a third week running Smith takes the award, though having scored two vital goals, who can argue against him.

League Table – 24 Games: Portadown (52pts); Glentoran (47pts); Ards (45pts); Coleraine (43pts); Linfield (40pts); Distillery (37pts); Ballymena Utd (36pts); Dungannon (32pts); Glenavon (31pts); Limavady Utd (28pts); Omagh (26pts); Larne (25pts); Newry (24pts); Cliftonville (22pts); Crusaders (21pts); Institute (19pts).

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sat 28.02.04

Dungannon Swifts Vs Glentoran – Stangmore Park.

Northern Irish Premier Division #25.

Glentoran 5-3-2: Elliott Morris – Jodie Hill, Stuart Long, Mark Glendinning, Colin Nixon, Sean Ward – Gavin Melaugh, Scott Young, Scott Gordon – Andy Smith, Damien McLaughlin.

Weather: Wet, 10°C

Having worked so hard to claw back slim title hopes with the mammoth victory over Ards, and with games against Linfield and Portadown to come, it was vital we kept our concentration in the ‘lesser’ games, starting with victory away at mid-table Dungannon Swifts.

Yet again, we took excellent travelling support to the small, compact County Tyrone venue. The ‘Glenmen’ in the crowd knew just how important an opening goal was and saw their side enjoy long spells on possession during the opening quarter-hour though fail to turn possession into a 1-0 lead.

That was until the game’s opening goal arrived in the seventeenth minute. Breaking up a Swifts’ attack in midfield, Scott Young exchanged passes with Gavin Melaugh before chipping a delightful ball over the top for Damien McLaughlin to chase. Our leading scorer advanced on Dungannon ‘keeper Pollock before unselfishly knocking the ball square to the unmarked Andy Smith who gobbled up his eighth league goal of the season.

The home side didn’t seem to let the goal disrupt their style of play, namely hitting long balls into the corners for strikers Topley and Coney to chase. The tactic almost paid dividends in the twentieth minute when Topley crossed for Coney who was unfortunate to see his near-post header well saved by Elliott Morris. From Morris’ clearance, possession was again given away and Miguel Chines hit a strike from thirty-yards that cleared Morris’ crossbar by inches.

Kick-started by Dungannon’s attempts on goal, we regained our composure and set about looking for a second goal. McLaughlin and Young combined to present a half-chance to Smith that was dragged wide before skipper Mark Glendinning came up from the back to head a long raking free-kick over the bar from twelve yards. The first-half certainly belonged to us.

The home side came out of the traps stronger for the resumption of the game and deserved got back on level terms just five minutes after the restart. Morris was perhaps at fault when attempting to clear a back pass which Chines collected on the left-wing. His cross into the box was accurate and Coney was there to nod past the ‘keeper to tie the game up at 1-1.

Miguel Chines collected a yellow card in the 53rd minute after a late challenge on Young brought out the referee’s notebook. Young was yet again putting up a brave solo performance in the middle and thankfully struggled to his feet to return to the game.

The Glentoran fans behind our goal willed their men forward. I contemplated making a substitution, what with Andy Smith limping around having taken the full force of a late Alex Graham challenge. I’d even got Tommy McCallion stripped and ready to come on only for Smith to insist he was fine to continue.

He proved just why he was so vital to the Glenmen’s cause with what would go on to be the match-winning goal in the 67th minute. Again it came from midfield, with Young and McLaughlin combining to release the Northern Ireland international. Smith remained calming, rounding the advancing goalkeeper and slotting the ball into the net to restore our lead.

It was a lead we held until referee Leslie Irvine’s final whistle. Back inside the changing rooms, a Dungannon Swifts official stuck his head around the door to tell us Ards had been beaten again, this time 2-1 away at struggling Larne. We’d opened up a five point gap for second place with five games remaining, but more importantly, we were just five behind leaders Portadown with a clash with the leaders to come in two weeks time at ‘The Oval’.

Dungannon Swifts 1 – Glentoran 2

Goals: Smith 1-0, Coney 1-1, Smith 2-1.

Attendance: 1,530

MoM: Andy Smith (Glentoran) – Yet again Andy Smith is a worthy recipient of the ward having taken his tally to nine in thirteen league starts.

League Table – 25 Games: Portadown (55pts); Glentoran (50pts); Ards (45pts); Coleraine, Linfield (43pts); Ballymena Utd (39pts); Distillery (37pts); Dungannon (32pts); Limavady Utd, Glenavon (31pts); Larne (28pts); Omagh (26pts); Cliftonville (25pts); Newry (24pts); Institute (22pts); Crusaders (21pts).

The February awards made interesting reading with the Irish Football Association deciding that leading Glentoran to three wins in four league games was worthy of their ‘Manager of the Month’ award. I was delighted, for myself and the players but the hard work was still to come. With March comprising games both the Irish Cup Quarter-Final tie with Coleraine and the all-important clash with Portadown, this was the one time I didn’t want the ‘Manager of the Month’ curse to strike.

The monthly awards also recognised Andy Smith’s return to form, ranking his two goals against Dungannon as the best two of the month. His delicate chip took the award, whilst his finish to round off a sterling team move came in second.

The Northern Irish County Antrim Shield final took place on Tuesday evening at Windsor Park, with Linfield seeing off First Division side Ballyclare Comrades by one goal to nil. Ballyclare had of course been the side to end our interest in the competition we won last season, with a missed penalty from Andy Smith seeing the home side through to the 2nd Round.

Sat 06.03.04

Coleraine Vs Glentoran – Coleraine Showgrounds.

Irish Cup Qtr Final.

Glentoran 5-3-2: Elliott Morris – Jodie Hill, Stuart Long, Mark Glendinning, Colin Nixon, Sean Ward – Darren Armour, Scott Young, Darren Lockhart – Andy Smith, Tommy McCallion.

Weather: Dry, 9°C

“It was a day when, for once, everything went right for Glentoran. Today’s Irish Cup Quarter-Final tie with fourth-placed Coleraine was simply one in a long line of crucial games for Stan Ginozola’s men as the seasons comes to a climax, but once again their passionate, commitment to the cause and will to win shone through.

With injury and illness rife inside the Glentoran camp, Ginozola was enforced into three changes from the side that beat Dungannon Swifts last weekend to cut the gap to just five points behind leaders Portadown. Scott Young, Gavin Melaugh and Damien McLaughlin were all out with Darren Lockhart, Darren Armour and Tommy McCallion all making returns to the starting eleven. It was somewhat apt that Lockhart and McCallion were responsible for the goals that saw Glentoran through.

The game’s opening goal arrived shortly after the half-hour mark after prolonged Glentoran pressure. Andy Smith and Darren Lockhart had already had chances to open the scoring before McCallion pounced to make it 1-0. It was a fine move involved four Glenmen with Smith knocking down a Scott Gordon cross into McCallion’s path. A fine strike inside the near-post made it fourteen for the season for the summer signing.

One-nil became two-nil three minutes into the second half with Darren Lockhart racing clear to score a goal not too dissimilar to the effort that won Andy Smith last month’s ‘Goal of the Month’ award. Leaving Coleraine defender Brian Burns in his wake, he skilfully lofted the ball up and over goalkeeper Laurence McCormick to net just his second goal of the campaign.

If it was ever in doubt at 2-0, the tie was wrapped up and bagged six minutes later with McCallion laying claim to an extended spell in the first-team, collecting his second of the afternoon. Andy Smith was again provider, playing in his strike-partner who showed a real touch of class to bend the ball round McCormick and into the top right-hand corner.

Not even an 85th minute penalty could get Coleraine onto the scoresheet with Elliott Morris making a fine double save to maintain his side’s three goal lead. With the semi-final drawing taking places moments after the final whistle, Ginozola’s men have a fifth meeting with Dungannon Swifts to look forward to on Friday 2nd April.

Coleraine 0 – Glentoran 3

Goals: McCallion 1-0, Lockhart 2-0, McCallion 3-0.

Attendance: 1,570

MoM: Tommy McCallion (Glentoran) – The returning striker lays claim for a permanent place in the starting line-up with his two goals starting and finishing the scoring to see us through the semi-finals.

It’s another week where injuries have most of the headlines around the club. Chris Walker collects a nasty gash to the head in Tuesday’s session and reserve-team players Tim McCann and Richard Stansfield both sit out Jimmy Brown’s side’s clash with Newry Town.

Sat 13.03.04

Larne Vs Glentoran – Inver Park.

Northern Irish Premier Division #26.

Glentoran 5-3-2: [/i]Elliott Morris – Jodie Hill, Gary Smyth, Mark Glendinning, Colin Nixon, Sean Ward – Gavin Melaugh, Scott Young, Darren Lockhart – Andy Smith, Tommy McCallion.[/i]

Weather: Dry, 14°C

Gary Smyth is back in the line up for the trip to mid-table Larne, a side whose fortunes have improved in recent weeks as they look to starve off relegation into the First Division.

With just four games remaining things are really hotting up in the Premier Division, where Portadown, ourselves, Ards, Linfield and even Coleraine still have hopes of taking the title. If results go our way today we can be two points behind the leaders come tea time tonight. With three games remaining and Portadown slumping, I’d fancy our chances of taking the title. But enough of that talk for now. We need to start by beating Larne.

