Holland (Jupiler League)

Italy (Serie C2)

Norway (First Division)

Spain (Second Division B)

Sweden (First Division Elite)

U.S.A. (MLS)

Database: Medium

Mon, July 6th, 2009

I embark on my career into world of football management. I send out applications to every rinkidink outfit in the world in hopes that one will take a chance on a completely unknown 26-year old American whose playing careers highlight was his high school's junior varsity squad and whose coaching experience was limited to 12 year old girls AYSO level.

Tue, July 7th, 2009

I get the call. It's from Jucemar Campos, chairman of SC Genus de Porto Velho. He wants me to fill their vacancy as manager. He offers me an 18-month contract at $850/week. Without hestitation, I accept. My new club is in the Brazilian Third Division First Stage Group E. The rules of this competition state the bottom two teams are relegated out of the Third Division and the top two teams qualify for the second round. I am sitting in 6th place out of 8 teams with just 3 games to play. I have almost no chance of moving on out of this group stage but it's clear my job is to avoid relegation as we are just 2 points north of safety.

The Table

Now the really bad news. I have no transfer budget available. My squad is already $900 over allocated weekly payroll and the club is the middle of a takeover. The team scout has a couple reports waiting for me with his recommendations. They'll do no good for now, but I'll tuck them away for another day. I visit my facilities. A 5000 capacity stadium, Aluizio Ferreira. Built 52 years ago, it has no seating or roofing but appears in rather fair condition for its age. The training grounds are also nothing special but appear adequate enough.

I meet my squad and get reports on all my players from my assistant coach Eduardo Oliviera Alves. Our best player is 26-year old central midfielder Rafael. Not a weakness in his game, he's one of the better players in the Third Division. Also an important player is 26-year old central defender Luizao. A physically gifted specimen with outstanding aerial ability. He will anchor our defense. Up front our best striker is Careca. Not the most pacey striker in the league but his determination, workrate, and teamwork abilities are much to be admired.

Wed, July 8th, 2009

I meet the media. They grill me a little for not knowing a single word of the Portuguese language but overall I get fair treatment. I reach out and try to add some staff to my team and on recommendations of my assistant coach Eduardo Oliviera Alves, I fire off an offer to an unemployed relatively unknown coach in the area.

Thu, July 9th, 2009

The targeted coach informs me that my offer for his services is way too low. Unfortunantly it's the maximum I was permitted to offer and I'll now be dealing with a skeleton staff to help me in my first managing gig. Several of the chairmen of other clubs I applied for were gratious enough to call me and inform me that my applications were unsuccessful. The Heerenveen chairman called me and offered me a job to coach his Dutch Eredivise squad at a sweet seven-figure contract. When I eagerly accepted, he stated laughing at me and hung up. What a jerkoff. Looks like I'm living in Porto Velho for a while.

Fri, July 10th, 2009

I attend our reserve match. Our reserves are thin and we have pull alot of players out of our u19 youth setup to get a full squad on the pitch. They lose 0-2, but it was a bit closer than the scoreline suggested. I learn that they are 18th out of 20th in the Brazilian Reserves Group 2 competition. I cross my fingers hoping my first team stays healthy.

Sat, July 11th, 2009

It's the eve of our 12th match (of 14) in the stage. We are set to go away to America (RJ) and are a disturbing 10-1 underdog to pull out the three points. America has run roughshod over the entire group, scoring 11 wins out of 11 matches. 29 goals for, 1 against. Our situation looks dire and I admit that much to the media at my first press conference. My scout files a report on America. It don't look good for us.

Sun, July 12th, 2009

Our first match is going to be on local TV. I begin to set up my squad in my first professional match. After spending a few days training with my squad it's clear I do not have the players to perform in my preferred 4-3-3 wing-back formation I choose a narrow 4-1-3-2, emphasizing defense. As he knows the players much better than I do, I take input from my assistant on player selection and make a few tweaks to his suggestions. Our game begins and I am getting updates on an important stage match being played at the same time between Tigres do Brasil and Nacional (AM).

