South American Career...

Colorado

Meanwhile in Uruguay, current champions Rocha look to defend their title after their shock victory over Peñarol in last years Closing Championship final. With only one round of games gone both Rocha and Peñarol got their campaigns off to winning ways. Montevideo giants Nacional could only manage a 2-2 draw in their opening game with Bella Vista.

1. Peñarol 1 3

2. Plaza Colonia 1 3

3. River Plate (URU) 1 3

4. Rocha 1 3

5. Bella Vista 1 1

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moving to North America, the M.L.S approaches it’s final eight games of the regular season. MetroStars have built up a four point lead over D.C. United who occupy the top 2 positions in the Eastern Conference, whilst other than Kansas City each team an equal of chance of making it through to the Conference semi-finals.

In the Western Conference, Chivas USA and Real Salt Lake both have a realistic chance of making their Conferences’ semi-final’s in only their first competitive season. Any team could still qualify so the next eight games will have a big impact on the final standings. Fernando Clavijo is set to be the season’s first managerial casualty as Colorado look set to make changes following a huge drop in form. The Rapids have recorded only 2 wins in their last 13 games after starting the season topping the group.

1. MetroStars 24 42

2. D.C. United 24 38

3. New England 24 37

4. Columbus 24 35

5. Chicago 24 32

6. Kansas City 24 25

1. Chivas USA 24 38

2. San Jose 24 36

3. F.C Dallas 24 31

4. Los Angeles 24 29

5. Salt Lake 24 28

6. Colorado 24 27

Finally, as the Mexican Opening Championship heads into round five, Jaguares are the only club who are unbeaten. In what is generally a very unpredictable competition, Cruz Azul, Atlante, Jaguares, Atlas, Necaxa and Tecos all hold the qualifying positions in the three sub groups.

1. Jaguares 4 10

2. Cruz Azul 4 9

3. Atlante 4 9

4. Atlas 4 9

5. Puebla 4 7

16. Santos Laguna 4 3

17. América 4 3

18. Pachuca 4 0

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The National Championship is well underway in Brazil where Brasiliense are surprise leaders closely followed by Rio outfit Botafogo who are hoping to emulate the success they had in this years Rio State Championship on national level. Current holders Santos have so far lacked consistency and find themselves 11th. Meanwhile, Vasco are managerless after Renato Gaucho left the club to take over the reins at Second Division Gremio. Brazilian Cup winners Goais are struggling to find the form which brought them silverware earlier in the season as they are in 19th place.

1. Brasiliense 16 29

2. Botafogo 16 28

3. Palmeiras 16 24

4. Corinthians 16 24

5. São Caetano 16 24

16. Juventude 15 19

17. Fortaleza 16 19

18. Coritiba 15 18

19. Goiás 15 16

20. Ponte Preta 15 14 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vasco aren't the only club are on the lookout for a new manager. Despite leading his club to a Copa Libertadores semi final, Evaristo de Macedo is likely to leave his position at ninth placed Atlético Paranaense.

After guiding Coritiba to the Brazilian Cup final, Ze Mario looks set to get the axe. However despite struggling in the National Championship, Ze Mario has guided the club to victory over Sao Paulo in the Copa Sudamericana preliminery round and has recently picked up some points in the league, most notably a 3-0 win against Fluminense.

In Sao Paulo state, Leao is also under increasing pressure with third placed Palmeiras. A group stage exit in the Copa Libertadores and a lack of silverware from the State Championships look set to cost the Palmeiras favourite his job.

Meanwhile on the pitch Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana meet in the two legged Recopa. Current holders Boca meet Sao Paulowith the first leg being played in Buenos Aires.

Victory in our previous game at home to Rangers put us in good stead for our visit to the Estadio Nacional as we played Universidad de Chile.

I again opted for Fuenzalida and Calderon up front, whilst Alexis Jose Garcia made his second appearence in an Union San Felipe shirt as he started from midfield.

Just over 10,500 fans watched on in the Sunday afternoon heat as 'La U' hammered our goal from the very beginning. After only eight minutes I was looking at the clock thinking how were they still goal less. With the formidible but aging Marcelo Salas up front they could of really been 3-0 up by 15 mins, however we dug in and took everything they hit us with. We struggled to get possession but when we did, our midfield were superb in allowing the ball to do the work and trying to create something for us. We had a few half chances but nothing clear cut until after some fantastic play, Fierro crossed for Fuenzalida to bury the ball past the stranded Universidad keeper to give us a shock 1-0 lead!!!

Universidad de Chile stepped up a gear and my aim was to just get us in at half time with the scoreline 1-0. With the quality they possessed it was near impossible and a superb Salas cross saw Cacereres head home the equaliser on 39 mins, 1-1!

We began the second half bright and confident following our performance in the previous 45 minutes. A good interception by Alexis Jose Garcia and a some great understanding between Fuenzalida and Calderon saw us free up space in their box for Calderon to smash the ball in as it clipped the post leaving Johnny Herrera the La U's keeper wrong footed, we'd taken the lead again!!! 2-1!

We'd managed a shock win against Universidad de Chile in the reverse fixture earlier in the season but to be winning on their home ground was another thing! As the confidence grew in our players so did the tiredness and despite using the ball well, Universidad were able to string passes around and look threatening. In the 71st minute, subsitute Marcelo Vega broke through our defence to level again for the home side. 2-2!

La U's managed to create further opportunites but tiredness and poor finishing saw them waste chances to go ahead, thankfully Marcelo Salas was already subsituted! We clung on and the match ended 2-2. A fantastic point!

With this being the first of two games against two of Chile's biggest clubs, it was important that we worked hard and fought to get something. The point ensured we remained second in the table, joint with Cobreloa and Huachipato. Palestino won their fifth consecutive match to put them five points ahead in first place!

Retaining our second place position is going to be a very difficult thing to do as we take on Opening Champions, Universidad Catolica at home. When we played them earlier in the season they slaughtered us 4-0 in Santiago. In front of the TV cameras, we need to be able to show we can cope with the bigger clubs.

For the first time in the Closing Stage Championship we have a full week between games. This will be a big help as we've had to chop and change things alot in our opening games as the players have lacked match fitness and have been in poor condition.

A slightly disappointing crowd of 3,678 turned out at Municipal de San Felipe for our clash with Opening Stage Champions, Universidad Catolica.

The impressive Fuenzalida and centre back Munoz missed this game as they are on loan to us from our opponents, so Reyes and Ahumada started instead. Both of our new signings Alexis Jose Garcia and Omar Riquelme started on the bench.

It was always going to be a difficult game, but when on 2 mins Catolica took the lead through a Cortes header, things were going to be even harder.

After the goal we responded well, almost immediatly as Santibanez headed a Fierro cross only to have it ruled out for being offside. We continued to battle and were really beginning to match Universidad Catolica but were undone again when on 37 mins, Molina slotted the ball away after our RB Contreras made a dreadful backpass. 2-0.

We begun the second half again having to start from scratch to try and get something from the game. The players had responded well to our half time team talk as they stood out, looking the better side, playing some fantastic football. Despite this Universidad Catolica's defence were rock solid as they dealt with every pass into their box. We were probably playing the best football we had played all season and we rewarded in the 64th minute when (LB) Suarez drilled the ball in across the box for Santibanez to remain on-side to smash the ball home, 2-1!!!

I really felt we could take something from the game, and throughout the second half I felt we the superior team. It was do be another defenisve lapse though which would cost us dearly, this time it was Suarez and Gutierrez was left with a simple finish past our helpless 'keeper Arcos. 3-1.