The first-half is a difficult period of play, where even though with have the lion’s shares of possession and even chances, goals are a little harder to come by. Tommy McCallion almost gives us the lead with a header from a left-wing corner before almost scoring an own goal when his back header appears to elude Morris before Colin Nixon hacks off the line. The last thing we need are for nerves to set in at the business end of the table, especially when we’re the underdogs.

Larne have chances for themselves, with Robbie Quinn forcing Morris into a smart save down at his near post. Still, we go in at the break all-square at one-one.

I’m told at half-time the results from around the league though I keep it from the players. Though Ards are beating Limavady United, Portadown are two goals down at home to Crusaders!

Back out for the second half and our determination for a win continues. Andy Smith scores, setting off the ‘Andy Smith Show’, culminating in a twelve minute hat-trick to give us a vital three goal victory. With news filtering through that despite fighting back Portadown were beaten 4-2 at home to Crusaders and Ards only taking a point from their home clash with Limavady United, things are looking pretty damn good as we head into the final four games of the year.

Larne 0 – Glentoran 3

Goals: Smith 1-0, Smith 2-0, Smith 3-0.

Attendance: 1,534

MoM: Andy Smith (Glentoran) – Who else?.

League Table – 26 Games: Portadown (55pts); Glentoran (53pts); Ards, Linfield (46pts); Coleraine (43pts); Ballymena Utd (39pts); Distillery (37pts); Dungannon (35pts); Limavady Utd (32pts); Glenavon (31pts); Cliftonville, Larne (28pts); Newry (27pts); Omagh (26pts); Institute (25pts); Crusaders (24pts).

Cheers guys, appreciated!!

UTV – Sports View

JF: “Hello, I’m John Ford and you’re watching Sports View on UTV, home of the Northern Irish Football League. Now tomorrow’s clash between Portadown and Glentoran is being billed by many as the biggest league game Irish football has seen I over five years. Joining me on the sofa today is Stan Ginozola, the man behind Glentoran’s recent run of form that has seen them win five league games on the bounce to keep alive their title hopes. Good evening, Stan.â€

SG: “Hello again, John.â€

JF: “I’m sure the nerves are starting to build now, Stan.â€

SG: “It’s not really nerves, as we’re the underdogs. I’d same more butterflies, a mixture of nerves, anticipation and excitement. The players have no reason to be nervous, Portadown have the title to lose and we’ll be delighted to take it from them.â€

JF: “Now it’s expected to be a near sell-out at ‘The Oval’ tomorrow, it’s the famous old Portadown-Glentoran rivalry with added spice. How have you and your players been preparing for the game?â€

SG: “Of course, it’s easy to say it’s ‘just another game’ but it’s not. The title is on the line and with the Irish Cup semi-final with Dungannon to come, once again its exciting times at the football club. The players are all like myself, they’re looking forward to it.â€

JF: “Andy Smith has been in excellent form in recent weeks, scoring eight in the last four league games. If rumours are to be believed then there is a big money to move to Southampton lined up in the summer. Care to add anything to the story?â€

SG: “Not at all John, because they are just that, rumours. Southampton made a derisory offer earlier in the season that was rejected out of the door and there has been no contact between the parties since. Andy Smith is a Glentoran player and we’re currently entering negotiations to extend his current deal.â€

JF: “Things appear to be improving on the injury front with just Paul Leeman unavailable for Saturday’s game.â€

SG: “That’s right John. Paul will be out for sometime but discounting Paul I have a full squad to choose from. Chris Walker missed out last week so he’ll be looking for a start and even young Stuart Long has come back into contention in recent weeks for it’s healthy competition for the boys who are in possession of the first-team shirt.â€

JF: “Stan, all the best on Saturday.â€

SG: “Thanks John.â€

Sat 20.03.04

Glentoran Vs Portadown – The Oval.

Northern Irish Premier Division #27.

Glentoran 5-3-2: Elliott Morris – Jodie Hill, Gary Smyth, Mark Glendinning, Colin Nixon, Sean Ward – Gavin Melaugh, Scott Young, Darren Lockhart – Andy Smith, Tommy McCallion.

Weather: Wet, 17°C

The game we had all been waiting for brought an improved attendance at ‘The Oval, with the travelling Portadown fans increasing the numbers through the turnstiles. There were also a large number of home fans inside the ground, making some a cauldron-type atmosphere as the players made their way out onto the wet surface.

Whilst we were enjoying the best form of all the sides in the league, Portadown were slumping as they looked to close in on just their fifth title victory in the club’s history. Boss Ronnie McFall had been in the papers throughout the week insisting nerves weren’t to be blame but just one league win in five tells its own story.

The game started slowly with neither side looking to through too much forward. A rare foray into the area gave Colin Nixon the chance to open the scoring but he lacked composure in shooting wide before Tommy McCallion’s header from a right-wing corner was cleared away from danger. Neither side were on top, with Portadown looking dangerous on the break.

The game’s opening goal came on the half-hour. A dreadful ball from Tony Smith gifted the possession to left-winger Scott Gordon whose quick thinking set McCallion free on goal. The in-form striker held off a challenge from former Manchester United trainee Pat McGibbon before coolly shooting past Millar to give us a 1-0 lead!

The lead was one we took into the changing rooms at the break, with my message to the players a simple one. “Don’t lose concentration!â€

Back out onto the field, we didn’t have to wait long before Portadown came in search of a much needed equaliser. The league’s leading Gary Hamilton showed just why he’s so highly rated when he shook off a challenge from Ward before Morris saved and a back post header from Smith almost crept in. However, it would be us who had the ball in the net to increase our lead to two. A poor goalkeeper from James Millar was gathered by Gordon who exchanged passes with McCallion before crossing for Smith to side foot into the bottom left-hand corner. 2-0!! The Glentoran fans were delirious!

Portadown again attacked with urgency though nerves and three fine saves from Morris kept them out. A ball forward from Glendinning was flicked on into the area, Smith skipped through only to be flattered by ‘keeper Millar. No red-card, just a penalty. Sean Ward steps up, into the bottom corner! 3-0!!! We’re in dream world!

Portadown are shell-shocked and their defence left in tatters. Scott Young has a run, he beats McGibbon for pace. Shoots low, its 4-0!!!! Again, poor play at the back allows Smith a goal-scoring opportunity. Again he’s brought down and McCallion places the ball on the spot, he shoots, Millar goes the wrong way. It’s five!!!!!

We didn’t need to check the league table at the end of the game. We knew we were on top. Three games remaining and we held a one point lead over our opponents Portadown. With tough games against Cliftonville, Institute and of course the ‘Big Two’ clash with Linfield, I could only hope Portadown’s confidence had taken too big a beating.

Glentoran 5 – Portadown 0

Goals: McCallion 1-0, Smith 2-0, Ward pen 3-0, Young 4-0, McCallion pen 5-0.

Attendance: 2,384

MoM: Scott Young (Glentoran) – Coming on at half-time, Scott Young was at the heart of all four second half goals.

League Table – 27 Games: Glentoran (56pts); Portadown (55pts); Ards (49pts); Linfield (46pts); Coleraine (45pts); Ballymena Utd (39pts); Dungannon, Distillery (38pts); Limavady Utd (35pts); Glenavon (32pts); Cliftonville (29pts); Larne (28pts); Newry, Omagh (27pts); Institute (26pts); Crusaders (24pts).

Following our recent hectic schedule, having the following Saturday free of games was something of a godsend. We were back in action on Tuesday evening, the 30th of March, with a home clash with arch-rivals Cliftonville. Marty Tabb’s side were in real danger of slipping into the relegation zone and as a result, Tabb’s job was on the line.

Tues 30.03.04

Glentoran Vs Cliftonville – The Oval.

Northern Irish Premier Division #28.

Glentoran 5-3-2: Elliott Morris – Jodie Hill, Gary Smyth, Mark Glendinning, Colin Nixon, Sean Ward – Gavin Melaugh, Scott Young, Darren Lockhart – Andy Smith, Tommy McCallion.

Weather: Wet, 14°C

“The highest league crowd of the season was in attendance at ‘The Oval’ as Glentoran took on arch-rivals Cliftonville with both sides having a different agenda. For the Glenmen, victory was crucial in the bid to secure their second consecutive title whilst Belfast rivals Cliftonville were simply looking to scramble enough points to maintain their Premier Division status. With manager Marty Tabb’s job on the line, this was one the men from Solitude desperately wanted to win.

Stan Ginozola had the relative pleasure of having a full strength squad to choose from, bar Paul Leeman who has of course missed much of the last two months. On their last outing the men from ‘The Oval’ stuck five goals past season-long leaders Portadown to clamber to the top of the league with three league games remaining. Ginozola spoke out publicly in midweek, praising his players for all their hard work, and rightly so, six consecutive league wins have breathed a new air of life into the club.

And so to the game. As expected, Glentoran enjoyed large spells of possession inside the opening ten minutes, taking the game to their arch-rivals. Credit where credit is due, Cliftonville put up a good fight, even some would say, having the better chances with Morris called into save twice from Gilmore and then Quigley.

