FM08 : Olympique Lyon : Les Gones

Purefun

Before I dive into my start of season 9 update, I must of course mention Manchester United's victory over Chelsea on Wednesday evening in the Champions League final. Of course I am delighted that my side took the trophy, but one must be gracious in victory and say that Chelsea played really well, and in truth it was a game which neither deserved to lose. (Sorry for the cliche).

Hopefully the rumours that Sir Alex Ferguson will retire after winning his second European Cup wont come true, and he can take this young side on even further!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Despite saying in my end of season 8 update, (on page 66), that I would be bringing in many players that changed somewhat! I didn't spend loads of money, (not much over £20million), but I still brought in eight players with that money. In the sales department, I got rid of a few first teamers, and in doing that raised an awful lot of money, (near £60million). So all in all, this transfer window has been very busy for me!!

Players Out

Mario Balotelli - £40million(£15million upfront, £20million after 1 international app, £5million after 10 league apps, plus 25% sell-on fee) - Barcelona

Jimmy Briand - £13.5million - Lazio

Obama - £8.5million - Bayern Munich

Josexto Cia - £4million(plus 50% sell-on fee) - Sochaux (£10million buy-back clause)

Santiago Arroyo - £1.5million(plus 50% sell-on fee) - Standard Liege (£4million buy-back clause)

Kim Kallstrom - Released

Mehdi Sennaoui - Released

Mario Balotelli had 4 great seasons at the club, but he was unwilling to renew his contract. Pitty really as he had been so good for us and would have (eventually) replaced Fred. A good profit was made as Id only bought him for £11.75million. Oh well, the deal was a good one.

My Chairman accepted the offer from Lazio for Jimmy Briand. At the age of 29 this was decent money to get for him. But I would have preferred to keep him for perhaps another season.

The fee I got for Obama was cracking as it was a £7million profit on the player. He is nearly 29, so it was a good deal.

Josexto Cia and Santiago Arroyo are both good young strikers, but so far have not developed as much as Id hoped. These were good deals for 2 players I had got on free transfers, and if they do develop I can always buy them back!

The legendary Kim Kallstrom will be missed, but his deal was up and it was time for him to go.

Mehdi Sennaoui was only brought in as a back-up keeper last season until youngster Jonas Mjos had developed a bit. Now that he has, Sennaoui was no longer needed.

7 other players were released from my reserves/youth team.

Players In

Carlos Muñoz - £10million - Athletic Bilbao

Gabriel Popescu - £4million - Amiens

Antoine Moulin - £2.5million - Bordeaux

Oliveira - £2.1million - Santos

Arthur Baranov - £2million - Dinamo Moscow

Pascal Sylvestre - £1million - Bordeaux

Guy Charpentier - £250K - Marseille

Patrick Jalliti - £30K - Lens

Carlos Muñoz looks like a cracking player. He comes highly recommended by my Spanish scout, and seen as my replacement for Balotelli. As you can see only a few sub appearances so far, but both his goals came on his debut so he could turn out to be a cracking piece of business.

Gabriel Popescu is only 20 and has been brought in as a long term investment. He will initially challenge Amaral fro a place in the side, but I see him more as Francois Clerc's replacement.

Youngster Antoine Moulin is a player I was pretty much ordered to sign by my scouts. He has only just turned 16 and looks like he could be a great player in the future.

Striker Oliveira looks like he could be a great player for years to come. Some of Europes biggest clubs were making bids for him, but thankfully he joined us. He signed a deal as "hot prospect" so may not be too involved this season.

Arthur Baranov is a player who again comes highly recommended after my scouts saw him playing in the recent under 20 World Cup. He doesn't look great now, but will surely develop.

Pascal Sylvestre, Guy Charpentier, and Patrick Jalliti are all youngsters that my scouts recommended after scouting the French Under 18's league. Not back prospects in my opinion, and Charpentier may get a few games during the season.

I have also captured the signature of Francisco Ortega, another young midfielder, for £250K. He will join in the January transfer window once he turns 18. Another good prospect in my opinion.

