The Bigger They Are, The Harder They Fall...(FGC)

sherm

The Fallen Giant Challenge - Wegason

Restore a former giant to its former glories. Remember when Forest ruled Europe under Clough, when Leeds United competed in Europe and were a mainstay of the top flight?

There are other former proud clubs with great histories lying in wait to be restored to their former glories.

The challenge is to take over one of these clubs, with a managerial reputation of professional footballer at the highest, and win their nation's top flight title and then crown it with Champions League glory.

The club has to start in a division below the top flight on the version of the game you play the challenge with, the lower down the better.

List of clubs

England

Preston North End

Huddersfield Town

Leeds United

Nottingham Forest

Wolverhampton Wanderers

France

Stade Reims

RC Strasbourg

Germany

Dynamo Dresden

Fortuna Düsseldorf

FC Magdeburg

FC Kaiserslautern

Italy

Parma

Pro Vercelli

Verona

Spain

Real Sociedad

---

This was a game I started around the time when the challenge came out, but I have only just resurrected it. I had the story written, and it was, for me, one of the most enjoyable challenges on the board. I wanted to do something that would be long term, and I wanted a team that would provide a challenge, so I opted to go to Italy and take charge of Pro Vercelli. Hopefully, you enjoy reading as much as I have playing

The Vercelli Times

Manson Makes An Impact

Over the last two weeks, Pro Vercelli, seven time National Champions in the early 1900's, have really put themselves on the map. New manager Kevin Manson, a man who had a less than average playing career, has used his skills of persuasion to bring several new players into the squad. He has of course been helped by chairman Bartolomeo Nino Prunelli, who wants his Pro Vercelli team to be a force to be reckoned with again. The new signings have shocked many people, but with them it is expected that the 'White Shirts' should be challenging for promotion

Nigerian defender Jero Shakpoke is a versatile player, who can play anywhere across the back four, and for £100,000, it is a real snip of a fee for the club. Two more defenders joined, as Swedish international Teddy Lucic (an amazing signing in the context), and English youngster Paul Tierney both joined the revolution. Tierney had been released by Manchester United, and Manson has given him a chance to resurrect his career, while Lucic was a player who was playing well below his level in Serie C, as he was a much better player than that

The final man to join was Belarusian midfielder Vladimir Sorochinsky. He was another versatile player, and though he commanded a £200,000 fee, it was one that both Manson and Prunelli were quite keen to pay as they felt that he would be a vital cog in the Vercelli machine. However though, only time will tell...

When I was given the job at Pro Vercelli, over a fortnight ago now, I never expected to make such a quick impact as I did. The chairman, Mr. Prunelli, promised £2,000,000 in transfer funds, and he wanted a manager with a clean slate. No reputation, no past history. That was where I came in. To be honest, it was quite fortunate that I was in Vercelli, as I had made arrangements to move to Turin. Due to certain circumstances though, I didn't. To put it bluntly, my career was, well, mediocre. I skipped from Division 3 club to Division 3 club, making a brief stop in Catania towards the end. It was here though, that my biggest opportunity to date came up, as I managed to gain my coaching badges. I passed with flying colours, my natural talent for coaching coming to the fore, and I gained the opportunity to coach the Catania under 18's. There was a course in Vercelli though, a UEFA Advanced 'Pro' Licence, and I took the opportunity. It was here that I was approached by Bartolomeo Nino Prunelli, and that my career changed for the better...

"Hello, Mr Manson?"

"That's me. And you would be...?"

"Bartolomeo Nino Prunelli. Newly appointed chairman of Pro Vercelli, as you may or may not know"

"To be honest, I don't. I'm still quite new to the Italian game Mr. Prunelli"

"Well that's just perfect. I have a football club without an essential commodity. A manager. So I am here to offer you the position"

"Ok, erm...you heard what I said though? I'm still new to this management lark. And the Italian game"

A smile crossed the Italian's face, making him look years younger, and he placed his hand on my shoulder

"That's ideal. I've watched you over the last few days, and I can see that you have potential. You have all the traits to be a manager, and I want a manager with no history. Clean slate if you will. So, the job is yours should you want it?"

"Well, Mr. Prunelli, you certainly know how to convince people. Count me in, you have a new manager"

A shake of the hands later, and I suddenly had a new job. A managerial job. At Pro Vercelli. I don't think I had thought it through properly, but what the hell...

Over the first few days, I was a busy boy, and thanks to the persuasion skills of Mr. Prunelli (I bet he has great success with the ladies), we managed to acquire four new signings. Jero Shakpoke, Vladimir Sorochinskiy, Paul Tierney and Teddy Lucic, all four of which would be excellent additions for this level of football. I also managed to use my contacts in the game, and thanks to me previous time with Telford, I was able to persuade Scott Huckerby to take a new path in his career and join us in Vercelli. I was delighted to capture Scott, as I knew what he was capable of, having worked with him at Telford, and I knew that his attributes would be perfect for our level

It turned out that I didn't need to arrange any friendly games, as we had the Serie C Cup before the League started. It was widely regarded as a bit of a joke competition, but I felt we could use the games to get ourselves to the level we needed to be at for the start of the season. There were some decent players in the squad, such as Walter Mirabelli, Stefan Turi and Davide Andorno, but the latter had a reputation as being a bit of a trouble maker. That was something I would need to keep my eye on.

---

My personal life was always something I wanted to keep away from the paparazzi, and fortunately, due to the low-key nature of my career, I never really got into the papers. That suited me fine, and I was able to get on with my life. I had been in a seven year relationship before moving to Italy, but that had ended when she hadn't been prepared to move to a new country. I hadn't found anybody in my new home yet, although a string of one night stands had been order of the day. I never really wanted that though, as I enjoyed the safety and comfort of a relationship, but until I found that, I would have to just take what I could, for want of a better phrase

The opening Cup game was drawing ever closer, but two more new additions were added into the squad. Former Chelsea trainee Sam Parkin was added into the ranks, although I explained to him that he wouldn't be playing too much, as I wanted him to gain a fair bit more experience first. That wasn't the case with Paulo Nunes though. He looked prime candidate to play the lone striker role, mainly due to his on the ball ability fitting in with how I wanted to play. He was strong, quick and powerful, and I felt that if he could grab us 20-25 goals, it would be a real snip.

---

Nerves had started to kick in, and I felt like I had butterflies the size of eagles in my stomach. Our opening game in the Serie C Cup, would see Poggibonsi visit Vercelli, and with them being one of the favourites for promotion, it would provide us with a stern test. The team selection wasn't too difficult, as I decided to pick my best eleven, and try to get the confidence into the team straightaway

Serie C Cup Group D ; Game 1

Pro Vercelli 4-0 Poggibonsi

A terrific start from the players, and one that, in all fairness, I was shocked by. Once Scott Huckerby latched on to a long ball from Shakpoke, and used his pace to drive into the box, turn inside and fire into the bottom corner, it was all one way traffic. Paulo Nunes was most impressive, not just scoring twice but holding up the ball, dropping deep and creating space well, allowing others to run forward, but when Huckerby sealed the scoring two minutes from the end, it was a brilliant start to the season

Goals ; Huckerby 5, 88, Paulo Nunes 45+2, 70

I was shocked, but delighted, at how easily we had seen off a side that were meant to be far superior to us, and I was also delighted with the front three of Nunes, Mirabelli and Huckerby. I still felt we were short of a couple of players though, particularly in midfield, and that is why I moved quickly to bring in Ciro Caruso, on loan from Napoli, and free transfer Carlos Filipe. Both men would give extra competition in the middle of the park, although Caruso was earmarked for the holding role, mainly due to his strength and tackling ability, but it was better to have that competiton. I also managed to get myself a new assistant manager, as former Benin international Jean-Marc Adjovi-Boco joined the club. He did sign a player/coach deal at the club, but though he would provide back-up for the defenders, at 37, I wanted to use him more as my assistant manager

Serie C Cup Group D ; Game 2

Paterno 1-3 Pro Vercelli

Another excellent performance, and with both Caruso and Carlos Filipe in the squad (though Caruso made an early appearance through Turi's injury), it was nice to see them gel quickly. It took nearly half an hour to break the deadlock, Paulo Nunes slamming home the rebound from Mirabelli's shot, but the Paterno 'keeper had made several saves before that. Most of the action came in the second half, and though we dominated, Clemente headed his side level on 58 minutes. Two goals in two minutes sealed the win though, as Fogli was fouled in the box, and Jero Shakpoke slammed home the penalty, and Nunes volleyed home his second just 67 seconds later to seal another excellent win

Goals ; Paulo Nunes 28, 66, Clemente 59, Shakpoke pen. 64

--

Another excellent win, and I would be a liar if I had said I expected this start. I didn't at all. I didn't know what to expect if I'm honest. Having said that, I was reading up on the club in the local library, and I was pleasantly surprised by their past history. Seven top flight League Championships between 1908 and 1921, an amazing statistic, and it was only since the 70's that the decline of the club started. However, though I knew I had my work cut out, with the chairman and his backing, I felt that I could restore the club to some sort of glory

While I was at the library, I had also looked at the Italian League system, and it was certainly complicated to say the least. In the 'C' Divisions, only the top team gained automatic promotion, while the next four fought it out in a playoff system. There was also a playoff style elimination for the relegation in the divisions, and all told, it was a fairly complicated system

Serie C Cup Group D ; Game 3

Pro Vercelli 3-0 Biellese

We were never really threatened by our more illustrious opponents in this game, and though we made several changes, it didn't affect our performance. Two goals in five first half minutes put us in the driving seat, as Fogli was put through by Huckerby, before rounding the 'keeper and slotting home, before youngster Valsesia curled home a beautiful free-kick on 27 minutes, directing it right into the top corner. This sent the visitors into defensive mode, trying to stop an embarassment, and we only scored one more, midfielder Parente finding himself free on the edge of the box before firing a low shot into the bottom corner

Goals ; Fogli 22, Valsesia 27, Parente 71

Despite us having won all of our games thus far, we still hadn't secured qualification, a fact that niggled slightly at me. It maybe gave an indication of just how much of a hinderance this competition would prove to be, and I was tempted to field a weakened team for the game, but my competitive instinct got the better of me, and I went with the option of my best eleven

Before the game though, there was another new addition to the squad, as Portuguese striker To Madeira joined from Gouveia for a meagre £70,000. He had the natural goalscorers instinct, a typical poacher, and he would prove to be a good signing should he reach his full potential

Serie C Cup Group D ; Game 4

Torres 1-2 Pro Vercelli

This was the battle of the top two, and the winner would qualify. The draw suited us, but it wasn't in my nature to play like that. For the first time in the season though, we found ourselves behind, an uncharacteristic defensive error from Shakpoke allowing Amoruso in, and the striker deftly finished over our 'keeper. We were only behind for six minutes, Scott Huckerby using his pace and skill to cut in from the left hand side, before rattling a shot into the roof of the net and levelling it up. With qualification on the line, the second half was a tight affair, but twelve minutes from time, Huckerby continued his terrific form, breaking free and slamming home into the bottom corner. It helped us keep our 100% record and we qualified from the group

Goals ; Amoruso 20, Huckerby 26, 78

---

The Vercelli News

Perfect Start for Pro Vercelli

The Serie C Cup usually provides a distraction for many sides, but Kevin Manson and his Pro Vercelli side have made an amazing start to the season, using these games as a warm-up for the Serie C League campaign. The first game, against promotion contenders Poggibonsi, saw them thump four past the helpless 'bonsi. Then a 3-1 win against Paterno, and a confortable 3-0 victory against Biellese saw them involved in a decider against Torres, in which they battled hard to a 2-1 win.

Manager Kevin Manson has been thrilled by his side thus far ;

"Obviously I'm delighted with how the boys have started, especially the new lads. They've settled in beautifully, but even that has surprised me more at the start we've had"

"The League is our main priority, and with the chairman's backing, I am confident we can challenge at the top of the table, but it is vital we get results in out home games while picking up what we can away from home. With Nunes and Madeira as the strikers, we have that goal threat, and with the solidity at the back, there is no reason as to why we can't be there at the end of the season"

Manson's confidence will sit well with the fans, but it remains to be seen whether Vercelli will be there at the end of the season...

Serie C2/A ; Game 1

Pro Vercelli 2-1 Sangiovannese

Having started as well as we did in the previous four games, it was imperative that we started the League campaign in similar fashion, and when Brazilian striker Paulo Nunes headed home Mirabelli's corner in the 6th minute, we gained the start we needed. Unfortunately for us, it lasted all of a minute, as Sangiovannese striker Millesi hit a thunderous long range shot past the 'keeper to level the scores. Once that happened, there was only one team in it, and we had chance after chance. Mirabelli, Turi, Huckerby and Nunes all had chances, and even when Nunes was replaced by To Madeira, chances came and went. It probably wouldn't have flattered us had it been 10-1, but in the end, we had to settle for 2-1, Huckerby's 51st minute strike enough to settle the game

Goals ; Paulo Nunes 6, Millesi 7, Huckerby 51

--

I was still on the lookout for new players, despite our fabulous start, and when the opportunity to sign Portuguese 'keeper Hugo Pinheiro came up, I snapped it up. The Marinhense stopper was available for £250,000, and it was a small price to pay for a 'keeper of such talent. He had plenty of time on his side too, and could establish himself as our number one for years to come. The squad was starting to shape itself nicely, and I felt that just one or two more additions could make it just what it needed to be for us to really challenge at the top of the table

"Kevin, do you have five minutes for an interview?"

"Sure thing. Who's it with?"

"Local News. Just want your views on the season and the start so far"

"Sounds good. Send him in..."

I expected the interviewer to be like I knew most English journalists to be. Snobby, dressed in an expensive suit and thinking they were better than you, but when the journalist walked in, I was pleasantly surprised. A stunning, brunette lady walked in, her legs hidden by a relatively long skirt, but it was obvious she was a stunning young lady. I flashed my best smile and shook her hand as we sat down for the interview. I had never been the greatest at talking to journalists but when the journalist in front of me was as pretty as Vittoria, I could get used to it.

Serie C2/A ; Game 2

Alessandria 0-2 Pro Vercelli

Pinheiro went straight into the starting line-up for this game, and as it turned out, he couldn't have had a much easier debut. He didn't have a save to make, as we dominated the home side comfortably and eased to a 2-0 victory. It took us a while to find the opener, although out football was a joy to behold, but it was down to Paulo Nunes, who burst into the box, and was brought down by the defender. Shakpoke stepped up and side-footed the ball into the bottom corner in the third minute of injury time to send them in at half time ahead. The second started in a similar vein, as we pushed and pushed, but yet again, we could only find the one goal, although yet again it was Scott Huckerby, who burst through and fired home to seal another win for his side

Goals ; Shakpoke pen. 45+3, Huckerby 57

Cheers Mark. You're a regular follower of my stuff so it's good to have you along

---

Unfortunately for us, our preparations were disrupted over the next few days, as Paulo Nunes and Jero Shakpoke both picked up injuries, but it wasn't too much to worry about as we had good replacements. I had been pleased with how the interview with Vittoria had gone, especially as, when she left, she had given me her personal cell phone number, which was always a bonus. It had been a few days, and I took it upon myself to give her a call

"Vittoria Peluso"

"Vittoria? It's Kevin. How are you?"