Glentoran took the lead in the 24th minute when Andy Smith started and finished a move to add to his ever-increasing tally. A long ball from Smith found Gordon, who advanced on the away area before crossing for Smith who had continued his run to head past Straney. The home fans didn’t have to wait long for the second either, with Smith following up McCallion’s saved effort to shoot his second of the evening.

Cliftonville looked like a side who know their fate and this reporter can only see their season ending in relegation. The Glenmen added a third just seconds into the third period. Again Smith was the scorer, robbing Daly before shooting high into the back of the Cliftonville net. But still their scoring wasn’t over, Tommy McCallion’s hard work all evening was rewarded when Young laid on his seventeenth of the season.

With Portadown and the rest of the league not playing until tomorrow night, this result will make Ginozola’s wait a little easier. One thing is for sure, the Portadown results may not even become an issue if Glentoran keep up this relentless football. Victories over Linfield and Institute and the title is theirs."

Glentoran 4 – Cliftonville 0

Goals: Smith 1-0, Smith 2-0, Smith 3-0, McCallion 4-0.

Attendance: 3,281

MoM: Andy Smith (Glentoran) – Another game and more goals for Smith whose hat-trick takes his tally to an astonishing sixteen goals in sixteen league starts in a season hampered by injury.

On Wednesday evening I was in Bangor to see Ards take on Portadown in many thought earlier in the season would be the title-deciding clash. Tony Smith gave Portadown the lead after just two minutes though a Martin Hunter strike just after the hour tied the game up at 1-1. However, Ards’ slim hopes of taking the title were dashed when late goals from Vinny Arkins and Ciaran McKinney gave Portadown the win, cutting our late back to one solitary point going into the penultimate game of the season.

League Table – 28 Games: Glentoran (59pts); Portadown (58pts); Linfield (50pts); Ards (49pts); Coleraine (46pts); Dungannon (41pts); Ballymena Utd (40pts); Limavady Utd, Distillery (38pts); Glenavon (33pts); Newty (30pts); Institute (29pts); Cliftonville (29pts); Larne (28pts); Omagh (27pts); Crusaders (24pts).

For the second month running our good form on the field gave me the ‘Manager of the Month’ award, this time for March. We again enjoyed recognition in the goalscoring awards with Tommy McCallion’s strike opening goal against Portadown taking the ‘Goal of the Month’ equivalent.

Fri 02.04.04

Glentoran Vs Dungannon Swifts – Windsor Park.

Irish Cup Semi Final.

Glentoran 5-3-2: Elliott Morris – Jodie Hill, Colin Walker, Mark Glendinning, Colin Nixon, Sean Ward – Darren Armour, Scott Gordon, Darren Lockhart – Damien McLaughlin, Tommy McCallion.

Weather: Wet, 19°C

“Windsor Park, home of arch-rivals Linfield, provided the ‘neutral’ venue for the Irish Cup Semi Final between Glentoran and Dungannon Swifts on Friday evening. The Glenmen looking to follow up last season’s treble with a double with league and Irish Cup success, they were dealt a harsh blow with number one marksman Andy Smith picking up a knock to his neck in training and cruelly forced out of the game. It was a mark of Glentoran’s attacking strength when twenty-seven goal striker Damien McLaughlin was recalled from the bench for a surprise start.

A large number of supporters from both teams were in attendance with Dungannon to add the Irish Cup to last season’s First Division title. The semi final matches Dungannon’s furthest progression in the competition, matching their run in the 1987-88 season which was ended with a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Glentoran. How Joe McAree’s men would have loved a reserve of that scoreline tonight.

The scoring got underway in just the sixth minute when a sweeping move taking in half the field was finished by Darren Armour for his first of the season. It was a goal right out of the coaching manual, with a fine strike eluding Pollock inside his near post.

Glentoran continued to dominate and were unfortunate not to go further ahead when Tommy McCallion’s strike came back off the Dungannon crossbar. He wasn’t to be denied much longer and added his name to the scoresheet on thirteen minutes. Lockhart found Young, Young crossed for Armour and his knock down was neatly finished by Glentoran’s summer signing from Derry City.

Stan Ginozola’s men were rampant and a third was not long in coming. Swifts failed to clear a long ball into the area and Damien McLaughlin was on hand to shoot the rebound back past Pollock from twenty-five yards. The ball was in the Dungannon net for a fourth time three minutes later but the lineman’s flag ruled Tommy McCallion’s effort out.

Dungannon were back in the tie on the hour mark when a flick-on from Berry found Niall Fleming free in the area. Elliott Morris could do nothing as his low strike beat him inside his near post. Glentoran were now living on the edge and Fleming again had the chance to score. His shot was blocked by Morris and in the resulting melee; Chris Walker somehow managed to scoop the ball up and away from danger.

Try as they might, the Swifts couldn’t find a further way back into the game and Glentoran’s defence held firm, maintaining their two-goal lead. Referee John Ferry brought the game to a close shortly after nine-thirty p.m. and the Glenmen’s double hopes continued. All thoughts now turn to next Saturday when Glentoran return to Windsor Park for the eagerly anticipated clash with Linfield."

Glentoran 3 – Dungannon Swifts 1

Goals: Armour 1-0, McCallion 2-0, McLaughlin 3-0, Fleming 3-1.

Attendance: 2,863

MoM: Darren Armour (Glentoran) – An early goal appeared to give Armour plenty of confidence to get forward and he also had a hand in the two later goals.

On Saturday I’m at ‘The Oval’ to watch the second semi final between First Division sides Ballinamallard United and the competition inaugural winners Moyola Park. In an exciting game, Moyola Park have all the chances but lose out to two strikes from Ballinamallard’s Gary Bonner. We will not meet Ballinamallard United in the Irish Cup Final at Windsor Park on Saturday 1st May 2003.

Sat 10.04.04

Linfield Vs Glentoran – Windsor Park.

Northern Irish Premier Division #29.

Weather: Wet, 21°C

“When Stan Ginozola took charge of Glentoran back in July, he demanded three things from his players, passion, commitment to the cause and goals. Today, his side took on arch-rivals Linfield in the ‘Big Two’ clash at Windsor Park knowing two victories from their final two games would give Glentoran their second title victory in two seasons.

Linfield caretaker-boss Brian McLaughlin spoke openly during the week about how his side would ‘love’ to stop the Glenmen from taking the title, and two rash challenges inside sixty seconds left no doubt in the minds of those watching just what was the order of the day. However, Ginozola’s men weren’t be kept quiet for too long. There’s a reason why they’re second top scorers in the division.

Two minutes in, an early free-kick was cleared by Chris Walker and Scott Young gathered in midfield. Looking up, he spotted the advancing McCallion and found him accurately. McCallion exchanged passes with Andy Smith and fairly leathered the return ball past goalkeeper Alan Mannus to give his side a dream start.

Unfortunately for the men from ‘The Oval’, it wasn’t to last. Paul Dalglish hit a fine ball down the right wing for Neill to chase. Chris Walker looked to challenge but could only just keep pace as the winger hit the by-line. His cross was good and Glenn Ferguson stooped to head an equaliser to silence the partying away fans behind the goal. His celebrations, kissing his Linfield badge and punching the air riled several Glentoran fans who were escorted from the ground. It was a sign of things to come.

Already fraught tensions were made worse with on-field events. Rhodri Thomas went in hard on Andy Smith leaving the Northern Ireland international in a heap just inside the Linfield half. Obviously upset at the treatment of his team-mate, Tommy McCallion steamed in and grabbed Thomas by the collar, sparking an eighteen man brawl that took nearly four minutes to clear. Four men received yellow cards for their troubles, two for each side, and the fighting continued around the ground where there was already a high police presence.

The rest of the first half remained goalless though it was not without chances. Back on his feet, Smith was unfortunate not to score when his header came back off the bar and Elliott Morris clawed what seemed a certain goal back off the line when Ferguson got up to win a header.

Glentoran regained their lead eight minutes into the second period with McCallion again the goalscorer. A long ball over the top could only be flicked on by Rhodri Thomas when attempting to clear. McCallion raced clear and with a trademark finish bent the ball out and around Mannus for a second of the afternoon.

It was a lead that Glentoran should have held until the final whistle but Linfield were level just after the hour. A throw-in from Dalglish found Michael Gault’s head which in turn found the back of the net. It was the last thing the Glenmen needed.

Late chances for Smith and McCallion were missed and Stan Ginozola eventually had to make do with a point, though only after on-field clashes between rival supporters were dispersed. Elsewhere, news from the vital game at Portadown came back disappointing for the Glenmen. Their rivals had beaten Newry Town 1-0 and were back on top of the Premier Division with a one-point lead with one to play."

Linfield 2 – Glentoran 2

Goals: McCallion 1-0, Ferguson 1-1, McCallion 2-1, Gault 2-2.

Attendance: 4,635

MoM: Tommy McCallion (Glentoran) – Having scored two goals, McCallion deserved to be on the winning side but it was just not to be.

League Table – 29 Games: Portadown (61pts); Glentoran (60pts); Linfield (51pts); Ards (50pts); Coleraine (49pts); Ballymena Utd (43pts); Dungannon (42pts); Limavady Utd (41pts); Distillery (38pts); Glenavon (36pts); Institute (32pts); Newry (30pts); Cliftonville (29pts); Larne (28pts); Omagh (27pts)

• 3 weeks later...