First Team Squad

Goalkeepers;

1.Remy Riou

12.Jonas Mjos

33.Vincent Briant

Defenders;

2.Amaral

3.Bruno Lopes

4.Christopher Samba

5.Thiago Heleno

13.Rafael Forster

14.Alexandre Le Rouzic

22.Gabriel Popescu

29.Arthur Baranov

Midfielders;

6.Adrien

7.Seydou Koffi

8.Celsinho

19.Philippe Fernandes

20.Loic Damour

24.Souleymane Toure

26.Marko Jezdimirovic

Attacking Midfielders/Forwards;

10.Karim Benzema

11.Frederic Nimani

15.Nicklas Barkroth

18.Hatem Ben Arfa

Strikers;

9.Fred

23.Oliveira

28.Carlos Muñoz

Youth Players;

35.Guy Charpentier

36.Patrick Jalliti

37.Fabien Pons

38.Pascal Sylvestre

39.Antoine Moulin

With Kim Kallstrom now gone, Fred has been appointed as my new captain and Christopher Samba as vice-captain.

The Season So Far

In the Champions Trophy final we faced my old rivals, (not the clubs rival, but actually mine), Lens. And Im delighted to say I have now won the trophy 9 times in a row, (14 times for the club), after we won 3-1. I went in with my diamond system for a change, and with Fred playing as target man and Karim Benzema as the other man upfront, we tore them to pieces. Benzema scored twice, both set up by Fred. Adrien came from the bench to grab the third, before we conceded a late consolation.

Champions Trophy Final

In Ligue 1 we have set off in typical "runaway train" type fashion. After eight league games we are 4 points clear after winning seven and drawing one so far. We have banged in 20 goals, with Fred has starting off in typical fashion, scoring 12 goals. This an even better start for him than last season! The defence has been typically solid, conceding just 4 goals so far.

Lille (H) 4-2 (Adrien; Nimani; Fred 2)

Rennes (A) 3-0 (Fred 3)

Sedan (H) 5-1 (Nimani; Fred 2; Muñoz 2)

Strasbourg (A) 0-0

Sochaux (A) 3-1 (Benzema; Fred 2)

Amiens (H) 3-0 (Benzema; Fred 2)

Nancy (A) 1-0 (Adrien)

Marseille (H) 1-0 (Fred)

League Table So Far

In the Champions League we have been handed perhaps one of the toughest groups since I took charge at Lyon.

Olympique Lyonnais

AC Milan

Tottenham Hotspur

Feyenoord

Still I would say we should be able to get through that group, though we may encounter more problems than we have in recent seasons doing so!

Italy

With my international job with Italy, I have all but qualified for the 2016 European Championships. Since my last update I have only played 2 games, (1 qualifier), but thanks to another result going our way we are now guaranteed a playoff spot at the very least. Switzerland are now also guaranteed a playoff spot, and we meet in the final qualifier to determine who gets the automatic place in the summers championships.

Montenegro (A) 3-0

Cameroon (H) 1-0 (Friendly)

We have two more qualifier to play against Norway (H), and Switzerland (H), and 2 more friendlies to come this year. So I'll update you once I've played them!!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Any comments or suggestions are as always welcome, and I'll be happy to upload any screenshots you want.

Sorry for giving you such a long read yet again boys!

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tomtuck

Great update mate.

And yes i would like to see an s.s. of Adrien to if possible? thx

Nice incoming transfers mate. Have to say you are great at finding young talent. icon14.gif

Ooh and congrats with Manu. icon_smile.gif

---------------

Okay my transfers are nearly done (will post an update soon) but i probably need a dm/cm and a striker. I have 8 mil euro left and also a non-eu spot so people give me some advice. Many thx.

Originally posted by purefun:

Holteend

A big load of transfers there mate.

And a good start of the season.

mostly youngsters

and i didn't no if i should post my tatics should i

Purefun did you find a ST

Holteend

Don't like that tactic personally but it works very well for you i see. I would move Bodmer between the two mc's with a barrow but thats just me. icon_smile.gif

One thing though Clercq is much better than Reveillere. So play him.

HolteEnd

A nice squad there, full of many quality players. As for your tactics, a little on the narrow side, but whatever works for you! "Each to their own", as they say!

As purefun says though, Francois Clerc is much better than Anthony Reveillere at right back. Also, I retrained Reveillere to a LB so he could cover both positions. Up to you if you choose to do that or not of course!

Glory - One can not help but laugh! icon_biggrin.gif

stgahoy

He plays well as you cna see from the SS, lots of assists, infact he went on to make more after I took that SS, chips in with the odd screamer aswell, hope it works for you icon14.gif

HolteEnd

That's not half my team, around two thirds are out on loan, I'm doing my end of season update now and it'll include SS's of players, Benzerga isn't the best tbh, perhaps because he doesn't get played enough, a good back up DM none the less.

