Holland (Jupiler League)

Italy (Serie C2)

Norway (First Division)

Spain (Second Division B)

Sweden (First Division Elite)

U.S.A. (MLS)

Database: Medium

Mon, July 6th, 2009

I embark on my career into world of football management. I send out applications to every rinkidink outfit in the world in hopes that one will take a chance on a completely unknown 26-year old American whose playing careers highlight was his high school's junior varsity squad and whose coaching experience was limited to 12 year old girls AYSO level.

Tue, July 7th, 2009

I get the call. It's from Jucemar Campos, chairman of SC Genus de Porto Velho. He wants me to fill their vacancy as manager. He offers me an 18-month contract at $850/week. Without hestitation, I accept. My new club is in the Brazilian Third Division First Stage Group E. The rules of this competition state the bottom two teams are relegated out of the Third Division and the top two teams qualify for the second round. I am sitting in 6th place out of 8 teams with just 3 games to play. I have almost no chance of moving on out of this group stage but it's clear my job is to avoid relegation as we are just 2 points north of safety.

genus1.png

Now the really bad news. I have no transfer budget available. My squad is already $900 over allocated weekly payroll and the club is the middle of a takeover. The team scout has a couple reports waiting for me with his recommendations. They'll do no good for now, but I'll tuck them away for another day. I visit my facilities. A 5000 capacity stadium, Aluizio Ferreira. Built 52 years ago, it has no seating or roofing but appears in rather fair condition for its age. The training grounds are also nothing special but appear adequate enough.

Wed, July 8th, 2009

I meet the media. They grill me a little for not knowing a single word of the Portuguese language but overall I get fair treatment. I reach out and try to add some staff to my team and on recommendations of my assistant coach Eduardo Oliviera Alves, I fire off an offer to an unemployed relatively unknown coach in the area.

Thu, July 9th, 2009

The targeted coach informs me that my offer for his services is way too low. Unfortunantly it's the maximum I was permitted to offer and I'll now be dealing with a skeleton staff to help me in my first managing gig. Several of the chairmen of other clubs I applied for were gratious enough to call me and inform me that my applications were unsuccessful. The Heerenveen chairman called me and offered me a job to coach his Dutch Eredivise squad at a sweet seven-figure contract. When I eagerly accepted, he stated laughing at me and hung up. What a jerkoff. Looks like I'm living in Porto Velho for a while.

Fri, July 10th, 2009

I attend our reserve match. Our reserves are thin and we have pull alot of players out of our u19 youth setup to get a full squad on the pitch. They lose 0-2, but it was a bit closer than the scoreline suggested. I learn that they are 18th out of 20th in the Brazilian Reserves Group 2 competition. I cross my fingers hoping my first team stays healthy.

Sat, July 11th, 2009

It's the eve of our 12th match (of 14) in the stage. We are set to go away to America (RJ) and are a disturbing 10-1 underdog to pull out the three points. America has run roughshod over the entire group, scoring 11 wins out of 11 matches. 29 goals for, 1 against. Our situation looks dire and I admit that much to the media at my first press conference. My scout files a report on America. It don't look good for us.

Sun, July 12th, 2009

Our first match is going to be on local TV. I begin to set up my squad in my first professional match. After spending a few days training with my squad it's clear I do not have the players to perform in my preferred 4-3-3 wing-back formation I choose a narrow 4-1-3-2, emphasizing defense. As he knows the players much better than I do, I take input from my assistant on player selection and make a few tweaks to his suggestions. Our game begins and I am getting updates on an important stage match being played at the same time between Tigres do Brasil and Nacional (AM).

The match begins slowly, but we get off to an okay start and actually get the first shot on goal in the 22nd minute. The rest of the half is very uneventful as our defensive plan to clog the middle of the field is being executed flawlessly. America dominated possession and had 2 shots but they never threatened the keeper. The good feeling ends in the 50th minute as America earns a corner and head in the first goal of the match. At the 80th minute I cut the dogs loose and asked the players to open up their attack. We earned a free kick in dangerous position a few minutes later but it was sent wide. We lose 1-0. Although America dominated the possession, I am pleased and proud of our effort in protecting our goal differential edge in the battle against relegation.

genus2.png

Tigres do Brasil and Nacional (AM) ends their match in a 0-0 draw. Not a terrible result for us but we are pulled a point closer to relegation (and certain termination).