The First Division came to a close on Saturday afternoon with Bangor returning to the Premier Division as champions. Lurgan Celtic’s last day victory over Ballinamallard United means they’ll go into the Relegation Playoff Final to meet the bottom placed side from the Premier Division. Belfast side Brantwood finish rock bottom meaning they’ll start next season in the Second Division.

Mon 19.04.04

Glentoran Vs Institute – The Oval.

Northern Irish Premier Division #30.

2.50pm – The Oval (Glentoran vs. Institute)

KL: “Hello and welcome to Belfast FM’s Football Show, I’m Kenny Leeman and I’m joined by my co-colleague Michael Stewart. It’s Bank Holiday, a day of rest for many around the United Kingdom, but they’ll be no relaxing around the Northern Irish Premier Division as today is the final day, the day when everything is settled. By tonight we’ll know just who has won the title and who has to settle for second place, we’ll also know who goes down, who stays up and who has to risk it all in the Relegation Playoffs.

MS: “And what a day have in store for you today. As always we’ll have reporters at every Premier Division ground ready to bring you up-to-the-minute news regarding your side. We also have full-match commentary of Glentoran’s clash with Institute where the right results can give Glentoran their second consecutive title, an achievement that looked nigh on impossible just two months ago.

KL: “Now on Saturday I caught up with Stan Ginozola, manager of Glentoran who told us just how preparations going into this weekend have been going.

SG: “Well it’s come down to the final weekend and it can still go either way which shows just how competitive the season has been. If we win, which I’m hoping we do, then we’ll be anxious of the Portadown result but if we only draw or even lose, then I’m expecting the title to end up at Shamrock Park by tea time. Let’s be honest, Portadown are a tremendous side but Larne will be fighting for their Premier Division status. I’d love to be a neutral sat at home listening to the results coming in because it’s going to be a real rollercoaster ride.

KL: “Institute’s season is over having staved off any threat of relegation with last Saturday’s comfortable victory over Crusaders. You must be confident of victory.

SG: “Well I am confident of victory, I always believe in my lads. You say Institute have little to play for, they have the chance to stop us from winning the title. That’s motivation enough. Paul Hegarty has got a good young side together, they play solid, organised football and I’m sure they’ll have a brighter year next season.

KL: “Do you have any injury problems ahead of the game?

SG: “Thankfully not, with the exception of Leeper [Paul Leeman] who’s been out for the last few months anyway. Gary Smyth and Stuart Long will both be available for selection and Andy Smith has come through a few training sessions this week without problem so he’ll be involved. Everything is going as well as it could be Kenny.

• 3 weeks later...

2.59pm – The Oval (Glentoran vs. Institute)

KL: “Welcome back to The Oval where the two sets of players from Glentoran and Institute are just about making their way out onto the field. There’s a tremendous atmosphere here, with the locals baying for a second consecutive championship. It’s not as though they don’t deserve it either, thirteen games unbeaten have clawed Stan Ginozola’s men back into contention and they go into today’s game knowing victory here and defeat for Portadown away at Larne will mean the title stays in East Belfast.

MS: “Just listen to that roar from the Glenmen inside ‘The Oval’, Kenny. This is what Irish League football is all about. We’ll be over to Inver Park in just a moment, where Gary Rogers is watching Portadown vs. Larne. Gary, its over to you.

3.00pm – Inver Park (Larne vs. Portadown)

GR: “Thanks Michael. The sides have just come out onto the field. There’s a large number of Portadown fans in the far corner hoping fortunes shine on their side today. They’ve done all the maths. A win will give them the title. A draw and a draw or defeat for the Glenmen will give them the title. But it’s not even that straight forward. Larne will want to have a say in proceedings themselves. The home side still need three points to be assured of their Premier Division status next season.

3.00pm – The Oval (Glentoran 0 – Institute 0)

KL: “Welcome back to ‘The Oval,’ where Tommy McCallion and Andy Smith are just about just about the get this game underway. Stan Ginozola is on the touchline in his trademark Glentoran tracksuit. Just imagine how he’ll be feeling right now. His first season in Irish Football and he’s one game away from taking the title.

MS: “Glentoran are kicking their favoured way Kenny, towards the home fans in the first half so they have the backing of all three sides of Glens fans behind them in the second. Whilst I think it’ll take more than that to give Glentoran the title, on days like these, every little thing can help.

3.03pm – The Oval (Glentoran 0 – Institute 0)

KL: “… and the loose ball is flicked behind for a corner by Institute defender Ricky Dunlop, Glentoran’s early pressure causing Institute problems here. Tommy McCallion will take it… he looks up and chips the ball towards the near post but it’s a poor one… he’ll get second chance. He finds Scott Gordon now on the edge of the area but Steven Parkhouse is in front of him. Gordon, plays the ball back to McCallion, who looks up and checks and hits a lovely ball into the box. Gordon flicks on, it’ll come to Scott YOUNG!!!! And Glentoran have taken an early lead! McCallion’s ball in, flicked on by Gordon and there was ‘Wee Scotty’ Young, on hand to head what could turn out to be a vital goal for his side!

MS: “I thought the chance was gone when McCallion’s corner was cleared but he managed to get it back in and I must say what a piece of bravery from Scottie Gordon there. He threw himself in where it hurts and Scott Young did exactly what was required in getting in front of his marker and powering a header past Declan Devine. What a start to the afternoon!â€

3.05pm – The Oval (Glentoran 1 – Institute 0)

KL: “The early goal appears to have settled Glentoran, who look to come forward through Gavin Melaugh here. Melaugh looks up and finds goalscorer Scott Young just inside the Glens half… Young takes the ball under control before progressing to find Tommy McCallion… The Institute defence are backing off here and McCallion has time and space to come forward, thirty yards out now… McCallion, plays a short ball back to Young… who’s clipped a fine ball over the top of ‘Stute player/boss Hegarty for Smith to chase… He’s into the area, out comes Devine… he’s squared it… SCOTT YOUNG!!! It’s 2-0 inside five minutes! It might be early but if it stays like this, both here and at Inver Park, Glentoran have the title!

MS: “Well, well, well. What a move. Glentoran are tearing Institute to shreds here. Scott Young has set off like a house on fire. McCallion, Young and Smith were all involved in the build-up. Young’s ball over the top was precise and he continued his run to receive Smith’s unselfish cross to punish slack marking and grab his second of the afternoon. How are things at Inver Park, Gary? Larne vs. Portadown.

3.06pm – Inver Park (Larne 0 – Portadown 0)

GR: “Well it’s still goalless here but early Portadown pressure has lead to a couple of chances, and another here and resulted in a right-wing corner which Richard Clarke will take… Clarke… it’s a looping one, John Convery’s there!!! HE’S SCORED!!!! Portadown lead 1-0!!! The pendulum has swung back in Portadown’s favour!

Thanks for reading nerf.

3.07pm – The Oval (Glentoran 2 – Institute 0)

KL: “I told you it’d be some afternoon folks. We’re only six minutes in and already I’m speechless. Let’s get things straight. If the scores stay the same until the full-time whistle, with both teams leading, it’s Portadown’s title.

MS: “News of Portadown’s goal is just filtering through to the fans here at ‘The Oval’ and again the tension is turned up a notch.

KL: “…but back on the field Glentoran are looking to make it three right away with Andy Smith… He’s cut in from the right… shoots low… great save Declan Devine!

MS: “Institute are being pulled apart here by Stan Ginozola’s men with the ‘Glenmen’ already looking good for their two goal lead.

KL: “I’m hearing news of another goal back at Inver Park. Back to you Gary.

3.08pm – Inver Park (Larne 0 – Portadown 1)

GR: “And it’s Larne’s Kieran O’Connor who has scored it!! A fine cross field ball from full-back Hughes caught the Portadown defence napping and Adam Hamilton’s flick on found Sean Armstrong on the edge of the area. Armstorng turned and hit a snapshot which James Millar failed to hold and the young midfielder was on hand to follow up to tie the game at 1-1!!! It’s game on here!

3.08pm – The Oval (Glentoran 2 – Institute 0)

KL: “So the pendulum swings back in Glentoran’s favour. O’Connor’s goal has lifted the ‘Glenmen’ back on top of the live league table meaning again if things stay like this at full-time then they’ll have the championship but after this start, I can’t see it staying like this throughout the next eighty-four minutes.

MS: “Again news of the goal has been received by the Glens’ supporters and just listen to their delight. It looks as though a party has broken out behind Declan Devine’s goal.

3.12pm – The Oval (Glentoran 2 – Institute 0)

KL: “…Mark Glendinning does well there, taking the ball down and hitting a fine ball to Andy Smith who has broken away from his marker… He’s in on Devine here… SMITH!!! Great save Devine… it’s loose… Smith with the follow-up… another save from Devine! The Institute ‘keeper kept his side in the game there.

MS: “What a save! What a save! Glendinning’s ball appeared in hang in the air and Smith’s strength took him away from Ricky Dunlop. He hit the ball on the half volley and Devine did superbly well to save, the ball came loose and Smith had another go and again Devine got his hand to it, and even managed to hold it!

