wing backs, libero and a Capello styled 3-4-1-2

the formation in question used by Capello's AS Roma side:

roma_scudetto_2001_totti_batistuta_.jpg

Zonal Marking article on the subject

Download link

In many ways I see this as a natural development of my Zona Mista experiment, this formation just simply have more bite and better link up play in attack (much due to the amc), while still providing decent defence, the use of wing backs instead of an LB/MR combo seams to work slightly better (in the ME wing backs, whit the natural instinct to get forward, seams act a bit more like i expect them to, compared to MR/ML who's natural instinct would be to drop deep no mather what instructions they are handed in a formation like this one).

So far I have only had limited opportunities to playtest the tactic, but the intial trial of games vs weeker sides with my Roma team (where i can gamble on testing stuff) and a pre-session with West Ham surely make it look very promising, it does much like the real life incarnation, work silly good vs weeker teams playing 4-4-2.

help with constructive criticism and playtesting would be much appreciated

What do you think is the best way to setup the central midfield? Right now I have one as a box to box and the other as a DLP. Seems to be working so far but I feel I could do better

Capello likes to play 2 very defencive minded players in the central midfield, and the line of 4 in this system played a tad deeper then it would in a regular 4-4-2, his chose of players for these roles also suggest that it was hard working players in Emerson, Tomassi and Zanetti, hence a pair of ball winners would make sense IMO, nether of these players would come close to being playmakers ether...

This was back in the good old days of Gazzetta Football Italia on Channel 4, and a very good Roma team (as of course mentioned in the ZM article I've just re-read!)

I'm currently rocking a very successful 4-3-1-2 with AC Milan in 2019 so it wouldn't take much to switch to this formation. None of my midfielders are of the hard working type of Zanetti and Di Tomassi but I think it could work. I may intermittently trial throughout the coming season and see how it goes (in the Italian Cup for example) before I decide to switch to it permanently, and I'll let you know how I get on.

• 4 weeks later...

Another link would be good as the Filefront one just comes up with "404 - file not found" when you click to download. Failing that, you could always post your team/player instructions so that we can replicate it.

filefront have been unstable for a number of ppl over the last week (I suspect they did some form of maintenance or site upgrade and removed old files) the links seams messed up after that, I will try to re-upload, if that dont work I will figure out how to use a different upload site

edit: link in first post updated, does atleast seam to work for me now

I've used it with my Ac Milan side for an entire season pretty successfully. My line up is as follows....

-------------Adrian--Pato---------

---------------Vukcevic-----------

-----------Di Rossi--Flamini-------

-Van Damme-----------Zuniga-

-----------Silva-----Onyewu-----

----------------Mexes--------------

----------------Abiati---------------

Adrian is my deep lying forward

Pato is my advanced forward

Vukcevic is my playmaker

both CM's are played defensively

WB's and CD's are standard

Mexes is played as an attack oriented libero against weaker or equal teams

If it's a tight game I put Mexes on as a support duty libero and swap out my AMC for Sandro as a defensive midfielder and change one of MC's to support.

Archived