How much notice do you take from Asst Man's advice?

I have been playing a narrow 4-1-3-2 tactic, with a little success. Tenth in the Premiership [please refer to post lower down]. Now, my assistant manager has given me the following advise. The team is better playing a 4-5-1 formation. Also, it is better playing with a deep defensive line, playing narrow and with a slow tempo. What are your experiences of such advice and is it better to ignore or follow said advice? My assistant has average attributes for tactics and tactical knowledge. Kind regards.

Depends on who I have. Normally I go foh high JPP, Motivating, Man Management and low Level of Discipline but when I was stuck I'd hire a high tactical, tactical knowledge and my style of favoured formations etc then I'd listen to him!

Thanks Jenko, I'd forgotten about the favourite formation bit. Something else I've just thought on about, How about trying to get all of your coaches having the same formation and strategy ideas? I shall have to check that out as well.

I've had my share of excellent assistants, however, I ignore their advice 99% of the time. I find it's simply useless in all honesty, whether it's in-match feedback or other type. Actually, I would try to implement the in-match feedback if it wasn't as vague, and if it gave actual suggestions as to what to do, instead of saying something like "we're not completing enough passes". Thanks for that, can you please be a bit more obvious next time, maybe tell me what color kits the opposition is wearing.

The formation advice is really nothing special. All the assistant does is give you the best possible formation which fits your best players' natural positions. My advice is to ignore it and instead check the preferred formation of the manager you've replaced at the current club. Your team will most likely be more consistent if you were to go with a formation they already know, or one that is similar. Then a bit later you can try changing the shape slightly to something more preferable by you.

Archived