[FM11] Mr Gregory & Mighty Worksop take on Dafuge 2011

Valix

Worksop_Town_FC_Badge.png

Trophy Room & History

Season Reviews

11/12 - Worksop appoint Gregory who promises to rebuild from scratch and attain European Glory & No1 club

12/13 - Tigers roar into Blue Square Premier, (featuring in depth interview by Clive Anderson)

13/14 - Agony for Gregory's lads as they miss the playoffs by a single point

Gregory takes charge at Worksop

The Worksop Town board have announced the appointment of John Gregory as the club's new manager. It is alleged he will be trying to take the club from it's current position top flight and European glory.

Manager Attributes Manager Personal

Information & History

Worksop Town Football Club are a semi-professional English football club from Worksop, Nottinghamshire who play in the Northern Premier League Premier Division. The club claims to have been founded in 1861, which would make it the fourth oldest football club in the world today, behind Sheffield FC, founded in 1857; Cray Wanderers and Hallam FC, both founded in 1860.

The club were based at Sandy Lane, but in May 2008 were forced to relocate to Hucknall Town's Watnall Road ground. This agreement ended in May 2009 and a new agreement was reached with Ilkeston Town. During May 2010, it was announced that for the 2010/11 and 2011/12 seasons, they would be playing at Retford United's Cannon Park ground.

Worksop have spent much of their existence in the Midland League, with brief spells in both the Sheffield and Yorkshire leagues. In 1974, they joined the Northern Premier League Premier Division and remained there until their relegation to Division One in 1989. They were promoted nine years later and were founding members of the Conference North in 2004 before their relegation back to the Northern Premier League Premier Division after three seasons. It is the seventh tier of the English national league system, six leagues below the Barclays Premier League.

The Tigers have also reached the last 64 of the FA Cup on four occasions, meeting Chelsea, Southend United and Tottenham Hotspur in the first round in 1908, 1922 and 1923 respectively, whilst narrowly losing to Swindon Town in the third round in 1956. They have made the proper round draw on three other occasions, the most recent of which was 2001, succumbing to Bournemouth 3-0 in the first round with goals from Richard Hughes, James Hayter and Steve Fletcher.

Base Information & Kit

Facilities

I'll be updating each season. After looking through other threads I thought it only fitting to copy/borrow/steal/"tribute to" Dafuges now legendary Tooting thread. Let's get the pre-season out of way and see what happens =)

Damn, I'm in league one and a BSS side is still selling more season tickets than me :(

I'm sure that you can make this club successful, at least your clairman will be there to stay and you don't have a debt!

Good luck

Flamers

Worksop Town - Trophy Room & History

Trophies

Blue Square North Champions	12/13

History

Season	League			Pos	FA-C	FA-T
11/12	Blue Square North	19	2Q	2R
12/13	Blue Square North	1	3Q	1R
13/14	Blue Square Premier	6	4Q	Semi

2011/12 - Worksop Town - Blue Square North

Season Review

In what was a long hard and ultimately disappointing season, we achieved our hope of avoiding the drop the BSN. After having only 1 point from 8 games including a 6 game losing streak, we were propping up the table and the pressure was on. The team was finding it hard to gel and we were hurting badly from injuries, poor discipline and fatigue. Thing started getting a little better towards mid season, but we were still yo-yoing in and out of the drop zone. It was to come down to the final game of the season before we secured our BSN safety, although we had to rely on other results.

Competitions

League Table

Position Graph - Records destroyed in a fire....

FA Cup - A sorry showing against North Ferriby. Very disappointing to go out in the 2nd qualifying round.

FA Trophy - Lost in the 2nd round against superior opposition in the form of Wrexham

Squad

Best Eleven

Squad - Records destroyed in a fire....

Transfers

Key Players

Daniel Leach - A rock in the center of defence and also voted Fans Player of the Year

Christiano Montano - With a name as flash as that, I expected good things from this kid and he didn't disappoint. Didn't play as many games as I would have liked because of injury but still did a good job.

Andrew Milne - Top goalscorer and nice assist record. Poor compared to a good team, but best of my bunch ;)

Geek Stuff

Overall Best Eleven

Boardroom - Records destroyed in a fire....

Records

Scouting Knowledge

Next Season Hopes

I'm hoping for a mid-table position and maybe with a bit of luck sniffing at the playoffs. The team is very young and now they're a year older and working together, we should see some of that potential. I'll be looking for one or two signings to strengthen the squad and improve the backroom staff. Here's hoping...

I know. I changed tactics for that match from 442 to 4322, with the AM being AMwide and we destroyed them. When I saw how great we were I thought I was some sort of genius who had pulled off a tatical masterstroke. The very next game we went back to our sorry ways =(

P.S to everyone. Still struggling to find the right balance / format between text / screenshot / links so bear with me =)

2012/13 - Worksop Town - Blue Square North

MIGHTY TIGERS ROAR INTO BSP - Worksop Weekly - Season Review by Clive Anderson

Worksop won the league. First of all, let me congratulate you on a job well done. Second, just how did you pull it off?

To be honest Clive, I'm not quite sure. I was expecting mid table with maybe looking at the playoffs if things went well. To win the league was fantastic and show what great lads we have at home. They've played magnificently all season, I'm chuffed to bits.

You picked your asssistant manager, Dean Marney out of obscurity. The critics were out in force. How do you think he's done this season?

I'm delighted with his contribution Clive. He's been solid all round for us. I'm surprised he accepted the job offer with our reputation, but he's played vital part in the success we've had at the club. He has an eye for a good player and is in the know when it comes to the tactical side of things. Not only that, but he's dealt with all the press conferences and what not. As manager, press conferences are one side of the game I just don't get on with. Never enough readers in my opinion. Worksop Weekly will be read by the real fans I'm sure.

Needless to say, you've done an excellent job at Worksop this season and was the front runner for Manager of the Season. When the voting ended, you didn't even make the top 3. How do you think that happened?

Professional jealousy. That's all I can put it down to Clive. Worksop were tipped for relegation at the start of the season and yet here we are walking away as champions. As you well know, I'm not keen on many managers and I guess that played a part in the voting.

Sam Hart and another player also missed out on Player of the Season. Any thoughts?

I'm truly gutted for Sam. He deserved this after the performances he's put in this season. He's still young though so plenty of time to impress.

Match congestion has been a hot topic in the media the last few years. Do you think this is a problem?

Well at one point of the season we had 9 matches in 3 weeks, a few of which were against potential playoff rivals. At that point, we were flying high in the league but had played more matches than our rivals, in the case of Nuneaton, who were 6 points behind, they had 4 games in hand. We struggled over the Christmas and New Year period simply due to fatigue. In hindsight, it's a blessing we were knocked out of the cups, or it could have been much worse.

It was a very tight battle for the title this year. With only 4 games left, there was only 1 point seperating the top 4 teams. How did this affect you?

I was watching the other results more than I was watching my players if I'm perfectly honest.

Worksop like to keep their fans in suspense, last year they had to wait til the very last match to secure safety, this year again it was down to the last match for the League title...

Yes. We needed to win to guarantee the title and against weaker opposition we should have managed it quite easily. I think the pressure got the the lads and we only managed a draw. Luckily for us, Southport also had a 0-0 draw which meant we remained at the top.

Andrew Milne was selected as Fans Player of the Year this season. Do you agree with the fans decision?

Andy had a great season. He put in solid performances this year with 8 goals, 14 assists and 6 MoM, he really was a key player for us. Personally I would have given the award to George King. We conceded 6 goals in 2 matches when George was injured. When George was in the team, we had to go back 11 games before the total conceded was 6. Amazing statistic.

Speaking of amazing statistics, it was just under 2 seasons before one of you players scored multiple goals in a single game...

Aye, I noticed that too. Suprisingly the brace came from Hart, our left Winger. Unfortunately for him the record didn't stand for long. Mannion grabbed a hat-trick a few games later. It never rains, it pours.

Gregory takes us through some important statistics of the season....

Competitions

League Table

Position Graph

FA Cup - We got beat by our fiercest rivals, Gainsborough, 4-0, although the result flattered them completely.

FA Trophy - Lost badly to Alfreton. With the performance we put it, we deserved to lose.

Squad

Best Eleven

Squad

Transfers

Key Players

Sam Hart - He had an oustanding season for us from left midfield With just shy of double figures in goals and just in double figures assists I'm delighted with what Sam produced this season

George King - Our star played in my book. A rock in defence. We conceded 6 goals in 2 games after George got injured. With George in the team, it took 11 games previously to concede that many!!

Ethan Mannion - Took a while for him to get going but produced the goods when it counted. He also bagged a hat-trick against Worcestor after we went 1-0 down. Hero of the hour.

Geek Stuff

Overall Best Eleven

Boardroom

Records

Scouting Knowledge

So now you're in the Blue Square Premier, what are your hopes for the coming season?

I'm just hoping to stay up there Clive. I keep repeating myself but we have a very young squad who are only getting better with age. I will be looking to bring 3-4 players in with a little more experience but I'm happy with the squad I have. I may have to release a few players because although we've been promoted, it doesn't mean we're flush all of a sudden.

2013/14 - Worksop Town - Blue Square North

WORKSOP MISS OUT ON PLAYOFFS BY A SINGLE POINT

Season Review

After an amazing start to the season we held our own fairly well throughout. Always near the top of the table and the playoffs we did a great job. Things went south as the season drew to a close with a major slide down the table in March. We managed to pick it back up in the last few games but it wasn't enough. Very disappointed to miss out on the playoffs this year.

The board still won't find me a parent club and of course don't have the funds to get us our own ground. We were starting to pack the fans in to our 2000 capacity stadium and hopefully will see more next year for a bit of revenue.

Competitions

League Table

Position Graph

FA Cup - Mansfield beat us plain and simple in the 4th Qualifying Round.

FA Trophy - Pleased to reach the semi finals, although losing to non-league Whitby Town was something of a disappointment. Needless to say, I gave my squad a good rollicking.

Squad

Best Eleven

Squad

Transfers

Key Players

George King - Voted Fans Player of the Year. Solid and dependable as usual. Had a couple of cards but nothing that would make me drop him. Future legend IMO.

Ollie Chenworth - The man between the sticks. Saved our skin on more than one occasion. Played in practically every game.

Stefan Connor - I thought he would have been more prolific in front of goal but it wasn't to be. Nonetheless, he's managed to grab 14 assists to go with his 10 goals this season. Good stuff.

Geek Stuff

Overall Best Eleven

Boardroom

Records

Next Season

Won't be satisfied with anything less than promotion next year. We have the squad to do it. I'll ne doubt be looking at one or two players to bolster the squad for the fight against injuries and fatigue but I'm delighted with what we have so far.

Archived