The match begins slowly, but we get off to an okay start and actually get the first shot on goal in the 22nd minute. The rest of the half is very uneventful as our defensive plan to clog the middle of the field is being executed flawlessly. America dominated possession and had 2 shots but they never threatened the keeper. The good feeling ends in the 50th minute as America earns a corner and head in the first goal of the match. At the 80th minute I cut the dogs loose and asked the players to open up their attack. We earned a free kick in dangerous position a few minutes later but it was sent wide. We lose 1-0. Although America dominated the possession, I am pleased and proud of our effort in protecting our goal differential edge in the battle against relegation.

America (RJ) 1 - Genus 0

Tigres do Brasil and Nacional (AM) ends their match in a 0-0 draw. Not a terrible result for us but we are pulled a point closer to relegation (and certain termination).

Mon, July 13th, 2009

I give the players a deserved day off after playing hard for me in my first match. They will need the rest as we come back home to Aluizio Ferreira to face promotion hopeful Auto Esporte (PB).

Updated League Table

Tue, July 14th, 2009

My scout informs me that Auto Esporte are missing alot of first team players for our clash. This gives our team hope. We are set as 6-4 favorites by the bookmakers.

Wed, July 15th, 2009

I make a tactical switch a more wide open 4-4-2 formation and a couple player selection changes and the match is underway. Auto Esporte are on the attack immediately and pepper our goalkeeper with 2 long shot chances which he saved nicely. My squad gets their bearings together and launch into the attack themselves. We control and dominate the rest of half, and watch as one of our shots bang against the post. But we fail to find the goal. We're in the locker room, nil-nil, and I'm pleased with our performance. The 2nd half starts the same way with the first half as ended as we assault the Auto Esporte goal. The inflexibility of the players on my bench really hamstring my ability to substitute properly and make the necessary changes. We spend the final 15 minutes of the 2nd half with players out of position. We are unable to find that goal and the match ends a disappointing scoreless draw. We deserved better. I sympathize with the squad.

Genus 0 - Auto Esporte (PB)

Nacional (AM) earn a draw at home vs Jaguare and my 1 point edge from safety remains unchanged. Bad news however as Nacional's final match will be away to Corinthians (AL) on Saturday, who have managed just 2 draws in 13 matches. Our final match will be on Sunday away to Tigers. Atleast we'll know by match day what we will need to do.

Updated Table

Sat, July 18th, 2009

Terrible News. Nacional (AM) destroy Corinithians (AL) 3-1 to volt past us in the league table. We are 2 points back heading away to Tigres do Brasil tomorrow. We must win or this may be perhaps the shortest job spell of my life. Who on earth would ever give me another chance if I got this club relegated out of the lowly Brazilian Third Division?

My scouts inform me Tigres is also missing a bunch of first teamers. We must finish our chances if we are to survive.

Sun, July 19th, 2009

I keep the same 4-4-2 formation we had success with, but I rotate a few of the rested regulars back into the starting lineup. Everybody is in good spirits. Here's hoping for the best.

We control most of the first half in the near-empty Tigres home and get several shots at goal but in the 33rd minute disaster strikes. A bad giveaway in our midfield leads to a good Tigres opportunity and they don't waste it. They go up 1-0 and our backs are against the wall. The rest of the half plays out uneventful. I implore my squad to dig deep and give everything they have in the 2nd half. WE STRIKE BACK! 63rd minute our midfielder Marco Antonio plays a good ball into the box that finds the left foot of striker Careca and he one-times it into the back of the net to knot the match. Our team is gathering confidence. I make a couple switches. They don't pay off. Tigres strikes again. 77th minute. Our fate is sealed. We go overload in a desperate attempt for a great escape, a goal disallowed for offsides in the 89th minute shatters any remaining hope we had left. We're going down.

Tigres do Brasil 2 - Genus 1

We get back to Porto Velho. I have not been canned yet! The chairman informs me he would like to keep me on for the Rondonia State Championships beginning in January. Hopefully he doesn't change his mind by then.

Mon, July 20th, 2009

Several of my squad members request transfers out of town. Central defender Luizao, Right midfielder Carlinhos, and my start central midfielder Rafael. Mounting a challenge in the State Championships will be tough enough, now the difficulty just escalated.