It was turning out to be a strange match, we had dominated the second have in terms of possession and we playing some wonderful football, but two individual mistakes had cost us. Despite the goal I had belief in team and we pushed up further, seeking two goals. We continued playing well and a great move finished with Suarez again crossing for Santibanez to finish his second of the afternoon in the 74th minute. 3-2!!!

With 15 mins left we had it all to do, we needed to continue the way we had and hoped we could again break through the solid Universidad defence. As we attacked more and more we began leaving ourselves vunerable at the back and Universidad could of scored another if they'd had more luck. Garcia had come on for Celedon in centre midfield with the aim of breaking up Universidad's attacks whilest we also brought on LB Riquelme in the 88th min for his debut for Suarez. The match finished without us unable to find a third goal and ended 3-2 to an impressive Universidad Catolica.

They defeat sends us down the league table to sixth. We still hold a healthy position in our sub-group, we are second place but are five points ahead of Concepcion who lie in third place.

We now have a two week break before our next fixture away to Melipilla. Melipilla are a week side without a win in the last seven games and are fourteen points adrift in their relegation battle. Anything less than a win would be a very poor result so we will go into the game attacking and looking to score.

This week also see's the return to full training of our reliable RB, Pablo Fuenzalida (not to be confused with our impressive on loan AMR/ST Jose Pedro Fuenzalida).

With us having a week off, our reserves who are also without a competitive game will play a friendly against our Under 20's. I will use the game as an opportunity to give players who are still short of match fitness to get some playing time such as Omar Riquelme and Pablo Fuenzalida.

News broke this week that M.L.S side Colorado Rapids have as expected, parted company with their manager Fernando Clavijo. I have applied for the job to test the water so to speak to see how highly regarded I am.

Boca also won the Recopa beating Sao Paulo 3-1 over two legs. The second leg at the Morumbi stadium finished 1-0 to Boca .

All is quiet from training this week as we enjoy our extended preperation time from our trip to Melipilla.

Omar Riquelme and Pablo Fuenzalida both came through the reserve match I'd arranged. Omar Arcos (GK), Juan Pablo Arenas and Freddy Armijo also featured.

I also requested a meeting with the chairman Rodrigo Oliver. With my contract expiring on 31/12/06 (current date is 6/09/06) I wanted to get my future sorted out.

I felt I've done well adapting to Chilian football and the club has definatly made progress both, on the pitch and financially. Ideally I want to stay at Union San Felipe next season but I'm not afraid to move on to another club in Chile or abroad if need be, particularly if I get an opportunity at one of the big Santiago clubs.

The club have been supportive throughout and I see no reason for the club not to want to secure my services. Dissappointingly, Rodrigo Oliver has decided to keep his cards close to his chest and refusing to consider offering me a new deal at this moment in time. I'm slightly concerned as I have less than four months remaining, so we'll have to wait and see.

In the news this week, Palmeiras are managerless after Leao was sacked. Atlético Paranaense have had a busy week they sacked Evaristo de Macedo before immeadiately appointing Lio Evaristo as caretake manager.

Sigi Schmid replaces Fernando Clavijo as Colorado Rapids manager.

Our extended break without a game was exactly what we needed and it paid dividends as we thrashed struggling Melipilla 6-0 at their Municipal Roberto Bravo.

With the exception of long term injury casualty Luis Nunez and Hector Santibanez who'd picked up a flu in the week, we approached the game with a fully fit squad.

After missing out the Universidad Catolica match both Jose Pedro Fuenzalida (AMR/ST) and Claudio Munoz (DC) returned to the strarting line up. Nelson San Martin who'd featured heavily also started on the bench to allow Celedon and Garcia to play centre midfield. Fierro started wide left and Juan Pablo Arenas started out wide right. Omar Riquelme and Pablo Fuenzalida both start on the bench.