"Oh hi Kevin. I'm fine thankyou sweetheart, yourself?"

Sweetheart? It had been a while since anybody called me that

"I'm fine. I was just wondering if you were busy on Saturday?"

"Well I have a couple of interviews but I should be done by around 12"

"OK. Well how would you like to have some dinner. Say my place, 7.30?"

I could feel her smile spread across the other end of the phone

"Sounds wonderful. I shall be there. And don't worry, I know where you live"

With that cheeky remark, she hung up the phone, but when I got to the ground several hours later, I still had a smile plastered across my face

Serie C2/A ; Game 3

Pro Vercelli 1-0 Prato

Pretty poor game in fairness, Prato just parked the bus for 92 minutes. Even though To Madeira scored the only goal of the game after just five minutes, he just didn't look as clinical in front of goal as Nunes had done in previous games. Our best player was Walter Mirabelli. The 33 year old belied his years by never stopping running, always pushing himself, and some of his crosses were perfection, just nobody on the end of them. I wasn't too disappointed, at the end of the day, a 1-0 win still gets you three points, but we need to start learning to be more clinical in games

Goals ; To Madeira 5

---

I think I was more nervous about cooking for Vittoria than I was for my managerial debut, but it went well in the end. I made a Pasta dish, with chicken, bacon and cheese, with potatoes and salad, followed by cheesecake afterwards. It was surprisingly quite tasty to be honest. We had a good night, chatting, laughing with each other over a nice bottle of Italian Red Wine, and when she left at the end of the evening, she insisted we do it again. Sounded like a plan to me. I think I'm starting to like this girl...

I had never expected to win our first seven games, and to be honest, I couldn't have dreamed of starting as well as we had, but I just had to hope that it lasted and we could keep it up. The players I had brought in had started to gel together, and they were combining well, but I wasn't going to rest on my laurels with this, I wanted to push on and make the most of our form.

Serie C2/A ; Game 4

Poggibonsi 0-1 Pro Vercelli

I'm at a loss to know just how we only won 1-0 here today. We beat our opponents 4-0 in the opening Serie C Cup match, but it could have been about 7 or 8 today. To Madeira was the most guilty of the players, missing three guilt edge chances, but he wasn't alone. Stefano Turi hit the post, Sorochinskiy headed over the bar, and even Jero Shakpoke forced a save from the hom 'keeper, and it was fair to say 0-0 at half time was flattering. The second half saw more of the same, as we dominated like we did in the first half, but it was only thanks to Walter Mirabelli's goal on the hour that we went ahead. Seven minutes from time though, a moment of madness that could have cost us, as Paul Tierney headbutted one of the Poggibonsi strikers and earnt himself a red card, but I was more concerned with the ban he was going to get. Still, we held on for the points

Goals ; Mirabelli 60

The Monday training session started, but before I went over to the players, I pulled Paul Tierney to one side to question him on his moment of

madness in the game

"Paul, I was just wondering what went through your head yesterday?"

The youngster looked sheepish, and I decided to take it a little easier on him

"I know I shouldn't have done it boss, but he was giving me **** all game. Laughing at me, slagging me off. I just saw red"

"I understand that, but the best response was to walk away. I'm not going to come down too hard on you, but I just want you to learn your lesson"

He looked up, almost shocked that I hadn't disciplined him harder

"Thanks boss. I promise I'll not do it again"

"Good boy. Now go and train with the lads"

I was happy enough that Paul would learn his lesson. After all, he was only 18, and a young boy, and every player had been in that situation, it was just a case of learning how to deal with it. I wasn't going to punish him, as the Italian F.A would dish their own punishment and that would be enough

--

Vittoria and myself had gone for drinks one night, and I did the gentlemanly thing by letting her choose where we went. She picked a rather nice little bistro, where they served a good selection of wine, but I was more interested to see Peroni on draught. Now don't get me wrong, I like a glass of wine as much as the next guy, but you can't beat a nice cold pint of lager when the weather is warm. We had another lovely evening, laughing and joking (although I do think Vittoria was a little drunk), and with every bit of time we spent together, we were getting closer. I had taken a bit of ribbing from the lads, but nothing too heavy. Well, at least not yet anyway...

Serie C2/A ; Game 5

Pro Vercelli 2-0 Pro Patria

A comfortable victory for us, and with Paulo Nunes back in the side, we immediately looked more clinical. Paul Tierney was serving the first of his three game ban, so a bit of a shake-up at the back was required, but I was fully confident we had the players to rotate. We started slowly actually, taking 17 minutes before we created a clear cut chance, but just after the half hour mark, we took the lead, a nice passing move in midfield leading to Turi sliding in Nunes, who turned his marker inside out and curled home into the bottom corner. It was a lovely finish from the Brazilian striker, and just six minutes later, he was at the heart of it again, as he was scythed down just inside the box, and Nigerian Shakpoke slid home his third penalty of the season. That was all we needed, and Nunes was replaced by To Madeira in the second half. Unfortunately, very few chances came in the second half, but we continued our stunning form

Goals ; Paulo Nunes 32, Shakpoke pen. 38

"What? Are you joking!?"

"We're sorry Mr. Manson, but I'm afraid his conduct was unpardonable"

"I agree, but surely the three game ban he gets anyway is enough? It sounds like you're victimising him because he's a foreigner"

"That isn't the case at all, we just feel that we need to set our stall out and set a precedent for the season"

I just tilted my head back and laughed. It was a lost cause to argue with it, but inside I was absolutely fuming. Paul had been given his warranted three game ban, but the F.A had contacted me to say they had added another five games on to it. An 8 game ban was scandalous

"Fine. I won't appeal against the decision, but I hope you can all live with the fact that you're wrong. Damn wrong!"

And with that I slammed the door behind me, the anger inside me bubbling to the surface. It was Paul I felt sorry for, as he had suffered enough, and I dreaded telling him he would miss eight games

--

"Come in"

Paul Tierney opened the door and walked in, typically covered in dirt after a hard training session

"You wanted to see me boss?"

"I did Paul. Please, have a seat"

He sat down directly opposite me, a nervous look creeping onto his face

"I've just come back from a meeting with the F.A Paul, and I'm afraid I have some bad news"

"What is it boss?"

I sighed to myself. I hated this. And I hated the F.A for making me do this

"They feel your conduct in the Poggibonsi game was unpardonable, and they have given you an additional 5 match ban. I'm sorry Paul, there's nothing I can do"

"Wait, that means I'm banned for 8 games?"

"League games yes, I'm afraid so. I know it's harsh, and I tried to fight it but there's nothing I can do"

I could see he was upset, and I was suddenly very sympathetic towards his plight. I knew it was harsh, he knew it was harsh, and I think deep down, the F.A knew it was harsh. I would miss a key player for 8 games too, more importantly, and that was a big blow

Serie C2/A ; Game 6

Pro Sesto 0-4 Pro Vercelli

This was our best performance of the season so far, in particular the first 15 minutes. We were absolutely ruthless, and our poor opponents had no answer. I had tried to sign one of their players, Alessandro Pontarollo, earlier in the season but he had rejected the move, but he was sat on the bench to watch his side demolished by our clinical play. Paulo Nunes opened the scoring in the fourth minute, rising highest to head home Huckerby's corner, and he turned provider for the second, combining with Stefano Turi for the midfielder to slam home into the corner. Turi then returned the favour, sliding in Nunes and the Brazilian deftly dinked the ball over the 'keeper, and he put us into a 3-0 lead in the 14th minute. We had to wait until a minute from time for the fourth, but when Shakpoke put his penalty into the top corner, he sealed a convincing win and sent us four points clear at the top of the table

Goals ; Paulo Nunes 4, 14, Turi 9, Shakpoke pen. 89

We sat proudly atop the table, with six wins out of six, and I was informed on the way back from the Pro Sesto game, we were on a club record ten game winning run. That stat surprised me, especially since the club had won seven titles, but maybe the stats didn't go that far back. The new players had all contributed in some way or another, the team was flowing and full of confidence, and I was delighted with how we were performing. Unfortunately, we still had the Serie C Cup (silly competition if you ask me) to compete in, and I had made up my mind that I would be resting several first teamers for the game

"Boss, you might want to see this. It's not the best bit of news..."

Jean-Marc had come bursting through the corridor to me, waving the local paper in his hands, and he had a rather concerned look on his face

"Calm down. You'll give yourself a heart attack. What is it?"

"Local paper. Interview with one of the players..."

"What? I didn't give anybody permission to talk to the press. Give it here..."

The Vercelli News

'I Want Out' - Vercelli star wants move to bigger club

Pro Vercelli's Belarusian defender Vladimir Sorochinskiy has today told us at the Vercelli News that he sees his current club as a stepping stone to his future. The star, who has been a regular part of Kevin Manson's table toppers, has made it quite clear that he doesn't see much of a future at the club

"Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the football we play, but playing in front of a crowd of 2,000 every week isn't what I want. I agreed a move in the hope of gaining myself a more lucrative offer elsewhere within a few months, so hopefully that will happen soon"

"Kevin is a terrific boss to work for, and he has taught me a lot in the short time he has been there, but I just feel that to cement myself an international place, I need to be at a bigger club"

--

I was livid. A stream of obscenities came from my mouth, and I vowed to speak to Vladimir when I got chance. However, with a game to prepare for the next day, I decided it would be best to leave it till after that

Serie C Cup 2nd Round 1st Leg

Arezzo 0-2 Pro Vercelli

Though I had no interest in the competition, even the team I put out couldn't stop our winning run. Seven changes (although Sorochinskiy played) didn't matter, and we were always comfortable in the match. Our Belarusian midfielder obviously was keen to secure a move, as he was our best player, and it was his free-kick that sent us ahead, as he curled it home from 25 yards. He had no idea what was coming. I was impressed with Ciro Caruso in this game too, as he controlled the game from midfield, delicate little passes setting players free and his tackles breaking up the game, and we sealed it on 83 minutes, Swede Teddy Lucic rising highest to head home his first for the club and seal the win

Goals ; Sorochinskiy 3, Lucic 83

I had left a message with the secretary to send Sorochinskiy to my office when he got in the next day, and I duly got a knock on the door around 9.30

"You asked to see me boss?"

I had left the newspaper with the article on the desk, and I think when he spotted it he may have realised he was in trouble

"Vlad. Sit down please, we need to talk"

"What's up boss?"

"Would you care to explain this to me?"

I dropped the newspaper in front of him, article facing him, so that he knew exactly what it was he had done

"I was mis-quoted boss. I never..."

"Right. First, mis-quoted my arse. You didn't ask permission to do the interview anyway. Second, you don't speak Italian. You had a translator"

"No I know, what I meant was, erm..."

"No excuse Vladimir. None. Now, I have decided that while you are under contract at this club, you will play. If, however, you are not giving 100% when you do play, you will be fined and suspended"

"What? That's not fair..."

"I haven't finished yet. Now it's clear to me that you don't want to be here. So, should we get what I deem an acceptable offer for your services, then you will be free to leave. Fair enough?"

The lads face had changed, and I think he felt he almost got what he wanted. He looked up with a sheepish smile on his face

"Fair enough. Thanks boss"

"Don't thank me. You're lucky I understand your point of view. Now don't take the **** again Vlad, you hear?"

Serie C2/A ; Game 7

Pro Vercelli 2-0 Biellese

Another of our opponents from the Serie C Cup, and again, we dispatched them with ease and composure. In the circumstances, it was ironic that Sorochinskiy picked up a knock in training, so he was unavailable to play, but his replacement Caruso did superbly well. Scott Huckerby had been quiet on the goal front in recent weeks, especially after his lightning start, but he was doing his best to try and change that, as he fired shot after shot off at the goal, almost a shoot on sight policy. It just so happened that he was the man who made the opener, as his pass found, of all people, Jero Shakpoke, and the defender raced through to fire the ball into the bottom corner. Huckerby soon made his impact in the second half, as he broke free of his marker to make a run to the near post and stab in Mirabelli's corner and seal the points for us

Goals ; Shakpoke 43, Huckerby 52

--

It had been brought to my attention that we had gone our last seven games without conceding a goal, which accounted to (if all 8 league and cup games were counted) 713 minutes of football without conceding a goal, but in the league it was 623, which was an amazing statistic. It just showed how well we had started, and just how strong we were at the back, especially with Lucic, Shakpoke and Tierney, aswell as Sorochinsky, Adjovi-Boco and Ciro Caruso. We just had to start being a lot more clinical in front of goal and we would be right in with a chance

--

"So where are we going then, in the relationship?"

It was the question that all men dreaded, but one that was eventually bound to be asked

"Well we both have careers, and you are, after all, several years younger than me. Why don't we just take it slowly for now, and see how things go?"

"So you do like me then Kevin?"

"Of course I bloody do woman! I wouldn't be sat here eating dinner with you otherwise would I?"

She laughed, a beautiful sight when she did

"Oh I love winding you up, it's all so easy"

And having said that, she threw a strand of spaghetti towards me, always a mistake

"Right, that's it. Come here!"

Serie C2/A ; Game 8

Pavia 0-2 Pro Vercelli

Another three points, another clean sheet and another outstanding and professional performance, we saw off 4th placed Pavia with relative ease. Once again, we had two quick goals to thank for giving us the points, but in this game I really noticed the impact of Stefano Turi. He had been phenomenal in the centre of midfield this season, and he was the provider for the opener, squaring across the box for Huckerby to strike a low shot into the goal after a quarter of an hour. He turned to scorer for the second, and it was a real contender for goal of the season. He picked it up inside our half, before beating five men, rounding the 'keeper and sliding the ball into the empty goal. It was a stunning effort, and the win kept up our maximum start to the campaign

Goals ; Huckerby 15, Turi 18

I had received a letter from the Italian F.A, and as soon as I saw the logo I was tempted to throw it in the bin. I decided to open it, and it was fortunate that I did, as I was delighted to see that we had scopped a couple of awards at the monthly ceremony. I had been awarded manager of the month (shouldn't I have got it last month aswell?) and Scott Huckerby had been voted player of the month, an award he fully deserved after his recent performances. I popped the letter in the top drawer of my desk, before heading off to the press room to conduct an interview for the local t.v channel

"So, Mr. Manson, your team have started with eight wins out of eight. Surely you couldn't have expected that?"

"Absolutely not no. I felt we had a good enough squad to make a decent start to the season, but nothing like that"

"So has it changed your ambitions at all?"

"Well I felt we could be challenging for promotion come the end of the season, and I think this reaffirms that I was right"

"I believe you had a run-in with the F.A recently? What was that concerning?"

I had been waiting for this question, and I had decided to voice my opinions over the screen so that everyone knew how I felt

"Well, they felt that Paul Tierney's three game ban for a straight red card wasn't harsh enough, and they added their own ban to make it eight

games. I felt it was a ridiculous decision and one they wouldn't have made with a home player"

"So do you feel he has been victimised?"

