When love, love will tear us apart again (Challenge of the Ages)

haze.13

Katja

The slight groan of the mattress springs stirred him instantly. Van Es was greeted by the morning sun dancing across her naked back as she sat up and discreetly vanished into the bathroom. This was no common prostitute - no this was Kadiev's best girl - and she had more than proved that in just one night. Drifting off again with happy thoughts swimming through his mind Van Es' dream was soon interrupted by what could only be described as the greatest crime against humanity that Joy Division would have wished to inflict on the Western world. 'Love will tear us apart' as a SonyEricsson ring tone. Tragically the second repeat had begun before Van Es finally picked up...

"Yello?"

"Bob you old b*stard i was expecting to hear from you yesterday."

"No. I'm here already."

"Yep. Signed the papers yesterday."

"Dinamo Makhachkala."

"M-A-K-H-A-C-H-K-A-L-A. No the first K is silent. I think it's something like 'ma-hack-arla'. It's on the Caspian Sea in Dagestan."

"Yes Russia you tw*t!"

"Sure everyone else is in Spain, England, Norway, Denmark, Portugal and even Belgium but well I've still got my contacts in Armenia you know, so why not test my luck in the East."

"Yep. Going with the kids. Hell you try and convince any sane well travelled old pros to come and play in Makhachkala! I figure desperate kids will play just about anywhere."

"Why only 3?"

"Fine! It couldn't get any tougher then could it."

"Oh."

"Cheers Bob. Yeah you too."

Kadiev's girl returned to the bedroom dripping wet and obviously felt that she hadn't performed her deeds dutifully enough. The door clicked to closed carefully and the formalities had been completed - her name was Katja, she would be back next Tuesday and every Tuesday after that - maybe just maybe life in Dagestan wouldn't be so tough.

Just yesterday Van Es first met with Kadiev and things went very smoothly. Just how a career coach like Stu Van Es came to be in Makhachkala did not concern the Chairman of Dinamo. The only thing that concerned Kadiev was business - and Van Es fitted the bill perfectly - there were just three requirements on the agenda. Did Van Es know football? Yes. Could he speak Russian? Yes. Was he cheap? Oh yes! With that Kadiev handed the keys to his office to the affable Van Es and told him to hold the fort until he returned next week from business in Moscow.

"Training is at 6pm tomorrow. But Valery is taking it, you just observe for now. Don't do anything stupid just yet okay!"

Just what business is Kadiev doing in Moscow?

What the hell sort of a name is Stu Van Es?

And will Stu do something stupid at the first training session? Obviously he will!

Katja

The slight groan of the mattress springs stirred him instantly. Van Es was greeted by the morning sun dancing across her naked back as she sat up and discreetly vanished into the bathroom. This was no common prostitute - no this was Kadiev's best girl - and she had more than proved that in just one night. Drifting off again with happy thoughts swimming through his mind Van Es' dream was soon interrupted by what could only be described as the greatest crime against humanity that Joy Division would have wished to inflict on the Western world. 'Love will tear us apart' as a SonyEricsson ring tone. Tragically the second repeat had begun before Van Es finally picked up...

"Yello?"

"Bob you old b*stard i was expecting to hear from you yesterday."

"No. I'm here already."

"Yep. Signed the papers yesterday."

"Dinamo Makhachkala."

"M-A-K-H-A-C-H-K-A-L-A. No the first K is silent. I think it's something like 'ma-hack-arla'. It's on the Caspian Sea in Dagestan."

"Yes Russia you tw*t!"

"Sure everyone else is in Spain, England, Norway, Denmark, Portugal and even Belgium but well I've still got my contacts in Armenia you know, so why not test my luck in the East."

"Yep. Going with the kids. Hell you try and convince any sane well travelled old pros to come and play in Makhachkala! I figure desperate kids will play just about anywhere."

"Why only 3?"

"Fine! It couldn't get any tougher then could it."

"Oh."

"Cheers Bob. Yeah you too."

Kadiev's girl returned to the bedroom dripping wet and obviously felt that she hadn't performed her deeds dutifully enough. The door clicked to closed carefully and the formalities had been completed - her name was Katja, she would be back next Tuesday and every Tuesday after that - maybe just maybe life in Dagestan wouldn't be so tough.

Just yesterday Van Es first met with Kadiev and things went very smoothly. Just how a career coach like Stu Van Es came to be in Makhachkala did not concern the Chairman of Dinamo. The only thing that concerned Kadiev was business - and Van Es fitted the bill perfectly - there were just three requirements on the agenda. Did Van Es know football? Yes. Could he speak Russian? Yes. Was he cheap? Oh yes! With that Kadiev handed the keys to his office to the affable Van Es and told him to hold the fort until he returned next week from business in Moscow.

"Training is at 6pm tomorrow. But Valery is taking it, you just observe for now. Don't do anything stupid just yet okay!"

Just what business is Kadiev doing in Moscow?

What the hell sort of a name is Stu Van Es?

And will Stu do something stupid at the first training session? Obviously he will!

Just stupid

The first training was going quite smoothly. Experienced coach Valery Zazdravnykh had taken charge with Van Es merely watching on from the stands as requested by Kadiev. That was until veteran fullback Arsen Akhaev strolled over just below Van Es and proceeded to talk and laugh with one of the trainers while the other players were running a few laps. Okay so maybe Van Es shouldn't have rushed down and confronted the big Russian - getting in his face and pointing to the others shouting run, run you worthless mule - but then Akhaev shouldn't have swung a left hook either. Van Es swayed back as the fist whistled past his brow and promptly followed with an uppercut leaving 90kgs of 34 year old prime Russian meat on the muddied turf.

"Screw him, he's gone, he's out of here!" Mused Van Es with clinical delivery down the line to Kadiev.

"Be careful son, I'll be back in town by Friday. Promise me you won't do anything else careless will you? Promise me! Replied Kadiev as he abruptly slammed down the phone.

To answer the question on everyones lips. Stuart Van Es was born to a Scottish mother and a Dutch father on the 13th of April 1967. Growing up in Glasgow in the 70's he learnt about football and life the tough way, the family decided it was best for the youngster if they took him out of Glasgow and headed for Australia to start a new life. A lifetime of travels ensued for the young Stu. Not content with the good life down under at the age of 17 he began the life of a footballing nomad. Playing professionally if unspectacularly everywhere from Indonesia to Italy, Armenia to Argentina.

With tainted irony his career ended where his life had begun in Glasgow, playing for a local college old scholars team. That was where he met a certain Bob Bev down at the local. No doubt Bob would debate this meeting but then he was messier than Mark Messier in a mess hall that night. That's not important now, Stu and Bob kept in touch periodically mainly just chatting, drinking and gambling over a footy match. At 34 Van Es managed to acquire some part time coaching work with club side Pyunik Yerevan in Armenia, the only sane reason that they would have hired the nomadic one could have been due to his amazingly exotic CV. That and the fact that he could speak the language of course.

The rest now is straight forward. Well relatively straight forward at least. Bob had a grand bet on amongst he and his footballing mates. Stu was never one to let a good thing pass him by so he hit the first flight to managerless Dinamo Makhachkala. Based in - you guessed it - Makhachkala a good sized trade city at the border of Europe and the Middle East bounded by the Caspian Sea to the East and the Caucasus Mountains to the South and West in the of republic of Dagestan, Russia.

Why is Kadiev still in Moscow when his new manager is punching players in the face?

Is it next Tuesday yet?

And will Stu do something stupid at the second training session? It's quite likely you know!

Cheers attjen and chester. It's a tried and tested comic aid chester but I figure it might add a little spice.

Some details: 6.0.2 with Russian and English leagues running and large database with players loaded from all former federations of the USSR.

Btw the first post may read a little confusing as i failed to add that we only heard the Van Es side of the phone conversation with the mysterious Bob. I'm hoping to improve my conversation writing technique so bear with me.

Papers

Kadiev's return from Moscow was laced with equal parts fury and despair. But he held one hope - the third drawer - no one knew about the third drawer of his desk in the office. It was his salvation - all important documents would be held in the third drawer and mock documents would be created and filed in the cabinet marked 'contracts' - it was ingenious (or so Kadiev thought).

Breathing deeply he managed to get it together to finally confront his out of control manager of just four days. Without faltering Kadiev came down on Van Es, "So have you filed the transfer papers? Where did you get the papers from? Have you even viewed the contracts? Son you have no idea what you're starting here!"