From the opening minutes, we controlled the game without too much difficulty. Melipilla were unable to cause us any problems and I felt soon as we got the first goal things should be ok. Our first goal came with the typical combination of Gonazalo Fierro crossing from the left for Fuenzalida to finish on 14 mins. Hapless Melipilla 'keeper, Traverso did manage to get a touch but was unable to keep the ball out. 1-0! It took just another eight minutes for us to double our lead, this time with a move that started from the back, we played the ball through and across midfield resulting in LB Suarez crossing for Fuenzalida to head in his second, 2-0!! Things were getting bad for Melipilla but were soon to get worse. On 24 mins things were to get much worse, centre back Fica was sent off for bring Fuenzalida down in the box, Celedon stepped up and calmly slotted the penalty down past the 'keepers right hand side to make things 3-0!!! Rafael Celedon didn't needed to wait long to get his second of the afternoon, he found space in the box to put us 4-0 up after a good cross by Gonzalo Contrereas on 28 mins. If things weren't bad enough for Melipilla, Celedon was to complete his hattrick and get his 8th of the season with another penalty as Fuenzalida was again brought down in the area on 44 mins. We went in at half time flying! 5-0...

We began the second half just as the first, with goals! Our sixth goal came as Fuenzalida made it 6 goals in 6 appearences as he completed his hattrick after good work by Suarez on 49 mins. With the points comfortably ours, we took our foot off the pedal a little but slowing things down and keeping possession. (DR) Pablo Fuenzalida made his comeback from injury when he replaced Arenas on the hour, and ten minutes later Riquleme made his second appearence for us when he replaced the excellent Suarez at left back. With the coming to it's close, Melipilla again made life difficult for themselves as defender Arancibia was sent off after an off the ball incident. Reyes was brought off to give Calderon a run out in the 79th minute, but we couldn't manage to add to our impressive 6-0 scoreline.

I was delighted with the result, but need to bear in mind just how poor Melipilla were, I have no doubt that they will be relegated this season and their winless run is sure to continue as they travel to Santiago to play Colo Colo in their next game.

The win though was good for confidence, and I'm particuarly impressed with the form Jose Pedro Fuenzalida has shown us since signing. He has a goal a game record and has looked dangerous both up front and on the wing. Another player who has done very well for us is Victor Nicolas Suarez who is filling in at left back for me. Suarez was only playing orginally to cover for John Valladares who's on loan to Colo Colo. My signing Omar Riquelme was expected to play at LB, but he found himself injured early on and is still lack match fitness. Suarez has taken his opportunity and has been playing to a very high level. He is creative as a left back (6 assists) and a very good passer. Providing Suarez can maintain this sort of form, Riquelme will continue to be restricted to subsitute appearances.

Next weekend the TV camera's visit Municipal de San Felipe where we take on midtable Audax Italiano. We then have a difficult midweek trip to Union Espanola before playing Universidad de Concepcion at home the following weekend.

Unlike the Melipilla game we were unable to to find the back of the net against Audax Italiano and took a point from the game as the match ended 0-0.

We started with the same team that started against Melipilla except Pablo Fuenzalida started at right back for Gonzalo Contrereas.

We never struggled to compete with Los Italianos and dominated the game from start to finish, up front though we just weren't clinical enough.

I'm happy with the draw as we played well enough but our we'll have to step up a gear if we're going to get anything from our midweek visit to Santiago against Union Espanola.

We again failed to get on the scoresheet as we slumped to a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Union Espanola. In what was a poor match, both teams scrapped it out until half time as it remained 0-0.

In the second half, we again failed to create anything clear cut. Espanola took the lead on 49 mins as we failed to clear our lines and Vilches was left with a close range tap in. We pushed forward attempting to ourselves into the game but with Reyes and Calderon looking uneffective up front it was hard to see where the goal would come from. Ubida doubled Espanola's lead with a miss-hit shot beating Arcos in goal in the 78th minute. We again, went forward trying to get ourselves back into the game but continued to be fustrated by the Union Espanola defence.

