2 questions on Deep-lying forwards

Hi,

2 questions that I'm hoping the collective wisdom of this forum can help with:

1) Is a mentality gap of 7 (Deep Lying Forward = 8, Advanced Forward = 15) to be expected between 2 forwards? (Standard Strategy, Balanced Philosophy in the TC)

Or is it a bug and it should be lower?

2) Um what's the use of Deep-lying forward Attack?

Thanks!

1) The mentality gap of 7 as you say is the standard gap that the TC gives and enables the DLF support to drop deep and find space between the lines. However I find this gap to be large and often the strikers are too far apart. Therefore I usually make the gap about 3 or 4 so there is still a stagger but the deeper forward becomes more of a goal threat and the front two can combine a bit more.

2) A DLF attack off the top of my head has the mentality of other forward attacking roles, has sometimes TTB instead of often in the support role and moves into channels instead of normal wideplay. I tend to use this role when I have a player who doesn't have the express pace of an advanced forward or poacher but still has good movement and passing as they can usually be a good partner for these types. If a player doesn't have great dribbling but good creativity it can also be a good role. Because of the general nature of the role (all options are on sometimes) it can be useful to use on a creative player who has good decisions so they can decide to do. In addition if you're playing a lone striker formation you might decide to use this role as they both look to supply advancing midfielders as well as going for goal themselves. You may have to alter the mentality a bit to fit into you're framework though.

Hope that helps

1) The mentality gap of 7 as you say is the standard gap that the TC gives and enables the DLF support to drop deep and find space between the lines. However I find this gap to be large and often the strikers are too far apart. Therefore I usually make the gap about 3 or 4 so there is still a stagger but the deeper forward becomes more of a goal threat and the front two can combine a bit more.

2) A DLF attack off the top of my head has the mentality of other forward attacking roles, has sometimes TTB instead of often in the support role and moves into channels instead of normal wideplay. I tend to use this role when I have a player who doesn't have the express pace of an advanced forward or poacher but still has good movement and passing as they can usually be a good partner for these types. If a player doesn't have great dribbling but good creativity it can also be a good role. Because of the general nature of the role (all options are on sometimes) it can be useful to use on a creative player who has good decisions so they can decide to do. In addition if you're playing a lone striker formation you might decide to use this role as they both look to supply advancing midfielders as well as going for goal themselves. You may have to alter the mentality a bit to fit into you're framework though.

Hope that helps

Thank you, it helps

Archived