Help with Creating False 9

Can the tactical gurus help me with creating a False 9 for my Arsenal Team. I am playing a 4-3-3/451 formation with a destroyer/passer/creator combination in midfield. Song is my destroyer - anchor man - defend, Fabregas my passer - deep lying playmaker support - support and Wilshere my creator central midfielder - attack.

Below are the possible roles I think might work for False 9 but I would like some help in this area.

Complete Forward - Support

Mentality - Defensive (2 clicks into defensive)

Passing mixed (middle of slider)

Creative Freedom - Much 17 clicks

Run from Deep - Often

Run With ball - Often

Long Shots - Rarely

Through ball - Often

Wide Play - Move into Channels

Deep Lying Forward - Support

Mentality - Normal 8 notches on Slider

Passing - Mixed

Creative Freedom - Much 17

Run From Deep Often

Run with ball - Often

Long Shots - Rarely

Through balls - Often

Wide - Play Move into Channels

Trequartista - I am not sure about this role for a False 9. The Trequartista seems to drift around looking for pockets of space so that they can play through balls to Inside Forwards and midfielders making runs from deep. But it seems that the Trequatista does not score enough goals. Can anyone help me in this area.

Treqartista - Attack

Mentality - Normal or defensive (so that he can link up with the midfield)

Passing - Mixed

Creative Freedom - Much - 20

Run from Deep - Often

Run with ball -Often

Long Shots - Rarely

Through Balls - Often

Wide Play - Move into Channels

Robin Van Persie is the striker in my system, but he gets injured quite often and that leaves me with Chamakh and Bedneter as my other strikers. I am not sure about these players playing the False 9 role because they seem to be more Target Man type players. I just wanted to know if it is possible to get these players to play like False 9's

I've used complete forward/support as it is and got the behaviour that I needed, but if you want to take it further, then I'd take the mentality down a bit more and restrict the runs from deep. That last instruction will take your false9 up against the line without the ball. If you restrict it to rarely he'll stay in front of the line more consistently.

'Comes deep to get the Ball' Preferred move would be helpful here.

I've used complete forward/support as it is and got the behaviour that I needed, but if you want to take it further, then I'd take the mentality down a bit more and restrict the runs from deep. That last instruction will take your false9 up against the line without the ball. If you restrict it to rarely he'll stay in front of the line more consistently.

'Comes deep to get the Ball' Preferred move would be helpful here.

Thanks Deserter. I have got my complete forward with 6 clicks in defensive. If I changed is run from deep to sometimes how would this affect is behaviour. Sorry mate I do not understand what you mean by (That last instruction will take your false9 up against the line without the ball. If you restrict it to rarely he'll stay in front of the line more consistently) what last instruction are you taking about and what should be restricted to rarely.

Run from deep instructs the player how soon and how often he should make a run forward. If it is set to often he will start to run forward sooner which puts him up against the defensive line to soon to be an effective false 9. I personally use run from deep sometimes and the default mentality (you don't wan't it too defensive as he will take less risks) with a complete forward support role. My mentality is fluid so he ends up with his mentality a few clicks above the center point.

You can also use the trequartista role and he will still score goals if he is a technically gifted player with enough flair.

Run from deep instructs the player how soon and how often he should make a run forward. If it is set to often he will start to run forward sooner which puts him up against the defensive line to soon to be an effective false 9. I personally use run from deep sometimes and the default mentality (you don't wan't it too defensive as he will take less risks) with a complete forward support role. My mentality is fluid so he ends up with his mentality a few clicks above the center point.

You can also use the trequartista role and he will still score goals if he is a technically gifted player with enough flair.

Marsupian would you make any changes to the Trequartista's mentality. I also play a fluid mentality and the Trequartista ends up with an attacking mentality.

In my current 4-4-2 with CSKA I'm using Dzagoev as a false nine with a mix of deep lying forward / trequartista settings, and its working quite well.

3 seasons in he has a goal every other game and 1 assist per game. (mind you it's Russia so at least half the teams are crap)

settings are:

Deep lying forward (support)

Mentality: normal (right in the middle actually)

creative freedom: max

passing style: mixed (right in the middle again)

clossing down: 1 click above own area

tackling: easy

run from deep: sometimes

run with ball: sometimes

long shots: rarely

through balls: often

cross ball: sometimes

cross from: mixed

cross aim: mixed

wide play: normal

marking: zonal

tight marking, roam from position and hold up ball all to yes.

I went for wide play: normal as I found he would go wide too much with the 'move into channels' setting.

I started with the closing down on none, but found I got annoyed with him doing nothing so put it up a few notches.

Archived