I was dissappointing with the defeat, despite Union Espanola have a good side they haven't been playing well recently and I expected us to cause them more problems than we did. With Fuenzalida playing on the wing rather than up front the Reyes/Calderon partnership up front didn't look likely of scoring. Patrico Reyes (11 goals) in particular is on quite a poor run by his standards and has not scored for a few games now. I think he may need to be rested from the first team for a few games. Calderon started off very well when I first came to the club but then struggled and spend some time in the reserves. He then came back into the first team when we began the Closing Championship and looked lively but again his form has slumped. At the moment withouth Fuenzalida up front we look very average.

With our first team minus Patrico Reyes and Sebastian Calderon up front, we managed to win our first game in three matches as we overcome Universidad de Concepcion at Municipal de San Felipe. Omar Riquelme and Pablo Fuenzalida both started at full back, whilest our midfield consisted of Fierro, Garcia, Espinoza, Arenas. Jose Pedro Fuenzalida continued up front with Freddy Armijo being given a chance to impress.

We took the lead in the 38th minute through a Jose Pedro Fuenzalida penalty after dominating the first half for long periods. We should of double our lead minutes later when Armijo who started up front was brought down in the box, only for Arenas to miss the spot kick. We went in at half time 1-0 up!

The second half was much of the same as the first with Universidad de Concepcion being no real threat to us and we continued being unable to convert our chances. On the hour we brought off our two strikers and brought on (ST)Fernandez and versitle midfielder/full back Suarez as we revereted to playing 4-5-1.

The final half hour saw us continue to push for the second goal and it finally game on 83 mins when Garcia headed in subsitute Gonzalo Contrereas' cross. 2-0!! Universidad had chances to get themselves back in it in the last five minutes, first with their forward hitting the ball over the bar from six yards and then they had a goal ruled out for being offside. We rode our luck but overall we were the best team and deserved the 2-0 scoreline.

I was quite pleased with the result. Reyes/Calderon were both left out and I'm hoping to give 21 year old, Armijo a run in the first team to see how he does.

Our forthcoming fixtures see us play-

27/09 - A - La Serena

01/10 - H - Huachipato

11/10 - A - Cobresal (T.V)

14/10 - H - Santiago Wanderers (T.V)

18/10 - A - Colo Colo (T.V)

We continued our winning ways with a delightful 4-0 win in La Serena in front of just 518 supporters.

We lined up with the Fernandez and Fuenzalida up front as Amijo wasn't fit enough, whilest Santibanez and Celedon replaced Espinoza and Arenas. Ahumada also came into the side to replace the tired Munoz.

The first half started as a fairly even affair however after just 9 mins Fuenzalida limped off and was replaced by Calderon. Victor Fernandez's pace was becoming increasingly threatening to La Serena's defence. It was just this which broke the deadlock as Fernandez burst through to put us ahead on 25 mins giving us theh lead, 1-0!!

We were still 1-0 up at half time where I told the players to ensure they kept things going and didn't get complaicent.

The second half kicked off and within minutes Fernandez doubled our lead after being put through by Garcia on 48 mins, 2-0!!! I didn't take long before the 31 degree heat was beginning to take effect on the player's fitness levels. Ten minutes in we made our final two changes, reverting back to 4-51, Fernandez and Santibanez made way for DMC Espinoza and RB Pablo Fuenzalida. The 4-5-1 suited us with the current scoreline and we able to add to it when Rafael Celedon scored a fantastic 25 yard curler straight in past the La Serena 'keeper, we were well on our way to victory now! 3-0!!! To put the game beyond all doubt Gonzalo Contrereas continued his run of impressive performances as his cross in from the right hand side was met by Gonzalo Fierro as he netted his 2nd goal of the season.