Wed, July 22nd, 2009

My assistant advises me on a nationally known scout, Sergio Winck, who was once a well known player in the Brazilian Lower Leagues. Winck may be available on the cheap so I contact him and make an offer of $400/week. He mulls it over and says he'll get back to me.

Thu, July 23rd, 2009

Sergio Winck accepts my offer. I'm excited to have a scout of his caliber in our ranks and perhaps he can find us some talent on the cheap. I assign him to scour the countryside for anyone who we may be able to bring in under our umbrella on the cheap.

Sun, July 26th, 2009

Our reserves take the pitch and score a 2-1 home win. 15-year old central defender Italo catches my eye with his performance. My assistant and I both agree that he has the potential to be something special.

Wed, July 29th, 2009

The squad throws me a party for my 27th birthday. The cake is delicious.

Thu, July 30th, 2009

The Porto Velho Soccer Post is reporting that the takeover talks have begun. Director Leandro Brandao is looking to big $110k to gain control of the club. My fate could be squarely in his hands soon.

Sat, Aug 1st, 2009

The August transfer window opens up. I contact some other clubs for potential friendly matches over the coming weeks to keep my squad sharp. Non-leaguers Corintians (RN) and Atletico Tubarao agree to matches over the next two Tuesdays. I might as well get this squad used to playing this quality of competition. The reserve squad gets squashed 4-1.

Tue, Aug 4th, 2009

We take the field in our friendly against Corintians. An early red card to our central defender Luizao pretty much ruins the match and my opportunity to look at my players further. We end up losing 1-0 although we played fairly well considering we were down to 10-men. I collect the check for showing up and we head home.

Wed, August 5th, 2009

At our weekly staff meeting my assistant recommends a well known goalkeeper coach who we may be able to afford. As much as I would love the extra hands working with my squad, I must put the financial state of the club first and I reluctantly decide that it wouldn't be prudent to add any more staff at this time.

Sat, August 8th, 2009

The reserve team loses another match. I am becoming disenchanted. We have no competitive matches until January which seems like an eternity. I haven't heard a peep from my scouts which makes me wonder if they are actually working like they are being paid to. My players are beginning to get bored as well. I mix up their training regimens to try to make things interesting for everybody.

Tue, August 11th, 2009

Our second friendly match is schedule for today. We face non-leaguers Atletico Tubarao at Aluizio Ferreira. I'm disappointed in the turnout from our supporters. Only 524 show up on a bright and beautiful 26 degrees celcius afternoon. We head into the locker room at halftime with a 1-0 lead but we fall apart in the 2nd half and surrender 2 goals to lose against a team we should of beaten with our eyes closed. My 5th match with this squad, I have still yet to experience the sweet joy of victory. I feel these matches are doing good our squad good and decide to schedule several more over the next few weeks.

Sat, August 15th, 2009

The reserves lose again but that is not the big news of the day. The Porto Velho Soccer Post is reporting that the potential takeover is on the rocks. Chairman Jucemar Campos and director Leandro Brandao are having difficulties agreeing to a price. My future is uncertain as ever.

Tue, August 18th, 2009

We travel to Sao Goncalo FC. I decide to go back to the 4-1-3-2 defensive approach that we used against America (RJ) in my first third division match. I realize now that we do not have the creative weapons to play a wide-open attack. Defense must be our first responsibility. Our opponents control possesion but our defense plays stout and we make the most of our few opportunities. A Sao Goncalo defender puts one in his own net for us in the 18th minute and 9 minutes later our forward Andre finishes off a beautiful counter move to put us up 2. The scoreline holds and even though its a meaningless exhibition match, I finally get to celebrate my first victory as a professional manager. The squad is beginning to respond to my teachings.

Great news. We arrive back home and my new scout Sergio Winck is waiting for me with a fisful of reports. Ahh, he wasn't out partying along the Brazillian countryside on the club dime afterall. We spend the rest of the night discussing the various players he has seen in the past couple weeks, most of which are outside of our available budget.

Sat, August 22, 2009

My key central defender Luizao informs me that he wants to withdraw his transfer request. Very welcomed news. He would not of been easy to replace.