"Victimised is probably the wrong word, but I would say he has been made an example of. Paul isn't a bad lad, he just lost his cool. He is only 18 after all"

The rest of the interview went without trouble, but I felt that I had got my point across in a dignified and specific manner, and I hadn't offended anybody. Well, at least that's what I thought...

Serie C Cup 2nd Round 2nd Leg

Pro Vercelli 1-1 Arezzo (Won 3-1 on aggregate)

A game in which I made 9 changes from the win over Pavia, and it showed, as many of the players were sluggish, slow and some looked dis-interested. Fortunately, our opponents were just as bad, and ironically, it was two horrible defensive errors that allowed two goals. Davide Andorno capitalised on a slip from the full back to nip into the box, and his shot was parried straight into the path of To Madeira, and the Portuguese striker netted the rebound. Midfielder Fogli was next to make a mistake, as he misplaced his pass, and striker Aglietti nipped in, and lofted the ball over the head of the 'keeper from 20 yards to level things up. After that, there wasn't much to write home about, and when the final whistle blew, it brought an end to Arezzo's competition

Goals ; To Madeira 38, Aglietti 39

---

Following the Arezzo game, I was summoned to the board room for the two monthly meeting that was required as part of my contract. I think it is possibly the first time I have ever gone into a board room knowing I couldn't be criticised, and when Mr. Prunelli summoned me to 'Enter', I walked in beaming all over my face

"Kevin, please take a seat"

I sat down, suddenly a little concerned by the stern looks on the faces of the board members

"Why the long faces? Everything is going so well. We're top of the table, unbeaten...come on gentlemen, cheer up"

"Unfortunately Kevin, we have received a letter from the F.A..."

"Oh for God's sake. What do the meddling swines want now?"

Bartolomeo pulled the letter from his desk drawer, and placed his glasses on his head

"...we are sorry to inform you that, due to the nature and content of Mr. Manson's comments on the television, it is prudent and right for us to fine him £12,500. To top that off, your club must also receive a £2,500 fine for failure to control your manager..."

"Come on Bartolomeo, that's ridiculous. Twelve and a half grand?"

The chairman looked at me and dropped the letter back in his desk

"This is unacceptable Kevin. Obviously, your performance has been exceptional and we are not going to press the matter, but please make sure this is the last time we talk about this"

I had left the boardroom shaking with anger. I couldn't believe that the board had just accepted the matter. I was absolutely livid, and my mood carried over to the players and staff. This was not good, and unfortunately, it affected our performances.

Serie C2/A ; Game 9

Viareggio 0-1 Pro Vercelli

Worst performance of the season. Easily. We were **** in the game, and it was only thanks to To Madeira's 8th minute header that we came away with three points. To be fair though, I was partly to blame, as my head had been up my arse for the few days prior to the game, and I should not have allowed it to affect the players. My half time team talk wasn't the most motivating either, words to the effect of 'get out there and win the game' (although I'm guessing it was slightly more colourful). We were a little better in the second 45, but couldn't add to our tally and had to settle for 1-0

Goals ; To Madeira 8

---

A few choice words from Jean-Marc had made me see the error of my ways, as he had basically told me to get out of my mood and stop walking about like a bear with a sore head. I realised he was right, and I took the opportunity to apologise to the lads at the next training session

"Lads, I just wanted to apologise for my behaviour over the last few days. I realise I have been behaving like a kid, and I'm sure you all know why. Let's forget all about it, and show the rest of this league why we deserve to be top of the table"

The third round of the Serie C Cup was still an unwelcome distraction, and though I never would have said this to anybody, I wouldn't mind going out of that so we can concentrate on our league campaign. Obviously, I can't voice that opinion, but I can show my intentions by fielding a weakened side in the match.

Serie C Cup 3rd Round 1st Leg

Pro Vercelli 0-0 Avellino

Quite possibly the most boring game of football I've ever witnessed. Avellino clearly came for the draw, and as many of our players were not regulars, I wasn't too surprised at the draw. Caruso was excellent again, in his unfavoured centre back role, but the best player was Carlos Filipe. He had been average thus far, but his all round game here was superb. He was marauding forward, breaking up moves, spraying passes, and he thought he had secured the win seven minutes from time, but his goal was ruled out for offside, and the 0-0 was justified, with just 4 goalscoring opportunities all game

I felt that we were only getting stronger as the games went on, and if I was to have one criticism, it was that we were not clinical enough in front of goal. Paulo Nunes had been hampered by injuries and niggles, but he was back to full fitness and had assured me he was ready to play, and though To Madeira had done fine, he just wasn't a 25 goal a season striker. My main goal threat had been Scott Huckerby, but he was a winger and I needed him to make goals for the strikers aswell as score them himself. I was working on finishing with the players in training, and they knew I allowed them input.

The captain, Mirabelli, had been watching through the training sessions, and he felt switching to a 4-3-3 rather than 4-5-1 would be more effective, with the two wingers practically playing alongside the lone striker, therefore giving more options and allowing more freedom for the wingers. It would also shore up the centre of midfield and allow the centre backs more protection. I felt it sounded like an interesting plan, so I agreed to go with Walter's suggestion and change it up for the next game

Serie C2/A ; Game 10

Pro Vercelli 6-0 Novara

Maybe I should let Walter do my lottery numbers? A sensational performance from the lads, and one in which we fully deserved the result. We could have had more too, and the Novara 'keeper actually played pretty well in the circumstances. The result was sealed after 21 minutes, and that was all down to one man. Paulo Nunes had assured me he was ready to go, and he bagged his ninth of the season in fine style, hitting a first time curling shot into the top corner. He followed that up five minutes later with his tenth, a lovely one-two with Turi allowing him room to guide the ball home with his left foot. Ten minutes later, Mirabelli's corner saw him complete his perfect hat-trick, as he rose highest to power home a header into the net and seal the game. His twelfth of the season came just before half time, and to be going in at the break 4-0 ahead is some luxury. We didn't let up either, which was pleasing to see, and Caruso struck a fine free-kick into the net just after the break. Chances came and went, but the final goal came five minutes from the end, Huckerby latching onto Turi's pass and lashing the ball into the roof of the net. Brilliant result.

Goals ; Paulo Nunes 6, 11, 21, 42, Caruso 49, Huckerby 85

---

The mood around the club following the Novara game was great, everybody involved was smiling. However, we still had a long way to go, and I urged the players not to get complacent over the next few games. That said, Jean-Marc was taking the training session for the day as I had to travel to Turin to secure what I felt would be an amazing and serious signing for the club. With the window closed, I would have to wait until December to welcome any new signings, but I just felt that if I could secure the signing of a big name like Ciro Ferrara, it would signal the ambitions we had as a club

Claudio Ranieri was the Juventus manager, and he welcomed me to the ground with a warm smile and a handshake. He led me into the room where Ciro and his agent were waiting, and it was just a case of me selling the club to them. I entered the room a little nervous, but once I saw Ciro's agent, I relaxed a little more...

"Paulo Vagnoli? How on earth are you?"

I embraced my former team-mate in a hug, it had been almost 8 years since we had seen each other

"I'm fine Kevin. Yourself?"

"Couldn't be better. How long have you been an agent?"

"Three years now. Saying that, this is my client, Ciro Ferrara"

The defender stood up, and I couldn't believe the size of the lad. He was about 6'4, maybe 14 or 15 stone. A real intimidating presence, and I felt compelled to sign him to the club

"Lovely to meet you. Now, should we get down to business?"

The meeting went well, with Ciro expressing a desire to join us. He did however, have a couple of conditions. As he was 33, he only wanted a 2 year deal, but he also wanted to be given the opportunity to do his coaching badges. This seemed fair enough, although I was eager to know if he felt that Vercelli was an option for him to return as a coach, or if he wanted to go back to Juventus. He was open, honest, and I appreciated that, so after an hours negotiations, I was delighted to sign him to a 2 year contract, with an extra option of two years if he wanted it. This was massive for the club

Serie C Cup 3rd Round 2nd Leg

Avellino 2-1 Pro Vercelli (Lost 2-1 on aggregate)

Finally our Serie C Cup adventure had ended, but if I'm honest, our first defeat of the season hurt a hell of a lot more than I expected it to. We were pretty poor really, and in fairness to the home side, they showed more ambition and more adventure. However, we had our defence and goalkeeper to thank for keeping us on level par for so long, as they were superb, but in the third minute of injury time (it said two on the board), Rosamilia managed to break the deadlock, his shot deflecting off Filipe and looping into the net. It took just seven minutes of the second half for the home side to double their lead, Rosamilia playing in Noselli, who took the ball beautifully and finished with aplomb. We did pull one back, thanks to To Madeira heading home on 68 minutes, but we never really looked like evening it up. Still, not a disaster of epid proportions

Goals ; Rosamilia 45+3, Noselli 52, To Madeira 68

---

If, at the start of my time in Vercelli, I would have been told that we would be top of the Serie C2/A table, with ten wins out of ten, having lost just one game and conceded one league goal, I would probably have laughed my head off. But that is exactly what had happened. I could not believe that we had not conceded a league goal for nearly 900 minutes (893 to be precise), and the money I had spent to bring Pinheiro to the club looked like it was £250,000 well spent. I had been delighted with my signings so far, but unfortunately, it looked like I wouldnt be able to make Ciro Caruso a permanent fixture after his loan spell finished, as Napoli seemed quite keen to give him a chance

On the way to the next game, I discovered that the players had started a card school on the back of the bus. Now don't get me wrong, I had no problem with it, but I didn't want to see it get out of hand. We used to do it back in my playing days, but we had a limit of £50 per game. So I put the same limitations on it here, although I let the players pick their own amount. That way, everybody knew what to expect and nobody would end up losing stupid amounts of money

Serie C2/A ; Game 11

Legnano 0-0 Pro Vercelli

I'm still at a loss to explain how we only drew this game. And an even bigger loss to explain how we didn't score. We created 17 clear cut chances, but thanks (or no thanks in my case) to the home side 'keeper, we could not find the breakthrough. Davide Andorno saw a shot tipped round the post, while Paulo Nunes hit the bar, had a header cleared off the line and missed a guilt edged chance. By far though, the worst miss was Ricardo Fogli's, who did all the hard work, found himself free with an open goal, and then put his shot over the bar. He could not believe it, and neither could I, but at the end of the game, I gave the Legnano 'keeper a deserved handshake for his stunning performance and a well earned man of the match award

---

Once again, Nunes saw his progress disrupted as he picked up another niggle, and I just wonder that had he not kept picking up knocks and stopping and starting his season, how many more goals would he have added to his current tally of 12. I had been delighted with the way he had gelled in the new formation, and I was also delighted with how we were continuing our progress. However, the player I had been most impressed by was Stefano Turi. The 22 year old had not made the best impression in the early training sessions, but since earning himself a spot in the team, he had been inspirational in the middle of the park. He had been creative, setting up five goals for his team-mates and chipping in with a couple himself, but his passing was, at times, a joy to behold. I had no hesitation in extending his contract to 2007, as I felt he had a big part to play in our future

"Darling, what are you doing for Christmas?"

I looked up from my laptop to see Vittoria stood in the doorway. I had work to do but if she was persisting in standing there in a revealing dress, I may have to reconsider

"Christmas? No idea. Probably get a takeaway dinner and catch up on some work"

"That's terrible. No, I shall tell you what you're doing for Christmas. You have a three week winter break right?"

"Er, yes. 22 days I believe"

"Right. So, why don't you join me in the Alps. I'm visiting my parents, and taking a skiing vacation while I'm there"

It sounded like a plan, and to be honest, a week away was just what I'd need by then. However, I had a couple of concerns...

"Hmm...just a couple of quick points. One is that I can't ski, and the second is that I thought we were taking it slowly?"

"We are. Dinner with my parents on Christmas day, a quick hey, then we go away boxing day. Nothing too serious, just a break away. You know you need it babe"

I sighed to myself. How do women always get what they want?

"OK. Count me in. Hadn't you better tell your parents about me first though?"

She just flashed me her most mischievious smile and crept out of the room. I had to smile to myself...

Serie C2/A ; Game 12

Pro Vercelli 3-0 Meda

Thoroughly professional performance today, and a well deserved 3-0 success over a frankly average Meda side. We have looked unstoppable at home this season, both going forward and at the back, and just after the quarter hour mark, we looked set to continue this form, Huckerby passing to To Madeira, who's dummy was a stroke of genius, and it allowed Walter Mirabelli to fire home from the edge of the 'D'. To Madeira then showed his natural poachers instincts, as he managed to nip in between two defenders and poke the ball into the net. It was the faintest of touches, but enough to seal the goal and a 2-0 lead. Normally at 2-0 behind, a side will try and get back into the game, but Meda looked like they either couldn't, or had no desire to. They never put us under any threat at all, and 18 minutes from time, Scott sealed it with a stunning volley, the ball dropping to him from a defensive header and on his weaker left foot, he connected perfectly

Goals ; Mirabelli 16, To Madeira 19, Huckerby 72

---

Vittoria was busy making plans for our festive season away, so I let her get on with it and I concentrated on the football side of things. I was still on the lookout for new additions to the squad, especially since I knew that we would be losing one of our major players in the transfer window. I had been contacted by Serie A club Udinese, and before I could even ask for a price, they were offering £1,600,000 for Vladimir Sorochinskiy. That was an amount of money that a club our size could not turn down, and after Vlad's behavious earlier in the season, I was quick to accept the offer. I called him into my office to inform him of the offer, and truth be told, it was a problem I didn't have to deal with anymore

"Thanks for coming in Vlad. It won't take long"

The midfielder sat down. To be fair to him, he had been playing well since our little disagreement, and I couldn't fault his performances

"Basically Vlad, I'll keep it short and sweet. Udinese want you, and they've made what I consider a suitable offer for you. So, here's the chairman's number, and you are free to chat to them"

"OK. Look boss, about what happened a few weeks ago..."

"Vlad, forget it. I have. Just go and do what you need to do"

The midfielder left the office, and I sat there reflecting on what had just happened. Sometimes, maybe I was too nice for my own good.

There were several players on my radar for when the transfer window opened, and I had a sneaking suspicion that I may lose one or two others in that time too, thanks to the stunning nature of our performances so far, so it was essential that I had replacements lined up should this be the case

Serie C2/A ; Game 13

Montevarchi 0-1 Pro Vercelli

Sorochinskiy did not start the game, and though he was on the bench, I wasn't sure he was in the right frame of mind to start for the club again, especially since we both knew he was leaving the club very soon. It was a disappointing performance, especially as we had looked good in our last few games, but all credit must go to Montevarchi. They did really well to stifle our play, particularly in the first half, and the players were getting very frustrated that they couldn't find the breakthrough. The difference maker was bringing on Parente at half time. The lad had only just recovered from a 2 month lay-off, and this was his first game back, but the way he played it was as if he had never been away. He was trying everything to create us chances, and he combined well in midfield with Turi. It was this combination that would help us, but on 77 minutes, we looked like losing our proud clean sheet record, as a mis-timed Jero Shakpoke tackle gave away a penalty. Striker Vigna stepped up, but he was denied as Pinheiro tipped it round the post. Two minutes were left, and it was Scott Huckerby (seems a regular occurence doesn't it?) who won us the game, as he fired home after a scramble in the box

Goals ; Huckerby 88

--

We headed into December with our club record clean sheet run extended to an incredible 1163 minutes of League football. Hugo Pinheiro was certainly earning his wages, and I couldn't fathom how well we were defending at times. Our attacking was starting to get better too, and we were having a superb season. Top of the table, just two points dropped, a nine point lead over the rest of the league, and looking odds on for promotion

--

"It's all sorted. We leave Boxing Day, get back 3rd January"

I had looked up from my work to acknowledge Vittoria when she walked in, and as I grunted a reply, she laughed to herself

"What?"

