how to beat FCPorto and SCBraga, anone knows?

Im playing with SL Benfica, i have the default benfica squad plus alex sandro( Defender Left/ WB L), Robert Pirés (AMC/ M RLC /AM RL), Djalma (AM RL / M RL), and Denilson (AMC / AM L / ST). My most common tactic, the one i use the most is a modifeid 4-5-1 with the usual back four (Alex Sandro, David Luiz, Luisão, Maxi Pereira), Javi Garcia as DM With defend duty, Carlos Martins as MC with support duty, Fabio Coentrao on the left side of the miedfield (ML) and Eduardo Salvio on the right (MR) both in support duty because my FB are on defend only duty. Then i have Robert Pires as AMC with attack duty (PAblo Aimar, Nico Gaitan are injured). Finnaly i have Franco Jara spearheading the attack in a poacher role. I have a balanced philosophy an i usualy play with high pression, and quick tempo, alsow got short passing style.

FC Porto are managed by Andre Vilas Boas, and they usualy play in a 4-3-3 with the back four (wendt,Maicon,A Rami, sapunaru), a DM (Fernando), two MC (Ruben Micael and Souza), Two AM, Cristian Rodriguez on the left and Ukra on the right. Finally Their St is Hulk.

SC Braga play according to manager Domingos paciencia and he employs a typical 4-4-2 with the usual back four, a DM, a AMC two wingers and two St. Their best players are Wingers MAtheus and Alan and i think most of their teams performence come from them, i think their like the brain of the team, could be wrong though..

hope this extra info can help you help me lool! if u need any more info let me know! Thank you!

Braga, from what you've described, play a 4-4-2 diamond, I love playing against that formation, as it lacks a central midfield. I'd back your 4-5-1 to crush that, especially with your wingers and full backs being so defensive.

Porto are a much more difficult challenge, they're compact in the middle, and that's going to be tough to break down. Personally, I would play a 4-2-3-1 against them. (Back 4, 2 CMs, AML, AMR, AMC, ST). As your midfield's to fragmented in shape to combat a cohesive 1-2 Unit. Have your midfielders play a postionally more aggressive role. (Centre Midfield, with Attack duty should work well here. Especially if you reduce the forward runs.) This should pin their two CMs in their own half, leaving their DM to mark Pires. I'd set the AMs to roam, with high creative freedom. Making them difficult to mark.

Obviously I can't guarantee you'll win both games here, but that's what I'd look to do against both sides.

dude i still cant get pass Porto! they keep beating me! i tried your game plan but still.. nothing, what do you think could be the problem? Hulk and cristian rodriguez( the ST and the the AML) keep tearing up my defence and i cant seem to stop them! this is so frustrating! the game im playing is in the portuguese cup, first leg, away(Porto´s pitch). Could this influence their performance so much that they can keep beating me? the odds in the game point to my victory... but nothing comes of it! lool i keep doing the same game (the one i just described), cause its starting to be a huge challenge for me and i cant settle for anything other than a win! i know this is kinda wrong saving just before the game and keep playing it until i win but i do this because i wanto to learn wow to break down that type of play! so i wolud really appreciate if you could help me a bit more! thanks again and sorry for the trouble lool

Are you still playing with those defensive fullbacks? If your fullbacks don't pressure or make forward runs (to pull the wingers into defense) those wingers (AML/AMR) are free to receive the ball and start runs at your defense (unless they get picked up by your MR/ML). Also with a DM it's really difficult to get your AMC to perform so maybe it's better to look for space on the wings. You could play your wingers more offensively or have your AMC or striker(s) move into channels (which makes them wonder to the space on the flanks). Also it sounds like your playing very defensively with defensive fullbacks and supporting wingers. Your only attacking players are your AMC and striker who are both in the middle. Hulk is a real pain so I feel for you :p.

dude i finaly did it! i won Porto Lol, but i didn't quite use your advised tactic, i mean i tried it but my miedfield couldn't match Porto's so i thought "i cant use an AMC because the only one i can use is an kinda old and will be slaughterd by their DM" then i saw that if i couldn't direct and construct my game throuh the middle i must bet on the wings, so i did my usual back four but with the wing backs in automatic so they could add some extra pressure on their wingers and WB (here your tips were handy lool) and then i just used a DM and a MC in defend, (i tried to do this so their only function would be thrashing Porto's strong midfield) and then i placed the two most creative winger i had, in support mode ( i changed in to attacking mode some time in to the game when it was already 1-0 for me). i finished of with two strickers (the traditional small and fast and the big and strong). It did really well for me, i beat them 2-0 at their pitch! what do you think of my game plan? i really would like to get some feedback on my theories lool since im getting better and learning more and more about this game, i think its really usefull to get some feedback from more experienced "managers" lool! thanks dude!

Hi Jorge,

Welcome to the forums, may I suggest you spend reading the above help guides created by Sfraser, Cleon and WWfan as these will assist you getting the best out of your squad and understanding how to set your team and combat other teams.

Good Luck with your game.

I like your game plan a lot. Sounds like something heathxxx would do :p. Just good logic and not afraid to hurt the opponent where it hurts the most. Those are the victories you can be proud of as a manager not just because you bought good players but also because you unhinged your opponents tactic and molded the game into something your side could win.

Lool thanks!! i think im getting a lot better at analysing formations and figuring out their week points, but this only goes so far... what i think is really harder is using this analysis while at the same time considering the personal attributes of the oposition and even my own players, for me that is the key to a great game plan! what i still dont have a clue on how it works is the trainning methods! thats really confusing for me, and i want to figure out how they work as fast as i can, cause i got a bunch of hot prospects in my benfica squad and i dont want to waste pure raw talent! any tips? thanks lool!

The most important thing about training is keeping your players fit and give them enough game time. If they play well and stay fit they will get better no matter what training schedule you use. The training schedule only moves the ability gain to the attributes you want them to go. When I design schedules for my players I just think about what I want my players to do and focus on those categories. It's important to not make the overall workload too heavy (as long as it says medium you should be fine i think) and focus too heavily on one or two categories as your players will get too one sided (also when strikers have zero workload in the defensive category they will lose concentration which is actually quite important for strikers). You could also look around on this forum and see how others have made their schedule and go from there.

Archived