FM 10: Official Birmingham City Thread - The Chinese Revolution

King Costly

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alreet Brummies! Hope your games are all going well, I’m going to start a game with the Birmingham today, but with the twist that I can only sign players of 18 years of age and under. I’ve just done one season of this with Liverpool, and I could do with a bigger challenge, and with the amount of money Birmingham have, seems like it would be perfect! I’m going to use the latest version of Metal Guitarist’s Update.

Any information you all can share with me (best youth, formations, ways to use players etc.) would be greatly appreciated; clearly I’ll have a look through the thread for some ideas though! Look forward to chattin’ with you all. Peas.

Heyy, I was playing on a different save where i was Manutd and my mate was Man City, it soon became boring when he had all the money. So we thought we would start a new midlands relegation battle save. I decided to be Birmingham and he was Wolves. Firstly i agreed to finish top half for the extra £7mil and the stupid wage budget. This gave me £27mil. I sacked the majority of the staff and brought in the usuals like Eastock, Clemence, Lewin etc. I then set up my team and looked at my weak points.

Looking at the weak points i signed the following players:

Sandro £9m

Zapata £15m

Bernardo £2.7m

Palermo £500k

Enyeama £1m

Deschacht £1.3m

Then I sold the following players:

O'Connor £2.2m

Fahey £3.5m

Colin £375k (Loan fee)

This left me with this line up:

Hart

Carr Johnson Zapata Deschacht

Larsson Ferguson Sandro Mcfadden

Jerome/Benitez Palermo

Subs:

Enyeama

Dann

Queudrue

Bernardo

O'Shea

Bowyer

Benitez/Jerome

I thought this left me a good enough team to avoid relegation. I've just made it too the half way point and im currently 10th in the league. I was sitting comfortable in 8th place about to move on 7th but then i was hit by a stupid FM moment. I had 10 injures and that included Mcfadden, Jerome, Benitez, Palermo, Phillips, Larsson, Deschacht, Hart and Ferguson. As you can see it left me playing 3/4 games with no strikers never mind getting them back to fitness and form. So obviously i lost points down to draws and 1 - 0 loses where i couldn't score.

Sandro has been a revelation for me. I signed him because of all the rave on the forums you read and i can tell you he is amazing. I from when i brought him and a couple of weeks later his stats were already shooting up. He is one of the names always first down on the team sheet, hes consistent performer a bargain for £9mil who will no doubt improve in both value and talent. He also disappeared to the U20 World Cup finals where he came second in the player of the tournament. Which was promising. I play him MC with the role of ball winning player and down to defend. He seems to hold the position well and uses the ball well, hes doesn't shoot from range and waste the ball at all. I play Ferguson along side him because it gives him some experience and I think Ferguson is still a first teamer, he players MC with the role of box to box with support and he plays this role well getting assists and even a few amount of goals. I brought Bernardo because i also read that he turns into an amazing player but i am yet to see it. His stats have improved but he cannot put in a decent performance for me. He keeps giving the ball away and costing me valuable points in the league. This is why i leave him on the bench hoping that eventually he will turn into a decent player.

Palermo was a gamble at the age of 35 but for 500k i couldn't resist. He was well worth the risk this 20 heading, jumping, strength, determination influence, balance there was only one role i could play him.. target man. I set him as the target man and feed to head and he was been prolific. I don't stick to the crossing game, but when one comes in he will be on the end of it. He will also take defenders on and can finishing a shot with his 16 finishing.Also, just to let you know, Palermo doesn't get tired after every game, hes fitter than the majority of my team haha, and hes always ready to play. Im hoping to use him as tutoring for Dzeko next season if i can sign him :D! I play Jerome/Benetiz in the poacher role with their duty as attack. Jerome and Benitez keep blowing hot and cold for me, for example Benitez scores a hat trick then will do nothing the next game, can be annoying but with Jerome, Palermo and Phillips there it doesn't usually seem to bother the team. Also at the start of the season i had a respectable bid accepted for Gignac and he actually wanted to come but i cancelled it by mistake and by the time i had put a bid in again he had already signed a new contract with Toulouse :(, just thought i would let any new manager know ;).

Zapata at £15mil seems expensive but my mate had him at Man city and he was amazing. Decent performance and many goals with his really good heading stats. For me he has been my rock at the back and he plays the role of Limited Defender with his duty as Cover and Johnson as Central Defender and Defend. Deschacht has also been decent with me, i thought he was a gem of a buy for the price seeing has Van Damme was going to cost me £5m+ which i thought was stupid.

The key to my season is beating all of the teams that are in the second half of the table at home and on the road. I don't seem to draw many games i either win or lose, not always by big margins its just how its gone for me. My best results were a 2 - 0 win at home against the Villa :D and a shocking 0 - 1 win against utd at trafford. Was amazing :).

I've just put a contract in for Riquelme and he wants to come! Hes set to sign depending on work permit. I cannot wait for Riquelme, was a team i will have then. Also had an offer for Boca's Insua, but his work permit will be turned down no doubt. I've also just signed Diaby on a season long loan to help me get through the later stages of the season.

This post turned out longer than i thought haha, if you have any questions just ask and no doubt i'll have some :).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived