FMS Awards 2006 (No, you're neither drunk nor a tad late in waking up from hibernation ;) )

Raptor

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chesterfan2:

Suma,

No need to hide. I have no quarrel with people who know how to use capital letters and form paragraphs with their words.

Seriously. If my ideas for new awards are a bit, well, negative, how about this one instead..... Grumpiest FMSer. A winner I'm sure you'll agree. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's nothing new about it, we already have the Grumpies which are hosted by me and are when I deem fit.

Ok, voting is about to end. Last call for those who still want to. Depending on what time I get home tonight, I'll either count all votes this evening, or tomorrow. Consider this stoppage time, it can be over any minute icon_wink.gif

Anyone with anything to add to the discussion about the categories is always welcome to do so of course. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chesterfan2:

*seconded*

how long can it take to count 14 votes anyway ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe he can't count icon_rolleyes.gif

What BoN said :/

Been working several 12-14 hour shifts, and am completely ****ing shattered at the moment. Counting will have to wait (it's not just adding up some votes, it's registering it in a currently rather unwilling database that's taking time) until Friday, when what I hoped would be a truly free day will be wasted by people doing maintenance work on my house. Since I have to be up at 7am and basically just sit around the house and be there so the feckers can do their job, I'll have plenty of time then.

To answer the question how long it takes to count these votes... icon_razz.gif

Been at it for 35 minutes, trying to de-code some of your votes. So far we've had: one unclaimed vote (discounted), two or three people voting for themselves (not against the rules but VFYIL icon_razz.gif ), votes in the wrong categories, votes for previous winners of categories (though tbf, I forgot to post that now traditional restriction), and one dissident voting against PM7 (take him out and shoot him icon_mad.gif ).

Results are forthcoming...

Ok, there we go...

Out of the nine categories, three failed to come up with a finalist on the basis of this first interim vote.

Best Short Story only got three nominations, all different ones, so no finalist there. The same goes for Best Story Idea, where out of nine votes, only two went to the same candidate.

Most importantly, the overall Story of the Year category was robbed of an early finalist, not because the story pulling most votes failed to reach the "third-plus-one/rounded up" target, but because it's total share of the vote was restricted to 3, where 4 were required for any story to be assured of a place in October's final. Nevertheless, I need to PP ! PP-70 that is (chesterfan2) will probably be remembered by enough people come the next voting window.

On to the categories that did produce clear enough winners for an early FMS Awards 2006 Nomination then...

Starting off with the consolation prize: I need to PP ! PP-70 that is (chesterfan2) does go into the Best Rest of the World category final. 4 votes (36%) here did the trick.

Meanwhile, Terk must've given half of youse head during my less-active period of the past few months. Quite how else he won FOUR categories is comfortably beyond me icon_razz.gif

Everybody's favourite Jambo (sorry wee Euan) will feature in October's end-of-season finale in the following categories:

Best Story Character - Stephen Beckett - Whisky and Women (Terk) 4 votes/36%

Best Story Title - I've got ninety thousand pounds in my pyjamas... (Terk) 4 votes/36%

Best British Story - Whisky and Women (Terk) 5 votes/56%

... and last but not least: the first unanimous decision in FMS Awards history... 100% of the (valid) votes in the Best Fantasy/Super League Story category (4 votes). Of course, Spav's "Down Under..." story (3 votes!!!) was ineligible due to winning it in '05.

This just edges out the support Peacemaker7 got in Best International Management Story. Out of 10 votes, he won 9, 8 of which went to To Boldly Go As Faroe As We Can (Peacemaker7), that also ran chesterfan2 close in terms of overall SOTY votes.

So there you have it. Let the biatching commence icon_razz.gif

Unacustomed as I am to making public speeches, I really would like to thank everyone who voted for me. To nearly get the Story of the Year nomination is truly humbling (though probably not as humbling as actually getting it.) icon_wink.gif

Right I'm confused.

So, whats the status of stories in this voting period that haven't won nominations, can they still be voted in during future nomination periods or is that their chance gone. And what constitutes a position when, if, a story becomes ineligble to be nominated - apart of course from the fact it already has a place in the final.

There may be some stories that perhaps you don't feel are worthy of nomination yet, but which may grow in the future and you suddenly realise that hey, this is quite good.

Anything that didn't make it, can still be voted for again in the next nomination round(s), for the exact reason specified in your last paragraph. icon_smile.gif

The current process is just to pre-book the leading stories in the earlier part of the FM season their place in the final.

If anything, I would assume the ones that didn't make it yet, would have a head start in the next interim round, because people who backed it before, might do it again, and those who backed the story that already got into the final will need to find another one to nominate (if they choose to vote, of course).

And at the end of the FM season, there'll be a free-for-all round where the remaining slots in the final (in principle: 4 per category) will be allocated on the basis of the old system, whereby the highest number of votes counts (the old "First Round Vote" system).

Only thing people need to keep in mind is that a story cannot win the same award twice, so anything that's won in a previous year (and we're obviously talking about ongoing stories here) can't win that category again, so as an extension of that, it can also not be nominated. Obviously, winning a geographical subcategory one year still makes a story eligible for SOTY in the next.

Archived