Sun, August 23, 2009

The Porto Velho Soccer Post is reporting that the takeover is back on and there could be an announcement in the next few days. I am on edge. I have no idea what Leandro Brandao's opinion of me is. I have never had anything more than a hello and handshake with him when I first came to the club back in early July. I hear rumors that he would want to bring his own people into the coaching staff, but I try to pay no attention to this gossip, as difficult as it may be.

Tue, August 25th, 2009

Time for our weekly friendly. We travel away to Teresopolis FC. The players are getting tired of playing meaningless matches but the appearance fees for these away matches are vital to keeping the club running financially. Even though my future is uncertain, I must assume otherwise. I cannot run the balance sheet into the ground. The team plays well but the match ends in a 1-1 draw.

Wed, August 26th, 2009

I've been so busy in my new job that I haven't had much time to catch up on the footballing news from around the world. I get on the internet to see what's been happening the past couple months. The big signing of the summer was Chelsea snapping up Uruguayan international Luis Suarez from Ajax for $36 million. But it was Manchester City stealing all the headlines with 4 gigantic deals. First they picked up of young Fiorentina and Montenegro starlet Stevan Jovetic ($29 million) and Argentina midfielder Pablo Aimar ($26.5 million). A few weeks later they closed deals for Peruvian wingback Juan Manual Vargas ($29.5 million from Fiorentina) and Swiss winger Tranquillo Barnetta ($19.25 million). As the most active Premiership club, Khaldoon Al Mubarak and Mark Hughes have clearly thrown down the gauntlet.

Thu, August 27th, 2009

The takeover is complete. Leandro Brandao thanks me for my patience through this stressful time. He tells my position is stable for the time being but that there will be no investment to improve the squad. I am pleased to be keeping my job. For now.

Mon, August 31st, 2009

The international transfer deadline for Brazilian comes and goes. I am barely in position to make a domestic move, let alone sending players across the border. I have 4 weeks to move any unwanted players from my squad.

Tue, Sept 1st, 2009

At the monthly board meeting I learn that a $45k loan was taken out to settle the club debts. They also inform me that they are satisfied with the job I have performed so far. The dreaded vote of confidence? I round up the squad and we all get on the team bus heading for our weekly friendly to non-leaguers Quixada FC of the Ceara State. My squad takes control of the match from the get-go and dominates throughout the 90 minutes on their way to a 3-0 victory. We are finally beating teams we should be beating. I can see many of the players are glowing with confidence and the bus ride back to Porto Velho is filled with high spirits.

Sat, Sept 5th, 2009

I find a local bar carrying the USA-El Salvador World Cup Match. I sit in stunned disbelief as La Azul go into San Jose, California and stun the natives 2-1. Landon Donovan (who has free transfer to Chelsea pending for the January window) suffers a terrible ankle injury that could put him out of action for 2 months. The Yanks, who had a seemingly inevitable World Cup qualification prior to this match, will now need to work hard the rest of the way to get to South Africa.

Sun, Sept 13th, 2009

With no friendly match this week, I decide to make the first teamers available for the Brazillian Reserves Group 2 match. Atleast it'll give them a table to look at. They respond and play well in a 2-0 away win to Juventus (AC). The Reserves are now 17th out of 20 in the table.

Wed, Sept 16th, 2009

At the weekly staff meeting Sergio Winck recommends several coaches that could help in our youth development. I kindly inform him that we are in no position to make such acquistions. He pouts a little and I remind him he's fortunate he has a job here himself. Coach Eduardo Monteiro has the names of several young free agent talents in the area that he thinks we should take a peak at. Another staff member recommends that we utilize Luizao to mentor our young 15-year old central defender Italo. Both players seem very receptive.

Thu, Sept 17, 2009

I get the reports from Sergio Winck on several of the players Eduardo Monteiro brought to my attention at the meeting. Three out of contract players jump right off the pages. 18-year old goalkeeper Paulo Henrique. Winck belives Henrique to be twice as good as our starting goalkeeper Careca. THe other two players are strikers. 19-year old Nedo and 20-year old Marcelo Fattori, both of whom also may have the talent to help the club. All three players could potentially fit into our extremely tight budget with cheap 'hot prospect' contracts. I have to see them with my own eyes. I invite both to 4-week trials at the club.

Sun, Sept 20, 2009

Good news. All three players accept the trial offer and will join the club.

