Attacking Tactic For Non League Teams

All I see around the forums are Tactics for the Likes of Man Utd, Arsenal etc etc. What happened to tactics for Non League teams? They appear to be few and far between.

Please Note: These tactics were built on the Demo Version (10.0 not the 10.1).

I have always preferred managing a Non League club to a higher team but I have really struggled with my own ideas and trying other tactics within these forums.

WEYMOUTH - Have you tried managing Weymouth in FM 2010? I find them to be one of the hardest teams to manage at this level. In real life ay Weymouth last season their players quit due to no pay and their youth team was used for the rest of the season seeing them fall into the Blue Square South. This is reflected in FM 2010 with players of little value or players who have actually retired irl helping them out as in Steve Claridge. He actually came out of retirement to play for them this season. With no money available and TWO bank loans to be repaid finances are difficult and after a couple of free transfer signings the wage bill remaining drops to £25 a week!

But what makes Weymouth really hard is that the expectations of the board and fans are far higher than the talent available represents. Straight away you are expected to gain promotion and match odds often have you as favourites even in away games. So plenty of pressure to try out this tactic then!

OFFENCE WITH DEFENCE.

I have always preferred an attacking style of play but it is hard to pull off in FM 2010 (as in real life I expect) without getting the defence balance right. So I went with a theory of packing the defence but having three up front to cause their own problems. For the two to work I believed that pace was necessary. Attributes are not free flowing at this level but I made sure that any player I bought in had a minimum of in pace.

FORMATION

I’ve gone for a 4-1-2-3 or 4-2-1-3

TACTICS

Home Version 1

img001qa.jpg

Home Version 2

img001sv.jpg

I change between home V1 & V2 so I’m not quite so predicable for the opposition. The only difference is one of the CM’s drops to DM. Otherwise the team settings are the same. It is important to have at least 2 players that can play as either CM or DM, looking at my small squad above you’ll see I have three that can play in those positions.

The away tactic uses the same formation as the Home v2 but different settings. More Time Wasting and Counter Attack.

Version picking - It’s not as simple as use home at home, away tactic away. I started the season like that but now I’m starting away games as favourites so I’ll choose one of the home tactics instead. If you go a goal behind in an away game consider changing to the home tactic but switch back if you pull level in a hard game.

LONG SHOTS

Isn’t it annoying when opponents long shots fly in and their player has a low attribute for Long Shots? While using this tactic I can’t recall a long shot going in from the opponents but I’ve scored a few myself! Bodies behind the ball mean long shots often go high and over. But get the ball and run into space and you have a clear shot on goal - why not test the keeper? After selecting your team each game go to View>Long Shots…

img001p.jpg

DON’T MAKE THE MISTAKE OF THINKING MY SETTINGS WILL DO. Do it after selecting your team and before starting the match as each time you change a player you may need to adjust this.

At this level I think anyone over 10 should be set to ‘sometimes’ anyone 15+ should be ‘often’.

AGGRESION

The tactic uses aggressive tactic in order to get a tackle in, otherwise they just stand off. Always consider either subbing a carded players or reduce his tackling after being carded.

SUBSTITUTES

Around the 60 to 65th minute consider making substitutes regardless of the score. I always do this as fatigue does play a role and effects players at this level. By the 65th minute I’ve always used two out of my 3 subs, keep one back for an injure.

TIME WASTING

In FM 2010 it is possible for the opposition who have struggled all game to suddenly out of nowhere start playing like Brazil and score 3 goals in three minutes. However with the correct instructions you should prevent this. As the tactic was built using the Tactics Creator you could use the Shouts or I just goto Tactics>Team Instructions>Advanced then drop the Tempo and increase the Time Wasting.

img001h.jpg

As you can see goals have not been a problem also I’ve not lost a game yet.

I would recommend this only for the Blue Square North/South & Premier maybe even Division 2. Not sure about any higher.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mavlz0doiyo (HOME V1)

http://www.mediafire.com/?gnjyzomo22y (HOME v2)

http://www.mediafire.com/?mikzbnjzrjt (Away)

Slightly off topic but do you use this update Andy http://www.community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=159082? I highly reccomend it if you like the challenge of playing at a low level.

A nice read, its good to see a lot of thought out threads in the last few days appearing :)

Thanks Cleon, never knew Fm2010 could go any lower than the current set up. Will check that out for sure.

Archived