a closing down question(s)

i've been reading(again)sfrasers thread on "meet the system".I always seem to go back to that when i get bogged down with this game,i got to the bit where he describes marking and pressing below.

"Here you can see how the midfield and forwards press while the defensive line is a bit more cautious, and you can also see that the centre tight marks while the flanks are more flexible about their defensive duties. This set of instructions came about automatically through the TC and is pretty effective for starting off most games. However I do tend to adapt these instructions via shouts particularly early on in the match once I get an idea of the how the opponent has set up to play"

no screenshot i'm afraid but it showed closing down,tackling,marking and tight.he said he altered the closing down early in a games depending on what the opposition were doing/how they set up.My question is what type of pressing /closing down is best,for instance if the opposition have decided to set up defensively/counter attacking would it be best to tone down the closing down?i would say yes,the reason being is that they would want me pressing high up the pitch so they could catch me on the counter attack.BUT this is where i confuse myself because if i pressed a team who were defensive(with my high defensive line)i could nick the ball off of them and keep the ball in there half of the pitch.

The same goes with a team who have decided to attack me.WHAT DO I DO!!!!do i sit back(tone down the closing down)and catch them on the counter myself or do i meet them head on and press high up the pitch and tackle the hell out of them.

If my team is the best in the country should i be dictating the game no matter who i am playin against or home/away?Meaning should i be for the majority of games pressing high up the pitch imposing my style of play or is it important to gauge how the opposition have set up before deciding on how to press?

Archived