Formations

Does FM 11 lend itself to formations other than the bog standard 4-4-2, 4-5-1 and 4-2-3-1? I've never been able to make a formation work using anything else; although I came close with a 3-4-3 in FM 08 - even if it did last about 10 games before falling apart.

All the successful formations seem to be the ones I've mentioned and I understand in the modern game those formations are standard, it would be fun to be able to be a tactical genius and implement a formation and tactic that is unique without it being a "super tactic". I would be interested in finding out if anyone has come up with a working 3-4-3 or 5-3-2.

To be fair the standard formations are standard because they work and are proven methods, so it is going to lend itself to these in a way, if you like. However I have had success using other formations too that don't represent the ones fore mentioned, some to varying success but enough to warrant them reasonable and working, (ie my non-conventional tactic shows this). I have also had success using the 3-4-3 after enough tinkering with the defensive side of the midfield and won two league titles with it at one stage. Can't say I know about the 5-3-2 as I don't tend to play with so many at the back, but as far as I know and can tell from my own experience, any given reasonable tactic can work with enough painstaking trials and tinkering.

The reason you can't really play with 3 Central defenders is because you can't make a DC behave more like a DM and step into the midfield when in possession and you can't make your FB's (or last wide men, it also counts for WB's or WM's if no FB's are used) not fall back into the defensive line. Also the 4 at the back is just a really solid setup so it's already hard to make a 3 or 5 defender formation viable.

If we get more control over player movement and positioning they might get more viable in the future but for now the back 4 is far superior. You can get 5 at the back to work tho, it is viable as I have played against some teams in the Serie A who used it and put up quite a fight. AI controlled teams have the same tools available to them as you have so if the AI can do it you can.

btw. Apart from the 4-4-2, 4-5-1 and 4-2-3-1 there is also the 4-3-1-2, 4-1-3-2, 4-2-2-2 (box) and more. The 4-4-2, 4-5-1 and 4-2-3-1 are not the only 4 at the back formations available.

The reason you can't really play with 3 Central defenders is because you can't make a DC behave more like a DM and step into the midfield when in possession and you can't make your FB's (or last wide men, it also counts for WB's or WM's if no FB's are used) not fall back into the defensive line. Also the 4 at the back is just a really solid setup so it's already hard to make a 3 or 5 defender formation viable.

If we get more control over player movement and positioning they might get more viable in the future but for now the back 4 is far superior. You can get 5 at the back to work tho, it is viable as I have played against some teams in the Serie A who used it and put up quite a fight. AI controlled teams have the same tools available to them as you have so if the AI can do it you can.

btw. Apart from the 4-4-2, 4-5-1 and 4-2-3-1 there is also the 4-3-1-2, 4-1-3-2, 4-2-2-2 (box) and more. The 4-4-2, 4-5-1 and 4-2-3-1 are not the only 4 at the back formations available.

No you're right. The ones I mentioned were the first that came into my head.

Archived