3.18pm – The Oval (Glentoran 2 – Institute 0)

KL: “Institute are beginning to come back into the game here as Ryan Semple hits a long free-kick forward from the back. It’s aimed for Ryan Coyle at the back post… Glendinning’s missed it… COYLE!!! It’s found the bottom corner and it’s 2-1!!

3.21pm – The Oval (Glentoran 2 – Institute 1)

MS: “…it just appears that the Glentoran back line are taking things a little too easily and they were made to pay there with Coyle’s header making it 2-1. If I know Stan Ginozola he’ll be going berserk down there on the touchline…

KL: “I’ll just break off for this Michael, with McCready breaking down the left for Institute. He’s beaten Chris Walker… cross into the area… everyone’s missed it… IT’S COYLE AGAIN!!! He’s done again, Institute have equalised and ‘The Oval’ falls silent. Are they early dreams turning into a nightmare here?

MS: “Just look at Stan Ginozola, Kenny. I’d only just said he’d be going mad after the first went in but that was even worse. Chris Walker was nowhere and when the cross came in everybody left it alone. Elliott Morris could do nothing but it was a poor effort from the Glens defence. I’m sure I don’t need to tell you that if it stays like this then its Portadown’s title! Let’s cross back over to Gary Rogers at Inver Park.

3.19pm – Inver Park (Larne 1 – Portadown 1)

GR: “Though there is no change in the scoreline, both sides have had chances that on another day with a little less at stake, may well have been finished. Vinny Arkins went close for Portadown before Larne scorer O’Connor almost scored a second only to see his back post header come back off the Portadown crossbar. It’s still Larne 1, Portadown 1.

3.33pm – The Oval (Glentoran 2 – Institute 2)

KL: “…as Chris Walker sweeps up well for Glentoran. Glentoran have managed to weather to Institute storm I’d say Michael, and they can now look to get back into the lead.

MS: “I’d have to agree with you, Kenny. Since their equaliser, Institute have offered little in terms of further attacking options. And Glentoran have another chance…

KL: “Tommy McCallion is breaking from deep… he’s found Melaugh on the right-wing… the cross comes in… SMITH! Another fine save from Devine!

MS: “There’s been another goal at Inver Park, Kenny. Gary Rogers…

• 4 weeks later...

3.33pm – Inver Park (Larne 1 – Portadown 1)

GR: “And it’s Portadown’s Vinny Arkins who has scored it! A long ball forward from full-back Hugh Dickson set the former Notts County man away through the centre. He forced his way past Larne skipper Alan Murphy and shot low into the bottom corner to make it 2-1 Portadown!!

3.34pm – The Oval (Glentoran 2 – Institute 2)

KL: “That dreadful bit of news means that Portadown’s lead over Glentoran becomes even stronger. Glentoran need to somehow find a win and hope Larne can fight back at Inver Park. With ten minutes left in the first-half, it won’t be easy… though Gavin Melaugh can change that here… He’s in on Devine… what a superb saving tackle from Institute skipper Thomas Wray! Melaugh looked certain to restore the Glenmen’s lead then.

3.45pm – The Oval (Glentoran 2 – Institute 2)

KL: “There goes David Malcolm’s whistle, signalling the end of the opening period here at ‘The Oval’. It’s certainly been an action packed forty-five minutes though perhaps not the way the Glens fans had been hoping for. With the whistle also having brought the end to the first half at Inver Park, the Glentoran players will soon be being informed of the scores around the league and they’ll know they need a win to stand any chance of collecting the title.

MS: “I can give you a few scores from around the leagues, Kenny. Ards, long time positional rivals of the Glens are drawing nil-nil at home to struggling Cliftonville where a win for the away side will ensure Premier Division football next year. Coleraine and drawing nil-nil with Linfield, former Glentoran trialist Gareth Macklin has put Crusaders one-nil up at home to Ballymena United and its also goalless between Glenavon and Limavady United at Mournewiew Park. As we know, it’s two-two here at ‘The Oval’ and Portadown are beating Larne two-one at Inver Park. A Andy Boyle penalty has put Newry Town one up at home to Dungannon Swifts and Omagh Town are two-nil down at the hands of Lisburn Distillery. So if it stays like this, Portadown will take the title with Glentoran in second place and at the bottom, Crusaders will go down with Omagh having to endure a Relegation playoff game with the second placed side in the First Division.

4.05pm – The Oval (Glentoran 2 – Institute 2)

KL: “and Stan Ginozola’s men seem to have started this half as they started the last, at 100mph. They’re still looking for that elusive goal though, but McCallion has the chance to change all that here… He’s found Young… good save Devine… ANDY SMITH!!!! He’s done it! Glentoran regain the lead! Look out Portadown, the Glens aren’t out of it yet!

MS: “And what a fine goal to get back into such an important game. McCallion has been fantastic today, doing just what he did then. He’s getting into tricky areas and his delivery has been spot on all day. Scott Young was unfortunate with the originally effort but full marks to Andy Smith for being in the right place at the right time, but what else have we come to expect?

KL: “And there’s news coming in from Inver Park of another goal! Is Glentoran’s afternoon going to get even better?

4.06pm – Inver Park (Larne 1 – Portadown 2)

GR: “It certainly is, Kenny! Larne have equalised. It’s been a Herculean effort all afternoon from Tommy Kincaid’s men and they’re got their just deserves there with a long throw from May being nodded home at the near-post from Mark Craig! It’s 2-2!!! Back to you Kenny, but no… if you just bear with me, Portadown are going forward through Fitzgerald… Chance for GARY HAMILTON!!! He won’t miss that one! Portadown regain their lead inside sixty seconds and this ding-dong afternoon continues!!!

4.08pm – The Oval (Glentoran 3 – Institute 2)

KL: “I need a rest and I’m only watching! I’m can’t imagine how the Glentoran supporters are feeling having to listen commentary on the terraces. They’re helpless to do anything but get behind their side and they have been doing just that in great voice all afternoon.

MS: “They’ve been superb, Kenny, as they have been all year. They all deserve a pat on the back, regardless of the result. That looks like it should be a free-kick there.

KL: “And it is. Hegarty’s challenge on Smith is deemed illegal by referee David Malcolm has awarded Glentoran a free-kick on the edge of the area. Now, what can Tommy McCallion do with this one… The big men from the back are all gathering at the far post… but will he need them? McCallion goes for goal! IT’S GONE IN! Glentoran lead 4-2! What a fantastic piece of skill from McCallion!

MS: “Unbelievable. He’s hardly taken a run up. He’s just clipped it towards the top-corner and with everyone expecting the cross, including goalkeeper Devine, there was little in the way to stop it hitting the onion bag! Glentoran are keeping their side of the bargain, now they need Larne to keep theirs!

4.22pm – The Oval (Glentoran 4 – Institute 2)

KL: “With Glentoran looking comfortable, lets back over to Inver Park to see if there is any chance of Larne staging a remarkable comeback to help Glentoran in their quest for the title and also maintain their Premier Division status for next season.

4.22pm – Inver Park (Larne 2 – Portadown 3)

GR: “No change in the scoreline though Larne are throwing everything at Portadown. Sean Armstrong went close with a fine drive that Millar did well to save and after the replacement of the injured Neil Ogden, substitute Robert Maye struck the foot of the post from twelve yards. I’ll keep you posted guys, but for now it’s Larne 2, Portadown 3.

4.28pm – Inver Park (Larne 2 – Portadown 3)

GR: “…Long ball knocked forward from Kane. Robert Maye’s under it… He’s done well has the substitute and he finds Sean Armstrong inside the Portadown area… what can he do..? He goes one way… checks back onto his right… shoots low… IT’S THREE-THREE!!! Larne have equalised and if it stays like this it’s Glentoran’s title!!!

4.29pm – The Oval (Glentoran 4 – Institute 2)

KL: “And that news means Glentoran are back on top of the table with sixteen minutes of normal time remaining. The news of Larne’s equaliser has swept ‘The Oval’ like wild fire and once again it’s party time. The news has be getting through to the players as well. Don’t lose your concentration, lads.

4.34pm – The Oval (Glentoran 4 – Institute 2)

KL: “McCallion with the corner… swung in… Glendinning’s there! It’s 5-2 Glentoran! They’ve won this one but they know it will count for nothing if Portadown can find a late winner at Inver Park. Let’s cross over to Gary Rogers for extended coverage of the final minutes at Larne. C’mon Larne!

4.35pm – Inver Park (Larne 3 – Portadown 3)

GR: “There’s ten minutes left on the clock here and at the moment Larne are looking the most dominant side. Remember, whilst a draw may be good enough for Glentoran’s title hopes, victory is all that matters for Larne, with a draw not enough to assure their place in next season’s Premier Division.

4.38pm – Inver Park (Larne 3 – Portadown 3)

GR: “Eight minutes left now as Gary Hamilton collects a loose ball on the edge of the area… he’s played in Tony Smith… Smith hits it low… great save Paul Wilson!

4.40pm – Inver Park (Larne 3 – Portadown 3)

GR: “Portadown again going forward now, obviously having received news of Glentoran imminent victory meaning a point will not be enough. Here’s Ricky Clarke… he’s found Hamilton… CROSS FOR SMITH!!! Another fine save from Wilson! He’s earning his money today!