Mon, July 13th, 2009

I give the players a deserved day off after playing hard for me in my first match. They will need the rest as we come back home to Aluizio Ferreira to face promotion hopeful Auto Esporte (PB).

genus3.png

Josh, if you're going to update like this throughout then (without the pictures) the best place for this is probably over in FM Stories :thup: I can move it across if you want.

By the way, in FMS we allow links to pictures but not posted as images in the thread as you've done here :)

And good luck in Brazil, I've never been brave enough to try it.

Terk, I'll probably get tired of updating in story format eventually and the day-to-day updates0 will become much more short and succinct over time. I checked that story format out and some of those guys go much more fantasy than I'll go. Thanks! Brazil was the luck of the draw as they were the first ones to offer me a contract.

There are very differing styles in the stories forum. Some like tenthreeleader go very deep into writing a story around the game, whereas others, like mark wilson27, update in very much the fashion you have hear.

Good luck, anyway :thup:

Tue, July 14th, 2009

My scout informs me that Auto Esporte are missing alot of first team players for our clash. This gives our team hope. We are set as 6-4 favorites by the bookmakers.

Wed, July 15th, 2009

I make a tactical switch a more wide open 4-4-2 formation and a couple player selection changes and the match is underway. Auto Esporte are on the attack immediately and pepper our goalkeeper with 2 long shot chances which he saved nicely. My squad gets their bearings together and launch into the attack themselves. We control and dominate the rest of half, and watch as one of our shots bang against the post. But we fail to find the goal. We're in the locker room, nil-nil, and I'm pleased with our performance. The 2nd half starts the same way with the first half as ended as we assault the Auto Esporte goal. The inflexibility of the players on my bench really hamstring my ability to substitute properly and make the necessary changes. We spend the final 15 minutes of the 2nd half with players out of position. We are unable to find that goal and the match ends a disappointing scoreless draw. We deserved better. I sympathize with the squad.

genus4.png

Nacional (AM) earn a draw at home vs Jaguare and my 1 point edge from safety remains unchanged. Bad news however as Nacional's final match will be away to Corinthians (AL) on Saturday, who have managed just 2 draws in 13 matches. Our final match will be on Sunday away to Tigers. Atleast we'll know by match day what we will need to do.

[email=http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/287/genus5.png]http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/287/genus5.png[/email]

Sat, July 18th, 2009

Terrible News. Nacional (AM) destroy Corinithians (AL) 3-1 to volt past us in the league table. We are 2 points back heading away to Tigres do Brasil tomorrow. We must win or this may be perhaps the shortest job spell of my life. Who on earth would ever give me another chance if I got this club relegated out of the lowly Brazilian Third Division?

My scouts inform me Tigres is also missing a bunch of first teamers. We must finish our chances if we are to survive.

Sun, July 19th, 2009

I keep the same 4-4-2 formation we had success with, but I rotate a few of the rested regulars back into the starting lineup. Everybody is in good spirits. Here's hoping for the best.

We control most of the first half in the near-empty Tigres home and get several shots at goal but in the 33rd minute disaster strikes. A bad giveaway in our midfield leads to a good Tigres opportunity and they don't waste it. They go up 1-0 and our backs are against the wall. The rest of the half plays out uneventful. I implore my squad to dig deep and give everything they have in the 2nd half. WE STRIKE BACK! 63rd minute our midfielder Marco Antonio plays a good ball into the box that finds the left foot of striker Careca and he one-times it into the back of the net to knot the match. Our team is gathering confidence. I make a couple switches. They don't pay off. Tigres strikes again. 77th minute. Our fate is sealed. We go overload in a desperate attempt for a great escape, a goal disallowed for offsides in the 89th minute shatters any remaining hope we had left. We're going down.

genus6.png

We get back to Porto Velho. Suprisingly I have not been canned yet!

The chairman informs me he would like to keep me on for the Rondonia State Championships beginning in January. You mean I am going to get paid while I wait for this next competition to roll around? Excellent.

Archived