End Of Season 2011/2012 Update/Review

purefun, I remember you said you like to see lots of SS's and there's alot in here lol!

Season Overview

A summary of my finances

A look at my income

A look at my expenditures

And how my wage structure has changed through the game

My Transfers

The rest of the transfers

Arranged Transfers

The Squad

Tactic and Preffered Starting XI

Overall Squad Stats

The rest of the squad stats

Now something I've not done before, and not seen done before, hopefully will help players that are just starting to see how players can develop or if not I'm not sure why I did it icon_biggrin.gif

Complete Squad List

Goalkeepers

Benoit Costil

(REGEN) - Carlos Pereira

Hugo Lloris

Joris Delle

Defenders

Armand Traore

Arturo Vidal

Garry Bocaly

Jeremy Mathieu

Joe Mattock

Loic Abenzoar

Mamadou Sakho

Matias Cahais

Matthieu Saunier

Onyekachi Apam

Defensive Midfielders

Omar Benzerga

Younesse Sankhare

Central Midfielders

Adrien

Jeremy Toulalan

Matthieu Bodmer

Attacking Mids

Abdou Razack Traore

Eden Hazard

Georgino Wijnaldum

Hatem Ben Arfa

Jeremy Menez

Lionel Messi

Pablo Piatti

Strikers

Damien le Tallec

Henri Saivet

Jozy Altidore

Karim benzema

Mario Balotelli

(REGEN) - Mattias pannach

(REGEN) - Thomas Eckl

Sorry If you're bored already, not much more now.

Competitions

Champions Trophy

vs OM

Euro Super Cup

vs Fenerbache

Club World Championship

Semi final vs New York

Final vs Cruzerio

French Cup

9th Round vs FC Metz

10th Round vs FC Lorient

Coupe De ligue

4th Round vs FC Nantes

Quater Final vs LOSC

Semi final vs Le Mans

Final vs Paris Saint-Germain

Ligue 1 Orange

Standings.jpg

Player Stats

Champions League

Group H

1st KO Round vs Newcastle 1

1st KO vs Newcastle 2

QF vs Roma 1

QF vs Roma 2

SF vs Chelsea 1

SF vs Chelsea 2

FinalvsValencia-3-0.jpg

Tournament Player Stats

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right well I can't think much else to put, I think I've put pretty much everything in, hope the post isn' too big and I hope to god all these SS's come out right lol.

As usual any requests to see somthing or any questions you may have then fire away.

Liam

What an update!! icon_eek.gif

That must have given you a lot of work mate.

Great season and great transfers.

Are you planning on using Kaka or just selling him (i would use him though)?

Could you (next time) if you doing something like this make your screenshots a little bigger because its hard to see them tbh. Sorry don't want to be an ass. Although some may find this. icon_wink.gif

purefun

Kaka will most likely be used in rotation with Bodmer, also he'll make a brill tutor, managed to negotiate him down form wanting £100k p/w to being on £55k p/w.

And yeah I'll make them the next size up, next time, I can see most of them OK though and my eyesight is pathetic.

Bit annoying that I made all that money last season and then had to pay £51m dividends out!

Board has given me £105m budget though this year, I dont even think I'll buy anyone.

Maybe try and bring in either Nordveit or Bellaid, depending on which one is cheapest after losing Vidal on a free.

liam_everton

Wow what a post!! All your screenshots kind of put me and all my writings to shame!

I'll start at the beginning, (of course), and say great dealings with y0ur transfers. I see by all your player sale you seem to like to break up a squad and start again, a-la Sir Alex Ferguson??

Your Squad

Its absolutely massive!! You have so many quality players, both in your squad and out on loan. And you appear have 3 or 4 players to cover each position. One thing though is that you seem to have had a lack of out-and-out strikers this season, I would say dont loan out Mario Balotelli next season. He scored for fun with me. His gols/game ratio was sensational in my game. Pitty the bastard wouldn't sign a new deal.

Regens Analysis - Firstly, I must say it's pretty amazing how you only have 3 regens in your squad t the end of the 2012 campaign. By then I had a fair few of them, all just youngsters, but still they were there.

Carlos Pereira - He doesn't look too bad, although his aerial ability is a bit rubbish. Not a player to keep long term in my opinion, even if he is only young.

Matthias Pannach - Looks quality to me. You should get many good seasons out of him.

Thomas Eckl - Decent technical and mental stats, but his stamina is a major worry.

Your Season

Where to start? Out standing stuff. Great victories at the start of the season in the Champions Trophy over Marseill, and the European Super Cup over Fenerbahce. Then followed up by crushing Cruzeiro in the World Club Championships aswell!