I didn't know what quite to expect from the match beforehand as I feel we are short on quality upfront. Victor Fernandez responded to his chance well by getting two goals and his pace was always a threat. Jose Pedro Fuenzalida who came off injured has picked up a deadleg and will be out for around five days, so he is a doubt for our next match, home to Huachipato. It was Huachipato who knocked us out of the Opening Stage playoffs so we're desperate to get one over them! They having won in five games so providing we can put in the same level of performance as we did today I feel we'll have every chance of taking the three points.

Today's win puts us fifth in the league and we're also top of our sub-group, eleven points ahead of third placed Concepcion.

We badly wanted to beat Huachipato, after all it was them who beat us in the playoff's. I wanted my players to show the supporters and everyone else that we were better than them and to show that we had improved.

As for team news, Munoz replaced Ahumada at centre back, Fuenzalida hasn't recovered from his injury so Freddy Armijo and in form Victor Fernandez get the nod up front. Omar Riquelme and Pable Fuenzalida play as full backs whilest Santibanez starts on the bench, allowing Arena's to strart.

I told the players to go into the game being postive and to attack the Huachipato goal. I didn't want to allow them to creep into the game, and we needed to take the opportunites as they came.

The kick game kicked off and we started well, dictating the game and keeping the ball in the oppositions half. After some lovely build up play and quick thinking by Armijo, Fernandez found the back of the net again with a confident finish on 15 mins. We had deservedly taken the lead, 1-0!!!!

It wasn't to be all good news though as 21 year old forward, Freddy Armijo who has been brought back into the first team went off with fractured ribs in the 26th minute. Sebastian Calderon replaced him as we continued to attack Huachipato. The first half came to an end with us leading 1-0 and Huachipato hadn't troubled us.

The 4,098 supporters watched the second half kick off as we kept the same team which had started. It wasn't to be long though until the San Felipe fans were sent wild by a fantastic Juan Pablo Arena freekick as it sailed into the top hand corner from 25 yards out on 47mins. We'd doubled our lead, 2-0!!! We had managed to get the second goal at a great time. The hot San Felipe sun was taking affect, and I brought off the tired Victor Fernandez for Victor Nicolas Suarez as we reverted to our 4-5-1 formation. We again pressed forward but were unable to find a third goal and Huachipato were also starting to find their feet, and were becoming increasingly dangerous going forward. They also had several players on yellow cards as they games referee was particularly strict. In the 82nd minute I attempted to freshen up our tired, hard working midfield as DMC Espinoza came on for Celedon. Espinoza was told to just sit in front of the back four and help releif any late pressure we were facing. As the match came to a close, the referee changed the colour of card he was using and send off LW Gonzalo Fierro after he recieved his second yellow card for an off the ball incident in the 88th minute. We managed to defend well and break down Huachipato's attacks and the game finished 2-0.

I felt the result was very positive one, we had taken our chances, Fernandez seems to really of taken hold of the opportunity to impress up front, and our defence looked very solid throughout, Pablo Fuenzalida was picked as man of the match.

The win is our third consective victory and the third game in a row where we have kept a clean sheet. It also pushes us up to third in the table (see below) and we are in a comfortable position to qualify for our sub-group. However we did pay a price for our victory.

Gonzalo Fierro is banned for 1 game following his sending off.

Freddy Armijo will be out for 3 weeks-2 months as he has broken his ribs.

Man of the match Pablo Fuenzalida is out with a knee injury for up to 4 weeks.

The recent run of performances must of made some affect on the chairman Rodrigo Oliver. An hour after the game he called me into his office, I was expecting him to give me his congratulations with the performance but was slightly suprised when he said he wanted me to stay with Union San Felipe for a further three years.

I was more than happy to stay and it was only a few weeks earlier when I'd asked Senior Oliver to clarify my long term future. He made me a firm offer it comprised of-

£240 per week (full time),

until 31.12.2009,

£95,000 in transfer funds.

I told him that I was definatly interested in re-signing with Union San Felipe and that I would like to speak to my agent by agreeing anything. I left the office and went to speak to the agent. He then contacted Rodrigo Oliver himself, and within an hour or so, the deal was done.

