[FM10] The 2nd Best Career Thread Featuring Tooting & Mitcham

jld123

Firstly, don't expect anything flashy from me, like pictures and whatnot, as it seems like too much fuss. I'm just going to play my game, write about anything interesting that happens, however small it may be, and then post these inane ramblings on here for anyone that wants to read them. Now that I've lowered your expectations, I'll get on.

FM2010, England, Small DB, Prem to BSN/BSS, No edits - i.e potentially boring

Also, my username is embarassingly bad, so feel free to call me Jack if needs be.

Season 2010/2011 - Tooting & Mitcham United - BSS

I decided to holiday for a year and take over a team promomted to the BSN or BSS. Tooting & Mitcham popped up and having watched them play Stockport County this season in the FA Cup, and knowing that their nickname was 'The Terrors', I thought I'd give them a go.

Media Prediction - 22nd

Board Expectation - Attempt to avoid relegation

I had to sign a whole new team, so got 13 players in.

I realised this season would be bad, because unless a miracle happens, 13 strangers, mostly all kids, can't play football to any great standard, no matter how good the individuals are. Therefore, I wasn't surprised when the team was very inconsistent, only occasionally showing what I believed to be their true potential. This shaky form saw us hovering above the relegation zone at the turn of the year, having been beaten 6-0 on boxing day, 4-0 and 4-0 the following two fixtures. Morale was rock bottom, and form was atrocious. I also realised I had been paying way too much in wages, and the club was spiralling into debt.

What a start.

Anyway, I struggled on until the end of February when the team was 11 points from safety, adrift at the bottom of the league. I had done enough damage to this club, I handed in my resignation. One of the worst starts to my career I could have imagined. Let's do it all again next June.

Season 2011/2012 - Boston United - BSN

Another team just promoted to this league, but with a bigger fanbase and higher expectations. Should be interesting.

Media Prediction - 14th

Board Expectation - Safe Mid-Table Position

This time there was more pressure, I took a different approach pre-season than I did last time, only signing 7 players who had more experience than the 13 at Tooting, but I also signed players on frees sporadically throughout the season. I had also unknowingly signed an all-English team which was a surprise, not a single player from Scotland or Ireland or wherever.

Match Day number 1 comes around and a 7-0 loss ensues. 3 more losses followed before a lucky win. Maybe they aren't gelling again. Or maybe I'm an awful manager ... nah.

December rolls around and I feel like punching some of my players in their stupid virtual faces, I'm rock bottom with 1 league win all season. Win number 2 comes on December 17th, just as I'm thinking of jumping before being pushed, but that win is followed by an extraordinary (by my standards) run of 4 wins and a draw, scoring 15 and conceding just 2. After that I continued to be inconsistent, but that was much better than consistently losing.

Finishing Position - 17th

Season 2012/2013 - Boston United - BSN

If the players gel this season and cut out the inconsistency, I think we can do half decent if I bring in one or two players to plug the gaps.

Media Prediction - 17th

Board Expectation - Consolidate

Got rid of all the useless dross that were here when I arrived, which left the squad looking qutie thin, but I needed to free up some of the wage budget. Signed a 38 year old eccentric keeper who I'm sure will have me tearing my hair out more than once this season. He's got a League 2 winners medal though so he can't be all bad. Took advantage of Sutton's relegation by snapping up a pacey Jamaican winger who looks like he could do well in League football, as well as a rock of a centre-half from them.

4 games without a win began the season, before dominating Northwich 4-0. I hoped that the 4 winless games were the bedding-in period for the new players and now we could push on for the rest of the season. That certainly seemed to be the case by December, by which time I had managed to lose a very winnable FA Cup tie at Torquay in the First Round, and found the team just outside the play-offs, although we had never been in the top 5 at this point.

Something pretty special was happening to my striker though. A regen by the name Dosswell was my star player last season, scoring 27 in 47. This season so far, he's scored 26 from 21. I have to hang on to this Dosser lad.

Leap forward to the start of April and I'm just about clinging on to the last play-off spot. 6 games to go in 30 days, and the last 2 play-off places will be contested by 4 teams.

Pos |  Team       |  GD  |  Pts  |
----------------------------------
4th |  Boston     | +32  |   59  |
5th |  Gateshead  | +15  |   58  |
6th |  Telford    | +17  |   57  |
7th |  Chester    | +9   |   57  |

A loss against the leagues whipping boys didn't help, but Gateshead only got 3 points from the next 5 games and dropped out of the race, I got 10 points from 5 games to leave it looking like with 1 game to go.

Pos |  Team       |  GD  |  Pts  |
4th |  Boston     | +32  |   69  |
5th |  Chester    | +15  |   69  |
6th |  Telford    | +17  |   67  |

Game 42 and Chester visit York Street - Boston, and despite playing half the game with 10 men, we steal a close 1-0 win with my Jamaican international winger (ex Sutton player) getting the goal.

Stalybridge were my play-off opponents, our two league encounters this season ended in 1-1 draws, and we didn't buck the trend in the home leg of the tie. Bridge only had 10 men for the last 20 minutes, and we took advantage by scoring in the 90th minute. It was Dosser's 39th goal of the season. Nervewracking to say the least. I thought another 1-1 was destined in the second leg, and it was after 45 minutes. We really broke the mould after that though, scoring another 3, final score of 4-2, and 5-3 on aggregate.

