Tactical conundrum~: Which side to play my trequartista

hi, i've got a 442 going. my MCs are set to one ballwinner/defend and one ballwinner/support. the ballwinner support is the creative of the two, set to default TC settings except he's got TTB often

in front of these i have a poacher and a trequartista.

i'm wondering who should be in front of who and why. my original thinking was to put the ballwinner/support and the trequartistas on different sides (L/R) because otherwise i'd have 2 creative players behind one another as opposed to one on the left of centre, one on the right.

however, i notice that this means the ballwinner/support and the poacher both run into the box at the same time and in the same place, which seems rather a waste.

what would you do?

I tend to prefer my players to make diagonal passes.

Thus if I have a forward running striker and an often through ball midfielder, I will place them as an MCL and an FCR. Diagonal passes always cause havoc.

interesting. i've thoiught that maybe part of the problem here is that i have one of the strikers as trequartista therefore primary playmaker and the midfield will be trying to get the ball to this player. so i'm tempted to change that.

just a couple more thoughts. if my creative midfielder and more attack-minded is the same side as the deeper forward it will be easier to link the midfield with the attack.

how does the deep-lying forward role work? rfd is high, mentality is the same as a striker so i dont see how the ME makes him play deep. would welcome any thoughts on this......

hi, i've got a 442 going. my MCs are set to one ballwinner/defend and one ballwinner/support. the ballwinner support is the creative of the two, set to default TC settings except he's got TTB often

in front of these i have a poacher and a trequartista.

i'm wondering who should be in front of who and why. my original thinking was to put the ballwinner/support and the trequartistas on different sides (L/R) because otherwise i'd have 2 creative players behind one another as opposed to one on the left of centre, one on the right.

however, i notice that this means the ballwinner/support and the poacher both run into the box at the same time and in the same place, which seems rather a waste.

what would you do?

Base it on the opposition.

If the oppo play a high line, I'd have the Treq on the right and the poacher on the left. And the opposite if they play deep.

However you may also want to look at which CBs the oppo plays. Put your poacher up against the slower CB.

Do the same with the CMs, unless one of your FBs or Wingers is more less capable defensively, then you should have the defensive CM on that side IMO.

thanks. i'm not sure about playing a treq. now. simply because i dont see one of my strikers being the primary playmaker, that should be my ballwinner/support.

problem is, i cant find another striker role where the striker plays deep apart from DLF but this comes with hold up ball which i dont want - my strikers have pace, flair and guile but no strength and balance and anyway i want them tearing up defences when in possession instead of holding up the ball.

my major issue is the amount of space between my midfield and my attack. dont want to change the midfield settings i like the two ballwinners in central midfield and anyway ballwinner/support with TTB often still has some RFD and RWB, it's ideal and working well. what i need is one of the strikers to drop deeper to link attackers and midfield. suggestions?

You can always adjust things yourself. Set him to Treq. and then change the primary playmaker yourself. Or pick DLM and remove HUB.

My tactic I posted in the recent 4-4-2 thread uses the creator, but I over-ride almost everything. Only really mentality that is left untouched throughout the whole team.

Archived