The Numerous Issues I Face

Well let me start off by saying that i have searched through countless threads and thoroughly read the T&T i still cannot work out where i'am going wrong. So here are the issues that i have:

Converting Chances - I would say 8/10 games i have the most shots on goal and i usually have my fair share of CCC. But why is it i can only score 1 or 2 goals each game, i very rarely score more than that.

Leaking sloppy goals - Personally speaking my defence seem to have a mind of their own and have no common sense, never mind a footballing brain. My CB will close down opposing midfielders and ignore the fact that they are leaving a huge gap at the back. My fullbacks also do the same however when it comes to closing down crosses they suddenly give up and let the opposing wingers have all the time in the world. I suppose the logical thing to do would be reduce the mentality and reduce the closing down, but then my team just invites pressure and defend way too deep and concede even more goals.

Unable to convert crosses - Now i know the above two i have mensioned could surely be sorted out by getting the right balance in tactics but for this issue i'am baffled. I could have beckham and giggs on the wings and have crouch and carew as a strike partnership and still not get a decent return of goals from crosses. This is no joke but i would say 80% of the time my strikers actually make a connection with the ball resulting from a cross it either goes flying over the bar or just wide from goal.

Marking - Well there is nothing much to say here other than my team has no sense of marking at all. The majority of the time my CB's are set to man marking (i would presume they will be marking the strikers) but like i said in the post about leaking sloppy goals, they will venture off and do their own thing.

The reason i have posted this thread is because i have tried almost everything and this is the last place i can think of in attempting to get some answers to my problems, i refuse to download someone else's tactic because i have no sense of achievement from doing that. I would appreciate if some'one has the answers if they would share them with me.

Some pieces of information you might like. My usual team is sunderland, i usually play a flat 4-4-2 with a balanced mentality.

First thing I'd do is zonal mark with the DCs. Man-marking can make them follow the wrong player if he's swapped position.

The other stuff I'd need more detailed information before I can help i.e. what roles are you employing, is the squad gelled, how aggressive do you tend to be, what shouts do you employ etc, etc.

First thing I'd do is zonal mark with the DCs. Man-marking can make them follow the wrong player if he's swapped position.

The other stuff I'd need more detailed information before I can help i.e. what roles are you employing, is the squad gelled, how aggressive do you tend to be, what shouts do you employ etc, etc.

Here is the team instructions that are set:

teaminstructions.jpg

I always use the tactics wizard and keep the default settings unless stated.

In terms of roles they are as follows:

Goalkeeper - defend

Full backs - automatic (long shots - rarely ... run with ball - rarely)

Centre backs - defend

Wide midfielders - support (long shots - sometimes)

Central midfielder - defend (long shots - rarely ... cross ball - rarely)

Central midfielder - support (run with ball - rarely ... cross ball - rarely)

Deep lying forward - support (long shots - sometimes)

Advanced forward - attack

Generally speaking i play each match using the standard strategy. Although if i face a top 4 side then i will change to 'counter', or if i face a lower division side i will change to 'control'. In terms of match shouts i dont often use them during the game until towards the end of the match if i'm in a winning position then i will go defensive and vice-versa . My assistant currently thinks that there is a lack of cohesion omongst the players.

p.s i appreciate your help.

I've had a great deal of defensive success with a 4-4-2 by reducing the closing down and compensating by giving my defensive CM a ball winning role. This allows my back four to get into a solid line while my ball winner harries the opposition. He needs good stamina and work rate, but it's working a treat.

Got to say I feel your pain. I read through Cleons Sheff Utd thread and while the tactic he uses is made to fit his squad he gives useful insight into how he changes things before and during the game. He obviously doesnt always get it right but you can see he reasoning and he generally is successful. Give it a read and see what you think.

I've had a great deal of defensive success with a 4-4-2 by reducing the closing down and compensating by giving my defensive CM a ball winning role. This allows my back four to get into a solid line while my ball winner harries the opposition. He needs good stamina and work rate, but it's working a treat.
Got to say I feel your pain. I read through Cleons Sheff Utd thread and while the tactic he uses is made to fit his squad he gives useful insight into how he changes things before and during the game. He obviously doesnt always get it right but you can see he reasoning and he generally is successful. Give it a read and see what you think.

Thanks for your advice guys, I will let you know how I get on with my Sunderland save.

The lack of cohesion will be one major issue. I generally deal with it by playing more conservatively than I would with a better gelled squad to try and grind out wins.

Focus passing down the flanks might also be causing you a few problems, especially as your FBS are being told to never run with the ball. You are basically getting the ball out wide and then limiting the options once you have it out there, which will cause moves to stagnate, leading to hurried shots or the loss of possession in dangerous areas. Both of these will be made worse by the lack of cohesion. Unless your MCs are weak, I'd consider removing that as a standard strategy.

I'd also consider having at least one wide player on an Attack duty. You are compressing your own play too much with your current set up, meaning you have no outlets.

Counter Attack makes your team stream forward when the opposition is outnumbered at the back. While for a gelled squad this can be devastating, for an ungelled one it can lead to big holes at the back. Again, I'd be cautious when employing it with a standard strategy and ungelled side.

The lack of cohesion will be one major issue. I generally deal with it by playing more conservatively than I would with a better gelled squad to try and grind out wins.

Focus passing down the flanks might also be causing you a few problems, especially as your FBS are being told to never run with the ball. You are basically getting the ball out wide and then limiting the options once you have it out there, which will cause moves to stagnate, leading to hurried shots or the loss of possession in dangerous areas. Both of these will be made worse by the lack of cohesion. Unless your MCs are weak, I'd consider removing that as a standard strategy.

I'd also consider having at least one wide player on an Attack duty. You are compressing your own play too much with your current set up, meaning you have no outlets.

Counter Attack makes your team stream forward when the opposition is outnumbered at the back. While for a gelled squad this can be devastating, for an ungelled one it can lead to big holes at the back. Again, I'd be cautious when employing it with a standard strategy and ungelled side.

very helpful indeed thanks. You read the game very well i must say, perhaps you could maybe bring champions league success for chelsea next season considering Ancelotti failed :D

Archived