Bored yet? I'm sure this will be longer than most future updates. Anyway,

Que sera, sera

Whatever will be, will be

We're going to ... Wales?

The Racecourse Ground, Wrexham is where the play-off final will be contested, and Nuneaton the opponents. I'm not confident. However, we were 2-0 up after an hour and I decided to trust my defence, hold what I had and hope that we could relieve pressure occasionally with the pace of my wingers. They scored with 10 minutes to go but the team stuck to their guns and dug in. Another sending off didn't help, but we managed to hold on to a 2-1 win in this scrappy, tight game.

We're up! And the board are "surprised". Gee, thanks for your confidence.

Finishing Position - 4th

John is okay, better than jld undoubtedly, but not as good as Jack :)

And sorry, I should have called it "The 2nd best career thread featuring a human manager controlling Tooting & Mitcham United for a season, although actually it turned out I resigned before the season ended"

But I just didn't think that was as catchy ;)

Cheers Norman.

Half season update:

Season 2012/2013 - Boston United - BSP

Media Prediction - 24th

Board Expectation - Attempt to avoid relegation

In the window I signed a ex-Palace 20 year old DM who turned into my second Jamaican international in the team. He was one of six players brought in who was without a club, while 7 average players went out. 8 if you're including the eccentric old keeper who retired without playing a game for me, I replaced him and went for youth over experience signing a 19 year old, ex-Port Vale who was also eccentric, but good at other things.

This is the point where I confess I'm obsessed with finances. I could never manage City because I know they would be leaking money and have to be supported by that billionaire fella. It bothered me when I was at Tooting, and was one of the reasons I resigned, and it concerned me in my first underachieving season at Boston. But last sseason and this one I've been economical with wages, and having a big fanbase has helped, and I'm enjoying making enough money to set the club up for a healthy future, whether it's with me or without me. But that's not important right now.

What is important is that once again we are in and around the play-off places coming up to the busy winter schedule. Coming into December Dosser has scored 20 in 23, the guy is on fire again, shame he's 30. He appeared in the game when Boston got promoted to the BSN, wish I could have had more like him. With his help the team are 7th, and as usual the top 1 or 2 in the league are pulling away, leaving the rest of us hangers on to scrap over the remaining play-off spots. I personally don't think we can keep up this challenge, as the squad is pretty thin due to me not wanting to waste a lot of money on back-up players. As an aside it still kills me that I offered my Dutch winger a lucrative long-term contract because I thought he was the future of the club after he had one outstanding half-season in the BSN. I quickly realised he wasn't good enough for this league, and I'm stuck with him on the highest wage in the squad for another 2 years. But let's hope my pessimism doesn't get through to the players.

A heck of a December saw our over-achieving side 2nd. Still anything could happen, apart from us winning the league. Here's the table on January 5th, after 28 games:

Pos |     Team     |  GD   |  Pts  |
------------------------------------
1st | Macclesfield |  +35  |   65  |
2nd |   Boston     |  +23  |   52  |
3rd |   Woking     |  +5   |   47  |
4th |  Droylsden   |  +9   |   46  |
5th |   Dover      |  +5   |   46  |
6th |  Cheltenham  |  +7   |   45  |
7th |   Barrow     |  +5   |   45  |

We beat Cheltenham in game 28 and everyone else dropped points which put us in a really strong position. However, later in January a 4-0 battering at the hands of Dover and a lucky 2-2 draw at Barrow (courtesy of a last minute equaliser from Dosser) cast doubt on our play-off credentials. The next fixture of note came in early February against now 3rd placed Droylsden, 2 more goals for Dosser (to bring up his 30) helped us to a 2-1 win, but that advantage was lost when we surrendered to relegation bound Newport.

March 2nd, 10 games to go

Pos |     Team     |  GD   |  Pts  |
1st | Macclesfield |  +39  |   81  |
2nd | Cheltenham   |  +17  |   61  |
3rd |    Dover     |  +8   |   59  |
4th |    Boston    |  +15  |   58  |
5th |   Droylsden  |  +12  |   58  |
6th |    Woking    |  +4   |   58  |
7th |    Barrow    |  +10  |   57  |
8th |   Tamworth   |  +8   |   57  |

Uh oh. No wins since the aforementioned win at Droylsden leaves our play-off place very much in doubt. Macc won the league with 6 games to go, nothing was assured for us though. With form becoming more and more erratic, we dropped to 7th at one point but managed to climb back into 3rd with 5 games left, none of our remaining games were against our play-off rivals though. I was thinking the last match may be pivotal, and the team we were playing had already been relegated.

However, I was all but guaranteed a place with 2 games to go, and after a mainly nervy and exciting season, there was a pleasing anti-climax after we cruised to two easy wins and booked our runner-up position.

Play-off rivals this time were Dover, a 2-2 away draw gave me confidence, the overpaid Dutch ponce levelled it in the final minute and I apologised for all the abuse I had shouted at him from the toucline this season. The 2nd leg was not so enjoyable. After conceding an early goal, Dosser got us back on level terms then struck the bar, but from then on it was heavy pressure from Andy Hessenthaler's side. They dominated and deserved their 2-1 win.

That's that for an interesting season, but I will end by telling you some teams that are in wierd leagues on my game.

CC Championship -

Luton, Rotherham, Gillingham

CC L1 -

Torquay, Mansfield

CC L2 -

Doncaster

BSP -

Yeovil

Admittedly it's not that interesting, but in future seasons it might well be.

Finishing Position - 2nd

Archived