Senegal's Arsenal thread 2005/6 - A redcurranty farewell to the Home of Footballâ„¢

wycombe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">IMO there are plenty of players at Nolans level whereas I think players of the class and potential of Cesc are rare. Hope that's clearer for you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not in the context of what i'm talking about. It's clear, just not relevant.

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In Arsene we trust. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That should be the new motto

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Still think one reinforment of good quality would be advisable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. And its Nolan for you?

If we're still talking potential requisitions for next season, I think it's fairly obvious that we need to strengthen for the players ageing/leaving.

In other words Dennis, Pires, Lehmann, possibly Campbell.

Otherwise in my opinion the squad is fine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nickyh:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Still think one reinforment of good quality would be advisable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. And its Nolan for you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's one of a list of quality, that we could get.

Unless we win the CL, which we have a good chance of doing tbf, we aint getting the likes of Diarra.

Yaya is the other genuine contender for me. There are others, such as Zokora, but they've proved no more than someone like Nolan.

And I agree with your last point Asmo, kind of born out in the lack of changes in my next season team.

I'd be happy with Diaby or Bert starting, but even more so with a top class player right now, to come in and play with Cesc.

I can't see it unless Gilberto leaves, which seems unlikely.

I can't see Arsene buying more central midfielders because it would undermine the players already there, that have done so well this season (Cesc/Diaby/Flamini, albeit out of position mainly).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

If we're still talking potential requisitions for next season, I think it's fairly obvious that we need to strengthen for the players ageing/leaving.

In other words Dennis, Pires, Lehmann, possibly Campbell.

Otherwise in my opinion the squad is fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dennis has been replaced by Adebayor, Pires by Reyes. Both positions have RvP as very able backup.

Lehmann should still be good for a while yet.

Campbell has been replaced well by Senderos - what's needed is quality backup.

Last night wasn't the first time Gordon's been caught out of position. A number of goals he's lost to Celtic in the last year have been very soft.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yaya is the other genuine contender for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be fantastic - Has anyone heard how Ibrahim is doing?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Dennis has been replaced by Adebayor, Pires by Reyes. Both positions have RvP as very able backup.

Lehmann should still be good for a while yet.

Campbell has been replaced well by Senderos - what's needed is quality backup.

Good points but I'd still feel more happy with more cover - not Chelsea style of course.

Last night wasn't the first time Gordon's been caught out of position. A number of goals he's lost to Celtic in the last year have been very soft. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In squad terms I mean. We need four strikers, two left-wingers, two-three keepers and four centre-backs.

We have them now, but Bergkamp, Pires, Lehmann and eventually Sol will need replacing in squad terms, not necessarily in starting positions, as you correectly pointed out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Vassiriki </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now you mention it whats the correct moniker for

Diaby - Abou or Vassiriki

Fabregas - Cesc or... er Fabregas

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

In squad terms I mean. We need four strikers, two left-wingers, two-three keepers and four centre-backs.

We have them now, but Bergkamp, Pires, Lehmann and eventually Sol will need replacing in squad terms, not necessarily in starting positions, as you correectly pointed out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

GK: Lehmann, Almunia

RB: Eboue, Lauren, Gilbert

LB: Cole, Clichy, Flamini

CB: Toure, Senderos

RM: Ljunberg, Hleb, Walcott

LM: Reyes, Van Persie

CM: Fabregas, Gilberto, Diaby, Hleb

ST: Henry, Adebayor, Van Persie, Reyes, Lupoli

I'd say the squad, with the exception of centre half, looks fairly well covered, though admittedly a lot of the players are potentially world class, as opposed to actually being world class.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

There is also the chance of Julio Baptista as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we don't need him anymore

I'd take him up front or as a long-term Gilberto replacement; but only if he grovelled and issued a public statement along the lines of "joining Real Madrid over Arsenal was the biggest mistake of my career, which I realised when I played against them and they outclassed us."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">He can whistle for it- keep your milk Baptista. [/bitter] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My sentiments exactly

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">joining Real Madrid over Arsenal was the biggest mistake of my career, which I realised when I played against them and they outclassed us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right this second, I think he'd consider doing that. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd take him up front or as a long-term Gilberto replacement; but only if he grovelled and issued a public statement along the lines of "joining Real Madrid over Arsenal was the biggest mistake of my career, which I realised when I played against them and they outclassed us." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

would be nice but he only joined Madrid to get a Spanish passport. I think Baptista would be able to be Gilberto's long term replacement. Didnt he start off as a defensive midfielder? Anyways, we need a goal-scoring midfielder.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

We have them now, but Bergkamp, Pires, Lehmann and eventually Sol will need replacing in squad terms, not necessarily in starting positions, as you correectly pointed out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