"You. You work way too hard. Can't you give yourself a day off?"

"And what would you like me to do with this day off?"

She sarcastically looked up to the sky, before smiling and sitting on my knee

"Take your lady out to dinner?"

"Don't you have work to do?"

That laugh again. She isn't half sarcastic

"Some of us are organised babe. I've done all mine, unlike you"

Before I could reply, she scooted off my knee and into the kitchen. I just shook my head and turned back to my laptop. I suppose I had better book us a table hadn't I?

Serie C2/A ; Game 14

Pro Vercelli 2-0 Cremonese

Cremonese were sitting in third place in the table, so a win here would send us well clear of them and really cement our push for the title. Nunes was back in the squad, although he started on the bench, but Walter Mirabelli was a man enjoying his run in the side and he continued his good form by curling us into a 7th minute lead. It was a lovely goal, as he received the ball on the left hand side of the box, cut inside and curled home into the corner. The winger was superb, and he nearly had a second on 23 minutes, hitting his shot inches wide of the post. Carlos Filipe was sitting beautifully in the holding role, while Ciro Caruso was, unusually for him, bombing forward into the box, and he had a couple of good chances to double our lead. I was a bit concerned that we would pay for missing out chances, especially as To Maeira had a poor game, but the introduction of Paulo Nunes won us the game, and his 13th of the season sealed the game nine minutes from time

Goals ; Mirabelli 7, Paulo Nunes 81

It's easy this management lark isn't it? When I took the job, I never expected it to be going as well as this. Never in a month of Sundays. I just didn't really know what to expect, but I certainly am delighted with how it has gone so far. Makes it all seem so easy. I'm prepared for the tough times that are bound to come, and it is a test of how to deal with those and how well you come through them

"Kevin, do you have five minutes?"

Bartolomeo had popped his head through my open office door, a brown envelope in hand

"Sure, come on in"

He came in and made himself comfortable in front of my desk

"What can I do for you Bartolomeo?"

"Well, obviously myself and the rest of the board are delighted with the way the team is performing, it is beyond our wildest dreams. So, in this

envelope is a two year contract, and we would love for you to sign it"

I took the contract out of the envelope, and though a little bit of me was disappointed that I would only be getting paid the same as I was on now, but I was always going to sign it

"Well, I'm loving my time here, so I think that signing the contract should be no problem. I just hope I can keep up the good work"

"So do we Kevin. We have every confidence in your abilities though and every faith you will continue to do a terrific job"

I left the office wondering what I'd have to do to get a pay rise. My basic salary wasn't great, to be frank, and I was certainly not able to live a luxurious life on my wage. Still, at least I had a job eh?

Serie C2/A ; Game 15

Rondinella 1-3 Pro Vercelli

So, after 1,379 minutes of League football, we conceded our second goal of the season. Fortunately, we were 2-0 up at that point, thanks to Paulo Nunes and his stunning first half performance. He had started well, and his first goal came from a terrific team move. He dropped off his man, and after laying the ball wide for Huckerby, he darted into the near post, and as Scott whipped the ball in, Paulo used his left foot to flick the ball over the 'keeper. This set us off on the right track, and on 24 minutes, we doubled our lead. Shakpoke played a long pass into the feet of Mirabelli, who played a first time pass to Nunes. The Brazilian jinked inside and fired a low shot into the corner. The rest of the game was a little dull, as the home side tried to get back into the game, and we stifled them. Tierney made a mistake that allowed them back in, as he slipped trying to clear the ball, which let D'Avello in. However, we secured the points in injury time, Nunes seeing his shot saved and Huckerby heading home the rebound

Goals ; Paulo Nunes 10, 24, D'Avello 76, Huckerby 90+2

---

Following the Rondinella game, I decided to give the players an extra day off, as they had worked hard over the last few weeks, so I cancelled the Monday training session. I still had stuff to do though, and I went in, but when I drove up to the ground, I was surprised to see the lights on in the Chairman's office and the lobby. Bartolomeo hardly spent any time at the ground at the best of times, but to see him in on a Monday morning was unheard of. I let myself in, and as I walked up to his office to say morning, I was surprised to hear two voices deep in conversation

"I'm not going to lie to you Matteo, I'm bleeding money. The club is taking it out of me, and I don't think I can deal with the stress anymore. It's making me ill"

"So what are you proposing Bart?"

"Well why don't you take over the club? Total control, running costs, everything?"

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Bartolomeo was talking about giving up the club? He had only been in charge six months or so

"What about the manager?"

"Well, he isn't the most subtle person. He does voice his opinion, but the players seem to like him. And the fans. Plus, he's doing well so it would turn a few heads if you sacked him"

"I'm not concerned about a big mouth like him. I'll sort that out. Now, shall we sign the contracts?"

I turned on my heel and fled out to the car, reversing out of the car park and flying back to the flat. I couldn't believe what had just happened, and I had to confront Bartolomeo about it. First though, I would talk to Vittoria.

Serie C2/A ; Game 16

Pro Vercelli 0-0 Valenzana

We weren't brilliant in this game, but as I stated in the post-match interview, I felt we had done enough to win the match. To be honest, after what I had heard on the Monday, I had my mind elsewhere for most of the match. Scott Huckerby and Paulo Nunes were the guilty parties who missed the best chances, but we had Hugo Pinheiro to thank for keeping the scores level, as he pulled off a world class double save towards the end of the game. I wasn't too impressed with our opponents, and was left wondering how they occupied a playoff place. Still, we were 15 points clear at the top and looking odds on for promotion

--

"Are you sure that's what you heard?"

Vittoria had been as shocked as me when I told her, but I had a plan. I had managed to find out the full name of the prospective buyer, and apparently he was Turin businessman Matteo Olivetti. I had asked Vittoria to dig up a few facts on this man just so I knew what I would be dealing with

"Positive. I had to get out of there sharpish so they didn't know I was listening"

"Right, well I'll see what I can find out on this Olivetti and let you know babe. In the meantime, you need to pretend like nothings happened and

get on with the football"

She was right, of course. I had to just concentrate on the team, and the football. We had one more game before the winter break, a visit to Castelnuovo, and if we won that we would be at least 15 points clear going into the break.

There was transfer activity in and out before the game though, as Sorochinskiy left for Udinese, bringing us £1,600,000 into the bank, and Ciro Ferrara joined us as Vladimir's replacement. Ciro had an excellent impact, and as soon as he walked into the training session, he got the utmost respect from the lads. Here was a man with 20 odd Italy caps, and over 300 games in Serie A to his credit, so he deserved all the respect he was getting

Serie C2/A ; Game 17

Castelnuovo 3-4 Pro Vercelli

What a stunning game for the neutral, but I have never seen us defend worse. We were shocking at the back, with only Teddy Lucic making any sort of impact. Going forward, we were as good as we could have been, and to score four goals away from home is a fantastic achievement, but I wondered how we had conceded three goals in one game, having let in just two in the previous 16. Scott opened the scoring after 15 minutes, a wonderful lob over the 'keeper, but by half time, we were behind, goals from Gazzoli and Malatesta sending us in at half time behind for the first time this season. However, we had a goal glut in the second half, and goals from Stefano Turi, Paulo Nunes and Davide Andorno's first of the season sent us 4-2 ahead. We weren't done though with the goals, and Sosto grabbed a consolation just before the end, but we won the match and thanks to Cremonese's slip up, we ended the festive period 17 points clear at the top of the table

Goals ; Huckerby 15, Gazzoli 39, Malatesta 45+2, Turi 54, Paulo Nunes 60, Andorno 75, Sosto 90+3

I honestly couldn't believe the start to the season we had Mark. I was astounded with the clean sheet run, and I don't think I've ever had a better run on any version of the game. Glad you're still following

---

Vittoria had tried to get me to promise not to bring my work on the break with me, but there was absolutely no chance of that happening. I was too busy a man and had deals to arrange so I needed my laptop with me over the course of the holiday. I have to say, I certainly enjoyed the break, and it was much needed. I had thrown myself into the job and had been non stop for the last few months, so when the opportunity came up to relax, I took it. I even tried my hand at skiing, and while Vittoria was quite adept, I was worse than useless. I spent more time on my backside than I did on the skis. It was on this trip that myself and Vittoria both realised that we were starting each other a lot more than either of us were letting on, especially after the meal with her parents went so well

I was sat on my laptop in the cabin one afternoon when Vittoria walked in, talking on the phone

"Thankyou Paulo. You're a star"

"..."

"No, no, don't worry. Just e-mail it to my work address and I will check it on Kevin's computer when I get chance"

"..."

"No problem sweetie. I owe you one. See you in a few days"

She put the phone down and turned to me with a big grin on her face. One the likes I had never seen before

"Babe, we've got it"

"Got what?"

The look of confusion on my face must have told her everything she needed to know, because she just sighed to herself

"The info on Olivetti"

"Brilliant. What do we know?"

"Well Paulo's e-mailing me the full files, but basically, his last business deal was in Morocco. Oil, or something similar. He had a 50% stake in the business, until his partner mysteriously died. Same in his two previous deals before that"

"Hmmm. So he doesn't get on well with his partners then? Any suspicion on him?"

"Tried for all three but found not guilty every time"

--

I had been astounded when I read the files on Olivetti, and I knew straightaway that he was a shady character. His last three business deals had seen him make £150,000,000, but only after the partners died and he automatically got their shares. Now you can't tell me it's a coincidence? One, definately, two, possibly, but three? No chance. Basically, if this bloke takes over the club, we could be in trouble

I had not managed to speak to Jean-Marc over the holidays, and I hadn't wanted to drag him away from his wife and daughter. So I sent him an e-mail (how technically minded am I?) informing him of the new arrivals at the club

--

To ; J-MAdjBoc@Vercelli.mail.com

Cc ; January Return...

-----------------------------------------------------

Jean-Marc

Didn't want to drag you away from the family so I've e-mailed you the details of all our winter business. Managed to secure four signatures, but unfortunately, Teddy Lucic is leaving us for bigger and better things. Juventus offered us £2,500,000 and I couldn't turn that type of money down

Got a young Englishman joining us from Torquay, by the name of Michael Jack. He hasn't been there long but broken promises have seen him want to leave. He has all the potential in the world, and though he could easily play 25-30 games a season, we should limit his game time for now. Next is a loan signing, Moroccan midfielder Houssine from Ternana. I have been impressed with this lad, and he will provide a good back-up. Also managed to convince his club to give us first option should we need it too

Name from the past now, Daniel Amokachi. Only on a short-term deal, but with Paulo's injury proneness and To Madeira not exactly prolific, we could do with the back-up. He's played in World Cups and England and Spain, so he seems an ideal candidate. Last one is Per Kroldrup from Udinese. Had to stretch the fund a bit, club record £900,000 to bring him in, but I reckon he's going to be a star. Superb in the air, quick and powerful, and I think he can learn a lot from Ciro to progress his game

That's all mate

Enjoy your festive season

Kevin

The first training session back was merely just a warm-up, as a three week break is anot easy to come back from. I had an interesting start though, as I arrived a bit earlier at the Chairman's request. I walked into his office and immediately saw a man who I assumed to be Olivetti sat next to Bartolomeo

"Ah Kevin, please come in"

I sat down tentatively, not really knowing what to expect

"Kevin, I would like to introduce you to the club's new chairman. This is Matteo Olivetti"

I leant across the table and shook his hand, just out of politeness

"Nice to meet you. So what's the situation?"

"How do you mean?"

"Well, where do I stand? And do you still have a stake in the club?"

Bartolomeo smiled to himself, folding his arms across his chest

"Well you have done a terrific job, so your position is safe. And I no longer have a controlling stake in the club, I just own 25%, while Matteo has 75%. I'm in charge of the commercial side of things too, so I can use my knowledge of the club to help us out"

--

I couldn't help thinking that it was a strange arrangement between the two, but maybe my first impression had been wrong. Olivetti had sat for twenty minutes to tell me his grand plans for the club, and he seemed to genuinely want to improve us, and make us better. I had also received his full and unadulterated support

To start January's games, we had another away trip, which is how we had finished, and we faced a trip to Sangiovannese, a team we had comfortably dispatched in our first meeting. Of the new signings, Kroldrup and Houssine started, while Amokachi and Jack both took their place on the bench

Serie C2/A ; Game 18

Sangiovannese 0-2 Pro Vercelli

I expected us to look quite sluggish following our three week lay-off, but it was almost as if we had never been away. We started well, testing the home sides 'keeper on three occasions in the first 20 minutes, and Mirabelli curled a free-kick onto the roof of the net, but that was the closest we came in the first half. The second period started with a bang, as we opened the scoring within three minutes, Mirabelli and Turi combining to slide in Huckerby, and the winger bagged his 15th goal of what had been a superb season for him. I had been impressed with Houssine, the young Moroccan slotting into the team quite easily, and when Michael Jack replaced Mirabelli, he looked good too. It was the two youngsters that combined for the second, Houssine with a deft little reverse ball that let in Brazilian Nunes, and the big striker fired home like a true poacher. Perfect start after the break and just what we needed

Goals ; Huckerby 48, Paulo Nunes 73

I had been heartened by our win even more because our closest rivals, Cremonese, had been beaten, which had stretched our lead to an almost unassailable 20 points. I had been asked by the local paper to do an interview with them about the new chairman, and after confirming with him it was OK, I said to the paper that I was available to do the interview

The Vercelli News

Change afoot at Silvio Piola

Despite them sitting atop Serie C2/A with a 20 point lead, and looking like gaining promotion, aswell as breaking all sorts of club records, Pro Vercelli just cannot get out of the news. Former Chairman Bartolomeo Nino Prunelli has sold the majority shareholding in the club to Turin businessman Matteo Olivetti, and though he still has a role at the club, it has shocked many people

One person who is in the middle of it all is Vercelli boss Kevin Manson. Many take-overs result in managerial change, and we have asked Mr Manson whether he feels his job is in jeopardy

"No not really. I think the results themselves should be enough to keep me in a job but I spoke to Mr Olivetti when we returned from the winter break and he gave me his full backing. He has big plans for the club, with a plan in place to improve us, so I am, all for that"

"Obviously, it has been brilliant to enter the record books, what with the clean sheet run, and the unbeaten run, but there is still plenty of work to do. I have drilled that into the lads and they have responded brilliantly thus far"

Everybody in the town is behind the team, and it has been a long time since they had success like this on the pitch, so everybody is eager to see it carry on. With Manson in charge, success seems to be certain...

