• EFL Cup Final moved to midweek due to clash with FA Cup Fifth Round tie

CFuller
    • Public Status: Under Review Files Uploaded: None

(Firstly, a bit of context: I've added several England internationals plus a few other world-class players to the Dag & Red squad, as I'm running some tests for an experiment. An experiment that involves trying to break the fixture calendar, as it so happens. :D)

Man City are scheduled to play Dag & Red in the 2024 EFL Cup Final on Sunday 3 March. Both teams are also into Round 4 of the FA Cup.

Original.png.92885525e923fb00ff9c8cf905df3f37.png

If Man City and/or Dag & Red win their Round 4 ties, their Round 5 matches will be played on the weekend of 2/3 March... and that means the EFL Cup Final gets pushed back to Wednesday 6 March at 8pm.

Moved.png.fb1eb7e2fdfaf9d97e8ef9e3629f6a0e.png

Surely the Cup Final should take priority here, and the FA Cup Round 5 ties involving City and/or Dag & Red should be pushed to a later date instead?

I've uploaded three save files for you to look at. CFuller_FACupTest1 is before the second leg of Dag & Red's EFL Cup Semi Final against Crystal Palace (they're 2-0 up from the first leg). CFuller_FACupTest2 is before Dag & Red's FA Cup Round 3 replay, also against Crystal Palace. And CFuller_FACupTest3 is immediately before the FA Cup Round 4 ties, in which Man City will play Tottenham, and Dag & Red will play Sheff Utd.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

IMO, in Fixture Clashes, later rounds of any cup regardless of their comparative reputation or assigned priority should take priority over the other (with the only exception probably being those with Friendly Priority), in an effort to end competitions as soon as possible to their intended schedule. I don't know the inner workings of FM, but it might be prudent to change how the game looks at clashes, where it not only weights the fixture priority, but how far along a competition is, so for example: Imagine there's a match listed as Domestic Cup Low, and another match listed as Domestic Cup High, but the Domestic Cup Low priority match is the Semi Final of a competition, but the Domestic Cup High priority match is the Second Round, FM should see the collision, prioritize sticking as closely as possible to the intended schedule of a Cup Competition, and move the Domestic Cup High match instead. In the above issue with the FA Cup Fifth Round and the Carabao Cup Final, the Fixture Priority of the Fifth Round and Final are both Domestic Cup High, so I'm assuming that there's a secondary, behind the scenes check that compares the competition reputation of the two competitions in Priority Clashes and the Carabao Cup Final gets rescheduled due to that.