Van Es reeled back from the visibly agitated Russian, "Let me see? Yes, the third drawer, yes and I think I have a fair idea about what I'm starting. Does that cover it?"

"The third drawer" queried Kadiev.

"Yes"

"You filed the transfer papers from this third drawer?" stressed a now panicked Kadiev as he pulled open the third drawer of his desk.

"Yes"

"Not from the cabinet over there marked contracts?" whispered Kadiev as his voice began to shake.

"What cabinet - no! The papers from the third drawer!" emphasised Van Es as he began to tire with the chairman's roundabout questioning. "What's the problem boss?"

Kadiev held his head in his hands. "The problem is that you have filed legitimate transfer requests for more than half the side. I'm the only one that signs off transfer forms around here. I RUN THIS SHOW KID!!" screamed the usually calm Russian.

"Well now your running a show with 12 disgruntled senior players since I've made it plain and clear that while I manage here they will not see the pitch for the first team. Given that I have a fresh 12 month contract sitting here in my back pocket then we'd better forget about those players and start searching for some decent replacements that want to play under me" responded a curt Van Es.

Okay breath Osman, thought Kadiev as he regathered himself, "Let me get this clear?" pleaded Kadiev.

"Agalarov?"

"Too slow"

"Strelbin?"

"Not required"

"Romanenco?"

"Lazy worthless piece of sh*t"

"Gadjiev?"

"Fascist"

"What, Gadjiev was a fascist? I never noticed, he could have been useful" quipped Kadiev now seeing the lighter side of the situation before continuing, "Romanovich?"

"My sister's got more balls than that weak

nancy"

"Ismailov?"

"Yeah I admit Ismailov could play. Shame he had such a mouth on him"

"Nosov?"

"Useless"

"Syrovatko?"

"Sided with Akaev over the whole broken nose fiasco"

"Sonin, Sadirov?"

"Both drivelling little tossers that couldn't handle a good kicking on a night out if they tried"

"Tonga?"

"Quality player. Wouldn't take a pay cut though, sorry!"

"We know about Akaev then?"

"Yeah, kept getting his nose broken"

"So that's it then?" queried Kadiev. "No more surprises for today?"

"No, that's about the most of it for now" Van Es summised.

"For now?"

"Well yeah, tomorrow we'll start looking for replacements" informed Van Es.

"One thing now Van Es!" threatened Kadiev. "This club is very important to me, more important than you could ever believe. You f*ck up and get us relegated and your balls will hang my boy. Comprende!"

"Si mi amigo" Van Es mockingly responded.

"Keep playing your little games as much as you like, but you get a team on the pitch and you succeed in not failing!" demanded Kadiev. Walking away at a point where he would happily throttle his cocky manager.

Van Es returned to his office to find a copy of an old article that had discretely been slipped under his door, presumably by the club secretary Mariana. It was an english edition of the Bulgarian Standard newspaper from 1999. The colour of Van Es' face paled significantly as he read the first few lines and confirmed that the picture was infact the man that he had just left in the boardroom.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Police Searches for Russian Mafia's Boss Freed in Secrecy by Bulgarian Court

Osman Beyrekovich Kadiev has been chosen to inherit Vyacheslav Ivankov-Yaponchik, who is detained in a US jail

The police announced for the second time national retrieval of Osman Beyrekovich Kadiev, previously released in secrecy by the Bulgarian court. Interpol's Bureu in Bulgaria proclaimed Kadiev for national inquiry on July 27 after an official request from their colleagues in USA. On August 26 Kadiev was arrested in Sofia airport.

On September 27 his restraint measure "detained in custody" was changed to a recognizance by Sofia court of appeal. Same day at 6 p.m. he was released.

Next day, the Supreme Cassation Prosecution and Sofia city prosecution forwarded instructions to the National Police Department and Border Police, ordering immediate retrieval and arrest of Kadiev and confiscation of his documents.

The police checked twice the address given by the Russian national, but found nobody there. That's why the Ministry of Interior renewed the official national retrieval of Kadiev.

It is supposed that Kadiev has inherited the Russian gangster Vyacheslav Ivankov-Yaponchik, who is detained in a US jail. Osman Kadiev is the chieftain of one of the biggest Dagestan organised crime's groups in Moscow, shows a check up carried out by Russian special services.

41-year-old Kadiev,born in Dagestan began his criminal career as a leader of a gruop of 15-20 men, which controqls the utoshow room "Lital" in Moscow. Another check up shows that at the begining Kadiev commanded yet another group of 25-30 men, which controls the hotels "Sport", "Dnepr", "Salute", stores, besides the group deals with extortion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forget recruiting players for now. The only name on Stu Van Es' lips was Johnny Walker - neat of course. A cold sweat began to engulf the poor guy as thoughts of the threats offered just moments by Kadiev began to form in his mind. Grabbing the newspaper clipping and a few papers Van Es swiftly evacuated the office and drove as far from Kadiev as he could. For now that was just 50 miles into the foothills of the Caucasas mountains. He needed time to think. He needed to be alone.

Will Van Es run to the hills never to be seen again, setting up a new life in Tehran as a spice seller?

Could the affable Kadiev really be as dangerous as the newspaper made him sound?

Is Van Es capable of rebuilding a decimated squad and keeping hold of both testicles in the process?

Authors note: At this point I would like to make it clear that I chose this club due to the interesting geographic location and the structure of their playing squad. After starting the game and writing a bit I googled the Chairmans name 'Osman Kadiev' (which I often do for a physical discription or something), unfortunately I came up with the article you've just read from Bulgaria. Coincidence or not it makes a great story. I had no intentions of a mafia story but we'll see where this takes us I suppose. Come along for the ride!

Good to hear it WWABAL icon_wink.gif

Shopping

In a mixed career spotted with many failures and a few relative successes Stu Van Es had never been a quitter - so he wasn't about to start just now. Besides that how could he tell Bob that he'd quit their challenge just because a little thing like the Russian Mafiosi was getting in the way.

Confronting Kadiev, Van Es was surprised with the good natured response that came from the big unit, "Don't worry kid! I don't do that sh*t now - I'm square now - all we do here is operate a good little football club while I try to make a living running the ports down on the Caspian"

"So this is merely a misunderstanding then?" quizzed Van Es.

"Like I said I'm square now. I trade, I buy, I sell and it's all legit now. Let's get on with finding a playing squad. After all the season starts in just three weeks you know" Kadiev paused - relieved that the situation had been glossed over, "Did Mariana show you the budget I've allowed? Oh and of course any finances we receive for any of those old goats on the transfer list will go straight to the budget for you to do as you wish"

"Thanks boss. The budget looks more than adequate for me to deal with. Thanks again" replied Van Es.

"No problems. You know where I am kid. Call me anytime - I know you know what your doing though. I do trust you Stu!"

With a squad made up of a couple of average keepers - one centre back, a 17 year old right back - four right wingers, a left winger, two central midfielders - and four strikers Van Es had a core group to build a squad around. Of these 15 youngsters perhaps 5 or 6 were thought to be first team level footballers. It was time for Van Es to go shopping! With a reasonable transfer budget of just under 60k (pounds) and wages of up to 9.25k per week there was room to move and the three cash transfers would have to be big players to upsize this squad to one that can survive the Pervyy divizion (that's the first division for those playing at home - or the old second division for those of yesteryear).

Of the existing playing group Van Es decided he'd seen enough to break the team into three groups; those that demonstrated talent, those that would be development prospects and those that would merely add depth to a small squad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Real talents

Konstantin Gomlenko (DC - 23 years old) The only defender in the squad that is worthy of the first team. Gomlenko is a towering defender and an allround performer.

Shamil Burdziev (AM R - 19) Genuine, genuine talent. A lightweight winger with class. Will get first team exposure regardless of age.

Rasim Khutov (AM C - 23) At 6'2" he's a silky ball player with size. Imposing on the ball Rasim will be a key player in the centre of the park.

Eugeny Somchenko (ST - 23) The best striker on the list. Has great anticipation and a real eye for goal.

Shamil Asildarov (ST -21) Very pacey and talented striker, good future.