--

Serie C2/A ; Game 19

Pro Vercelli 3-0 Alessandria

I hadn't seen much of the new chairman, and I figured he had allowed me just to get on with the running of the team. That suited me, and I saw the boys ease to another victory. Paulo Nunes had almost had a new lease of life since returning, and he started well, bagging the opening goal after 18 minutes. I was a bit durprised when he stepped up to take the free-kick, but when I saw him flight the ball into the top corner, I was delighted. We were two ahead just five minutes later, Nunes laying the ball back to Turi, who played a reverse pass to Huckerby, and the winger drilled his shot low and hard into the bottom corner. Unfortunately, the lads eased off after the second, and incurred my wrath at half time. I didn't want to see that, I wanted them to take games by the scruff of the neck. They heard me, and created several good chances in the second half, but we only took one, Nunes heading home on 77 minutes to seal the points

Goals ; Paulo Nunes 18, 77, Huckerby 23

--

I had expected us to miss Teddy Lucic, who had started very well at Juventus, but Per Kroldrup had slotted in like he had been at the club for years. The young Dane had been superb since his arrival, and I was beginning to think he could be a long-term fixture in the team

"Mum and Dad really liked you"

We were sat in the flat eating dinner, and it was the conversation I had been expecting

"Good. I thought we got on well to be honest babe"

"So, where do we go from here?"

"In what sense?"

I actually had planned for this conversation, and I knew what I was going to say but I thought I'd play it out a little bit

"Well, we've been together a few months now. I think we're getting on well, and I like you. A lot"

"Well I like you too. And I have an idea"

Vittoria looked intrigued, so I smiled at her and gathered the plates up

"Tell me then?"

"Well, you spend enough time here with me. So, why don't you move in. Permanently?"

Her face lit up, as if she hadn't expected what I said to her, but I think I knew what her answer would be

"Really? You mean that darling?"

"Absolutely. Every word"

Vittoria had been excited about moving into the flat, so I left her to unpack her stuff while I concentrated on team affairs. You know what women are like, they love packing and unpacking. We had started with two successive wins after the winter break, and I was keen for the lads to keep that going

Serie C2/A ; Game 20

Prato 0-3 Pro Vercelli

I had told the boys that they just needed to keep doing what they were doing in the previous 19 games and promotion would be secured, and they took my advice with a pinch of salt. Mirabelli had started well since coming back refreshed, and he was our main man in this game. He hit the bar with a free-kick, and it was our 33 year old winger who won the penalty that led to the opener, as he used his quick feet, jinked in the box and was felled by the defender, and Jero Shakpoke slotted home the penalty. The Nigerian had surprised me with his penalty taking skills but he was yet to miss one so I was happy to let him carry on with his duties. We started the second half well too, and Walter doubled our advantage on 53 minutes, firing a low shot in off the post to seal the points. One more goal came from Huckerby ten minutes later, as he got in front of his man to head home from Walter's corner and keep us well on track

Goals ; Shakpoke pen. 30, Mirabelli 53, Huckerby 63

---

I had still yet to see much of the new chairman, just a passing hello in the corridor, or a quick how do you do at a game, and if truth be told, I wasn't too disappointed in that. I always liked to be in control of team affairs on my own, and it would be better if the chairman or the board never meddled in these affairs. However, I was used to a monthly meeting and had heard nothing regarding that. I did however, have a few ideas I wanted to discuss with Olivetti, so I decided to test the water and give these ideas to him, so I dialed his cell phone and waited to see

"Matteo Olivetti"

"Mr. Olivetti? It's Kevin Manson"

He sounded surprised to hear from me, never a good sign

"Oh, erm, Kevin. How are you?"

"I'm fine thankyou. I was just wondering if I could run a few things past you?"

There was a silence at the other end of the phone, before he finally said something

"OK. I'll pop into the stadium in a couple of days and we can run through it"

--

I felt that with the new injection from Olivetti, we could quite conceivably expand the stadium. We had a 9,000 seater stadium, and if we wanted to be a big club, we had to set up and prepare like a big club, so I was determined to advance our Silvio Piola ground and make it bigger. Plus, I felt we needed a youth academy. The chairman had said he wanted to make the club a success, so this would be a real indicator of his ambition

"So Kevin, what would you like to discuss?"

We sat in Olivetti's office, the chairman enjoying a glass of fine cognac while we talked

"Well, two main things really. I want us to be a big club, and for that, I feel we need to set up like a big club. So, what about expanding the stadium?"

"Not an option I'm afraid. The stadium is a perfect size for a Serie C club"

I looked at him in surprise. It wasn't the response I was expecting

"Right...but in two or three years, what is to say we won't be a Serie B club? We have to look ahead Matteo. Same with a Youth Academy. All the top teams have them, so we could maybe build one?"

"Again, not an option. Wouldn't get the planning permission"

I got up angrily, really annoyed at the lack of ambition I could see from my so called 'chairman'

"Jesus Christ Matteo. I thought you were ambitious. Is it just a joke to you, running a football club?"

"How dare you! You need to remember who you are talking to, Mr. Manson"

"Is that a threat? Well here's a promise Matteo. If you do anything to jeopardise this football club, it will be the last thing you ever do. Now that is a threat for you!"

I walked out and slammed the door behind me, leaving the chairman open mouthed and shocked. Maybe he wasn't used to being spoken to like that, but I will not see this club ruined

Serie C2/A ; Game 21

Pro Vercelli 2-1 Poggibonsi

This is probably the first time that we deserved to lose a game, as we were shocking right throughout the 90 minutes. We were hampered by two first half injuries, with Ciro Caruso and Paul Tierney both going off injured, and this set us back. We only really had one chance, a Nunes header that went straight into the 'keepers arms. We found ourselves behind at the break, a nice move from the visitors allowing Brunetti in, and he fired home into the corner past Pinheiro. I gave the lads a bollocking at half time, telling them to up their game, but in all fairness, we were stifled by the visiting team. Fair play to the lads though, they managed to come back and do the business, and goals from Huckerby and Paulo Nunes sealed us a very undeserved three points

Goals ; Brunetti 37, Huckerby 76, Paulo Nunes 89

---

After the Poggibonsi game, I decided to join the players at the local bar. Usually I didn't, but I knew Vittoria was going out with her friends so I decided to have a couple of celebratory beers. The bar was only a ten minute walk from the flat, so it wasn't too bad for me to get home. I had a good night with the lads, and I was quite happy for them to relax after a hard game, as long as they all turned up for training, and after four pints, I said my goodbyes and made my way home.

I was just turning into the road that led to the flat, when I heard a noise behind me. I turned around just in time to feel a sharp pain on the side of my head. Though I was hurt, I wasn't completely unconscious, and I managed to hear my attacker utter the words 'This is just a warning. Next time, you won't be so lucky', before he ran off and left me there. I managed to stagger to my feet and make it to the flat, and after washing the blood of my head and putting an icepack on it, I fell asleep in the couch

--

I had decided not to tell Vittoria about the incident, and instead opted to tell Jean-Marc. He knew all about the meeting (if that's the right word) with Olivetti, and we both agreed that it was too much of a coincidence to be an off the cuff attack. I decided to leave it for now, and just use all my energy on finishing off the business on the field

Serie C2/A ; Game 22

Pro Patria 1-1 Pro Vercelli

Tight game, the home side clearly intent on stopping any goalscoring threat we possessed, and that meant poor Paulo Nunes didn't get a kick all game. Well, of the ball at least. He managed to get kicked black and blue by the defenders, but fortunately Paulo is a tough lad and shook it off. We had a great start, Huckerby sliding us ahead after three minutes, but it was our inability to finish chances off that cost us in the match. Nunes, Huckerby, Turi and Houssine all missed excellent first half opportunities, but the worst culprit was Carlos Filipe. He found himself with an open goal, all the hard work done, and then fired his shot over the bar. The second half continued in the same vain, as we dominated, but yet again, we missed chance after chance, and we paid for it four minutes from time, Porfido receiving the ball and firing home past Hugo to grab his side a point

Goals ; Huckerby 3, Porfido 86

"Boss, you got five?"

Jean-Marc had popped into the office with his hand loaded with files. He knew he didn't have to ask, he could just come in, but it was in his nature to always ask

"Come in. What can I do for you?"

"Well, first things first, I've been doing some calculating, and if we win four more games, we win the League"

"Well I don't like to think of it like that, but when you say it that way, it sounds good"

"Well, seen as we look odds on for promotion, this..."

He dropped a file on my desk, aswell as a brown jiffy bag

"...has a few details on players I think could be worth signing, and there's a video with bits of their play on. Worth taking a look"

Now that is a dedicated assistant manager. Looking ahead to the next season already, even though we still had twelve games to play

--

I felt it was the right time to be looking at players in the current squad, and I felt several of them were worth tying down to long term contracts. Over the course of the next few games, I would be making a few notes and making sure I could seal a few long term signatures

Serie C2/A ; Game 23

Pro Vercelli 2-1 Pro Sesto

I think a few of the lads knew I was looking at extending deals, as several players I never expected had good games in the 90 minutes. One of these was Carlos Filipe. I had signed him as a short term option at the start of the season, but whenever he had come into the side he had never let me down, never had a bad game, and always given 100% and that is all I can ask. He even set up the first goal, picking up a rebound in the middle of the pitch and playing a ball over the top for the marauding Turi to finish. Stefano had been more used to making goals rather than scoring them, and he created his tenth assist just ten minutes later, a deft little pass allowing Huckerby to dink over the 'keeper and into the back of the net. In recent games, Federico Lazzeri had come to the fore, and the youngster had proved a useful back-up for my first choice defenders, so it was unfortunate for him that he lost the ball to allow Pontarollo the chance to pull a goal back, but it made no difference and we picked up the win

Goals ; Turi 30, Huckerby 40, Pontarollo 79

--

I was the last one in the ground, just finishing a few things off on my laptop, when I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I pulled it out to see Vittoria's name on the screen, so I flipped it up and answered it

"Hey babe. I won't be too..."

Her voice was panic-ridden, and she was crying down the phone. I immediately became concerned

"Someone's been in the flat. There's clothes everywhere, it's terrible Kevin, I can't stay here..."

"Vittoria, calm down. Slow down. Now, look around. Has anything been taken?"

She started to pull herself together, I could hear her doing her beathing exercises that she did to calm herself down

"I can't tell. I'm too nervous to be able to concentrate"

"Right. Go next door to Angelo's, get a coffee, and I'll be there as soon as I can OK?"

I hopped in my car and sped home, and as I walked into the flat, I noticed a few strange things. The door had been pryed open, not forced, and also, if it was a burglary, Vittoria's Michaelangelo painting in the hallway would have gone. That was worth almost a quarter of a million. That immediately made me suspicious. I spent ten minutes checking the flat, and I couldn't see anything that had gone missing. Vittoria had come back in halfway through, and she seemed to have calmed down a bit by then

"Did you call the Police?"

She shook her head

"I'll do it now"

"No leave it. Nothing has gone so we just need to tidy up. I'll find out who it was though, believe me"

"Don't go getting yourself into trouble babe"

I smiled to myself, and then flashed a toothy grin at Vittoria

"The only person in trouble will be the bastard who did this"

Serie C2/A ; Game 24

Biellese 1-1 Pro Vercelli

A sluggish performance from the lads. The worrying part of it was that we looked like we missed Scott. He had started every game this season and was looking tired, so I left him out of the squad but his presence left wuite a hole on the left. Mike Jack did fine, but Scott was always capable of providing a massive impact. It was Mirabelli who helped set up Paulo Nunes for the opener, his cross deflecting off the full back right into the Brazilian's path, and he finished it beautifully. The only problem with an early goal is that you have to take more chances or you could rue it, and this is (not for the first time either) exactly what we didn't do. We missed several opportunities, and we were made to regret it thirteen minutes from time, as Morandini scored with his first touch off the bench

Goals ; Paulo Nunes 6, Morandini 77

--

To ; J-MAdjBoc@Vercelli.mail.com

Cc ; Contract Renewals

----------------------------------------------

Jean-Marc

I've compiled a list of players who I think need (or deserve) a contract extension. I think it's important to tie these players down to show that we have ambition and drive to succeed

1) Scott Huckerby - He has been instrumental for us in many games, and with him only contracted for another 12 months, I feel he needs to be offered a contract extension. He isn't the sort of lad to hold us to ransom so don't envisage a problem

2) Paulo Nunes - The big Brazilian is a huge goal threat, and I feel that he is a vital part of the plans. He has stayed injury free recently and for that, I feel that he is crucial to secure down to a contract. Again, only has 12 months but may want more than the £1,800 were paying him

3) Hugo Pinheiro - Best signing bar none this season. Has kept 17 clean sheets, and I think a top class 'keeper is essential for a successful side. Is still young so I think as long as we can tie him down for, we should do. Again, only on £975, so may want a wage rise

4) Federico Lazzeri - Federico has really impressed of late, especially since Vladimir and Teddy left us. He has stepped up and played well, and though he has little experience, I have every confidence he will learn under our current crop of defenders. Still only 19 so anything over five years would be ideal

If you could get on it straightaway, I'd be grateful

Cheers

Kevin

--

Due to the tiredness of some of the players, I was desperate to tie up promotion and the title as quickly as possible, so I could rest some of the older lads and give some first team experience to the younger lads in the squad. Sam Parkin had been impressing in the reserves, bagging 13 goals, while young full back Emilio Brunti had been exceptional, and apparently interest was high from Serie A clubs. I was keen to have a look at him in first team action though

Serie C2/A ; Game 25

Pro Vercelli 2-0 Pavia

Very professional performance today, and Scott obviously benefitted from his rest, as he was our standout performer today. In the first half, he was terrorising the full back and whipping crosses in constantly, and Paulo Nunes must have had four decent chances to head us in front, including a glorious free header from six yards that he conceivably managed to put over the crossbar. His little smile said everything I needed to know, and I just had a sneaky feeling that it wasn't going to be our day. Fortunately, Scott's second half brace was enough to ease my worries. The first came on 68 minutes, a terrific quick free-kick, but the second was, for me, our goal of the season so far. It was a lovely passing move starting from the back, and after a sequence of 32 passes, Turi slid in Scott who slid past the 'keeper and slotted home. The fans appreciated such a goal and we saw ourselves go one win closer to our goal

Goals ; Huckerby 68, 86

We had managed to get the flat looking respectable, and sure nothing had been taken, we considered ourselves fortunate. However, I now knew that somebody was out to either teach me a lesson or had a vendetta against me. First the attack, and now the raid on the flat. I had an obvious suspicion about who it was that was instigating this, but I wasn't about to go accusing people. I was determined to find out who it was though. I understood that people were going to have problems with me, and that was fine. But when you take it onto the people I care about and come into my home, that is when I draw the line

I had spoken to Jean-Marc about the break in, and he was, as was I, that these were not random attacks. He made a suggestion that was, in all fairness, quite sensible

"Maybe it's time you spoke to Olivetti again?"