4.43pm – Inver Park (Larne 3 – Portadown 3)

GR: “Things are getting desperate for both sides now. A goal for either side would be greeted with a roar that could be hear back in Belfast at ‘The Oval’ where I’m hearing Andy Smith has made it 6-2 in the dying minutes, but we’ll stay here for now… Here goes Hamilton… that’s a good ball for Neil… cross from the left… VINNY ARKINS!!! Guess who’s there again! Paul Wilson makes another blinding save.

4.51pm – Inver Park (Larne 3 – Portadown 3)

GR: “Deep into injury time now… can Larne find the goal to keep them up and, more importantly for you Glens fans listening, keep Portadown out to keep the title at ‘The Oval’? Michael Collins comes forward for Portadown… he’s into the area… but Jeff Hughes flings himself at it to keep it out… the rebound has ricocheted all the way out to Adam Hamilton who has a chance to break… Portadown have sent too many men forward… it’s three against one… There can’t be more than a few seconds left… this is Larne’s chance… Hamilton plays in Armstrong…SEAN ARMSTRONG!!!! IT’S GLENTORAN’S TITLE!!!!! Sean Armstrong has done it, Larne are safe!!!!

4.51pm – The Oval (Glentoran 6 – Institute 2)

KL: “With the game here at ‘The Oval’ finished, the Glentoran supporters have gathered in the centre-circle waiting for the final score from Inver Park to be confirmed. Only those with radios know what has gone on and the buzz is slowly making its way around the ground!! There is it! They’ve done it! It’s all going off here!!!

MS: “Well what a day, what a day for everyone associated with Glentoran Football Club, and well done to Larne as well. I’m sure Stan Ginozola will be sending an expensive bottle of champagne Tommy Kincaid’s way after his side performed their own heroics!

KL: “And I can now see Stan and his playing squad gathering in the Directors’ Box. They know they’re fate. They’re champions!!

MS: “Look at Stan, he’s delighted. This is the one they all wanted. And it all looked impossible two months ago. Who’d have believed it! Not me, that’s for sure!

Glentoran 6 – Institute 2

Goals: Young 1-0, Young 2-0, Coyle 2-1, Coyle 2-2, Smith 3-2, McCallion 4-2, Glendinning 5-2, Smith 6-2.

Attendance: 3,671

MoM: Scott Young (Glentoran) – It could have gone to any one of them but Scott Young’s display deserved the award with a hand in all six goals.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> | Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | C | Glentoran | | 30 | 18 | 9 | 3 | 68 | 25 | +43 | 63 |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Portadown | | 30 | 19 | 4 | 7 | 71 | 38 | +33 | 61 |

| 3rd | | Linfield | | 30 | 16 | 6 | 8 | 49 | 47 | +2 | 54 |

| 4th | | Ards | | 30 | 14 | 8 | 8 | 51 | 33 | +18 | 50 |

| 5th | | Coleraine | | 30 | 13 | 10 | 7 | 57 | 38 | +19 | 49 |

| 6th | | Ballymena Utd | | 30 | 14 | 4 | 12 | 48 | 43 | +5 | 46 |

| 7th | | Limavady Utd | | 30 | 12 | 6 | 12 | 56 | 42 | +14 | 42 |

| 8th | | Dungannon | | 30 | 11 | 9 | 10 | 47 | 40 | +7 | 42 |

| 9th | | Distillery | | 30 | 12 | 5 | 13 | 44 | 49 | -5 | 41 |

| 10th | | Glenavon | | 30 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 39 | 46 | -7 | 37 |

| 11th | | Newry | | 30 | 8 | 9 | 13 | 35 | 40 | -5 | 33 |

| 12th | | Institute | | 30 | 9 | 5 | 16 | 52 | 73 | -21 | 32 |

| 13th | | Cliftonville | | 30 | 8 | 8 | 14 | 40 | 63 | -23 | 32 |

| 14th | | Larne | | 30 | 9 | 4 | 17 | 34 | 58 | -24 | 31 |

| 15th | Pl | Omagh | | 30 | 6 | 9 | 15 | 41 | 64 | -23 | 27 |

| 16th | R | Crusaders | | 30 | 6 | 6 | 18 | 38 | 71 | -33 | 24 |

| | | | | | | | | | | | |

</pre>

Thanks lads! icon_smile.gif

With the Irish Cup Final still two weeks away, we were given celebrate our title. The players deserved it and Monday night seems surprisingly blurry after about 10pm.

Spotlight on…

Ballinamallard United (Our Irish Cup Final Opponents)

Five goals were all that separated Ballinamallard and a place in Rlegation/Promotion Playoff Final for entry into the Premier Division but that fact fails to tell half the ‘Roy of the Rovers’ story that is Harry McConkey’s side.

Only two seasons ago they were fighting for their lives at the foot of the Second Division before a mixture of good fortune on and off the field saw them storm to last season’s Second Division title, earning promotion into the First Division.

Their season started on the back foot, failing to progress past the Intermediate Cup group stages but they obviously saved their best football for later, going on to reach the final of the Steel & Sons Cup for a second consecutive season. Unfortunately, they couldn’t retain the title and it went to Bangor with a 2-1 victory at Ferney Park.

Striker Dave Riddell enjoyed a good season in front of goal, scoring thirteen times, though this is more impressive when you consider they only play twenty league games a season. Riddell’s form, coupled with young strike partner Nicky Noble was one of the main reasons behind Ballinamallard’s success in both league and cup. They only dropped out of the top two on the final day of the season when they could only draw 1-1 away at champions Bangor.

The Irish Press have been keen to strike up many ‘David vs. Goliath’ headlines but McConkey’s men aren’t just going along to Windsor Park for the day out. This is there chance to make history and they aren’t going to give it up without a fight.

Player/Manager: Harry McConkey

Ground: Ferney Park, Ballinamallard (1200)

Leading Scorer: Dave Riddell (13)

Highest Weekly Wage: Marc Robinson (£230)

There was some disastrous news back at ‘The Oval’ with injury to Mark Glendinning during a light training session ruling him out of the Cup Final. Glendinning strained ankle ligaments whilst turning during a light jogging exercise and will be forced to watch the game from the stands.

Things became easy worse thee days later when an accidental clash between Andy Smith and Chris Walker left the Northern Irish international clutching his face. He left the field to be examined by physiotherapist Jim Weatherup and the diagnosis was not good. Smith was left with a broken jaw meaning he’d join Glendinning in the stands in missing the Cup Final.

After failing to keep his side in the Premier Division, Marty Tabb is given his marching orders from Crusaders.

Omagh Town come out on top in securing their Premier Division status for another year having beaten Lurgan Celtic of the First Division over two legs. Winning the first leg 2-1 at home, a 1-1 draw at Lurgan’s Gratton Park was enough to keep the side I the top flight.

The Irish Football Association are particularly generous with their reward money, giving us £7,000 for finishing first and retaining our Premier Division title.

The league awards take place on the eve of the Irish Cup Final with the results being as follows:

Irish Football Association Yearly Awards 2003/2004

Northern Irish Premier Division ‘Player of the Year’: 1st - George McMullan (Limavady Utd) 2nd – Gary Hamilton (Portadown) 3rd – Tommy McCallion (Glentoran).

Northern Irish Premier Division ‘Young Player of the Year’: 1st – Gareth McLaughlin (Ballymena Utd) 2nd – Neil Mallon (Coleraine) 3rd – Aiden McVeigh (Glenavon).

Northern Irish Premier Division ‘Top Goalscorer’: 1st – Gary Hamilton (Portadown) 2nd – George McMullan (Limavady Utd) 3rd – Andy Smith (Glentoran).

Northern Irish Premier Division ‘Manager of the Year': 1st – Stan Ginozola (Glentoran) 2nd – Ronnie McFall (Portadown) 3rd – Joe McAcree (Dungannon Swifts).

Sat 01.05.04

Glentoran Vs Ballinamallard United – Windsor Park, Belfast.

Irish Cup Final.

The mood was confident amongst the players inside the ‘Home’ team dressing room at Windsor Park in the build-up to our Irish Cup final clash with First Division side Ballinamallard United. It was time to put all talks of a ‘massive upset’ to bed, go out, get the job done and complete the double. With injuries as they were, it was pleasing to see Paul Leeman come through a pre-game fitness test to earn Mark Glendinning’s place in defence. Up front, top scorer Damien McLaughlin was back in the starting line-up with Andy Smith watching with Glendinning from the stands having broken his jaw in the run up to the game.

Close to seven thousand supporters were gathered inside the home of arch-rivals, with many being Linfield supporters along to cheer for the underdogs. The Glenmen inside the ground gave as good as they got and provided much of the pre-game noise inside the stadium. Ballinamallard have never progressed past the quarter finals, never mind made the final of the countries oldest and most prestigious competition. They supporters were here for the day out but their players were ready to take the chance with both hands.

We started well and any early nerves were settled when Scott Young continued his electric goalscoring form from midfield, turning a cross from McLaughlin in at the near post. It was a goal our early played deserved and the Glentoran supporters could have been forgiven for expecting an easy ride once we had the lead.

