TEMPO issue!

Can someone resolve this for me.

Understanding football and understanding the game are two completely different things.

I am Liverpool and want to develop a passing style ala arsenal+barca stylee.

Arsenal and Barca (in real football) play a short passing game but at a very high pace and tempo (albeit they are patient). But in line with the game or what people say you need to marry short passing with a slow tempo. So I have moved the slider a few notches to the slow end but not right down as pool do not have the players - yet. I play a 4-2-3-1 with carrol up top and suarez on the left. Now because i play a slow tempo it always says that carroll is used to a more direct game and a high tempo and has poor form as a result without a goal (6 matches). But just because I play a passing game does not mean that when we get to the byline i do not want to cross it for carroll. That is the way I want to play but i do not have the option. So carrol is completely wasted unless I play a direct game, but i may as well be Blackburn.

This is a fatal misunderstanding within the game about real football. Teams can play a fast tempo short passing game like arsenal and barca. a slow tempo passing game is the one you will find in italy. Also as I have carroll every now and then I want to pump a high ball up to him and mix it around a bit so he gets involved if we cant break up the oposition.

What setting, if any, is the correct one for a slick passing game that can involve a player like carrol?

You can have crosses no matter what tempo you are playing. Just instruct your fullbacks and wingers to cross often or sometimes and tell them where to they shall send the ball. Maybe I misunderstood your question there?

Have a look at the several Barcelona/Arsenal tactic threads on this forum. The issue about tempo and passing should be covered there. If I remember correctly Barcelona is usually said to play a somewhat slow passing game while Arsenal play faster. As in real life playing a fast and short passing game is hard to get right and is technically demanding. But Liverpool should probably able to handle it

Have you tried default passing style with higher time wasting? The time wasting slider is really a patience modifier more than anything. You will be able to play both with fast tempo and keep possession if you'll find the right time wasting setting.

As SREDNA says, use time wasting to adopt a more patient approach.

The best way to view the time wasing slider is not as "time wasing" at all, but as "urgency" (albeit reversed). The lower your time wasting the more urgent your players will go about their business, trying to get the ball forward and create chances. So the lower settings are not in fact "don't waste time" (that's the MIDDLE setting), but "chase the game". If you set time wasting to medium high, your players will be patient in their build up, but will still get the ball forward when an opportunity presents itself.

The tempo dictates how quickly the ball is moved around (or how long a player takes on the ball before deciding to do "something", which might of course be going on a mazy run and not passing the ball). In my experience, your tempo should at least partially by dictated by the opposition's closing down. If they're not closing down, zipping the ball around has no benefit - you need to play slower and drag the opposition out of position. If you play too slow with the opposition closing down all the time, you'll continuously be caught in possession.

The tempo dictates how quickly the ball is moved around (or how long a player takes on the ball before deciding to do "something", which might of course be going on a mazy run and not passing the ball). In my experience, your tempo should at least partially by dictated by the opposition's closing down. If they're not closing down, zipping the ball around has no benefit - you need to play slower and drag the opposition out of position. If you play too slow with the opposition closing down all the time, you'll continuously be caught in possession.

This is spot on!

As SREDNA says, use time wasting to adopt a more patient approach.

The best way to view the time wasing slider is not as "time wasing" at all, but as "urgency" (albeit reversed). The lower your time wasting the more urgent your players will go about their business, trying to get the ball forward and create chances. So the lower settings are not in fact "don't waste time" (that's the MIDDLE setting), but "chase the game". If you set time wasting to medium high, your players will be patient in their build up, but will still get the ball forward when an opportunity presents itself.

I'd be careful with setting time wasting too high. It can lead to some very undesirable behaviour - like your striker trying to buy a corner off a defender instead of trying to beat him and go for goal. Even with a middle 'sometimes' setting, they can look to waste time at some very inappropriate moments.

I'd be careful with setting time wasting too high. It can lead to some very undesirable behaviour - like your striker trying to buy a corner off a defender instead of trying to beat him and go for goal. Even with a middle 'sometimes' setting, they can look to waste time at some very inappropriate moments.

I'm thinking of something like 2-4 clicks above the middle setting, i.e. unhurried but not actually looking to kill off the game. The slider should still say "sometimes". It's definitely the way to get them play patient football.

Even dead-on middle, for me, results in Torres trying to buy a corner off the defender if he is put through but doesn't have a clear route on goal. By knocking the timewasting down to the first notch of 'sometimes', he either tries to beat his man or looks for a cut-back / pass to recycle possession.

Have you tried default passing style with higher time wasting? The time wasting slider is really a patience modifier more than anything. You will be able to play both with fast tempo and keep possession if you'll find the right time wasting setting.

Cheers for the input.

But surely the exact same setting is shorter passing with never time waste. Maybe i just need to up the tempo a bit and go into the individual settings and get more players like my full backs playing direct at my target man Carroll.

What was funny was that before my thread I beat Arsenal 1-0 away. Scouting report for arsenal said they play no particular passing style (wrong -short passing) Carroll played badly and Wenger complained about me after the game that my team passes too much and should shoot more often instead of trying to walk the ball in the back of the net. I gues i just need to play around with it a bit more until i get it right.

Archived