"I was thinking that, but I don't want to make it any worse. It's fair enough that people have problems with me but I don't want anything to happen to Vittoria"

He pondered this for a minute, his thinking face on, and his eyes widened as he thought of something

"Why don't you suggest she goes away somewhere. Maybe her parents?"

"How can I do that without telling her about the attack?"

"Hmmm. Maybe just say your worried about her safety after the break-in? Something along those lines?"

It was an idea, and I would certainly have to think of something. Or, I would have to put a stop to this before it gets any worse

Serie C2/A ; Game 26

Pro Vercelli 5-0 Viareggio

Our biggest crowd of the season saw us put in our best 90 minutes of the campaign, as we treated our 8,675 fans to a football feast. The visiting Viareggio side had no answer as we sent a sea of white shirts towards their goal 27 times. Paulo Nunes had shown signs of tiredness so To Madeira took his place, and the Portuguese striker showed a touch of class and just why he could play a crucial role for us. Stefano Turi continued his excellent season when he rammed us ahead on 12 minutes, combining well with Madeira and finishing like a striker would do. A landmark goal was our second, as Ciro Ferrara rose highest to power home a bullet header from Huckerby's corner, his first goal for the club and I believe his first for three years. That was the score at half time, but the second half turned into the To Madeira show. He scored within 23 seconds of the restart, spotting the 'keeper off his line and lofting home from 40 yards. That was an incredible goal, and his second just three minutes later was as good, as he got the ball with his back to goal, flicked it up, turned and volleyed into the bottom corner. Two terrific goals sealed us the win, and he became only the second player to bag a hat-trick this season when he slid home a fifth, avoiding the 'keeper and sliding underneath his body

Goals ; Turi 12, Ferrara 16, To Madeira 46, 49, 76

--

I was interested to know how Jean-Marc was getting along with the contract renewals, especially since we were just one win away from earning a place in the Serie C1. OK, so it wasn't the top flight, but hey, we got to start somewhere. The sooner we got that promotion secured, the sooner we could start preparing for the next season. I soon got my answer as I checked my e-mails, and soon saw that I had my response from my assistant

To ; K.Manson@Vercelli.mail.com

Re ; Contract Renewals

---------------------------------------------

Boss

I have some good news and I have some bad news regarding our contract talks with the players you mentioned. I also took the liberty of extending the contract of Emilio Brunti, and I think he could benefit from first team exposure this season

1) Scott Huckerby - Easiest contract signing ever. The lad wants to stay here, and we want him to stay here, so he has agreed a deal to 2007, £1,150 per week. He seems to hint at enjoying working for you so no problems whatsoever

2) Paulo Nunes - Unfortunately, I couldn't get Paulo to agree terms. He was asking for way too much money in my opinion (£6,500) and we just aren't prepared to offer that. He also seemed to indicate he felt he was ready for a move to a bigger club, so it might be worth cashing in on him in the summer

3) Hugo Pinheiro - Took some negotiation, but at £2,000 a week until 2007, I think we have a good deal. The lad loves playing, and he is grateful for us for giving him that opportunity. He will only get better with playing too

4) Federico Lazzeri - Federico was keen to sign a new deal, and he has committed to 2006. I think we have a possible star in the making here, and he has all the credentials to be a major player for the club

Incidentally, I also added an extra year to Jero Shakpoke's deal and he is now with us until 2006, so that's a bonus. I think we have a good spine of the team now, but maybe time to find a replacement for Paulo?

Cheers

Jean-Marc

Cheers hedger, glad you're enjoying the off field part of the story. I've really tried to make it interesting and not just focus on the football aspect of things, as I think that makes a better story for the reader

---

On the trip down to Novara, I decided to give the players a bit of a pep talk. I knew this was it, the biggest game of the season, and probably the biggest game in the club's recent history. I stood up at the front of the coach, picking up the microphone, and started to relay my speech

"Lads, if I could have your attention for two minutes?"

All the players looked up from their card schools, or took their headphones out and put their papers down, and all stared intently at me

"Sorry to disrupt you, but I just wanted to say a few words. It has been an absolute pleasure to manage you all so far this season, and the footballing side of things has gone way beyond my wildest dreams. We are about to play our 27th League game of the season, and as some of you may or may not be aware, if we win, we are promoted. Now, you deserve this. All of you. All I want you to remember is that you are doing it for yourselves. Not me, not Jean-Marc, not the board. You. This club has the chance to do something big here, now lets show the rest of Italy what little Pro Vercelli is about"

The cheers rose from the back of the coach, and the mexican wave led by captain Mirabelli was a nice touch. I knew that the lads would be capable of winning the game, and I wanted them to show the rest of the country what they were about

Serie C2/A ; Game 27

Novara 0-3 Pro Vercelli

Well, we did it. After 23 wins and four draws, we have secured the Serie C2/A title. Little Pro Vercelli have earnt their first silverware for 80 years. I am so proud and so pleased with the players. They have earnt everything they got this season, and I thought it was fitting that our player of the season Scott Huckerby grabbed two of our three. He got the first after 32 minutes, his typical darting run allowing him to curl home into the bottom corner. 1-0 was the half time score, but it took 15 minutes of the second period to secure us the points and the title, To Madeira's flick on falling to Scott and he was as clinical as ever, firing home with a first time left footed shot past the 'keeper. Our Portuguese striker continued where he left off after his hat-trick, slotting home nicely for our third, and though we only had 234 fans with us, I swear I could hear the cheers from Silvio Piola at the final whistle. What a day for the club

Goals ; Huckerby 32, 59, To Madeira 73

---

I was delighted to have sealed the League and our promotion, but to have done it with seven more games left in the season was a remarkable achievement. I was now ready to give some of the younger players a taste of first team action, especially full back Brunti, who had been the talk of the coaching staff in recent weeks.

With the transfer window fully closed, there was to be no more transfers for the club until the pre-season, but I was already working on transfer targets to strengthen the squad for our Serie C1 campaign. I had however, had a phone call from Real Madrid (who ever thought that Real Madrid would be calling Pro Vercelli?) They had been watching the performances of Paulo Nunes, and were prepared to offer £2,000,000 for his services. It was another amount of money I could not afford to turn down. Having not paid anything for Paulo, to make a £2 million profit was a no-brainer really. I knew our striker would not turn down that move, as anybody with half a brain cell would want to play for Real Madrid, so I had to prepare for life without him next year

Agreed, of course the football side of things needs to be interesting but it's not easy to build a strong storyline through just football and off the field events just adds another dimension to the story and makes it a lot more enjoyable to read. I never really like reading stories and read through a hundred match reports with no storyline.

And congrats on the promotion, unfortunate losing Nunes after an impressive season but 2M is a fair price and especially after not being able to sign a new contract and you can probably find a decent replacement with that money.

btw, what game are you using?

I agree, just pure footballing stories can sometimes be repetitive and it needs an off the field story to make it more interesting for the reader. Incidentally, I'm using CM2001/02, which is my 'go-to' game. It's the one game that I play constantly, as it is my favourite incarnation of the series

As regarding Nunes, once he turned the contract down, I couldn't reject the money, but I'm sure I can put it to good use...

---

The Vercelli Times

Manson Secures Historic Win

The people of Pro Vercelli were celebrating today, as Kevin Manson guided the team to the Serie C2/A title. It is a fabulous achievement for a team of which nothing was expected, and surely just consolidation is the goal for next season? We have managed to secure an interview with the new hero of Vercelli, Kevin Manson

"I'm absolutely delighted. Not just for the players and the staff, but the fans aswell. The players have worked so hard for this, and they deserve every moment of it. Now, we just have to start building for next sure, make sure we know what our goals are and show how far we have actually come"

"To secure the title with seven games left is a remarkable feat, and now, our goal is to try and maintain our unbeaten run to the end of the season. Now that would be a feat wouldn't it?"

Manson is quickly proving himself very capable as a manager, the question remains as to whether he can do the same in a Division higher than what they are used to playing. That said, many a side have come up both C Divisions successively so that could be a possibility too

Serie C2/A ; Game 28

Pro Vercelli 3-1 Legnano

Brunti and Lazzeri both started this game, and with Nunes looking like he was on the way out, To Madeira was allowed the opportunity to continue his recent good form. Lazzeri was a powerful figure at the back, but it was in the opposition penalty box he made his impact, as he rose highest to power home his first goal in professional football. He seemed to thrive playing alongside Ferrara, as the older man guided him through beautifully, but even that wasn't enough to stop Legnano equalising, Jederosa hitting a deflected shot into the net past Pinheiro. It was Lazzeri's long ball that led to the second, as Turi collected his pass, was felled inside the box and Shakpoke continued his perfect record from the spot to double our lead and send us in at the break 2-1 ahead. Our on-form Portugal striker To Madeira sealed the points midway through the second half, finishing like a typical poacher, and we looked set to continue our unbeaten record

Goals ; Lazzeri 14, Jederosa 43, Shakpoke pen. 45+1, To Madeira 72

--

I was sat in the flat enjoying a nice cooked breakfast (a luxury I never got anymore), when the phone rang. Vittoria had left for work so I wondered who would be ringing the flat, as nine times out of ten, it was for her

"Hello"

Nothing. All I could hear was breathing down the phone

"Hello"

"Do you think that's it? You think you're in the clear? Well you're not"

"Who is this?"

Laughter echoed down the phone, a maniacal, evil laughter that made my stomach churn

"That, Mr. Manson, is something you may never know. That lovely partner of yours, Ok is she?"

"You son of a bitch. How dare you talk about her like that!"

More of that maniacal laughter. It really was bone chilling

"Well maybe you should grow eyes in the back of your head. Are you safe do you think? I'll leave that one with you..."

And with that, the line went dead

I was left holding the receiver in my hand, shocked as to what had just happened. I immediately phoned through to Vittoria's mobile phone

"Hi sweetheart"

"Is there anywhere you can stay for a few days?"

"What? What are you..."

"I can't explain over the phone. Do you have anywhere you can stay for a few days?"

I could hear her pen tapping the phone while she thought about it

"Yes, I could go to..."

"No. Don't tell me where. Just contact them, and make sure you go there after work OK? Text me with where you are and I'll bring some stuff

to you. I'll explain later. Love you"

"Love you too"

I felt terrible for having to put her through that but I felt that I had no other choice. She wasn't safe in the flat, and I had to ensure her safety before anything else

Paulo had agreed his move to Madrid, and I wished him all the best. He assured me he was ready to play in the remainder of the games though, as he wanted to finish with a bang. That said, I took him at his word and decided to put him in the starting line-up for the away trip to Meda, and the impressive Lazzeri and Brunti also kept their places

Serie C2/A ; Game 29

Meda 0-4 Pro Vercelli

Paulo had said he was in the right frame of mind to start the game, and he proved to me that he was, as he grabbed a first half brace to put us well in control. His first came after just a minute and thirteen seconds, latching onto a poor backpass before neatly finishing. He was an excellent finisher, and it was a shame to be losing him but I didn't hold any grudges. His second came ten minutes later, Mirabelli's flick on landing at his feet and again, he finished beautifully to seal the game after twelve minutes. He missed a glorious chance for the hat-trick too, as he blazed over from six yards stretching for a cross. It looked like we would be 2-0 ahead at half time, but thanks to Huckerby, we made it three, the winger curling in a free kick from the edge of the 'D'. He also grabbed a second in the second period, latching on to To Madeira's pass and rounding the 'keeper, sealing the points and giving us yet another three points

Goals ; Paulo Nunes 2, 12, Huckerby 45+2, 69

---

"Boss, can I have a word?"

Walter Mirabelli had popped his head into my office two days after the game, and he had a noticeable limp

"Sure. What's wrong Walter?"

"Well, to be honest, I've been doing some thinking over the last few weeks. I've loved every minute of this season, and though I love what I do,

the fact is, I'm not getting any younger"

I was not too surprised. I had been waiting for this. Walter had always needed a few days to recover after a game, and though he had been a

good performer, his legs were struggling

"OK. Carry on"

"Well, I think the end of this season would be a perfect time for me to hang up my boots. I'm 33, 34 in two months, and I just need to leave the game behind, be with my family"

"If that's the case Walter, then you deserve it"

He smiled, pushing his hand forward towards me. I accepted the handshake, giving him my best wishes for his future

"Thanks boss"

---

Vittoria had been staying at her friends house a few miles away, and when I had explained to her why I needed her there, she was understanding. Annoyed I hadn't told her about the attack when it first happened, but understanding. I had asked her if she would stay until I was sure it was safe for her to return. She was reluctant, but her safety was my priority, and I think deep down, she understood that.

I was however, determined to find out who it was that had a vendetta against me, and I decided to start with my so called 'chairman' Olivetti

"Matteo Olivetti"

"Olivetti? It's Kevin Manson"

A snort came from the other end of the phone

"And what do you want? More requests that are implausible"

I could feel the anger and the hatred towards this man building up inside me

"Don't get smart with me you bastard, or I will start to get angry. Meet me today, 5.30, Mario's Wine Bar"

"I'm sorry, I'm busy..."

"It's not a request Olivetti. I'm telling you to be there. If you aren't, I'll come and find you. Got that?"

I slammed the phone down, and somehow, I just knew he would be there

--

I sat in Mario's, a glass of Red in front of me, checking my watch constantly. It was 5.41 when Olivetti walked through the door, and he

immediately walked over to the table

"Well?"

"Right, well I will cut straight to the point. Someone has a vendetta against me. That's fine, but they're bringing my partner into it. That's not

on"

I was starting to get infuriated at him when he smiled at me

"And you think it's me? Listen to me Manson, I hate you. The only reason I haven't sacked you is because you're doing a good job. If I had a problem with you, I would tell you to your face"

Now I hated the bastard sat in front of me, but as it was, I actually believed him. I didn't want to be in his company any longer than I had to, so I left as quickly as I could

Serie C2/A ; Game 30

Pro Vercelli 1-2 Montevarchi

I was well and truly disappointed to lose our unbeaten record, especially so close to the end of the season, but fortunately, it made no difference. To be honest, it was the worst start that we had made all season. Before the quarter of an hour mark, we were 2-0 down. Jero Shakpoke gave away a penalty, although he was convinced he touched the ball, before Vigna cooly slotted it home, before Garnieri hit a stunning second, his 35 yard strike flying past Pinheiro. That left us a real mountain to climb, and though we tried, all credit to our opponents, who were terrific at the back, not allowing us any room to play. We did get one back in the second half, Paulo Nunes finishing off the rebound from Huckerby's shot, but it wasn't enough and we suffered our first League defeat

Goals ; Migna pen. 10, Garnieri 13, Paulo Nunes 53

--

I was quite fortunate that I had kept up my friendship with Bartolomeo, and I still spoke to him about club affairs. I wanted him back as the chairman. He was supportive, understanding. He knew how to run a football club, rather than Olivetti. He was in it for the money and the fame, not the good of the club.