But I knew Ballinamallard United wouldn’t let us have it easy and a flurry of second half chances lead to Jodie Hill being adjudged to have pushed Nicky Noble inside the area. The referee pointed to the spot and Noble brushed himself down to send Morris the wrong way and sent the game to extra-time. His joy at scoring in the Cup Final is clear for all to see.

The extra half hour saw both sides have chances to win it, and though we perhaps edged it, a replay would be required.

Glentoran 1 – Ballinamallard United 1

Goals: Young 1-0, Noble pen 1-1.

Attendance: 6,717

MoM: Scott Young (Glentoran) – Young is again impressive from midfield, scoring his third goal in two games.

Wed 05.05.04

Ballinamallard United Vs Glentoran – Windsor Park, Belfast.

Irish Cup Final Replay.

Weather: Dry, 10°C

The replay takes place four days later, back at Windsor park though this time were back to being the away side. Ballinamallard obviously fancy their chances after taking the game to a replay and our defence are forced to see out early pressure from the First Division side. Noble has perhaps what would be classed as a ‘sitter’ saved by Morris and Riddell’s follow-up effort is again forced wide by our goalkeeper.

Slowly but surely we begin to apply pressure of our own, leading to two clear chances for Scott Young that are both saved by United ‘keeper Chris Breen. Into the second half and Darren Lockhart and Darren Armour are introduced to try and find a spark but with Breen on form, we fail to find a breakthrough, meaning extra-time will again be required.

Ballinamallard are on the attack just forty seconds in when a long clearance upfield is misjudged by Walker and Morris is forced to save well from Noble. Noble is at the heart of all the First Division side’s attacking play, again testing Morris. This time Morris was forced to tip over through referee John Ferry failed to award a corner, much to the disbelief of the Ballinamallard fans.

The half-time period passes, as does much of the second period before an effort on goal from Scott Young in the dying seconds almost embarrasses the so far impressive Breen, striking the post before being cleared to safety.

A winning goal cannot be found and again penalties will be required to settle a cup-tie. Our record with spot-kicks has been so-so all season, though with the kicks being taken in front of our fans, I feel a little better regarding our chances. However, the game should have been put to bed long before now.

Winning the toss, we elect that Ballinamallard kick first and Nicky Noble shows no problems in striking a fine penalty to Morris’ left to put the First Division side 1-0 up.

It’s Damien McLaughlin who’ll kick for us, and after a quick chat with Elliott Morris, places the ball on the spot. The Glentoran fans behind the goal are silence, as is much of the ground bar a few heckles from the Ballinamallard fans. There’s a bit of unsportsmanship play from ‘keeper Breen, replacing the ball but McLaughlin remains unfazed. Two steps are taken and he leathers the ball to Breen’s right, equalising at 1-1.

Paul Williamson is next up for the First Division side. He shoots low to Morris’ right, the ball nestling inside the post. It’s Darren Lockhart’s turn to attempt to tie the game up and he’s cool under pressure, giving Breen ‘the eyes’ before sending him to wrong way to score. 2-2!

Gary Bonner, Simon Douglas and Darren Armour are all successful to make it 4-3 going into our fourth kick. It’s Scott Young who steps up. Though he manages to send Breen the wrong way, his kick is high and balloons over the bar to leave the First Division side one kick away from greatness.

I hope the pressure will be too much for him but nineteen-year-old Ballinamallard skipper Leon Carters looks composed. The fans behind the goal do their best ape impressions to put him off. He looks cool… placing the ball down on the spot and even having the audacity to stoop and re-tie his laces… Morris remains on his line… focussed on the ball… Carters is ready once again… He steps up, shoots high towards the top left corner… Morris goes the right away… His right arm beats the ball away! He’s saved it!

We need this one to remain in the game or Morris’ save is worthless, the First Division side have still won. Chris Walker volunteers to take it and though not a regular penalty taker he’s been in this position many times before. He’s a fighter and to put it bluntly, has balls of steels. Breen again does his best to get into the taker’s mind. Walker steps up, leans back and follows Young in hitting the ball high into the Belfast night sky. He drops to his knees as Breen is swamped by his team-mates. We’ve lost the double, Ballinamallard have pulled off one of the biggest shocks in Irish Football history and they’ve taken the Irish Cup.

Glentoran 1 – Ballinamallard United 1 (Ballinamallrd win 4-3 on penalties)

Goals: None.

Attendance: 4,749

MoM: Leon Carters (Ballinamallard) – Despite missing a penalty, Carters performed well throughout and was one of the main reasons we failed to score in normal time. Certainly a player I’ll be keeping my eye on as his career develops.

Northern Irish League Premier Division

Winners: Glentoran

Runners-Up: Portadown

Relegation: Crusaders

Northern Irish League First Division

Promoted: [iBangor[/i]

Runners-Up: Lurgan Celtic – Beaten 3-2 on aggregate by Omagh Town

Relegation: Brantwood

Northern Irish League Second Division

Promoted: QUB

Runners-Up: Tobermore United – Beaten 3-2 on aggregate by Armagh

Relegation: PSNI

Irish Cup

Winners: Ballinamallard United[/i]

Runners-Up: Glentoran

Northern Irish League Cup

Winners: Portadown

Runners-Up: Linfield

Northern Irish Intermediate League Cup

Winners: Banbridge

Runners-Up: Lurgan Celtic

Northern Irish County Antrim Shield

Winners: Linfield

Runners-Up: Ballyclare Comrades

Northern Irish Steel & Sons Cup

Winners: Bangor

Runners-Up: Ballinamallard United

European Champions’ League

Winners: Chelsea

Runners-Up: Dinamo Kiev

UEFA Cup

Winners: Glasgow Rangers

Runners-Up: Liverpool

UEFA Coefficients

46th: Northern Ireland – ECC 1, UC 2, INTER 0, Coef. 1.50

Glentoran Supporters’ ‘Player of the Year’:

Andy Smith

• 2 months later...

Season 2004/2005

The season begins with the draw for the European Champions’ League First Qualifying Stage. There are numerous clubs in the hat that I would like to avoid, namely Kazakhstan side Irtysh Pavlodar and Slovenian side NK Maribor. When the draw does take place, a fax from UEFA lets us know we’ll face Icelandic side Knattspyrnufélag Reykjavíkur, or KR for short, over two legs, starting with the away tie on Wednesday 21st July 2004.

In the final of Euro 2004, hosts Portugal made full use of home advantage, beating holders France 3-1 on penalties. The Portuguese came from home thanks to a Pauleta goal, equalising a Thierry Henry strike to force the extra period.

Wed 21.07.03

Knattspyrnufélag Reykjavíkur Vs Glentoran – KR-völlur.

Champions’ Cup Qual. 1 Leg 1

Glentoran 5-3-2: Elliott Morris - Colin Nixon, Mark Glendinning ©, Chris Walker, Sean Ward, Jodie Hill - Gavin Melaugh, Darren Lockhart, Scott Young – Damien McLaughlin, Tommy McCallion.

Weather: Wet, 19°C

Reykjavik is the host of our first round; first leg Champions’ League qualification game against Icelandic side KR. The players are back early from their summer break, just as they were last season when we lost out at the hands of Estonian side FC Flora. Again I know little of our European opponents but on closer scrutiny I can see full-back Sigurðsson and centre-half Elísabetarson have international experience for Iceland.

With Andy Smith missing with a thigh strain, Damien McLaughlin partners Tommy McCallion in front of a good number of travelling Glenmen over from Belfast. We’re under pressure fro the moment of kick-off on what is a wet yet warm night. A long throw into the box leads to unnecessary pressure, culminating in Olafsson’s header coming back off the bar after just four minutes.

The home side’s dominance is obvious, and we’re under pressure throughout much of the opening quarter hour. Elliott Morris is thrice called upon to save, parrying a goal bound effort from Sveinsson before saving well from Arnason. We’re having little joy going forward but that all changes when a quick break sees Sean Ward release Darren Lockhart down the left wing. Lockhart’s ball into the centre was well-placed and Tommy McCallion’s first time effort puts us 1-0 to the good!

The goal, against the run of play, does little to change the order of the game with the home side back on the attack almost immediately. We do our best t keep them out but can do little but watch as Sveinsson equalises, before grabbing a second to send the Icelandic side 2-1 to the good at the interval.

We’re on the back foot but again counter attack well to equalise at 2-2 on the hour through striker Michael Halliday. The youngster, who has over 85 appearances for the Glens to his name, missed much of last season through injury and this is his first appearance during my reign. If he continues to finish as well as he did today then appearances will become little more regular.

At 2-2, the travelling Glentoran are hopefully of taking the game back to Belfast all-square but KR have other ideas. Sveinsson is in inspired form, completing his hat-trick to make it 3-2, before laying on a fourth for strike partner Stefansson. We’ll go into the game next Wednesday two goals behind, but our two ‘away goals’ could prove to be crucial.

KR 4 – Glentoran 2

Goals: McCallion 1-0, Sveinsson 1-1, Sveinsson 1-2, Halliday 2-2, Sveinsson 2-3, Stefansson 2-4.

Attendance: 2,691

MoM: Einar Sveinsson (KR) – A hat-trick gives his side a great chance of progressing to the second round of qualifying.