GK: Lehmann, Almunia

RB: Eboue, Lauren, Gilbert

LB: Cole, Clichy, Flamini

CB: Toure, Senderos, Djourou

RM: Ljunberg, Hleb, Walcott

LM: Reyes, Van Persie

CM: Fabregas, Gilberto, Diaby, Hleb

ST: Henry, Adebayor, Van Persie, Reyes, Lupoli

I'd say the squad, with the exception of centre half, looks fairly well covered, though admittedly a lot of the players are potentially world class, as opposed to actually being world class. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd say the squad, with the exception of centre half, looks fairly well covered, though admittedly a lot of the players are potentially world class, as opposed to actually being world class. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is three players imo, in that side that are world-class. Thats more than most teams tbh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Henry, Cole and......Cesc? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Henry, Cole and Toure

Asmodeus-if i was to use awesome then i would be talking about every Arsenal player wouldnt i?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What's everyone's take on the phrase "world class", just out of interest?

I guess mine would be thus: a world class player would get into any team in the world.

Pointless discussion, but I'm so bored I might shat my leg off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bored as well. icon_smile.gif

For me that is what world class is. That and the fact that they have been brilliant for years. Thats why i havent included Cesc or Lehmann as world class.

What's everyone's take on the phrase "world class", just out of interest?

I guess mine would be thus: a world class player would get into any team in the world.

Pointless discussion, but I'm so bored I might shat my leg off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd say it's a player who's proven that they can play brilliantly at the very highest level against the very best in the game.

Cesc isn't world class yet, but in the past few weeks has produced 2 world class performances (that I've watched anyway) against Real Madrid in the Bernabeu, and against Juventus at Highbury. So in my opinion, Cesc is starting to show that he's capable of being world class.

I wouldn't regard Rooney in the same boat though - he's a very good player, but in my opinion hasn't done it against the very best in Europe for Man Utd, or internationally for England, to be regarded as world class at the moment. He's done enough to proved that he's European class and International Class, but he's yet to show he's capable of making the step up to world class.

I dont understand why everyone is giving bertie such a hard time, he's bee great for the past few weeks, and provides us with good cover and more importantly he gives cesc a lot of freedom which Diarra or Yaya might not. PS wher the hec is Fran?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I dont understand why everyone is giving bertie such a hard time, he's bee great for the past few weeks, and provides us with good cover and more importantly he gives cesc a lot of freedom which Diarra or Yaya might not. PS wher the hec is Fran? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ive never been a Gilberto fan and tbh he must be the worst passer of the ball (yes worse than Hleb) in our First team squad. There are far better players for us to have in that position tbh.

Gilbertos a good player. However, as good as he is in a middle 3, he has become increasingly average in a 4-4-2, and I expect us still to stick to that in 90% of games, so we do have to be sure of a Cesc partner imo.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I dont understand why everyone is giving bertie such a hard time, he's bee great for the past few weeks, and provides us with good cover and more importantly he gives cesc a lot of freedom which Diarra or Yaya might not. PS wher the hec is Fran? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ive never been a Gilberto fan and tbh he must be the worst passer of the ball (yes worse than Hleb) in our First team squad. There are far better players for us to have in that position tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe, but I dont think its the most important issue and also from what I saw of Yaya, he seems to go forward a lot, not really a bertie type player.

Bertie's just replaced Jens now that he's playing so well- when Arsenal hit form people probe for potential weakness, like they did in the unbeaten year by criticising Lehmann.

Seeing as Gilberto is the least spectacular player in the Arsenal line-up and does the majority of the unseen work, he is the new supposed weak link, or area of improvement.

My opinion anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

Gilbertos a good player. However, as good as he is in a middle 3, he has become increasingly average in a 4-4-2, and I expect us still to stick to that in 90% of games, so we do have to be sure of a Cesc partner imo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He;s distribution isnt great, but thats not his job, he gives the back four protection and covers eboue or flamini brilliantly when they go boming forward. Theres been 3 or 4 occasions where eboue was caught upfeild, but bertie saved it from it being an issue.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goon:

ive never been a Gilberto fan and tbh he must be the worst passer of the ball (yes worse than Hleb) in our First team squad. There are far better players for us to have in that position tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe, but I dont think its the most important issue and also from what I saw of Yaya, he seems to go forward a lot, not really a bertie type player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's an extremely important issue.

Gilberto's most important role is breaking up opposition attacks and winning back possession. What's the use of him doing that if half the time he presents the ball straight back to the opposition?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goon:

Maybe, but I dont think its the most important issue and also from what I saw of Yaya, he seems to go forward a lot, not really a bertie type player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gilberto's most important role is breaking up opposition attacks and winning back possession. What's the use of him doing that if half the time he presents the ball straight back to the opposition? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but he doesnt give it away that often.

Gilberto's most important role is breaking up opposition attacks and winning back possession. What's the use of him doing that if half the time he presents the ball straight back to the opposition? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but he doesnt give it away that often. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough, but his passing ability is still massively important. You can't be a good midfielder if you're not a good passer of the ball.

Archived