I was asking Bartolomeo to but back his share of the club, but he said he couldn't do it. He was happy how he was now, just enjoying his time, a minimal stake in the club. I explained that the new man wasn't good for the club, he wasn't what the club needed, but Bartolomeo was adamant he was happy. That was not what I wanted to hear, but I couldn't make him return to the club

--

The close season would see all the players go on holiday, rest, have time to recove, and I felt that it was about time for me and Vittoria to head to England and meet my parents. I had kept in regular contact, and they knew all about her, so I think it was about time for me to take her over to meet them. I had run the idea by her, and she was keen on it, so I had booked the flights, and before I arranged a hotel, I spoke to my mum, and she confirmed that there was a spare room in the house. I didn't think it appropriate that we stayed ther though, so I went ahead and booked the hotel. I was preparing to leave the office one morning when the phone rang

"Kevin Manson's office"

"Son. It's your Dad"

Like I wouldn't have known when he called me son?

"Hey Dad. What's up?"

"I was wondering if you had plans for when you came up?"

"Not really, just go with the flow. Why?"

"Well why don't we catch a game? The Play-Off final is at Wembley, and there's a chance that Peterborough might be in it. Fancy going?"

I smiled to myself. The old fella wasn't daft. He knew that I always wanted to go to Wembley, having never been in my career, and he always had a soft spot for Peterborough

"Sure thing Dad. Get the tickets and we can go to the game"

"OK. Well your mother wants to take Vittoria on a girly pamper day, so we'll let them do that while we have a football day"

Typical Mum. She always wanted me to get settled down, and now I was, she was acting like the mother-in-law. I had to smile to myself. She never changes

Serie C2/A ; Game 31

Cremonese 0-0 Pro Vercelli

Pretty poor game from both sides. We looked like we were ready for the end of the season and our holidays, our passing in the final third was that bad. We defended well, but going forward it was possibly our worst performance. Paulo was dropped to the bench for the game, and To Madeira just couldn't get a chance on goal. To be fair to the home side, they were excellent, and I was really impressed with the way they played. Hugo had to earn his stripes in the game, and he made several good saves to keep us in it. I've never been more glad to hear a full time whistle and never been more glad of a point, one which it's fair to say wasn't deserved, and if we had lost, it wouldn't have been the wrong result

--

We were both looking forward to our summer break, and if truth be told, we needed it. We had worked hard over the course of the last few months, and we both deserved the break. I did however, have a bit more to do before the end of the season, and that started with the financial figures. I had been asked by the chairman (and I use that term loosely) to meet him and his financial advisor, so myself and Jean-Marc headed into the meeting prepared for the worst

I had met the financial advisor before, so wasn't surprised to see him there, but I was surprised to see a third man in the room, one that I didn't recognise. We walked in and were greeted by Olivetti, and we sat down ready to hear the financial report.

"Thankyou for coming gentlemen. First things first, you may both be pleased to know that I am no longer your chairman"

I tried to disguise my smile with a look of surprise, but I was concerned I didn't manage it. Olivetti continued on

"I spoke to my accountant, and he feels that running a football club is not in my best interests. So, I would like you to welcome Vicenzo Prunelli"

"Prunelli? Are you...?"

The younger man smiled. A wide, toothy smile that said everything

"My father hired you. He convinced me to take the kind offer of Mr Olivetti, and he also assured me that you are the best thing to happen to the club. We have Vercelli in our blood, and we want the best for this football club"

I smiled. Maybe, just maybe, things were starting to look up

"Well Mr. Prunelli, it's a pleasure to have you here. I am ready to take this club to the highest level, and I feel it is quite conceivable, as long as I have your support?"

"You have my full support. And please, call me Vicenzo. I just have a couple of conditions that I require of you"

"Fire away Vicenzo"

He pulled a pair of glasses out of his top pocket. Olivetti had bid his goodbyes, and I would never see him again, but I was more concerned with the new chairman now, and where his ambitions lay

"First, I will require a monthly report. Just a file on how the coaching staff are performing, the players morale, training regimes, things like that. I like to know how all my staff are working. Secondly, I will require patience from you. I have plans in place, but I believe it is necessary to have a ten year plan. I have already applied for planning permission for a Youth Development Centre, all I need is you to accept my word that this club is on the rise"

I smiled to myself. This was exactly what I needed. It couldn't have made me happier, and I just felt that finally, we were in the right mindset. I could enjoy my summer even more than I was going to anyway now

Serie C2/A ; Game 32

Pro Vercelli 4-1 Rondinella

The new chairman had introduced himself to the players, and his presence around the ground just made everybody happy. His cheerful demeanour, and his positive attitude rubbed off on everybody. This showed in the attitude of the players, as they comfortably saw off Rondinelle. We did fall behind though, as D'Arienco headed Rondinella ahead. We were level within two minutes, Paulo Nunes firing home from 12 yards, and two goals in first half injury time settled the result, as Mirabelli and then Scott Huckerby extended our lead and allowed us the three points. We had a poor second half, but we did get a fourth just before full time, Huckerby jinking into the box and slotting beautifully into the bottom corner to seal us a comfortable win and give us three points in front of the new chairman

Goals ; D'Arienco 23, Paulo Nunes 25, Mirabelli 45, Huckerby 45+2, 89

In the space of a few days, I had already seen Vicenzo more than I had Olivetti, so I knew that he was serious when he talked about improving the club. I was sure that we had what it took to not only survive in the next division, but to maybe shock a few people. I had seen the plans for the youth development centre, and it looked like it was state of the art. It would be almost three years before it was fully developed, but it was sure to be a future investment for the club.

I had recieved a letter from the F.A a few days later, and it was informing me that myself and three other players had been invited to the end of awards dinner, at the Turin Ballroom. Two of the invitations were for Scott Huckerby, who had been nominated in the voting for Player's player of the year, and Stefano Turi, who was up for Player of the year, while I myself had been nominated for Manager of the year. I wasn't overly concerned with whether I won or not, but I was pleased for the lads who had been nominated, as they had both been integral parts of our successful season. As for the fourth ticket, I felt it was only appropriate that it went to our soon to be retiring captain, Walter Mirabelli, as it would be a lovely send-off for him. He had been another key player for us, and I felt his last season would be one he remembered

--

"I can't wait to meet your parents"

Vittoria was back in the flat, having not heard anything since the phone call a few weeks back, and I have to be honest, it was lovely to have her back

"They're looking forward to meeting you too. They've always wanted me to settle down with someone"

I said that with a wink, but sharp as a tack, she responded just as quick

"Well they'll be waiting a while then won't they?"

We both laughed together, before she asked a question that, to be honest, I hadn't really thought about

"Are they bothered about the age difference?"

"Well I told them, and they haven't said anything, so I wouldn't have thought so. No reason for them to be really is there?"

She always made me laugh, worrying about the little things in life

Serie C2/A ; Game 33

Valenzana 1-2 Pro Vercelli

Professional and thorough job today. To Madeira took advantage of his opportunity in the team, obviously wanting to show me that we didn't need a replacement for Nunes, that he was ready made. Again, we found ourselves behind, the wet pitch seeing a defensive slip, and Berarda capitalised, lofting over the advanced Pinheiro to send the home side ahead. It took less than three minutes for us to level it though, as our Portuguese striker took the ball and curled it home beautifully. He did have finishing ability and could quite conceivably be our number one striker, but he did have work to do. Chances fell our way through the game, but we only found the net once more, which was three minutes after the break, To Madeira again finding himself free in the box, and he had enough time to take a touch and fire home. He should have had a hat-trick, missing a glorious chance five minutes from the end, but 2-1 was good enough

Goals ; Berarda 7, To Madeira 10, 48

--

We had been through a long hard season, and I was quite drained to tell the truth. We had one more game, then the end of season awards, then I could relax in England for a week or so. The summer break was just short of three months, which was plenty of time, to relax, but I had set the return date for training for July 12th. That was a week earlier than what they were used to, but I had a good reason for this, as I wanted to do a week's worth of fitness to get the players back into the swing of things

I also felt it might be difficult to gel the new players into the squad over the summer, especially if we had too many new lads. We didn't need that many I didn't think, but it was key to get some new and quality additions to push us that bit further on in the next divisions. We had some good players already, and now we had a chairman who had big ideas, and big plans for the club.

--

I had spoken to Dad regularly in the recent weeks, and he had told me that Mum was running around like a headless chicken, trying to get the house clean and in decent condition for when we arrived. It was typical mum, but I had told Dad there was no need for that. We weren't too bothered about that, and we wanted to see them, not a clean house. I had never been too close with my Dad in my childhood, nor my mum really for that matter, but I felt that it was time I grew closer to them. Even though I was living in Italy, I just felt that, at 34, it was time my parents got to know me even better than they already do

I had been a mischievious child, but nothing too serious. My grades had been average, and I never really had an aptitude for studying. Playing sports, particularly football and rugby, was always my passion, and I would spend many a day gazing out at the lads doing P.E, wishing I could join them. I was always the first one on the field at lunch, and the last one off, and I took many a telling off for dirtying my uniform through sliding and diving about

I had no brothers and sisters, which is why it was strange that I never had a really close relationship with either parent, but this was mainly because when I turned 15, I signed on for Oldham, and started a life of my own. My footballing career wasn't the career of a superstar, as I spent my years trundling around the lower leagues, but I always found a passion for coaching. My parents had always supported me, whatever choices in life i took, and for that I always had them to thank

Mark - No the defeat didn't make any difference as we had already secured the promotion by then, but a big fat nought in the defeats column would have been nice I have to admit. Glad you're still enjoying this

---

Serie C2/A ; Game 34

Pro Vercelli 5-0 Castelnuovo

This was the game in which To Madeira stepped up to the plate and proved himself to be the ideal man to replace Paulo Nunes after his departure. He scored all five of our goals as we destroyed Castelnuovo and ended the season on a high note. The game was sealed by half time, as our Portuguese striker headed the opener on ten minutes, before turning his marker and firing home. His hat-trick was completed just before the break, as he capitalised on a mistake in the defence, which allowed him to slot home into the bottom corner. The second half was one of the most professional 45 minutes we had played, as we controlled the game with composure and ease that bestowed a title winning side. Two more goals followed too, as To Madeira volleyed home from the edge of the box just after the break, and then added his, and our fifth to sign us off with a perfect performance

Goals ; To Madeira 10, 32, 44, 48, 90+2

--

With the season ended, all we had left was the end of season awards ceremony, and though I just wanted to relax and enjoy my summer, I felt like I had to go. Fortunately, we weren't un-rewarded, as Scott Huckerby picked up a well deserved Player of the Season award, thanks to his tally of 27 goals and 12 assists, while Stefano Turi had to settle for second place in his category. I was a bit shocked how I didn't win Manager of the Year, but I couldn't say I was too disappointed. It didn't matter to me.

The season had gone better than I ever could have imagined, and when I sat in the seat of the plane, ready to head home and see Mum and Dad, I took time to reflect on what we had just achieved. To go through a 34 game season and lose just once was quite remarkable, and it made me damn proud to have been a part of it. Now it was time to enoy myself, and for the players to have a well deserved break, before we came back and the hard work started again

--

I stepped off the plane with Vittoria, hand in hand, and I have to say, it was nice to be back in Blighty, even if it was for a week. Mum and Dad were waiting for us in the baggage area, and the hugs all round that we received were warm. Vittoria and Mum made a bee-line for each other, while Dad and myself were left carrying the bags (there's a surprise). We spent the first couple of days just catching up, chatting, while the women had girly days, but on the second nigh, Dad took me to the local, the Hare and Hounds. It reminded me of when I was younger, seeing him come in from the pub, and knowing that the following day we were due to watch Peterborough take on Blackpool in the play-off final. Leaving early with our scarves, our hats and coats on, I was suddenly reminded of my first ever football game. Dad had taken to me Maine Road, when I was 7, to watch Manchester City beat Spurs 5-2. It had been the moment that got me hooked on the game, and without it, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be where I am now

We stood at the bar in the Green Man Pub, mingling with other Peterborough fans, when two blokes came over to the bar and started shaking hands with my Dad

"Terry Manson. How you doing my old mucker?"

"Alright lads. I'm good, just come to watch the mighty Posh with the lad"

Laughter roared from one of the other lads, and he immediately turned to look at me

"This your lad?"

"Aye that's him"

"Bloody hell son, it's been a while. What you up to nowadays?"

I chuckled to myself. Here was the age old question

"Well I'm coaching now. In Italy, little side called Pro Vercelli"

We spent the next twenty minutes laughing and joking, before Dad and myself headed off the the ground. It was a mighty sight to see the Twin Towers, and all I could hope was that Peterborough could do the job to send my Dad home in a good mood

It was a much better game than I expected, as both sides put on a show for the spectators. Blackpool took an early lead, Brett Ormerod and Danny Coid combining for the striker to head home his 23rd of the season, and he almost doubled the lead soon after, forcing a good save from Will Gueret. The second half saw Peterborough come out all guns blazing, and goals from Shane Tolley, Neil Roberts and Steve Soley shot them into a 3-1 lead with just seventeen minutes left. The Northerners weren't finished yet though, as Ormerod and Martin Bullock levelled things up to take the game into extra time. I don't think it was doing Dad's heart much good, but he at least left with a smile on his face, Neil Roberts heading

home the winner on 119 minutes to secure them promotion and make at least one 59 year old man very happy (Dad obviously, not me)

I had enjoyed spending the week at home, and seeing Mum and Dad was always nice. When the time came for Vittoria and myself to return to Italy, we said our goodbyes, promising to visit more regularly, and I also insisted that both my parents should come to Italy. They agreed, and we left having had a wonderful week. When we landed back in Italy, it was only on the drive back to the flat that I realised just what a beautiful and picturesque little town Vercelli is. It was beautifully constructed, with a lovely grren image, trees and shrubbery all over the town, and I was a lucky man to be living here. I had a beautiful home, a beautiful woman, and I was coaching a football team. Could I ask for anymore?