Development material

Arthur Sadirov (M L - 19)

Pavel Dorokhin (M R - 20)

Amir Gasanov (D R - 17)

Eugeny Pankov (DM - 21)

Kamil Agalarov (M R - 16)

Just for depth

Gamleth Siukaev (AM R - 23)

Victor Chakrygin (GK - 21)

Sergey Golovko (ST - 24)

Sergey Serdyukov (ST - 24)

Andrey Sidelnikov (GK - 24)

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The first arrival at Dinamo Makhachkala was more of a favour than a signing as Vladimir Mikhaltsov joined as Van Es' Assistant Manager. At 35 Vladimir had just finished his playing career and was a former colleague of Stu's in Armenia. The Belarussian went straight to work identifying transfer targets and begining preparations for next weeks friendlies. As of tomorrow defenders would be the main targets along with a depth to all areas. Anyone that was young and could kick a ball would be considered.

"One other thing Stu" said Vladimir as he prepared to leave the club after his first day, "I might have a surprise for you at training tomorrow!"

"What Vlad? What, you know I hate pranks bro. This had better be good"

"Let's just say the boy's got a few caps under his belt and leave it at that for now" smiled Vlad.

Stu flashed a grin back at his old mate, "I knew you wouldn't let me down. I'll sleep well tonight now my crazy Belarussian friend"

Has anyone else noticed that the new Assistant Manager looks very familiar?

Does a club really need more than 5 players that know what a football looks like to play in the second tier of Russian football?

Just because the only scout at the club is a 57 year old one legged man that smells like fish doesn't mean he can't still pick a winner, does it?

If that's truly what you believe chester icon_wink.gif

Thanks LCFC!

Kids

Not only was the site of Apula Bete walking around the Dinamo pitch a great relief to Van Es it also raised a few eyebrows amongst the local media. Who - lets face it - had little to do around Makhachkala now that the race riots had passed a few years back. Being on the border of Eastern Europe and the Middle East and Asia has ensured that the cities history is filled with incidences of racial disharmony and political unrest. If you are to believe most local sources the decline in the conflict has coincided with Osman Kadiev's disarming of the Dagestan mafia which occurred back in the summer of 2004.

Back to Bete there was just the little issue of conjuring up an agreeable transfer fee and the 18 year old Armenian national goalkeeper would be standing between the posts at Dinamo on a permanent basis. Born in Cameroon, Bete's family migrated to Armenia when he was just 14 and the story now reads that he would gain dual citizenship three years later and subsequently be rewarded with his first full cap at the ripe old age of 17.

Van Es sat down with Kadiev in the stand and explained that this signature would be the first of many. Kadiev looked sceptical, "Do you really think you can win this league with kids?"

"Haven't you heard of Bill Shankley?" questioned Van Es.

"Shankley. Wasn't he some famous English writer?"

"If they're good enough, they're old enough" quoted Van Es proudly.

"So what!" volleyed Kadiev.

"Shankley believed in the kids - and so do I boss. So do I!"

Kadiev just stared coldly at the young manager.

Van Es continued, "Today I'm getting that quote painted above the door in the changerooms. Everyday these boys will see that and they'll become stronger. They will believe - and every member of the staff here from Denis the boot studder up to you boss will believe as well. I give you my word!"

"Good. Let's get to work then" grinned Kadiev childishly.

The following two weeks absolutely flew by with eight players signing for Dinamo - including the clubs first signing under Van Es in Apula Bete. Bete joined officially from Pyunik in Armenia once an agreeable fee totalling 95K was delivered. The young keeper was elated to be at a club of such prestige - it is firmly believed that the young Armenian-Cameroonian thought he had signed for the more famous but equally uninspiring Anzhi Makhachkala. With their one Pervyy divizion title back in 1999 Anzhi are the Man United of Makhachkala with Dinamo the Man City equivalent, not just because they wear the light blue proudly but also due to their spiteful hatebred towards their bigger city rival.

Joining Bete at Dinamo were three defenders signing for a grand sum of - wait for it - nothing. Andriy Tcherevko, Andrey Bovtalo and Algis Jankauskas were the bargain buy defenders in question. The biggest signing of Van Es' first raid was no doubt brilliant young centre back Kamalutdin Akhmedov who was prised from Khimki for what is believed to be a club record of 100K. Holding midfielder Alexey Petrov and striker Igor Shevchenko also joined on free transfers while versatile winger Alexey Nikolaev completed the signings when he joined from CSKA Moscow for 1K plus a few future payments. On top of these signings a talented young midfielder Dmitry Kudrashov signed on for a trial after Prem'er-Liga side Krylja Sovetov decided he was not worth continuing with.

After the squads first real training as a group it was clear to see that Van Es had uncovered a few quality kids and without doubt the side was stronger for the recruitment efforts of the staff over the past week or two. That is with the exception of the clubs 57 year old scout Denis Lebedev who it seems is about as useful as a spanner in a gay bar, as Dinamo's only scout you would have high expectations of the guy. Don't! Yes he smells of fish. Why? Well it seems the old coot is a bit superstitious - unfortunately this means he hasn't washed since 1988. Apparently it keeps him 'lucky'. It certainly keeps him out of trouble. Anyway Kadiev has publicly stated that as long as he wants too Lebedev will always have a home at Dinamo. Legend has it that the old man gave Kadiev a heads up while he was just cutting his teeth on the streets of Makhachkala. The rest is history.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">New Signings

Apula Bete (GK - 18) You know plenty about the Cameroon born keeper already. Anyone that has 7 international caps at the age of 18 is a talent. From Pyunik in Armenia.

Kamalutdin Akhmedov (DC - 18) It took a lot to get him from Khimki but he is ready to play against the big boys. Tough, determined and above all full of ability. Signing from fellow Pervyy division side Khimki.

Andrey Bovtalo (DC - 21) A sound defender. Due to a lack of good fullbacks it looks like Bovtalo will be asked to play wide in the back four for now. Has deceptive pace for a tall lad. Signed from another Pervvy side in Luch.

Andriy Tcherevko (DC - 19) Similar to Bovtalo with less pace and a bit more toughness. Here for depth. The Ukrainian signed from Russian Prem'er-Liga side Saturn

Algis Jankauskas (SW D RLC - 22) Being the only decent fullback in the squad the Lithuanian will be a regular. Signed from another Prem'er-Liga side Amkar.

Alexey Petrov (D C, DM - 23) At 6'4" Petrov will be asked to enforce from the holding midfield position. He looks more that up for it. An aggressive, quick, hard worker that can also help out at the back. Joined from amateur Russian side Pozis.

Alexey Nikolaev (AM RL - 20) A lightning quick winger that can run both flanks with equal ease. A typical fair weather player Nikolaev has already shown an aptitude for inconsistant brilliance. Signed from Russian giants CSKA Moscow where he was groomed through their youth system.

Igor Shevchenko (ST - 20) Brought in late to add depth for the strikers. Appears to have a good head but a lack of natural ability may hold him back. Joined from fellow Pervyy side Fakel and I think they were happy to have him off their books. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The pre-season friendlies came and went without great fanfair in Makhachkala. Three wins, a draw and a loss with Somchenko proving he can deliver the goods up front with some composed and classy finishing. With the new recruits arriving for the final couple of matches it was Akhmedov and the trialist Kudryashov that were playing out of their pants.

After a couple of stunning performances the impressive Kudryashov was finally tabled a contract by Kadiev and Van Es. Surprisingly he shunned the offer saying that, "a club like Dinamo can not take a player of my calibre to the level up to where I belong!"

Well that was a shock. Van Es couldn't understand why the overconfident fool had signed with him on trial if he never intended on signing a longer term contract. As he opened an email from one of his contacts in the Netherlands made things a bit clearer. Kudryashov is rumoured to have signed for ADO Den Haag and apparently his new wage is more than half of what we have for the entire team at Dinamo. "Good luck to the kid" Van Es spoke to his computer screen. Not surprisingly there was no response.

Will the loss of Kudryashov hurt Van Es' ambitions at Dinamo?

How can anyone respect a league that is called the 'Pervyy division'?

I know it's not a leading question but... that new Assistant Manager still looks familiar I just can't place it. I know it'll come to me soon.

'The Enforcer'

Confident early season victories over Fakel and Spartak Nalchik left Dinamo surprisingly in 2nd position just behind promotion favourites Luch who had also started the season with 2 victories - a measely 4-0 on both occasions if you don't mind. 19 year old right winger Shamil Burdziev started the season in awesome fashion hitting the net twice in the opener and was joined on the scoresheet by Somchenko and the centre half Golovko. However Burdziev's explosive start to the season was to be shattered late on against Spartak Nalchik in the next match when he managed to badly tear his calf putting himself out of action until at least June. Burdiev's replacement Gamleth Siukaev made an instant impact firing home the second of three goals to ensure that Dinamo's form would continue until at least the third match of the season. A Somchenko strike salvaged a draw against SKA Khabarovsk which was followed by a Serdyukov/Somchenko double against Avangard Kursk to end the month in winning style.

The board were elated and Kadiev immediately passed on the congratulations to Van Es in the only way he knew. It seemed Van Es was to be a lucky boy now that Katya would be visiting twice a week for as long as the side stayed in the top half of the table. If there was one thing that must me said about these (former) Mafioso bosses it's that they know how to look after a lonely man in a new city.

The first month of proper football also saw the first incident of what would become a recurring issue at Dinamo. Age - backup keeper Andrey Sidelnikov had matured to the grand old age of 25, he was subsequently tranfer listed and dropped to the reserves without ever gracing the pitch under new boss Van Es.

"Sorry boss. This is the way it's going to be. You either have faith in me or sack me right now because it's only going to get tougher"

"All right, all right. Sidelnikov is useless anyway" replied Kadiev.

"The thing is boss when Somchenko turns the same age he'll receive the same treatment. As will Burdziev and Bete. It has to be an across the board/no exceptions policy"

Regretfully Kadiev agreed, "look you have 11 months on your contract and I'll give this little project of yours a chance" the eloquent Russian paused for effect, " however - if this club is failing I will pull the reigns so quickly that you won't even see it coming. After all what are contracts really worth these days"

This was where Van Es' new assistant manager Vladimir Mikhaltsov came into play. You see over the 20 years that Mikhaltsov played professionally in Armenia he'd earnt the nickname 'The Enforcer', not only due to his tough tackling misfield play but also thanks to some tough follow up work in an unofficial after match role with the club. Lets just say he helped keep those out of the club that were not wanted and keep in the club those that were still required.

Not surprisingly Sidelnikov took poorly to being dropped and listed. It wasn't long before Vlad 'The Enforcer' convinced the young man that his career may carry more legs at another club, "because your career here at Dinamo is over. Full stop! Back in Belarus we call this the 'final stand' - it means this is where you get to decide whether you walk or get pushed"

"Err, okay Mr Mikhaltsov. Thankyou I will clear my locker and wait for the club to find me a new employer if that's possible" replied a shattered Sidelnikov.

Vlad wrapped his giant arm over the shoulders of the youngster, "Good boy! It's nice to see you have some brains between those ears after all. We'll see what we can do for you"

That's why Mikhaltsov looked so familiar, it's all coming back now. After ending his playing days in Armenia Vladimir was in a TV show called 'Armenian Celebrity Big Brother'. On this show Vlad gained international infamy after brutally bashing an Armenian TV chef that had glanced at Vlad's in house girlfriend (who of course turned out to be a man, but that's an even longer story). It turned out that the TV chef had a lazy eye and wasn't perving on Vlad's girl/boyfriend. But that's life isn't it. Vlad was later cleared of any assault charges and was offered a role as a TV chef at on the very same TV station. He gracefully declined the position.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">March 2005 - Review

h Fakel 4-0

h Spartak Nalchik 3-1

a SKA Khabarosk 1-1

a Avangard Kursk 2-0

2nd in Pervyy divizion (of 22 teams) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'The Enforcer' has shown his worth but with his celebrity status can he still do his job here in Makhachkala?

In such a small squad will Burdziev's loss be covered or can the team strengthen without one of their young stars?

Can this author keep coming up with three pertinent questions at the end of each post??

You Busy?

April was to be a busy month on the field for Dinamo with eight matches in four weeks and with such a small squad this would surely test the depth and fitness of the team. A Nikolaev strike was enough to share a point at Metallurg-Kuzbass however the midweek trip to Kuban was less profitable resulting in a 3-1 loss with Somchenko's delightful finish adding little to the gloomy nature of the result.

Close to eight thousand fans packed Dinamo for the Makhachkala derby with Anzhi making the short trip from nearby Kaspiysk which is practically a suburb of Makhachkala. It took just one goal to settle a ferocious derby as Anzhi's keeper was left to rue a poor first touch enabling Somchenko to steal pride, glory and the three points - from their most hated neighbours - by tapping in with a gaping goal confronting him. Despite lowly Spartak Tchelyablinsk taking an early lead an opportunistic Asildarov strike followed by a Jankauskas penalty on the stroke of half-time were enough to claim another victory on the road.

Amur came and went with Asildarov and Serdyukov seeing off the visitors 2-0 as the season's toughest test dawned on Dinamo. Away to Sokol Saratov, whether the side really new what to expect could be questioned as after just 11 minutes Dinamo were staring at a 3-0 scoreline in favour of the home side. By half-time it was 4-0 and despite two second half consolation goals by Siukaev the 4-2 final score was due reward for a dominant Sokol Saratov side. Two strikes by Asildarov ended the month with a 1-0 win over highflying Luch followed by a 1-1 draw away to Dinamo Bryansk. Four wins, two draws and two losses in an action packed month of football saw Dinamo drop to third in the Pervyy divizion behind Ural and Luch repsctively.

Sure Kadiev was impressed by the way Van Es had the young team playing but what pleased the Russian even more was the fact that if the finances kept performing this well the club would have close to 2 million in the kitty by the season's close. Cutting senior players and bringing in youngsters that would play for a pittance had ensured that less than half of the club's wage allocation was being utilised.

On the field Somchenko and Asildarov had formed a formidable partnership in front of goals for Dinamo and Van Es was delighted. Knowing that clinical striking was essential at this level to discover a couple of youngsters that would fit his plans that were already used to the system at Dinamo was very fortunate. Of the other boys the standout must surely be Bete in goals who has saved more than one game on his own fingertips whilst Khutov so far looks more than capable of bossing the midfield at this level. It looks like Siukaev can cover the loss of young starlet Burdziev for now on the right but any other injuries would certainly test the depth in this young squad.

April 2005 - Review

h Metallurg-Kuzbass 1-1

a Kuban 1-3

h Anzhi 1-0

a Spartak Tchelyabinsk 2-1

h Amur 2-0

a Sokol Saratov 2-4

h Luch 1-0

a Dinamo Bryansk 1-1

3rd (of 22) in Pervyy divizion

I suppose this means the answer for now is no!

Flying

Four goals in as many games for Somchenko to start May reignited Dinamo's season which was threatening to fade after a bright start. A solid 2-0 win against Lokomotiv Chita was followed by a crushing 3-0 demolition away to Metallurg Lipetsk before lowly Petrotrest visited Dinamo stadium and left on the wrong end of a 2-1 scoreline. Draws with Chkalovets-1936 first, followed by KamAZ and Volgar meant that the month ended with three draws. Undefeated from six matches in May and a run of eight undefeated in total ensured that Dinamo Makhachkala had ignored the doubters by maintaining their 3rd position on the fringe of promotion as the meaty part of the season was almost upon them.

Injury was beginning to take it's toll on a relatively small and inexperienced squad. With first choice right winger Burdziev already out for a few months his backup Siukaev managed to break a toe at training in the build up to the clash with KamAZ ensuring that young Dorokhin would gain his first start of the season. The boy didn't stand out but he did a job, unfortunately if Dinamo are to maintain their current position they will need more than just work-man like efforts on the park. The competition to escape the Pervyy divizion to the bright lights of the Prem'er-Liga is always fiercely fought in Russia and this season will be no different. Everyone will now be gunning for the young upstarts of Dinamo after showing what they can do over the past eight weeks.

The press were snapping away at the feet of anything that happened around Dinamo. It appears that Van Es' appointment and subsequent shake up has not only left the club flying near the top of the Pervyy divizion table it also sparked an interest in the goings on of the football club. This amount of interest had not been witnessed since the Zona Yug success of 2003 which propelled Dinamo back into the Pervyy divizion where they belong.

Every angle was being covered. Was it the Dutch style of beautiful flowing football with the one goal of success above all else? Or was the discipinarian nature of Van Es' relationship with the strong hand of Dinamo chairman Osman Kadiev's that had bred such a fearless attitude amongst the young squad? In truth it was a melding of these theories along with another couple of angles that Van Es was prepared to open up with regard to these youngsters. The Russian discipline, precision and quest for perfection was joined by Van Es' natural quest for a beautiful and successful style of play which were then enforced by his Scottish hardness and unrelenting - if somewhat oft misguided - passion.

