which side do i play my DLF and does it matter?

having done copious amounts of reading of very intelligently written threads i've grasped the basics of keeping it simple. as someone said, if you've got a half-decent shape and generally use the TC without too much tinkering then it'll be the sum of the attributes on the pitch that make or break a game. this makes sense to me and is good as i'm no tactical genius either in the game or IRL.

so anyway i've gone back to a pretty basic 442 that i like, the team i play have good wingers in the real world so it seems sensible to exploit their strengths and i've just brought in a good all-round midfielder, who will be the more attacking and creative of my midfield pair and an extra striker who it seems will be just good at getting on the end of moves which is what i want.

right, my question, and there is a question after all this rambling, is i'm tempted to play one striker as an AF/attack and his partner as a DLF/support. i could play them both as AF but it seems to make some sense to have one a little closer to the midfield to ensure no huge gaps. i've got them set to swap position so i get the benefits of both in both positions.

now, is there any logic in having the DLF in front of my ballwinning midfielder or instead in front of my attacking CM? i'm trying both but cant really see a difference, probably dont know exactly what i'm looking for. can someone explain to me the pros and cons of which side to play the DLF and the kinds of things i should be looking at? muchos thanks.........

It depends how much roaming and creativity they have and there positioning.

I have 2 Striker, one on Target Man Support and one Poacher I think the target man often over laps the Poacher to play him on because I have let him use his mental skills to break down the defence. It makes him nearly impossible to man mark with 17 pace and acceleration.

It's always made more sense to me to put the DLF infront of the ball-winning midfielder so that the DLF and attacking CM form a loose pairing in the space between midfield and attack without getting in each others way. This allows both the DLF and CM to hit passes either laterally to each other (or possibly your wingers) or further forward to the AF (or possibly the wingers), they also have the option of keeping possession by laying it off to the ball-winning CM or full-backs.

Footedeness should also be a consideration. Some like left-footers on the left and right-footers on the right whilst others like the opposite. A major factor in this decision is where you like to play the ball. A right-footer on the right side will be drawn to the flanks whilst a left-footer on the right will be drawn into the centre.

Just as a matter of preference I always stick my attacking CM on the left and my DLF on the right. I tend to find the opposition normally favour the slower, larger defender on the left which means he has to move about to mark the DLF which is not his natural game and hence, my advantage. However if your AF is small and quick you may want him against the lumbering destroyer to try and exploit any lack of pace.

hmmm thanks that was just the kind of input i was looking for. plenty to think about. neither striker has great creativity but they're intelligent: both have decisions 15 so i dont worry too much about the DLF, i know he'll get into forward positions when it's on, and that's what i've viewed thus far.

"It's always made more sense to me to put the DLF infront of the ball-winning midfielder so that the DLF and attacking CM form a loose pairing in the space between midfield and attack without getting in each others way. This allows both the DLF and CM to hit passes either laterally to each other (or possibly your wingers) or further forward to the AF" - yeah, does make perfect sense, thanks.

footedness isnt an issue as i have my 2 strikers on swap position so they'll both get a chance at being left or right. i DO like my strikers to cut inside. and again, this will make me consider whether to put the DLF on the left or right because my 2 strikers, AND my 2 backups, are all right footers.

well cheers, that's given me plenty of food for thought now i need to try out the permutations that make the most sense......

You just changed your name from 'Alan' to 'Neil?

cool, huh? actually officially i changed it from neil to alan but i want to be neil again so the mods sorted it on here. now for the DWP, HMRC, Bank, Passport office... lordy, it ain't simple this.....

Archived