(fm 10) Big sams 4-4-1-1

Hello all, this is my first posting of a tactic and without proper testing guess im really looking for advice more than anything. We concede too many so could do with defending better but plays ok.

I updated my version of fm10 and made it so my team, west ham, were relegated to the championship. I have already got promoted using Mr Hough tactics but wanted to experiment with my own creation. Problem is i am not getting proper results. What I mean is players are full of confidence as we have won league with about 10 games to go, also the west ham players are far superior than any other team in the league.

First time I played this tactic I played 3rd place team and beat them 6-2!

34g3vbm.jpg

These are the instructions

im8k1z.jpg

And individual instructions

GK - Defend

DL/DR - automatic

DC - limited/defend (I picked limited as I believe this will make them play longer and less risk, like big Sam (percentage football))

MR/ML - wide midfielders/attack

MCl - central midfielder/attack

MCr - central midfielder/defend

AMC - attacking midfielder/support

FC - Targer man/support

and final part of tactics

20h0lyf.jpg

also this is the game where i beat the 3rd placed team.

2akiedt.jpg

Have tried to Big sam allardyce but I know there is room for improvement particualry at the back, any advice would be most grateful.

P.S would like to thank the poster below who helped me sort my pictures out (I forgot your name and this doesnt let me scroll down to check. Its taken me 3 hours to sort them and im knackered!

I myself am working on a 4-4-1-1 tactic, the key is central midfield. With the 2 wingers and the AMC advancing, supported by your full backs you have more then enough going forward to make the two CM's more defensive, my pairing being a box to box (s) and Ball winning (d). Instantly think your tempo is too high, players of that level will misplace a lot of passes, something you could get punished for. As a target man support Cole will look to play the ball onto onrushing midfielders, a la Nolan, so placing him on support as well means your front two have no real consistancy. One or the other would fair better on an attack duty. I will post up my setup later today for you, once I have finished work.

thanks bounty hunter. I didnt see that, it makes more sense as well what you are saying. trying to emulate big sam and he does like players with a bit of bite in the centre. That would give more cover to my defense as well.

The thing that concerns me though is there then enough support for the attacks? to some extent that leave nolan, cole, and the two wide boys as my primary attacking players.

The reasoning for the tempo is thats how I see sam playing, no mucking around get the ball moving quckly forward and feed off the big man.

Yeah did wonder about nolan on attack duty cos he may make runs beyond cole etc then. Ok will have a play with those settings and give some feedback. Will also keep an eye out for your 4-4-1-1 as well.

thanks bounty hunter. I didnt see that, it makes more sense as well what you are saying. trying to emulate big sam and he does like players with a bit of bite in the centre. That would give more cover to my defense as well.

The thing that concerns me though is there then enough support for the attacks? to some extent that leave nolan, cole, and the two wide boys as my primary attacking players.

The reasoning for the tempo is thats how I see sam playing, no mucking around get the ball moving quckly forward and feed off the big man.

Yeah did wonder about nolan on attack duty cos he may make runs beyond cole etc then. Ok will have a play with those settings and give some feedback. Will also keep an eye out for your 4-4-1-1 as well.

With the full backs on Automatic they will naturally venture forward and take part in attacking phases of play. Your target man will look to lay the ball onto the nearest player iif he cannot create a shooting opportunity. With the wingers, assisted by full backs, and Nolan going forward you instantly have 5 breaking from deep. A box to box is exactly that, he will go from defense to attack along with the play, that makes 6. Tempo is how fast your players pick out a pass, at that level you're asking your players to effectively play one touch football, something I very much doubt they have to attributes to pull off. Decisions and passing would need to be above 15 for your midfield to stand a chance in those settings. The effect you're aiming for is simple to implement, play a more direct game and increase the wingers and AMC's mentality slider a little, just to give them a more attacking approach.

Another thing I have found useful in my testing of the 4-4-1-1 is moving the wingers forward in games you are dominating, this effectively gives you a 4-2-3-1, a much more attacking option, in the tighter games though 4-4-1-1 should be quite solid.

three things, ones a questions ones a statement about my tactic.

1) I play with wide midfielder rather than wingers.

2) I think my players are much better than the league they were playing in (just got promoted)

and

3) how do i get my players to play direct football and feed off the centre forward??

You have everything in place, the only thing I would change is a mixed focus passing. passing. I partly answered your question here:

The effect you're aiming for is simple to implement, play a more direct game and increase the wingers and AMC's mentality slider a little, just to give them a more attacking approach.

Archived