xavi settings?

Hey guys I recently read SFraser's post in the passing range topic and this is how i set up xabi alonso for my liverpool team:

passing:mixed

creative freedom:much

closing down:whole field

ttb:mixed

long shot:rarely

HUB:yes

Free role:yes

marking:zonal+tight

Now i would like to know if this is how to set up a playmaker, if you know better instructions to be used for the playmaker to make him play like xavi then feel free to share your opinion.

Cheers.

Hey guys I recently read SFraser's post in the passing range topic and this is how i set up xabi alonso for my liverpool team:

passing:mixed

creative freedom:much

closing down:whole field

ttb:mixed

long shot:rarely

HUB:yes

Free role:yes

marking:zonal+tight

Now i would like to know if this is how to set up a playmaker, if you know better instructions to be used for the playmaker to make him play like xavi then feel free to share your opinion.

Cheers.

I don't think you need high creative freedom for a deep playmaker.

RWB and LS on rare

You certainly don't want full field closing down

TTB should be on often

HUB and FR yes.

Tight marking, nope.

Basically you want him to have some defensive responsibilities but not make him focus on that in the same way that you have your MCd or DM do. You have Masch at Liverpool for that.

If you can, read Tactical Theorems & Frameworks 09. There's an excellent explanation on how to set up various types of players in there.

Personally SFraser said something that I've begun to adapt into all my formations and it actually really works. If you have one of your players with TTB on Often, its a better compliment to put RWB on often as well, as then instead of just throwing out the first through ball he see's, he will sometimes instead run with the ball and look for a better passing option.

My preferred settings for Xavi in my Barcelona save are

• Mentality - Team Mentality
    Creative Freedom - 16-18 (between four and two notches off maximum)
    Passing - 12 (first notch of direct)
    Closing Down - 10 (middle of the bar, own area)
    Tackling - Team Tackling
    Forward Runs - Rarely
    Run With Ball - Often
    Long Shots - Rarely
    Try Through Ball - Often
    Cross Ball - Rarely
    Free-Role - Ticked
    Hold up Ball - Un-ticked

That's how I've played Xavi for the last 6 seasons and he generally racks up around 30-35 assists a season, most of them coming from Open Play as I don't use the Corner Bug, feel that its over-used and isn't really a true representation of how corners are done.

As a side note, I have Free Role enabled for most of my attacking unit, so it may not work as well for you.

Archived