It didn't take me long to take out my laptop and start work, even though we were not officially back for another two weeks. I had e-mailed all the staff, wishing them a pleasant holiday, and also giving them the return date. I didn't expect them to do any work during the summer, because, well, it was their time, so imagine my surprise when I open my computer to an e-mail from Jean-Marc

--

To ; K.Manson@Vercelli.mail.com

Cc ; Possible Transfer Targets

--------------------------------------------------

Boss

Sorry to interupt you on your holiday, but you know me, I can't just sit and do nothing. I've been doing some research and on the attachment, there are videos and files on players who I believe would be excellent additions to the squad

I also spoke to the chairman, and he has given me the financial report for the upcoming season, with spending money available, the wage budget, and the progress on the Youth Centre

Also, I think it might be useful for the staff to meet a couple of days before the players, as I have a few new training schedules to discuss with you all

Financial Reports

Wage Budget ; £75,000

Current Wage Spending ; £57,000

--

Transfer Budget ; £1,200,000

(This doesn't include sales from the likes of Paulo either)

Cheers

Jean-Marc

---

I was amazed at the dedication shown by my assistant, and I felt that I had really found a gem of a man in Jean-Marc. I fired off a reply to his e-mail, before having a look at the attachment that he had sent me, and I found out that he had been a busy boy over the last week, as there were several players on the list, many of whom looked very promising

I spent the next ten days before the satff got together working tirelessly to secure some new players for our relatively threadbare squad (we only had 23 players registered), and due to the skills of myself and my staff, I managed to secure eight new signings for the club. The first was Bari midfielder Hany Said. The Egyptian was versatile, and a tough man to boot, so to capture him on a free transfer was a boost. He would boost our midfield options but could also play in defence if needed so it was a signing that was necessary. Another Serie B player followed soon after, as Cagliari's Jason Mayele signed a three year deal. He was an attack minded right sided midfielder, and with 23 caps for Cameroon, aswell as over 100 games in the top two divisions, he would provide us with some well needed experience. The same would be said for possibly the most experienced player we signed, as Juventus full back Alessandro Birindelli became our third free transfer. He had over 300 games under his belt for Juve, aswell as several caps for Italy, so I was delighted to capture him. Our first money signing was a familiar one to me and everybody else at the club, as Houssine made his loan permanent. He had impressed everybody last season, and I had no problem paying the £600,000 fee he commanded. Icelandic full back Sturlauger Haraldsson also joined on a free transfer, and he would give us some pace and flair down the left hand side, and he was probably the most attack minded defender we had. He was followed by another left back, although former Real Madrid man Javier Dorado was alot more defense minded and he was a signing I was very excited about. We also paid £250,000 for another of our African contingent, as Catania forward Christian Kanyengele made his move. I felt he would provide us with another good attacking option, and though I was aware of his reputation, I decided to take the chance. Finally, we secured the season long loan of promising youngster Simone Perrotta from Chievo, who would give us a real steel in the midfield, and he was certainly not scared of putting in a tackle. Overall I was happy with the nature of these signings, but I would still be on the lookout for other additions to the squad

Mark - No the defeat didn't make any difference as we had already secured the promotion by then, but a big fat nought in the defeats column would have been nice I have to admit. Glad you're still enjoying this

Whats not to enjoy about this story....

Why did you post that bit twice :p (A couple of updates ago)

Mark - Cheers, really enjoying playing and writing this one

Hedger - I think Mark re-posted it to comment on the quote

---

Once again, as we were still in Serie C, we had the Serie C Cup to start the season, and it was for this reason that I decided not to arrange any pre-season friendlies. I had no desire whatsoever to win this competition, but I felt that the four group games could be used as our friendlies, and a chance for the players to get themselves some fitness and time together on the field. I had run this through the staff, and the chairman, and they were all happy with that, but I was summoned to a chairman's meeting just a few hours later, so I headed to his office in anticipation

"You wanted to see me?"

"Yes, Kevin, come in"

I took a seat opposite him, my hands crossed and the nerves festering in the pit of my stomach. I had been in this job a year now, I don't know why I still got nervous meeting the chairman

"Now, I just wanted to inform you that the Youth Centre is well under way, and we estimate it should be completed by January 23rd"

"That's good news. Hopefully that will provide a stepping stone for nurturing our younger talent"

He nodded, before opening a couple of folders on the desk

"Now, as for the signings you've made. I'm pleased to see that even though you have added several players to the squad, we are still well under wage budget"

"Well it is essential that even though we are making progress, we must stick to a strict financial regime"

I was pleased that the chairman was on the same wavelength as I was, and as I left the office, a smile broke across my face. I couldn't wait to get the season started, and though I did have a few selection dilemmas, they were the sort of dilemmas that a manager want to have, as I had a good enough squad to field two different teams. It wasn't until we were actually on the road on the way to face Martina that I finally decided on my first eleven for the match

Serie C Cup Group G ; Game 1

Martina 1-3 Pro Vercelli

Of the new signings, all eight were in the squad, but only Birindelli, Mayele and Perrotta started, although it didn't take long for Hany Said's introduction through injury. We got off to a flying start, Scott Huckerby continuing his form from the season before, receiving the ball from Mayele, cutting inside and firing home. However, we slowed the pace a little after the goal, which annoyed me, and we paid for it, as we gave the penalty away, Lazzeri bringing down the attacker and Ambrogioni sliding home into the goal. It took a little shouting from me, and less than two minutes, and Birindelli's debut goal got us back ahead, the defender rising highest to meet Turi's corner. Fortunately, we managed to control the game after that, and when Birindelli's long ball found Turi, who slipped in Huckerby for a third, that settled it and we started the season with a win

Goals ; Huckerby 3, 56, Ambrogioni pen. 31, Birindelli 33

--

"Darling, what would you like for your birthday?"

We were sat eating dinner, and with my birthday coming up at the end of the month, I had been waiting for this question

"Nothing in particular. Just get whatever you think I'd like"

"Oh come on, that isn't an answer"

I just smiled to myself. Typical

"Alright then, well how about getting me some aftershave? I'm running low anyway so that will do me"

Vittoria just shook her head, walking off with a smile on her face

--

I was glad to be underway with the season, as there was always nothing worse than waiting for that first game to come up. I was, if I'm honest, completely unsure what to expect from the league campaign. We were still in Serie C, but I didn't know if the standard of Serie C1 was much better than C2, or if it was similar. I had prepared the squad as if they were making a huge leap into the next division, and I just felt that if we could survive, maybe avoid the play-offs for relegation, we could be pleased with the season we had. Obviously, as I have already stated, the Serie C Cup was a competition I had no desire to win, but I had to play the first teamers to get them fit and ready for the league season

With the Youth Development Centre coming on nicely, I had set the scouts several tasks, and one of these was to look for promising youngsters that we could provide for the centre. However, two of our youngsters we already had, Lazzeri and Brunti, were attracting attention from bigger sides, so I felt we would have a struggle on our hands to keep hold of them. I would certainly be trying my best though, as it was essential for us to keep our best players if we wanted to progress.

Serie C Cup Group G ; Game 2

Pro Vercelli 3-1 Poggibonsi

We had played Poggibonsi last year to open our season and destroyed them 4-0, and we were almost as good here. I was however, a little concerned about some of oue defensive lapses, but then I realised that our clean sheet run last season was, well, a one off thing. Huckerby started us off well yet again, netting his thirtieth goal for the club in the tenth minute. We doubled our lead eight minutes later, To Madeira heading home Mayele's cross. I was hoping our Portuguese striker would stand up and be counted this season, especially with the loss of Nunes, and I was looking for a 20-25 goal season from him. We controlled the game after that, not allowing the visitors even a sniff of a chance, and though we didn't create too many chances, we got a chance to score a third when a handball in the box saw Jason Mayele step up to take the penalty. However, he hit the post, but the ball fell straight to him and he hammered in the rebound to seal the game. Again though, we allowed the opponents a ggoal, and Gemmi's consolation took the gloss off the scoreline

Goals ; Huckerby 10, To Madeira 18, Mayele 62, Gemmi 76

--

The new lads had all made their debuts by this point, and they all seemed to be gelling well, and there were some of them that I expected big things from. Birindelli would bring a wealth of experience, as did Ciro Ferrara, and it was the big centre back who popped his head around my office door just after the second game

"Boss, can I see you for five minutes?"

"Sure thing Ciro, take a seat"

The big man struggled himself into the rather small office chair opposite me, and once he got comfortable, I dived straight into it

"What can I do for you?"

"Well, as you know, I finished my UEFA 'Pro' Licence over the summer, and I'll be looking to get my 'Gold' Licence next summer"

"OK. Of course, we will support you for that?"

"I know that. Well, I think this will be my last season as a player. In fact, I'm pretty sure of it. So, if you want me to remain as a coach, I'd be more than happy"

I smiled to myself. I had been secretly expecting him to return to Juventus but I was delighted to be able to secure his coaching services

"Ciro, I'd be delighted if you remained here as a coach. When we renew the contract situation in January, we will sort out a role for you OK?"

"Perfect. Thanks boss"

He left a happy man, and to be honest, I felt it was a big coup for the club. He had obviously seen what we were building here, and felt that he wanted to be a part of it, so to secure him, with all his experience in the game, as one of our coaches would be a brilliant acquisition for the club

--

Vittoria had given me the choice of going out to eat for my birthday, or she would stay in and cook for me, and to be honest, the price you pay for food, it just isn't worth it anymore, so I opted for us to stay in and eat. She didn't tell me what she was going to cook, but I usually liked what she made anyway so I wasn't too worried. Not unless I've done something bad and she's going to poison me...

Hedger - You will have to keep reading to find out...

---

Serie C Cup Group G ; Game 3

Poggese 3-3 Pro Vercelli

Both sides may aswell have played without defenders in this game, as it was definately our worst show of defending since I took over. We were horrendous at the back, and though Hany Said headed home his first goal for the club after five minutes, we soon found ourselves behind. Poggese were an attack minded side, and when Cacatti equalised, they suddenly found a new lease of life. To be fair though, his second was a stunner, as he flicked the ball up, turned and volleyed home all in one movement and we found ourselves behind. However, this only served to fire us up, and Turi equalised to send us in at the break level, and Perrotta scored his first as a Pro Vercelli player when he slid home on the 51st minute. It was proving to be a hell of a game, and the final goal came twenty minutes from time, Brunti slipping and allowing the winger in, who crossed for Braga to finish nicely and rescue a point

Goals ; Said 5, Cacatti 12, 23, Turi 38, Perrotta 51, Braga 70

--

Just before the final group game, we managed to secure another new signing, as Zimbabwean forward Benjamin Mwaruwari joined on a Bosman from Jomo Cosmos. He was a powerful lad, who could use his strength and agility to good use. He was also terrific in the air and would provide an aerial threat that we didn't really have

When I was younger, I used to dream of one day, playing in the biggest stadiums in the world, but unfortunately, my career as a player never really took off. Now, I had new dreams. I dreamt of managing in the biggest stadiums. I knew that if I could take Pro Vercelli to the heights of Serie A, I would get the chance to manage at the San Siro, the Stadio Olimpico, all sorts of stadiums. I couldn't imagine managing any other side though. I had fallen in love with Pro Vercelli, and I wanted to be the man to take them to the top. I was confident in my abilities, confident in my chairman and confident in my players, and I knew we could do it

--

I was sat in the flat working on some training schedules when the phone rang. Vittoria was at work and I was alone, so picked up the phone and cheerfully answered

"Hello"

"It's been a while hasn't it?"

It was that raspy, horrible voice again. I hadn't heard it for a while, and it took me a few seconds to realise

"What do you want?"

"Ah, the age old question. I just wanted to chat Kevin"

I couldn't believe what I was hearing

"You ring my flat, threaten my family, and you tell me you just want to chat?"

"It's nothing personal. I'm acting under instructions"

Now we were getting somewhere. I needed to find this son of a bitch, and I needed to find him quickly

"Well, whoever it is that you're acting for, you better tell them that when I find them, I will kill them. That my friend, is a promise"

And with that, I slammed the phone down. Maybe now he would learn I meant business.

Serie C Cup Group G ; Game 4

Pro Vercelli 2-1 Paterno

Though it didn't matter to me, we just had to won the game to qualify, and that is exactly what we did. Although I must be honest, we made hard bloody work of it. Our opponents were not anything special, and I was slightly disappointed we didn't take it to them, but still, a win is a win. Simone Perrotta opened the scoring, firing home a low 20 yard drive that skimmed off the water and into the bottom corner. The lead lasted less than two minutes though, as Clemente levelled it up with a header. The rest of the game was back and forth, as both sides created chances, and both sets of 'keepers were kept busy, but the winner came on 78 minutes, Turi marauding forward and sliding the ball home to seal the game. Scott Huckerby should have had a third in stoppage time, but his shot hit the inside of the post. 2-1 was how it stayed

Goals ; Perrotta 12, Clemente 14, Turi 78

My mind had not really been on the previous game, I was more focused on the bastard who had threatened Vittoria. I had sworn to myself that I would hunt them down and kill them, even if it meant the end of my career. However, I soon discovered that I had other problems waiting for me, as I arrived back at the flat to discover a letter on the doormat. The address was hand written, almost scribbled, and I was intrigued to know who had been writing to me. I tore the letter open in anticipation, but what I read left me in utter shock...

--

Kevin

I know you won't recognise my name, but I will tell it you anyway. I'm Louise Heath. When you were playing at Plymouth, 17 years ago, we had a relationship. We were both young, both immature, and you ended up moving to another club. I never got in touch with you because, well, I had pride. But now is the right time. Just after you left, I discovered I was pregnant. Though I was young, I kept the baby, and now, I have a beautiful 16 year old daughter. She's old enough to make her own decisions, and she wants to know her father. So, I'm sending you this letter. The rest, well, that's up to you. My contact details are attached, aswell as some photographs of Molly. Hopefully, I'll hear from you soon.

Louise

--

I was in utter shock. I could not believe that I had a daughter. I wasn't annoyed at Louise for not telling me, but I was a little upset that she had opted not to. I did remember her. Quite vividly actually. I took the photos, flicking through them, tears almost coming to my eyes. I put the letter, and the photos, in the kitchen drawer, and started working out how on earth I was going to explain in the Vittoria. I sat down, chewing my nails, and eventually, Vittoria walked in. She sensed something was wrong immediately, and sat next to me. I explained to her, showed her the letter and photos, and while she took it in, I worried how she would take it. She was however, wonderful. Fully supportive, and she made it clear that though she felt I should get to know my daughter, she would support me whatever I did

Serie C1/A ; Game 1

S.P.A.L 1-1 Pro Vercelli

Not an easy start for us, against supposeded promotion contenders, but we started well, really taking the game to our opponents, and though To Madeira missed three good chances in the opening twenty minutes, we did take the lead eventually, our Portuguese striker being felled in the penalty area, and Icelandic defender Haraldsson stepped up to fire the spot-kick home. We should have pushed home our advantage, and tried to go in at half time more than 1-0 ahead, but unfortunately, we didn't manage it, and we paid for this in the second half, as the home side drew level through the impressive Longhi. This wasn't to say we couldn't have won the game, as it was quite conceivable we could have, but it just wasn't to be and we had to settle for the point

Goals ; Haraldsson pen. 25, Longhi 64

--

This was it. This was the moment. I picked up the phone, dialling the number in front of me. It was ringing, and boy was I nervous...

"Hello"

"Hello. Is this Louise?"

"It is. Who am I speaking with?"

I paused. Truth was, I never really thought about what she might say when I rang

"It's Kevin. Kevin Manson"

"Kevin? Well I'm not going to lie, I am a bit shocked that you rang so quickly"

"Well I didn't see the point in waiting. And I think it is about time that I got to know my daughter"

"Well I always told her I would never take away her Dad from her life, and you have a right to see her. She isn't here to speak to you though at

the moment"

In a way I was slightly relieved about that, as I had no idea what I was going to say to her

"Well I'll leave my mobile and house number, and you can tell her she can ring at any time OK?"

"OK. I'll tell her. Thanks for ringing Kevin"

--

Once I had put the phone down, I felt a lot better, and I knew that I was doing the right thing. I had missed 16 years of her life, and I didn't want to miss anymore. I wanted to be a father, more than anything in the world...

Archived