Fri, Sept 25, 2009

The domestic transfer window comes and goes. I'm disappointed I was unable to move Carlinhos, a right midfielder on $800/wk that really didn't fit into the system.

Sorry guys, I wish I had more to write about. But with a 6 month offseason there's alot of dead air to fill.

Sat, Sept 26, 2009

The reserves take the field and draw 0-0. The trialists brought about mix results. Goalkeeper Paulo Enrique wasn't tested at all as he seen only 1 shot and that whistled wide. The strikers paired up together and Marcelo Fattori didn't have the best of matches but Nedo looked quite dangerous at times. I don't want to rush to judgement.

Thu, Oct 1st, 2009

The board notifies me that the club lost $36,961 last month. I am beginning to feel like I am in an impossible situation.

Sun, Oct 4th, 2009

We're still playing the first team in the reserve matches and they grab a 1-0 home win vs ADESG Reserves. Nedo has another good match. Marcelo Fattori plays a little better this time. Paulo Henrique once again isn't tested in goal.

Sat, Oct 11th, 2009

Reserves draw 0-0. Same story as before. Nedo plays well, Paulo Henrique isn't tested. I get on the phone and place a few calls. I manage to get match together with Third Division side Americano FC (RJ) for this upcoming Tuesday. They finished a solid 4th in Group J of the competition. These trialists must be tested against decent competition before I can make an informed decision on them.

Tue, Oct 14th, 2009

Americano FC (RJ) show their class from the opening whistle and thoroughly dismantle my helpess squad. We take on a red card late in the first half and it's all Americano the rest of the way. We lost 3-0 and none of the trialists looked up to par. I am completely torn on what to do with these young men.

Fri, Oct 16th, 2009

The last reserve match is played. A 1-1 draw. The player trials end on Sunday. I consult my scouts and coaches for their opinions.

Mon, Oct 19th, 2009

GK Paulo Henrique is Sergio Winck's guy. He insists that the 18-year old keeper is the best of the trialist we brought in and will make the most impact for us in the tables. I hired Sergio because of his experience and I would be foolish to go against his opinion. I agree with his assessment that Paulo is significantly more talented than our current top goalkeeper Careca. I begin contract negotiations with Paulo. As much as some of the other staff members like Nedo, it would be irresponsible to bring him in with our current financial climate. I let him know that I am keeping close tabs on his future. Marcelo Fattori looked good in the training grounds he did not show up for the matches when he had to impress. He too will be getting a pass.

Wed, Oct 21st, 2009

Paulo Henrique, a former member of the First Division Internacional's outstanding youth academy, agrees to 3-year 'youngster' deal with SC Genus de Porto Velho worth $80/week. I am very pleased I was able to improve our first team squad with just a few hundred dollars per month. I hold a press conference introducing our new #1 to the media. My assistant coach Eduardo Oliveira Alves believes we made an excellent decision and he believes that when other clubs discover Paulo's talent that he could be worth as much as $65,000 to them.

Sun, Nov 1st, 2009

The board notifies me that the club lost another $31k last month.

Sun, Nov 8th, 2009

The squad goes on official vacation. They will return Monday, December 14th for the preseason in prepartions for the Rondonia State Championship. I begin preparing a strenuous preseason training regimen to make sure they are in shape for the 14-match competition.

Mon, Dec 14th, 2009

Preseason is finally here. The players return from their breaks in good spirits and ready to go. Our first match is only a month away. I arrange 4 friendlies. The highlights being a home match against Second Division side EC Bahia. A nationally known club with many players earning more than my entire club combined. They are a former National First Division Champion (1988) and more recently they've won the Bahia State Championship 5 of the past 6 seasons. A club of this stature will hopefully draw many people to Aluizio Ferreira and give Genus a much needed revenue boost. Also on the agenda is an away trip to Paraguayan Second Division club C Silvio Pettirossi.

I spent the vacation time brushing up on my Portuguese and have become quite proficient in it. Communication with my players is no longer a problem.

Tue, Dec 15th, 2009

Training has been intense. These players will be fully fit and sharp when the first match arrives. A few complain about the double training sessions but most realize the importance, grit their teeth, and get to work.

Fri, Dec 18th, 2009

The club secretary passes on a fax received from the Brazil PA inviting me to attend Brazililan Trial Day on the 21st. My assistant gives me a list of players that we should take a look at during this event. I give the list right back to him and order him to attend and to file reports on these players.

Mon, Dec 21st, 2009

As I'm preparing for our evening home match with Bahia, my assistant arrives from Trial Day with reports on several players, all of which are outside of our price range.

We are 10-1 underdogs at home to Bahia. I tell the guys to relax and just enjoy the game. I'm not looking for anyone to impress me. At this point of the preseason, it's all about fitness. I forego the wide midfielders and stick with the defense-first 4-1-3-2 (1 DMC, 3 MCs, 2 ST) formation that my players were getting used to. This will be our preferred tactic when the state championship begins. We lose 2-0 and everyone got minutes in the match. Bahia outshot us 18-1. My first and only signing Paulo Enrique was solid between the posts and kept it from being worse.

Tue, Dec 29th, 2009

2nd friendly of the preseason, the squad gets a well earned 2-1 victory away to Murici FC of the Alagoas State. An injury time winner from our pacy striker Ciro was the difference in the scoreline.

After the match my "other" scout Andre Paiva Santos recommends a young striker by the name of Richard and he also suggests taking another look a Nedo, a young striker who we had in for a trial a few months ago. I agree to give both of these guys a trial as we certaintly could use more firepower up top.

January 1st, 2010

Richard accepts our offer of a trial just in time for the Paraguay trip. The bags are packed and everybody is ready to go.

Wait.

There's a hold up.

Chairman Leandro Brandao wishes to speak with me.

I enter his office and he asks me to take a seat. He wastes no time in telling me that he's relieving me of my duties. He tells me he prefers a manager with more experience. He was also absolutely furious that I would book a 23-ticket flight to Paraguay with the club in a poor financial situation. I explained my side of the story but it would do no good. My career at SC Genus de Porto Velha is finished after only 6 months. He hands over a check worth $44,200, the remainder of my guaranteed contract, and wishes me good luck.

And just like that. It's over. I begin wondering about the opportunity I was given and wonder if I'll ever be lucky enough to get another.

Sat, Jan 2nd, 2010

I spend my first day unemployed reflecting on what could of been and deciding what I want to do. Do I return home to America and go back to the warehouse as a forklift operator? Nobody there will have a clue what I have been doing the past 6 months, nor would they probably believe me. Or do I stay here in Brazil and continue pursuing my dream. I am full of nervous energy. The last 5 months I've been doing everything in my power to prepare Genus for the State Championship. The players were responding to my instructions and the squad confidence was as high as it has been since I took over. I sleep on my decision on whether or not I want to continue.

Sun, Jan 3rd, 2010

I wake up fresh and renewed. My eagerness to manage one full season of professional football is too strong. I must do this. I send out my updated resume to various Third Division clubs with vacancies, hoping I just get one more opportunity.

Mon, Jan 4th, 2010

I am complete shock right now. 9 of the several dozen clubs I sent my resume to have responded with managerial job offers! All of the clubs are recent promotees from the Brazilian Fourth Division and are interested in a manager with Third Division experience. I carefully mull over each offer. I do not want to jump into bed without carefully assessing the situation. With Genus, I was happy I got an offer at all and eagerly accepted. I have options now and I must choose the club that is the best fit.

Feirense FC (BA) - 3 years, $925/week. $0 Transfer Budget, $14.5k p/w

Guarany SC - 3 years, $975/week. $9k Transfer Budget, $16.25k p/w

AS Sociedade Unida - 2 years, $1100/week. $9.75k Transfer Budget, $16k p/w

Itapora FC - 3 years, $850/week. $0 Transfer Budget, $13.5k p/w

EC Democrata GV - 3 years, $900/week. $12.5k Transfer Budget, $14.25k p/w

Oeiras AC - 2 years, $1000/week. $10k Transfer Budget, $15.5k p/w

SE Ceilandense - 3 years, $900/week. $0 Transfer Budget, $14.25k p/w

Atletico Acreano - 3 years, $925/week. $0 Transfer Budget, $13.5k p/w

Trindade AC - 3 years, $875/week. $0 Transfer Budget, $14.25k p/w

I have learned about the difficulties of surviving in the Third Division. You need money. I dismiss the applicants that are supplying me with less than $15k p/w and that leaves me with Guarany SC, AS Sociedade Unida, and Oeiras AC. The wages being offered to me are irrelevant at the moment. At this stage of my young managing career I actually prefer the extra year over the increased salary. I want to dig deeper into these 3 clubs to see what will be a better fit. I ask the chairmen to give me more time to think about their offers. All three agree to my request. I call the chairmen of the other 6 clubs and thank them for their interest in me but I'm looking at other opportunities at the time.

