Struggling against the same type of play

I'm at a loss with this one .. Started a game with Leeds in League 1 - so I have one of the better squads in the division and things are bubbling along well enough.

However, I seem to be struggling against the same type of set up over and over again .. I'm basically hanging on by the skin of my teeth away from home and managing to grab draws due to the over-reliance on Jermaine Beckford.

Its always when the scouts report that the opposition in the upcoming away game reports that they play an attacking, high tempo, 442 on a short pitch. Every game I'm being outplayed and out possessed and they are racking up 15+ shots against me every game. I've tried so many different combinations of formations, tactics, shouts, oppo instructions and I can't seem to stop the torrent of attacks the opposition throw at me .. I've played with ultra defensive mentalities, pure counter attack, a more balanced game, even all out attack (which does usually save me in the end of games when needing a goal) - but no matter what I do, even the poorest teams in the divisions launch one attack after another after another and I'm powerless to stop it - it is a case of you score 3, I'll score 3 ... at least ..

Any suggestions?

Firstly, you say you rely heavily on Jermaine Beckford, this isn't a problem in my opinion as long as he's fit and does the job! So you struggle against a high-tempo, attacking 4-4-2 on a short pitch. Well, use that to your advantage, possibly play a 4-4-2 of your own with defensive wingers, a deep lying playmaker to pass to Beckford and a ball-winning midfielder to stop them from playing with attacking midfielders. The pitch is short so direct passing isn't going to work particularly well, short passing slow tempo, slow the game down and as you're the dominant side let them chase you and your deep lying playmaker will play the through balls to Beckford. They play attacking with a high tempo so play control with a slow tempo and get them tired as if you're still in first season most players won't have the stamina in your league to chase shadows for 90 minutes. Hope I helped :)

Archived