Question about 'Poacher' role

Looking at the description of the Poacher, it states the player will sit on the shoulder of the last defender waiting to run onto through balls. However, in settings 'Foward Runs' is only set to 'Mixed' rather than 'Often'. How come? Surely he should looking to spring forward whenever possible?

Also do you find setting him to Target man 'Run onto Ball' will help? I'm having trouble getting my striker to latch onto through balls.

Well, if I think of a true poacher like for example Roy Makaay you would want him to stay in the middle to pick up any pass and have a shot at goal. To me a poacher is one of those strikers who you might not see for 85 minutes in a match yet still scores the winning goal. I'm not sure what sort of setting is right for that, "move into channels" or "cut inside" seem to both be fairly redundant for a poacher, though I could imagine "move into channels" to be more suitable.

"Cut inside" as far as I know just means he'll run or dribble towards the center of the pitch from the wings, which is not really a poacher's job.

I could be wrong though, maybe someone who knows a little more could clear this up.

Looking at the description of the Poacher, it states the player will sit on the shoulder of the last defender waiting to run onto through balls. However, in settings 'Foward Runs' is only set to 'Mixed' rather than 'Often'. How come? Surely he should looking to spring forward whenever possible?

Also do you find setting him to Target man 'Run onto Ball' will help? I'm having trouble getting my striker to latch onto through balls.

Because he'll be playing on the shoulder of the defenders he's already in an advanced position, with mixed runs he's less likely to be caught offside as much and it allows him to play his natural game as he'll be making runs when he sees fit, with foward runs often he'll look to make runs at every opportunity good or bad, which could lead him to being caught offside more often than not or getting himself isolated, that's my take on it.

Because he'll be playing on the shoulder of the defenders he's already in an advanced position, with mixed runs he's less likely to be caught offside as much and it allows him to play his natural game as he'll be making runs when he sees fit, with foward runs often he'll look to make runs at every opportunity good or bad, which could lead him to being caught offside more often than not or getting himself isolated, that's my take on it.

Spot on.

Someone so advanced doesn't need forward runs as he's got nowhere to run either, as hes on the defenders shoulder already.

Archived