£240 per week (full time),

until 31.12.2009,

£120,000 in transfer funds.

I was delighted to have my future resolved as when I brought up the subject of my contract to Oliver previously he seem uninterested and I felt worried I would find myself again looking for a new club next season.

10/10/2006, Chilean First Division Closing Stage.

1st - Universidad de Chile 12 28

2nd - Colo Colo 12 27

3rd - Unión San Felipe 12 23

4th - Audax Italiano 12 22

5th - Unión Española 12 21

6th - Universidad Católica 12 21

7th - Santiago Wanderers 12 21

8th - Cobreloa 12 18

9th - Palestino 12 17

10th - Universidad de Concepción 12 15

11th - Huachipato 12 15

12th - Everton (CHI) 12 14

13th - Coquimbo Unido 12 14

14th - Puerto Montt 12 14

15th - Cobresal 12 13

16th - Concepción 12 12

17th - Temuco 12 11

18th - La Serena 12 11

19th - Rangers (CHI) 12 8

20th - Melipilla 12 6

There are 19 games to be played in total, relegation is deteremind from an overall league table from both Opening and Closing Rounds.

Group D-

Top two qualify for place-off's.

1st - Unión San Felipe 12 23

2nd - Huachipato 12 15

3rd - Concepción 12 12

4th - Rangers (CHI) 12 8

5th - Melipilla 12 6

Our hard work in our previous 3 games was all undone with a poor performance in El Savador where we went down 2-1 to an average looking Cobresol on a hot Wednesday night.

Patrico Reyes featured in the first team after a short while out of things where he partnered Victor Fernandez up front. Jose Pedro Fuenzalida began on the bench. Contrereas played right back covering the injured Pablo Fuenzalida whilest Suarez replaced suspened Gonzalo Fierro on the left wing. With Cobresal midtable I felt we would get all three points from the game provding we performed in the same manner as our previous three games.

From the first minute we never really got going. I told the players to attack from the start to try and get the early goal but up front we went back to looking uneffective. The game was fairly dull which saw us offering little going forward. Cobresal took the lead on 33 minutes when Uruguayan forward Guillauma scored after he broke free from Robledo, finishing past Arcos.

At half time I told the players to start playing for the shirt a bit and to show more drive. We'd beaten far better sides that Cobresal but here we were, a goal down, and playing poorly.

Ten minutes into the second half Arenas and Fernandez were sacrificed for the team's poor display and were replaced with Sanitbanez and Fuenzalida. Within minutes, Santibanez played a through ball which split the Cobresal defence as Fuenzalida used his pace to get clear and round the 'keeper to equalise (61st min). 1-1!!

I felt we could push on and turn the game around now we'd been lifted by the goal, or so I thought... Instead it was Cobresal who're were lifted and a fantastic strike from the edge of the area by Aliste put Cobresal ahead just four minutes later after our goal. On the 70th minute I decided to again try and freshen things up in an attempt to lift the side, San Martin replaced Celedon. The change didn't have much affect as the game finished miserably with a 2-1 defeat.

Yet again, after putting in some good results, we lose in poor fashion to a team whom we should of easily beaten according to the form book. I'm beginning to wonder whether this is as far as the current group of players can go, unable to push for more than 2/3 good performances in a row before a dip just when we're pushing up the league.

With transfer funds of around £150,000 available for when the transfer window re-opens my immediate concern is up front. As things stand ideally I want to bring in two quality strikers. I think it's also vital that we can secure the services of on loan trio- CB Munoz, AML/R Fierro and AMR/ST Fuenzalida for at least another year, ideally permanently whoever we simply don't have the funds so loan deals seem to be our most viable option.