Tue, Jan 5th, 2010

My decision to be prudent may have paid off. 7 more Third Division clubs have responded to my application and offered me managerial positions.

Sinop FC (MT) - 3 years, $800/week. $0 Transfer Budget, $14.25k p/w

Rio Bananal FC - 3 years, $875/week. $10.25k Transfer Budget, $14k p/w

Interporto FC - 3 years, $850/week. $0 Transfer Budget, $13.25k p/w

America (AM) - 3 years, $850/week. $11k Transfer Budget, $14k p/w

Independente EC (AP) - 3 years, $800/week. $10.75k Transfer Budget, $13.5k p/w

Sport Belem C - 3 years, $950/week. $13k Transfer Budget, $14.5k p/w

Sete de Garanhuns EC - 3 years, $800/week. $0k Transfer Budget, $12.75k p/w

None of these offers float my boat and I kindly turn them down.

Wed, Jan 6th, 2010

I visited the grounds of Oeiras AC today. Founded in 1997, they make their first trek into the Third Division. The closest thing they've had to success in the past 13 years was a 2001 runner-up finish in the Piaui State Championship. Their stadium Gerson Campos is a 4000 capacy all-standing and from the looks of it wasn't in the greatest shape. I was also not terribly impressed with the fairly basic training facilities that consisted of nothing more than a grassless pitch. I take a quick peak at the limited squad data I am presented with. There are no versatile players at the club. I don't see anyone who could play the defensive midfield role in my 4-1-3-2 and the fullback depth is incredibly thin. I know pretty quickly that this would be a herculean challenge. A second failure could wreck my career. I would be a fool to take this position. I head back home and rest up for the next visit.

Fri, Jan 8th, 2010

AS Sociedade Unida (ASSU) are the next to be visited. Founded in 2002, they are coming off a 2009 triumph in the Brazilian Potiguar State Championship. A 12000 seat stadium, Edgar Borges Montenegro, 10% of the gate receipts pay for the rent. The stadium is not in the greatest shape and the pitch could use an overhaul as well. The training grounds resemble the adqeuate facilities I had a Genus. Much nicer than the facilities I visited yesterday. The squad resembles the same I saw yesterday. Not quite what would fit into my system. ASSU move to the front of the line, but I'm praying that Guarany FC has better circumstance because I am not completely thrilled with either option today. Maybe I rejected those other offers in haste?

Sun, Jan 10th, 2010

I arrive at Guarany de Sobral SC bright and early. I was surprised to learn that the club kicked off their Ceara State Championship today under the guidence of an interim player/coach. Founded in 1931, this isn't their first rodeo as they finished third in the Third Division in 2001. Although they pay 10% of their gate receipts towards rent, they play in a beautiful 25000 all-seater that is still held together in decent shape. The training facilities, although average by world standard, are perhaps the best I've seen in the lower leagues of Brazilian football. The Youth Academy is also one of the nicer at this level. So far I am impressed and already have that feeling that this is the place I want to be. They face off against Itapipoca. Guarany completely dominate the opposition from the start. The players had a beautiful blend of speed, strength, and skill and I was blow away by what I was watching. This team would wipe the floor with my Genus squad. The team controlled the match and were awarded with a deserved 2-0. I eyed up Ricardo Baiano. He was the perfect player for the defensive midfielder role in my 4-1-3-2. The rest of the squad wouldn't be a precise perfect fit but I could make it work. After the match I visit with chairman Guilherme Gama Ferreira and with two words, "I Accept" and a shake of the hand. I am the new manager of Guarany de Sobral SC and I already have 3 points in the bag without managing a single match.

Archived