Classic Tactics

So i've been doing some research, trying to recreate some classic tactics in FM, but i'm having a bit of trouble.

Basically the problem is with the information i'm able to gather from various websites, a lot of it is contrasting.

So i'm struggling to gather which way round the W and M is in the WM formation, and hence the WW and Metedo too.

Some people say the WM is this way;

135525_Budapest_Honved_FC.jpg

Some say this way;

135529_CSKA_(Sofia).jpg

And some sites even have it completely different.

So i was wondering if somebody who knows what they're talking about would be kind enough to give a proper generic basic layout for a few tactics please :)

- WM

- WW

- Danubio

- Metodo

- Catenaccio

- Swissbolt

Any help would be much appreciated, as i'm pretty clueless. Thanks

If he did then i'm just too noob to find it, the search returns nothing for W-M and it won't search for WM because it's less than 3 characters

Anyway hopefully someone can come in here and just give me the layout - it doesn't even have to be in FM, it's just frustrating how little definitive info there is :(

Yeah that's how i'd assume it is, there's probably a 50/50 split showing it the other way round too. Also if it was that way round, would the W be the shape closest to the keeper, or would you turn the image upside down and have the M shape being the one nearest the keeper? Because then WW would make more sense too

Like i said, i'm confused :D

I'm going to make an educated guess and say that it should be how it is displayed in the first screenshot.

Just looked on Arsenal's official website and they have a restaurant that they have named after Herbert Chapman's WM formation and to quote the website it says;

This exclusive private members restaurant, bar and lounge is named after the revolutionary 3-2-2-3 WM formation introduced by Herbert Chapman and his team captain Charlie Buchan in the 1920s. The formation went on to provide the foundations for the great success the Club enjoyed under Chapman.

Not 100% conclusive but it's from an official Arsenal article

Yeah that's what i'm leaning towards, but even then that doesn't say which is the W and which is the M part of the formation, if you turn the image upside down or whatever.

So, can anybody give the layout of the other formations please? :D

• 5 weeks later...

ok i have the book "Inverting the Pyramid - The History of Football Tactics" which shows you the formations over the years since football started and it shows the W-M positions which are as follows on the field:

Goalkeeper:

1: GK

Defenders:

2: Fullback Right (DR)

3: Defender Center (DC)

4: Fullback Left (DL)

Defensive Midfielders:

5: Defensive Midfielder Center Right (DMCR)

6: Defensive Midfielder Center Left (DMCL)

numbers 2-6 represent the M shape bottom half of tactics screen

Midfielders:

7: Attacking Midfield Center Right (AMCR)

8: Attacking Midfield Center Left (AMCL)

Forwards:

9: Striker Right (STR) *far right position top of screen

10: Striker Center (STC)

11: Striker Left (STL) *far left position top of screen

numbers 7-11 represent the W shape top half of tactics screen

hope this clears it up for you :)

Cheers,

kymsheba

Yep, my understanding of 'WM' is that it literally resembled a 'W' stacked on top of an 'M', with the players positioned at the 'points' of the two letters. So not all that far removed from the '5 & 5' or '2-3-5' teams were still commonly playing right up into the mid-60's.

Archived