Munoz has improved throughout the season, whilest Fierro has made the left wing position his own, being consistent and assisting in many goals for us. I did come close to agreeing a fee with Colo Colo for Fierro earlier in the season, but it would probably take up most of our transfer funds which I need for a striker. Fuenzalida who's contracted to Universidad Catolica has been settled in remarkabley since joining us in the mid-season transfer window. With 8 goals in 11 appearences, the 21 year old is very much carrying us team with regards to goals.

For the visit of Santiago Wanderers we were forced to make several changes to our team. After the Cobresal defeat I mentioned our inconsitency being a problem, this was highlighted today as we went goal crazy beating Wanderer's 7-2 which broadcasted live on TV.

Our line up was-

GK Arcos (capt)

DR Zamora

DL Lira

DC Ahumada and Robledo

MR Arenas

ML Alacon

MC Celdon and San Martin

ST J.P Fuenzalida and Calderon

Subs- Mancilla, Suarez, Santibanez, Espinoza, Fernandez.

The Municipal de San Felipe crowd of 3,273 had to wait just 12 minutes for us to take lead as Fuenzalida was put through by San Martin giving us a good start. It was Fuenzalida's turn to be provider on 21 minutes as his pace split the Santiago Wanderers' defence allowing Calderon to score, putting us 2-0 in front! Our comfortable lead was to be short lived though. On 24 mins, Wanderer's striker, Lobo's used his pace to catch Ahumada with the ball before passing it across the goal mouth leaving Vivas with a tap in. 2-1. Our two goal advantage was to be restored just before have time, Fuenzalida did well did to head the ball across goal into the path of Calderon as Wanderers' 'keeper Prieto approached him. At half time we went in leading 3-1!!

Our comfortable lead was again put into jepordy on 54 mins when Nunez headed in a cross at the near post to reduce our lead to 3-2. It was another Celedon 'special' which made things 4-2 as his 25+ yard belter swerved into the bottom corner in the 60th minute!! We then made a change, Arena's being replaced by Santibanez on 65 mins. He then took no time at all to get himself on the scoresheet. Fumbling Wanderer's keeper Prieto punched the ball out from a corner and it dropped to Santibanez who hit from outside the box through the crowd of players and into the net, (67 mins) 5-2!!!! The crowd were ecstatic with the performance and with the game in the bag I made two further changes on 69 mins with Fuenzalida and Celdon being replaced by Fernandez and Espinoza. Our sixth goal came in the 78th minute as Calderon sealed his hat-trick when he found space in the box and scored with clinical finish. Man of the match, San Nelson sealed things up with the 7th goal, good work by Lira saw him find San Nelson in the box who was left with a simple finish past Prieto. 7-2!!!!!!

I was delighted with our peformance, no doubting that the Santiago Wanderers' goalkeeper and defence were awful but our build up place and finishing were top quality. If only we could perform like this on a regular basis!

After the game Nelson San Martin was interviewed and indicated that he felt he needed to join a bigger club as he wouldn't win trophies with us. I was interviewed literally minutes after he's spoken and told him and the press that I belived we can progress and that he'd be able to win trophies with the club. Later that night he'd stay with the club and do his best to help win trophies. The last thing I want is to lose quality players.

If we'd won the Cobresol game last week we'd of been 2nd in the table now. Instead we find ourselves 4th and our next game is away to Colo Colo. It's hard to say how we'll do simply as our form has been erratic in the last two matches. Not only that but Munoz and Fierro are both unavailable as their both contracted to Colo Colo.

With recent results in mind, who know's how we'll do against Colo Colo.

After our visit to the Estadio Monumental we have another away trip to play Coquimbo Unido, followed by what has become a bit of derby game against Vina del Mar based Everton, which is on live TV. We then finish the Closing Stage regular league with consecutive home games against Puerto Montt and Palestino.

We're now very close to qualifying for the playoff stage now with six games left. A couple more wins should confirm this. But if we're to progress through the playoffs which we're well capable of doing, we must find consitency.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived