Defensive Midfilder/"Makalele Role"

How do you get a DM in a 4-5-1/4-3-3 to sit infront of the centre backs and intercept and tackle alot, which allows the full backs to get forward without leaving too much space behind, then also in a 4-4-2 allowing one central midfilder to sit back and do the same as former mentioned while allowing the other central midfielder to join the attack,

At the moment I have the Defensive midfielder with no forward runs, tight marking, low closing down and the same mentality as the center backs but still it is too far up the pitch and leaves alot of space between him and the 2 center backs. Very frustrating!

For how you describe what you want and what you've currently got, I'd say reduce the mentality of the DMC until he's in the area of the pitch you want him to be (mentality has an impact upon positioning - high mentality will get a player playing more advanced than his 'standard' postioning and low mentality will pull him closer to your own goal). For the interceptions and tackling, I have success with quite high pressing which allows a DMC with a decent engine to cover the FBs as well as the centre.

Archived