Various sectors of the media were even claiming that Stu Van Es could be the leader that would make Moscow stand up and take notice of Dagestan. There were even whispers that the Chechen population of this proud southern state were preparing for Dinamo and Van Es to lead them into the heart of the capitalist state. Mere speculation no doubt but the sort of speculation that causes a stir amongst the power mongers of Russian business and Russian football in Moscow, which undoubtedly go hand in hand. The name Van Es was gaining notoriety and in all honesty Stu had done little to earn such respect to date. It was early and much more would be required before speculation would turn to belief.

May 2005 - Review

h Lokomotiv Chita 2-0

a Metallurg Lipetsk 3-0

h Petrotrest 2-1

h Chkalovets-1936 1-1

a KamaAZ 0-0

a Volgar 1-1

3rd (of 22) in Pervyy divizion

Can Somchenko's golden touch continue in front of goals?

Will the notoriety gained by Van Es work against his young side?

Does Dorokhin have what it takes at this level or will the current right wing injury crisis damage Dinamo's highflying ambitions?

Bust-up

In a month shortened by international schedules Dinamo received the mixed bag in June. The run of eight matches undefeated came unstuck at home to league leaders Ural when a single Zubko penalty was enough to see off the challengers. It was back to business as the ever impressive Khutov and the returning Siukaev ensured the three points at Orel before letting two points slip at home to promotion contenders Khimki despite a brace by Somchenko's understated offsider Asildarov. With one win, one draw and one loss the Makhachkala club slipped one position to 4th in the Pervyy divizion - falling behind Khimki who are now pressuring Ural and Fakel for those precious promotion spots.

As the Dinamo Makhachkala side has settled a little now despite the right wing issues Van Es had been able to firmly pen his best eleven for the first time since taking over. In goals it is the indominable Apula Bete with Jankauskas, Akhmedov, Gomlenko and Bovtalo across the back four from left to right. The imposing Petrov has made the jump from amateur football to the Pervyy divizion with ease and holds down the defensive midfield position. Across the park once more from left to right Nikolaev, Khutov and preferably Burdziev make up the rest of the midfield. Finally up front Somchenko and Asildarov have given the backup strikers little to nibble on, but whilst these two keep scoring everyone at the club will be happy. Well everyone except the backup strikers that is. All in all the club is performing above expectations but this means little to the board who's expectations grow week to week as the club continues to fight above it's weight.

"No boss, things are going exceedingly well both on and off the pitch" replied Van Es curtly.

"On pitch - yes, but off pitch are you really sure?"

"Happy as I've been in years"

Kadiev seemed curious, "You are happy with Katja then?"

"What about Katja wouldn't I be happy with? She is beautiful and intelligent - both things that I admire greatly in a woman"

"Bah! Intelligence, wasted on a woman. She is talented - yes - but intelligent? I doubt it Stu"

"You know your problem boss? You only see what you want to see" remarked Van Es sharply.

Kadiev smirked - raising an eyebrow towards Van Es, "I have no problems. You are becoming confident with me son. I don't like it. Be confident sure - but I don't want to see it okay!"

"Whatever keeps you happy"

The Russians fury was simmering by now, "She is nothing but a wh*re! You understand that right? A wh*re, she is nothing - worthless!"

The two parted ways and departed the training ground with Kadiev turning dramatically and shouting for all to hear, "Don't test me Van Es! Don't test me!"

June 2005 - Review

h Ural 0-1

a Orel 2-0

h Khimki 2-2

4th (of 22) in Pervyy divizion

Will Van Es test his boss?

Is Katja really just a wh*re or can it ever be more?

With their undefeated run long gone can Dinamo regain form and continue to push for promotion?

Nurses

After a quiet June Dinamo started July with two tough away matches and faired poorly with a 1-0 loss to Spartak Nalchik closely followed by a 2-1 defeat to 2nd placed Fakel. Things were back on track with Jankauskas penalties leading the side to well earned victories over Avangard Kursk and SKA Khabarovsk. However the form was only temporary as a disappointing loss to Metallurg-Kuzbass followed along with a lucky draw against an impressive Kuban side to end the month in pooor fashion.

The drop to 5th in the table was dissapointing however there were bigger things to worry about at Dinamo. Following the loss to Spartak Nalchik backup striker Golovko was chastised by Kadiev about his poor effort as a substitute in the days match. The public would learn just days later that Golovko's contract had been terminated immediately - terminated one day before Golovko's 25th birthday. This in itself was not big news. Golovko was an average player that offered little to Dinamo's game, however following injuries to right winger Gamleth Siukaev again and leading striker Eugeny Somchenko the timing of the dismissal was poor to say the least. The injury problems at Dinamo worsened when 19 year old standout centre back Kamalutdin Akhmedov was sidelined for up to a month with a groin strain just two days later.

By the time the club had made it's first signing of the July/August transfer window matters had become even worse with giant holding midfielder Alexey Petrov ruled out for at least a month with an ankle problem. Yaroslav Kharitonskiy was the signing in question - a talented central midfielder who had been lost in Prem'er-Liga side Shinnik's reserves of late. By the time Kharitonskiy debuted against Avangard Kursk three other signings were being touted by Dinamo chairman Osman Kadiev and his manager Stu Van Es. Fortunately for the club first choice right winger Burdziev finally returned from injury to play alongside new signings defender Anton Grigorjev and strikers Roman Rebrov and Dmitry Kudinov. In the final match of July the debutant Rebrov was unlucky not to score however he'll need to show even more now that regular striker Rasim Asildarov has torn his calf and will be sidelined for close to three months.

Injuries had become a curse for Dinamo and Van Es was concerned. His players had seen more of the fiesty nurses in Makhachkala Central Hospital than they had of eachother of late. It was showing too - results were still good - but the side was playing very inconsistently and it wasn't good enough. The thought of altering the training and recovery for the players was upmost in Van Es' mind, the problem was Kadiev. After seeing the money come in as it has been the chairman seems less than encouraging about hiring new trainers and physios. Time will tell. One more injury and even Kadiev may be tempted to open the purse strings a little more.

"We'll need more still" Van Es spoke out loud from his desk as he shuffled through scouting reports.

Stu Van Es sat down to assess his new signings and where they would fit in. Since the Katja argument things had been very frosty between Kadiev and Van Es, and in all honesty it was hard to see the situation changing any time soon. All Dinamo's new signings were technically free to keep Van Es' end of the bargain - some included future fees for former clubs - but nothing that devalued the original agreement. It was obvious that depth was needed and that's where the two strikers fitted in. Grigorjev on the other hand was a genuine starter and finally the club had a left sided defender on their books. The ever impressive Lithuanian Algis Jankauskas has played out of position all season to date and could finally shift over to right back where he is more comfortable. Jankauskas has been very effective so far and his 5 goals from the penalty spot have been crucial in elevating Dinamo to the position which they hold proudly in the top six.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">July Signings

Yaroslav Kharitonskiy (DM M RC - 20) The ex-Shinnik youngster is a genuine ball winner, his aggressive nature and versatility ensure that he will play a big part from day one given our current injury issues.

Anton Grigorjev (D LC - 19) Just at home at centre half as left back the solid young former CSKA Moscow trainee brings a wealth of talent to the back four. The inept Bovtalo and Tcherevko will revert to fringe positions following Anton's arrival.

Roman Rebrov (ST - 22) Older than our preferred recruits Roman offers an immediate replacement for our injured strikeforce. The talented strtiker joins from Pervyy divizion strugglers Petrotrest where he has done little to set the world alight in his 24 appearances this season scoring a work-man like 5 goals.

Dmitry Kudinov (ST - 19) Starring in the underage system with Torpedo Moscow Dmitry has struggled to make the transition to professional football. At present he adds little more than cover for further injuries, a real future talent though.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Get Serdyukov to my office now!" screamed Van Es down the line to Mariana.

15 minutes passed before Sergey Serdyukov sheepishly entered his managers office.

"I guess you know what this is about Sergey"

"I, it's, it's not what I said boss. You know the papers. I told them that I hoped that I would be coming under serious contention soon and that an improved contract would no doubt not be far off" responded Serdyukov.