I cant believe you played such a weakened side in this cup against Lorient. I know its not the most important competition, but thats ridiculous in my opinion. Your side got what it deserved! icon_wink.gif

Nice to see you take the Coupe de le Ligue though, slight consolation instaed of winning the Coupe de France.

Great performances in Ligue 1 and the Champions League...........................can't really say much more than that to be honest, except that its great to see you despose of Chelsea so convincingly in the semi finals, and likewise with Valencia in the final.

Once again, great season, and fantastic post![/i[

Originally posted by purefun:

Yeah its very annoying giving all that money away to some shareholders ffs.

They should addres this for the next game. Hopefully.

To be honest purefun, they shouldn't as its a realistic part of the game.

Thanks tomtuck

I don't usually break up the squad much, that's the first time I've done it on this save, and will probably wont happen again for another 5 years(If I get that far) But I did just fancy abit of a change and to let the younger players play.

Cheers for the advice on balotelli, I'll keep him around this season,

Regens, There is quite a few more that are still in U-18's, didn't bother posting them up, not got many that look like they'll cut it yet but I've just got Bojan krkic to Scout evry single player from all the French U-18's side's, I'll surely get a few from there?!

Perira has just mad 1st choice in the Euro's for Portugal so I'm hoping to get more from him,

And yeah getting stuffed in the French Cup was abit stupid, I just thought I'd see how they did, and obviously not to well, hence why I played my 1st team in all the Coupe De Ligue games, to ensure I won it.

Unfortunately for me France won the Euro's so that means they're not sacking the manager and I can't take the job.

So yeah basically by the end of this transfer window I'm hoping for a bunch of superstar in the making French regens.

As for all the SS's I just thought it'd be something different so gave it a go, took longer than expected though.

Originally posted by glory utd:

If you plan on doing all the screenshots in the future you should get quickshot from imageshack.

Making up for the lost time yesterday at the moment. icon_rolleyes.gif

I've got some program where all I do is press printscreen and it'll take the picture and save it for me automatically, saved abit of time.

Originally posted by liam_everton89:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glory utd:

If you plan on doing all the screenshots in the future you should get quickshot from imageshack.

Making up for the lost time yesterday at the moment. icon_rolleyes.gif

I've got some program where all I do is press printscreen and it'll take the picture and save it for me automatically, saved abit of time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With quickshot all you do is press alt + u and it'll upload it automatically. Go from the screen to having a link in 30 seconds.

okay im started to get ****ed off with fm completly no pmatter what score im winning i conceed 1 in the 83m and 2 in the 90m do i have decdided to forget about my old games and have a try in france with Lyon updates will follow.

any advice on who to buy or sell. will try to play with 3 upfront defo Benzema as one.

If you're planning on using three upfront then you will need to invest heavily in the striking department, which isn't good as the defence needs good investment too.

I would definitely suggest two centre backs and a winger, if you sell Govou. Maybe when looking at a winger look for someone who can play upfront too, Farfan has been doing great for me.

I have no idea about strikers since I only play with the one up top and didn't sign anyone as Fred and Benzema do me fine.

Sir_Frosinone - just thought Id post this, (that I posted a few pages back), for you. It doesn't have loads of player recommendations, as I prefer to find my own players and therefore am not a big one for telling others who to buy....................they should find out for themselves! icon_wink.gif

First thing you should do is ask your board for extra transfer funds, you should then be given about £30million to spend.At the start of your game you start with a few injuries which will need to be addressed, those are;

Gregory Coupet - 5 months

Cris - 7 months

Cleber Anderson - 12 months

Fred - 2 months

Goalkeepers - Usually people would suggest getting another GK such as Hugo Lloris or Carlos Kameni. In my game I didn't go and buy another keeper and used Remy Vercoutre until Coupet was fit again. Now into my 7th season and he is my 1st choice. If you do go for another keeper, then look to Remy Riou of Auxerre. He is quality young keeper and not as expensive as Kameni or Lloris.

Defence - The centre back position needs to be addressed as you are short of cover with the 2 players above out injured, and if you are playing on patch 8.0.2 you should have Jean Alain Boumsong in your squad, and quite frankly, he is rubbish. Many people would suggest to look to Christopher Samba of Blackburn. He is usually available for less than £2million and is a quality performer. Also, sell Patrick Muller. He isn't a bad defender, but he lacks pace, something that is desperately needed at the back.