Back in Belfast, speculation surrounding youngster Marc Wilson begins to build, culminating in Leeds United’s derisory offer of just £7,000. It’s immediately rejected but with Wilson not able to sign a full contract until his 18th birthday in two weeks time, the chances of keeping youngster at the club for the foreseeable future don’t look good.

Wed 21.07.03

Glentoran Vs Knattspyrnufélag Reykjavíkur – The Oval.

Champions’ Cup Qual. 1 Leg 2

Glentoran 5-3-2: Elliott Morris - Colin Nixon, Mark Glendinning ©, Chris Walker, Sean Ward, Jodie Hill - Gavin Melaugh, Darren Lockhart, Scott Young – Damien McLaughlin, Tommy McCallion.

Weather: Dry, 22°C

Back at ‘The Oval’, trailing by two goals, we knew we faced another huge up hill battle if we were to progress into the second qualification round. KR were strong, confident and more importantly, much more physically fit than our semi-professional players. Still, I knew we’d have a great attendance for the game with the fans desperate to see their boys progress.

We controlled the opening period, though we’re guilty of several missed opportunities to give us the lead. ‘The Two Mcs’, McLaughlin and McCallion both shot wide when released and Scott Young saw his low shot agonisingly come back off the bar. It seemed all too similar to last season’s aggregate defeat to FC Flora. We went into a break at 0-0 but we knew we should have been leading. With forty-five minutes left, we’d need an early goal if we were to stand any chance of forcing extra-time.

Things took a turn for the better three minutes into the second half when Gislason handballed when Young’s effort looked goal bound. The referee had little option but to issue a red card and McLaughlin had the chance to score from the spot. He shot low, beating Sigurdsson and giving us a one-nil lead.

Try as we might, we couldn’t find that all important second goal that would send the game to extra-time. The best chance fell to substitute McAuley, who snatched the bal ball and dragged it yards wide when the goal was at his mercy. For a second season running, our foray into Europe had lasted just two games.

Glentoran 1 – KR 0

Goals: McLaughlin pen 1-0.

Attendance: 11,502

MoM: Gavin Melaugh (Glentoran) – A fine performance from Melaugh, one which deserved further participation in the competition.

Thanks for reading and replying Dave. It's the club's motto, and it translates as 'The Game Before All' so I thought it'd make an interesting and slightly different story title. icon_smile.gif

The big Irish European success story comes with First Division Ballinamallard United, in the UEFA Cup First Qualifying round after their Irish Cup victory over ourselves. With Portadown bowing out of the competition with a 4-1 aggregate defeat at the hands of Israeli side Maccabi Netanya, United are the only side to progress, keeping the country’s hopes alive with a 5-3 aggregate win over Faroe Isles side TB.

There a number of offers for our players between the full-time whistle against KR and the kick-off time in the opening League Cup fixture with Limavady United. Portsmouth are the latest in a long line of English clubs to enquiry over Andy Smith but their pitiful offer of just £100,000 after 50 league goals was rejected out of hand. Glasgow Celtic also express interest in youngster Marc Wilson but he’s just too valuable to let go.

Glenavon and Ballyclare Comrades enter a duel over former Birmingham City winger Jon McCarthy, with both sides wanting the Northern Irishman to return to his homeland to manage their respective sides.

One player signing on the dotted line is goalkeeper Elliott Morris, signing a three-year extension to his current deal that ends at the end of this season. Morris will hopefully be our number one for years to come. The deal comes just hours before Dundela’s Stephen Gourley agrees to join the club’s reserve team after impressing on a short trial period. Gourley is a tough-tackling defender, aged 23, who made 12 Second Division appearances last season.

Transfer In:

Stephen Gourley (D C, 23) – Free transfer from Dundela.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gino:

Thanks for reading and replying Dave. It's the club's motto, and it translates as 'The Game Before All' so I thought it'd make an interesting and slightly different story title. icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never knew Glentoran had a French motto (must be some sort of Huguenot legacy). Actually, a better translation would be 'The Game Above All Else' -sorry to seem pedantic, but translation is my job and I'm half-French... icon_wink.gif

All the best icon14.gif

We’re made evens favourites to claim our third title in three season and complete the hat-trick. Portadown are second favourites at 5-4 whilst the auld-enemy Linfield come in third fancied at 6-4.

Sat 21.08.03

Glentoran Vs Limavady United – The Oval.

League Cup Grp 1 #1

Glentoran 5-3-2: Elliott Morris – Paul Leeman, Tim McCann, Chris Walker ©, Sean Ward, Jodie Hill - Gavin Melaugh, Darren Lockhart, Scott Young – Damien McLaughlin, Andy Smith.

Weather: Dry, 12°C

Injury problems pay their part in my team selection for our opening League Cup Group clash with Limavady United at ‘The Oval’. Colin Nixon and Mark Glendinning both pick up knocks in the week running up to the game meaning Paul Leeman and Tim McCann are both given starts. Up front, Andy Smith makes his first appearance of the summer in place of Tommy McCallion who drops to the bench.

Having missed out on the trophy last season, the League Cup holds some importance for us. Limavady are a strong side and though our two victories last season make us firm favourites, we’ll have to be on our guard, particularly against young striker Gerard Moore, thought to be one of the more promising players in the Irish League.

We make all the early running through Scott Young and Gavin Melaugh but fail to take advantage, with Young’s effort from twenty yards our best chance. Limavady launch counter attacks of their own and we’re fortunate to stop a flurry of corners ending with the ball finding its way into our goal. Injury to Paul Leeman midway through the second half sees Michael Halliday take to the field and the extra striker increases our attacking options, leading to the chance that saw Steve Brown trip Andy Smith and give us a penalty, twenty one minutes from time.

Once again Damien McLaughlin places the ball down, and a fine strike gives us a much needed win to get our league cup campaign off to an ideal start.

Glentoran 1 – Limavady United 0

Goals: McLaughlin pen 1-0.

MoM: Scott Young (Glentoran) – After disappointing display against KR, Young is back to his best with the return to domestic football.

On Sunday morning I’m contacted by a representative from Southampton Football Club, wanting to know how much it would take to tempt me into the sale of hotshot Andy Smith. Despite Smith having a minimum release fee of £250,000 that he isn’t keen to negotiate, I cheekily demand £500,000. Unsurprisingly, their interest isn’t quite as intense.

Glenavon are also back in touch, offering £10,000 for reserve team midfielder Andrew Kilmartin. ‘Killer’ has been struggling to hold down a place in the first-team squad and has been limited to substitute appearances so, in a bid to cut the ever-increasing wage bill, he’s allowed to discuss terms with our Premier Division rivals.

Former Linfield and Glentoran hate-figure boss David Jeffrey gets back into Irish Football, taking the job of newly relegated Crusaders.

Sat 28.08.03

Institute Vs Glentoran – Riverside Stadium.

League Cup Grp 1 #2

Glentoran 5-3-2: Elliott Morris – Colin Nixon, Mark Glendinning, Chris Walker ©, Sean Ward, Jodie Hill - Gavin Melaugh, Darren Lockhart, Scott Young – Damien McLaughlin, Andy Smith.

Weather: Wet, 12°C

Colin Nixon and Mark Glendinning are back to full fitness for our second group fixture, away at Institute. The home side opened their campaign last weekend with a confident 2-0 away victory at Portadown, with the two Ryan’s, Semple and Coyle, scoring the ‘Stute goals. Institute are looking to build on last season’s difficult season which ended in success with relegation being avoided.

We’re on the attack almost immediately when a long ball forward from Chris Walker is nodded into Scott Young’s path by Andy Smith. Young advanced on the ‘Stute defence before testing goalkeeper John Connolly with a low effort. The home side as soon forcing chances of their own and Healy’s long range effort almost catches out Elliott Morris.

We take the lead on twelve minutes when a well worked move falls to Young who punishes some slack Institute marking with a neat finish. However, it’s a lead we hold for just twenty-two minutes when Walker mis-cues allowing Ryan Semple to get his second of the competition, shooting low past Morris.

Going into the break at 1-1, I make three changes for the second period. On comes Michael Halliday in place of Andy Smith, McCallion replaces McLaughlin and goalkeeper Ronan Skelton is given his debut taking the goalkeeping gloves from Elliott Morris. It has the desired effect and we’re on the attack straight away with Halliday and McCallion combining to force a series of corners. The home side are on the wrack with Halliday himself guilty of missing an open goal that would have given us the lead at 2-1.

Thankfully, Halliday is keen to make up for his earlier mistake, playing in McCallion whose trademark cool finish restores our lead by the odd goal in three. The goal appears to open the floodgates and just five minutes later, McCallion again wheels away in celebration, converting another Halliday centre to make it 3-1.It’s a scoreline that somewhat flatters our performance, with the home side having just as many chances. We have both Morris and new signing Skelton to thank for maintaining our lead. Still, three points mean we’re the only side in Group 2 to have a 100% record from two games.

Institute 1 – Glentoran 3

Goals: Young 1-0, Semple 1-1, McCallion 2-1, McCallion 3-1.

MoM: Scott Young (Glentoran) – Another impressive display for the talented midfielder, grabbing a goal and two assists.

Archived