"So you're not asking for a new contract. You aren't disappointed by the signing of two new strikers. Is that right Sergey?"

"Well no. I guess I'd hope that you'd look at me before the new boys to replace Somchenko or Asildarov - that's all"

"We signed the kids for depth, without our top two strikers of course we'd be looking to you to step up" reassured Van Es.

"Well, thanks boss"

"That's why it's such a shame you went to the press"

Serdyukov was visibly shaken, "What?"

"Don't worry Sergey you are of some value to us, we should get a decent sum for you still. After all you're only 23."

With that Van Es opened the door for Serdyukov to exit, "learn from this boy. Good luck wherever you end up" Van Es' sincerity was less than genuine.

Dinamo Makhachkala Review - July 2005

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

| [July Fixtures] ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| |

| A Spartak Nalchik 0-1 |

| A Fakel 1-2 Jankauskas(p) |

| H Avangard Kursk 2-0 Jankauskas(p), Asildarov |

| H SKA Khabarovsk 2-1 Jankauskas(p), Serdyukov |

| H Mettalurg-Kuzbass 1-2 Asidarov |

| H Kuban 1-1 Jankauskas(p) |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| [Pervvy divizion 31.07.05] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| |

| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Ural | | 27 | 20 | 6 | 1 | 51 | 17 | +34 | 66 |

| 2nd | | Fakel | | 27 | 16 | 5 | 6 | 41 | 25 | +16 | 53 |

| 3rd | | Khimki | | 27 | 14 | 6 | 7 | 58 | 33 | +25 | 48 |

| 4th | | Sokol Saratov | | 27 | 14 | 6 | 7 | 40 | 25 | +15 | 48 |

| 5th | | *Dinamo Makhachkala* | | 27 | 13 | 8 | 6 | 41 | 25 | +16 | 47 |

| 6th | | Kuban | | 27 | 13 | 8 | 6 | 44 | 29 | +15 | 47 |

| 7th | | Luch | | 27 | 12 | 10 | 5 | 49 | 33 | +16 | 46 |

| 8th | | Amur | | 27 | 13 | 4 | 10 | 46 | 38 | +8 | 43 |

| 9th | | Orel | | 27 | 12 | 7 | 8 | 40 | 33 | +7 | 43 |

| 10th | | Spartak Nalchik | | 27 | 13 | 2 | 12 | 36 | 43 | -7 | 41 |

| 11th | | Anzhi | | 27 | 11 | 7 | 9 | 41 | 34 | +7 | 40 |

| 12th | | SKA Khabarovsk | | 27 | 10 | 7 | 10 | 45 | 35 | +10 | 37 |

| 13th | | Chkalovets-1936 | | 27 | 8 | 11 | 8 | 25 | 22 | +3 | 35 |

| 14th | | Volgar | | 27 | 9 | 7 | 11 | 34 | 38 | -4 | 34 |

| 15th | | Metallurg Lipetsk | | 27 | 9 | 2 | 16 | 42 | 47 | -5 | 29 |

| 16th | | Metallurg-Kuzbass | | 27 | 7 | 8 | 12 | 26 | 33 | -7 | 29 |

| 17th | | Dinamo Bryansk | | 27 | 7 | 8 | 12 | 36 | 51 | -15 | 29 |

| 18th | | Lokomotiv Chita | | 27 | 7 | 7 | 13 | 36 | 62 | -26 | 28 |

| 19th | | Avangard Kursk | | 27 | 6 | 8 | 13 | 18 | 48 | -30 | 26 |

| 20th | | KamAZ | | 27 | 5 | 11 | 11 | 26 | 35 | -9 | 26 |

| 21st | | Petrotrest | | 27 | 3 | 5 | 19 | 22 | 56 | -34 | 14 |

| 22nd | | Spartak Tchelyabinsk | | 27 | 3 | 1 | 23 | 17 | 52 | -35 | 10 |

| Note: Top 2 clubs will be promoted to Prem'er-Liga, bottom 5 clubs will be relegated |

</pre>

Can the new signings cover the loss of Somchenko up front?

Has Dinamo and Van Es' bubble burst with the recent run of lost points and missed opportunities?

With the season getting on is the pressure and workload becoming too much for Dinamo's young tyros?

You want goals?

The injury induced striker shortage at Dinamo was emphasised away to cross town rivals Anzhi with Roman Rebrov playing just his second match for the club as a lone striker. Despite Rebrov hitting the net for the first time in Dinamo colours to equalise early in the second half it was Anzhi who took the three points with an 83rd minute winner. Immediately following the Anzhi defeat Van Es announced that they would be unveiling a further two strikers in the morning.

"How do you rate Zakazaka and Plyaskin? Are they going to fill the boots of Somchenko and Asildarov or will it be more of a patchup job?" came the first question from the football broadcaster of the local radio station.

"The boys are young 19 and 21 repectively so we don't expect the world from them - but, I hasten to add - they will have to step up immediately while our first choice strikers are stuck in the physios rooms" Van Es responded.

"We understand that Zakazaka is an international representative at 19. Where has he been playing?"

"Jimmy was granted a big career move when Brazilian giants Internacional signed him from his boyhood club in Malawi, curiously named Total Big Bullets. However his time in Brazil was not productive for the boy so that's where we stepped in"

Changing the focus of the interview, "The other boy Plyaskin, no-one seems to know much of him around here. Where is he from and what attracted your club to him?"

"Dmitry is a quick striker who has scored freely at lower levels of competition here in Russia but has not played in the professional leagues until now, we obviously hope he can continue his goal scoring form with us in the second half of the season"

"But can they replace experienced first choice strikers with goals on the board?"

"Can they do it? You'll have to come along on Saturday and find out" finished Van Es as he hung up the phone.

The crowd at Dinamo stadium were rapturous in their welcome of 19 year old Malawian international striker Jimmy Zakazaka who was introduced alongside fellow striker Dmitry Plyaskin and a third signing - left sided Georgian midfielder Beka Jgenti. Just a day prior to the match with bottom side Spartak Tchelyabinsk the clubs dwindling strike options had been replenished in one hit of bargain signings and manager Stu Van Es was pleased by the quality that they been able to snap up at such short notice.

Plyaskin wouldn't debut against Spartak Tchelyabinsk after carrying an existing injury to his new club, subsequently new signing Zakazaka was partnered by Rebrov for the match with the Pervyy divizion relegation favourites. It was a tight encounter but it was the two strikers in question that made the decisive move with Rebrov crossing for Zakazaka to emphatically head home on his debut for the club. The match would end 1-0 to Dinamo and it proved crucial as the club set off on an unbeaten run following this grafted victory.

A 1-0 win over Amur was to follow with Plyaskin replacing the unfit Zakazaka and scoring on his debut in Dinamo's second match of the week. Then it was Sokol Saratov - 4th vs 5th - however it wasn't long before Dinamo were looking comfortable with Plyaskin putting them 1-0 up and cruising. A late equaliser looked to spoil the party for the visitors. The side from Saratov hadn't counted on Rasim Khutov further emphasising his goal scoring reputation by getting onto Jgenti's flick on at the top of a crowded box before jinking past one defender and blasting the ball into the top corner with what was virtually the last kick of the match.

A Jankauskas penalty and a late Kharitonskiy strike saw off Luch and ensured that Dinamo's league run would go to four wins and surge the Makhachkala side to within 5 points of Fakel and the second promotion spot. To the delight of the travelling Dinamo fans Somchenko made a cameo off the bench along with Petrov, both returning from long injury layoffs. The month came to a close with another signing, another win and another injury. Attacking midfielder Ruslan Albarov signed for free to add depth in the middle of the park just prior to the cup fixture with Fakel. The match not surprisingly ended with another Dinamo victory - Khutov starring once more to help see them off 2-0. Unfortunately the match was tainted once more by injury as Zakazaka jagged a hamstring which would see him out for a couple of weeks. After the disappointment of July, Dinamo had turned things around and were just five points behind the second promotion spot and Fakel.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">August Signings

Jimmy Zakazaka (ST - 19) Powerful young striker from Malawi via Brazil. Jimmy will be hoping for a fresh start after failing to live up to the hype in South America. Already has a handful of caps for his country.

Dmitry Plyaskin (ST - 21) If Jimmy had the hype this boy is the exact opposite. Toiling away with Lokomotiv Chita as a trainee he joins Dinamo bringing pace - and bags of it - to our attack.

Beka Jgenti (AM LC - 19) A talented young winger, Jgenti is on the fringe of the Georgian national side. He joins for future payments only from Torpedo Moscow.

Ruslan Albarov (AM C - 22) Brought in to cover Khutov in the midfield, Albarov joins from Alania and has talent and composure that should hold him well at this level.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amidst all this a disgruntled Serdyukov finally left to Gaz-Gaz for a reasonable fee after the player had a very public bust-up with Van Es just 2 weeks ago. The player exits to date at Dinamo had been more than adequately covered by the talent shown by the new (and free) signings. The likes of Serdyukov were not required by Van Es and he'd made it blatantly obvious that no individual would be greater than the team.

Dinamo Makhachkala Review - August 2005

| [August Fixtures] -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| |

| A Anzhi 1-2 Rebrov |

| H Spartak Tchelyabinsk 1-0 Zakazaka |

| A Amur 1-0 Plyaskin |

| H Sokol Saratov 2-1 Plyaskin, Khutov |

| A Luch 2-0 Jankauskas(p), Kharitonskiy |

| A Fakel (5th Rd Cup) 2-0 Plyaskin, Rebrov |

| [Pervvy divizion 30.08.05] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| |

| 1st | | Ural | | 32 | 23 | 8 | 1 | 59 | 20 | +39 | 77 |

| 2nd | | Fakel | | 32 | 19 | 7 | 6 | 53 | 30 | +23 | 64 |

| 3rd | |*Dinamo Makhachkala* | | 32 | 17 | 8 | 7 | 48 | 28 | +20 | 59 |

| 4th | | Kuban | | 32 | 16 | 9 | 7 | 52 | 36 | +16 | 57 |

| 5th | | Khimki | | 32 | 15 | 10 | 7 | 62 | 36 | +26 | 55 |

| 6th | | Sokol Saratov | | 32 | 15 | 8 | 9 | 43 | 28 | +15 | 53 |

</pre>

Who can stop Dinamo's surge up the table?

With four foreigners and only three match day positions who will miss out of Bete, Jgenti, Zakazaka and Jankauskas?

Does anyone really care?

• 5 weeks later...

The Run

With Zakazaka out injured Dinamo's 'four foreigners into three positions' puzzle hadn't been tested to date. Just quietly Van Es had heard a strong whisper that Apula Bete was set to be granted non-foreigner status once he gains his tenth cap for Armenia which could come up against Holland on the third of September. Nestled in the cosy lounge room of his apartment on the night of the third with Katja dozing off on his lap Van Es switched over to Eurosport and his mood instantly improved with a broad grin lengthening on his face. Sure Armenia had lost 3-0 to the might of Holland but when highlights cut to a closeup of the despondant Bete after Van Nistelroy glanced in the third Van Es knew his cards had just improved for the remainder of the season. The email would come through in the morning. Fingers crossed.

In true Eastern fashion the notification in question came through right on time. 9am the morning following Bete's performance against the Dutch an email promptly arrived in Van Es' inbox.

"You f*cking beauty!"

Mariana - the Dinamo club secretary - popped her head into Van Es' office, "Everything fine here Mr Van Es?"

"Sure Mariana. Believe me everything is better than fine. I can finally field the strongest eleven footballers this club has ever seen in one side"

"So the Bete clearance came through okay then?" Mariana smiled nervously.

"Like a treat" Stu glanced away before fixing his eyes back on his secretary (he'd never really noticed just how stunning she was) and adding, "Mariana please call me Stu. I'm sick of all this 'Mr Van Es' rubbish, either you call me Stu or I start calling you 'Ms...' I don't even know your other name?"

"Kadiev"

"Sorry?"

"Mariana Kadiev"

"You mean..."

"No! Actually I'm Mr Kadiev's niece"

"Err, I'll call you Mariana still"

"And I'll call you Stu from now on Mr Van Es"

"Stu!"

"Yes. Stu" ended Mariana as she exited the office. But not before she flashed a nervously cheeky grin back at the Manager.

It had come to that point of the football season where with just ten rounds to go every result was significant and the eyes at Dinamo were on much more than just the happenings around Makhachkala. Plyaskin's class was coming to the fore as he helped put Lokomotiv Chita to the sword with a brace of strikes, up in Fakel the home side went down to a struggling Luch side 3-1 and all of a sudden Dinamo were just two points away from the automatic promotion spot. Dinamo's run of victories continued with a comfortable 4-0 victory over Dinamo Bryansk but the big news was up in Saratov where the home side Sokol edged Fakel 1-0 sending Dinamo into second place for the first time since early March.

With eight matches remaining the small side from Makhachkala were now one point clear of Fakel in third but still a distant 18 points behind runaway league leaders Ural. Metallurg Lipetsk were next to visit Dinamo Stadium and a first half Somchenko snap shot was enough to seal a seventh straight league win 1-0! Fakel managed to keep touch with a much needed victory however Ural lost just their second match for the entire season but remain a comfortable 15 points clear in first. The gap to first place once more narrowed with Ural held to a draw whilst Dinamo saw off struggling Petrotrest with a stunning Plyaskin hattrick. Fakel once more kept up the pressure on Dinamo with another win maintaining the slenderest of one point margins between third place and promotion to the Prem'er-Liga.

It was not an uncommon sight on any given morning to see Katja leaving Van Es' partment, but this had not been an appointment scheduled by Kadiev. As the visits had become more frequent Stu knew what he had feared and knew that it was not of the chairmans doing. Katja was falling for him. Maybe she saw him as a path away from Kadiev and Makhachkala. Maybe it was geniune? I doubt it - nobody leaves the side of the Mafioso by choice alone.

As their relationship had built and Van Es' dialect improved Katja began to leak more and more about Kadiev and his past. It was more than Van Es had ever wanted to know but he knew that it was something he needed to hear. Things had changed - how could he respect his boss after these revelations.

Dinamo Makhachkala Review - September 2005

| [september Fixtures] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| |

| A Lokomotiv Chita 4-0 Somchenko, Plyaskin(2), Rebrov |

| H Dinamo Bryansk 4-0 Somchenko, Plyaskin, Rebrov, Nikolaev |

| H Metallurg Lipetsk 1-0 Somchenko |

| A Petrotrest 3-0 Plyaskin(3) |

| [Pervvy divizion 30.09.05] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| |

| 1st | | Ural | | 36 | 25 | 9 | 2 | 70 | 25 | +45 | 84 |

| 2nd | |*Dinamo Makhachkala* | | 36 | 21 | 8 | 7 | 60 | 28 | +32 | 71 |

| 3rd | | Fakel | | 36 | 21 | 7 | 8 | 60 | 36 | +24 | 70 |

| 4th | | Kuban | | 36 | 19 | 9 | 8 | 59 | 37 | +22 | 66 |

| 5th | | Khimki | | 36 | 18 | 11 | 7 | 71 | 39 | +32 | 65 |

| 6th | | Luch | | 36 | 17 | 12 | 7 | 67 | 41 | +26 | 63 |

</pre>

I repeat. Who can stop Dinamo's surge up the table?

Kadiev, Katja, Mariana and Stu - you want a soap-opera?

Will Stu ever tell Katja how he feels about her relations with Kadiev?

• 5 weeks later...

Clutch

"This was how it was to be"

Van Es looked around at the playing group - he couldn't tell if he'd said that out loud or not - either no-one was listening or even those that understood english simply chose to ignore his mumblings this time.

"It's 'clutch time'! This is where you stand up and be counted! This is where we'll separate the men from the boys, and boys... I know that you are man enough to do this. So lets ****ing do it! Look at the guy next to you. Look him in the eyes, do you believe he's good enough to take this side to the top league? If not then tell him now." the players followed their orders to the letter.

There was silence as one by one they looked deep into eachother before returning their gaze to their manager.

"I believe in you boys and so do you! With that much belief we are unbeatable. Take it and run boys, take it and run with it" Van Es looked on proudly, eyeing off every one of his players before walking proudly off the training track side-by-side with his boys.

Six league matches remained and Dinamo's destiny was in their own hands. Keep winning and promotion will be certain. It's as simple as that. When you're on the back of eight straight league wins (nine in all competitions) it's easy to think that six more and the goal will have been achieved. Not the original goal of course - that was mere survival - and with Kadiev over Van Es' shoulder the club never looked like failing in that regard. But the goal-posts had been moved. What was once about survival and competitiveness was now about the chance to make history. The chance to take Dinamo Makhachkala to the Prem'er-Liga. The chance to play the big-boys in Moskow. All along Van Es had followed Kadiev's eyes as the club surged up the table, regrettably - to Van Es - his boss only ever had eyes for the Rubles!

With the climax building towards the final matches of the Pervvy divizion season the city of Makhachkala was well and truly behind Dinamo on the back of their eight match winning run in the league. A home match against midtable KamAZ on the first day of the month soon became a nightmare for the locals. It ended a frustrating 0-0 draw and given Fakel's 90th minute winner against Metallurg Lipetsk Dinamo found themselves one point behind the Fakel side. The result was bad enough without the suspension of Khumov and a devestating Bete injury, leaving the international keeper on the sideline for up to a month with a hamstring. With just five league matches remaining this meant that Dinamo's number one keeper could be out for up to four of these. The Dinamo backroom staff were visibly devastated by the consequences of the injury setback.

With a two week break due to international fixtures Dinamo were further weakened by the loss of the left-back Grigorjev who has been called up for Russia at under 19 level. Great timing for the promotion contenders. Along with the loss of Bete and Khutov the side is sorely understrength for the upcoming trip out to the borders of Siberia in Novosibirsk to challenge Chkalovets. Backup keeper Victor Chakrygin knew that this was his time to stand tall, and at six-foot-four he had the tall but could he stand?

The first half in Novisibirsk went terribly for the travelling side Chkalovets-1936 were 2-0 up on 35 minutes due to a couple of stunning strikes. There was to be no happy ending as Dinamo's undefeated run came to a halt in dramatic fashion despite pulling a goal back through Burdiev's cross which was defected in for an own goal with 20 minutes to go. Just as Van Es threw more men forward big Akhmedov was sent of for a cynical foul with 18 minutes remaining, further self-destruction followed with two further goals to Chkalovets before the final whistle blew putting the despondant Dinamo players out of their misery. The news on the radio was more positive than the performance on the pitch had been. Fortunately Fakel were held 1-1 by already relegated Petrotrest and the Makhachkala side would stay just two points them in the race for the second promotion spot. In other league news, with their latest victory and the mini slumps of Dinamo and Fakel, Ural have claimed the Pervyy divizion title and promotion to the Prem'er-Liga next season.

Just days after Dinamo returned from Novisibirsk they were forced to front up to Prem'er-Liga side Shinnik in the first leg of their sixth round tie in the Kubok Rossi. It ended in a home draw with Burdziev scoring an excellent freekick only for Shinnik's Khazov to equalise leaving the tie wide open going in to the second leg. In all fairness I'm sure the Dinamo players were already thinking about the league match with Volgar on Saturday.

The promotion race was really hotting up now. Dinamo Makhachkala would host Volgar whilst Fakel travelled to KamAZ knowing that if they could keep winning then Dinamo would find promotion out of reach. The dramatic day was played out hard and fast. On just one minute Fakel were one down to KamAZ and then with five minutes played Somchenko had put Dinamo up 1-0. Amazingly on 14 minutes Fakel were 2-0 down, then just minutes later Volgar levelled things 1-1 in Makhachkala. By the first minute of the second half Fakel had drawn level thanks to goals either side of half-time and Dinamo found themselves tied up at 1-1. Then things shifted again. On 52 minutes Somchenko scored his second of two in four minutes to complete a stunning hattrick and more importantly he put Dinamo 3-1 up. Just minutes later KamAZ scored again to go ahead against Fakel 3-2. 40 minutes passed and both scorelines stayed as they were. An incredible couple of matches had been played out at either end of the country, but the upshot was that with three matches to play Dinamo were again one point clear of Fakel in the race for promotion.

"Three more wins will ensure promotion!" it was Khutov announcing to the gathered media that the club had their destiny back in their own hands and intended on not letting it slip.

Van Es stepped back from the press conference as a slender figure slipped through to the back of the crowd. Grabbing her arm he turned Katja's face to his, "So are you going to tell him?"

"What? Stu, what are you doing? Not now okay, no not now"

Refusing defeat Van Es continued, "You said you would stop everything with HIM! I need you to tell him now"

"What about your career? What if he sacks you tonight?" Katja looked genuinely concerned.

"What with all this" Van Es waved his arms towards the gathered throngs of press and fans, "I'm practically bigger than he is around here tonight! He wouldn't dare"

"If you're sure Stu... if you're sure I'll do it right now"

"Thankyou. Truly thankyou this will be a great weight off my mind" Van Es' was relieved, his grip of Katja's arm was released.

Van Es and Katja parted and for what was to be the final time Katja entered Kadiev's office. She knew not how the man that had taken her off the streets all those years ago and given her everything that she had to her name to this day would deal with the situation. But it finally had to be done. Surprisingly Kadiev took it quite well - that is - for a man that rarely took anything well.

"Go then" he was blunt but caring.

"It's not that I'm not thankful for what you've done for me it's just that..."

Kadiev stopped her, "Just go Katja!" this time he was less blunt but equally caring.

"Yes Osman" Katja turned towards the door before glancing back at her former master, "...and thankyou"

Already promoted but out to impress the jubilant home support in their final home match Ural came out firing against promotion contenders Dinamo and on just eight minutes the leagues leading goalscorer Zubko had put the champions 1-0 up after an unfortunate Jankauskas' mistake. Bete was back in goals for Dinamo and whilst obviously less than comfortable his presence was crucial in keeping Dinamo just one goal down at the half, this despite the celebratory roars of approval of the Ural fans as their side attacked on mass wave after wave on the Dinamo goal. Meanwhile in Voronezh, the home side Fakel were losing 2-0 to Chkalovets and it sounded like their season was capitualting before the despondant eyes of the Fakel supporters. Dinamo managed to wrestle control of their match early in the second half against Ural and with 30 minutes remaining Somchenko turned his man to score a vital equaliser. Fakel were still down 2-0 and on that note Van Es went for the win sending on Zakazaka and Rebrov up front. Ural it appeared had lost their spark and drive from the first half, then again they were already the champions. The match was settled (in Dinamo's favour) on 79 minutes when Rebrov crossed for Zakazaka and the Malawian striker made no mistake from close range. A few desperate minutes remained but Dinamo held on for a precious victory against Pervyy divizion champions Ural. Just minutes later the Dinamo players and staff were even more jubilant with the announcement that defeat for Fakel had pushed Dinamo four points clear in 2nd place with just two matches remaining!

Following the inspirational victory against Ural the news that Rasim Khutov - one of the clubs real on field leaders - had picked up a bad leg injury and his season is over prematurely. Van Es gathered the boys in beside Rasim in his hospital bed and ensured that their belief was still there, enforcing the fact that Dinamo would gain promotion despite this setback.

"If any-one of you in this room deserves to match it with the stars of the Prem'er-Liga it is Rasim, don't let him down boys. He deserves better than to sit on the sidelines so do it for him now alright" Van Es finished reeling back as a couple of tears blurred his vision. These boys are amazing he thought.

Dinamo Makhachkala Review - October 2005

| [October Fixtures] ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| |

| H KamAZ 0-0 |

| A Chkalovets-1936 1-4 Neretin (og) |

| H Shinnik (6th Rd Cup 1st Leg) 1-1 Burdziev |

| H Volgar 3-1 Somchenko 3 |

| A Ural 2-1 Somchenko, Zakazaka |

| [Pervvy divizion 31.10.05] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| |

| 1st | C | Ural | | 40 | 26 | 11 | 3 | 75 | 30 | +45 | 89 |

| 2nd | |*Dinamo Makhachkala* | | 40 | 23 | 9 | 8 | 66 | 34 | +32 | 78 |

| 3rd | | Fakel | | 40 | 22 | 8 | 10 | 65 | 43 | +22 | 74 |

| 4th | | Khimki | | 40 | 20 | 13 | 7 | 79 | 44 | +35 | 73 |

| 5th | | Kuban | | 40 | 21 | 9 | 10 | 67 | 42 | +25 | 72 |

| 6th | | Luch | | 40 | 20 | 12 | 8 | 80 | 45 | +35 | 72 |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| </pre>

Only disaster could foil Dinamo's promotion charge, surely not?

Now without the inspired Khutov can the young boys keep their heads for two more matches?

How will Kadiev deal without Katja now?

Archived