Also you need cover at left back as the only one you have is Fabio Grosso. Personally I just retrained Anthony Reveillere to be able to play LB aswell so he could cover both full back spots. If you do want to buy another LB, people usually recommend Armand Traore of Arsenal or Taye Taiwo of Marseille.

Midfield - You alkready have a very strong midfield, the onlt position I would advise to improve is in the DM position. Jean Mkoun of Lille is available for around £8million and is a very good player. If you dont wish to sign another DM then you can train Mathieu Bodmer to a DM, he seems to perfrom very well in whatever position he is used. Besides that you should be alright there. Juninho, despite his age, will perform well for 3 seasons. And never sell Kim Kallstrom, he is brilliant. Assists and goals aplenty.

Strikers - You already have 2 extremely good performers in the shape of Fred and Karim Benzema, but another option isn't bad. I bought Jimmy Briand for £7million. Though not as good on the original game or on patch 8.0.1he will still get you goals.

And there is a joker transfer window which is inbetween the end of the summer transfer window and the beginning of the January one when you can buy/loan one player from another French team.

And last but not least, good luck!

sir frosinone

Good to see another starting as Lyon, I'm just copying and pasting here, but it's generally the same whoever you ask for advice in first season..

First thing you should do is ask your board for extra transfer funds, you should then be given about £30million to spend.At the start of your game you start with a few injuries which will need to be addressed, those are;

Gregory Coupet - 3 months

Cris - 5 months

Cleber Anderson - 11 months

Fred - 2 months

Goalkeepers - Usually people would suggest getting another GK such as Hugo Lloris or Carlos Kameni. In my game I didn't go and buy another keeper and used Remy Vercoutre until Coupet was fit again. Now into my 7th season and he is my 1st choice. If you do go for another keeper, then look to Remy Riou of Auxerre. He is quality young keeper and not as expensive as Kameni or Lloris.

Defence - The centre back position needs to be addressed as you are short of cover with the 2 players above out injured, and if you are playing on patch 8.0.2 you should have Jean Alain Boumsong in your squad, and quite frankly, he is rubbish. Many people would suggest to look to Christopher Samba of Blackburn. He is usually available for less than £2million and is a quality performer. Also, sell Patrick Muller. He isn't a bad defender, but he lacks pace, something that is desperately needed at the back.

Also you need cover at left back as the only one you have is Fabio Grosso. Personally I just retrained Anthony Reveillere to be able to play LB aswell so he could cover both full back spots. If you do want to buy another LB, people usually recommend Armand Traore of Arsenal or Taye Taiwo of Marseille.

Midfield - You alkready have a very strong midfield, the onlt position I would advise to improve is in the DM position. Jean Mkoun of Lille is available for around £8million and is a very good player. If you dont wish to sign another DM then you can train Mathieu Bodmer to a DM, he seems to perfrom very well in whatever position he is used. Besides that you should be alright there. Juninho, despite his age, will perform well for 3 seasons. And never sell Kim Kallstrom, he is brilliant. Assists and goals aplenty.

Strikers - You already have 2 extremely good performers in the shape of Fred and Karim Benzema, but another option isn't bad. I bought Jimmy Briand for £7million. Though not as good on the original game or on patch 8.0.1he will still get you goals.

And therer is a joker transfer period which is inbetween the end of the summer transfer window and the beginning of the January one when you can buy/loan one player from another French team.

And last but not least, good luck!

And just to add to that as you want to play with is it 3 strikers?? If so Bojan on loan, S.Grax is good and cheap, another that might be cheap to begin with and becomes great but is good enough 1st season is David N'Gog

Won two out of three of the league matches I had to replay, the draw coming against PSG who scored two late goals to make it 2-2, and drew my away CL match against Kiev, 1-1 after another late equaliser from the opposition. Annoying.

I'm almost at the end of my first transfer window (8.02) and i desperately need an AMC. I only have Kallstrom to play in that position.

Or you could give me a great AML in that case i could play Ben Arfa at AMC,

I have 10 mil euro left but only want to use 7 mil euro,

So give me some players at AMC or AML many thx.

Btw i tried all the obvious. Also loaning could be an option.

purefun

I'm guessing you have tried Menez?

I've heard Banega plays well as an AMC, although never tried him byself, he's available for loan usually.

Sometimes Man Utd will loan out Nani I think, he'd be a good option.

Luigi Bruins is a good AMC also.

I've just realised your currency is Euros so I have no idea how much you actually have to spend,

Archived