• Keyboard on steam deck

QuassoRP
    • Public Status: Under Review Files Uploaded: None

Hope this is the right section. 

When bringing up the keyboard on steam deck it is unhighlighting the area I want to type in so I can't search players or clubs etc and was almost impossible to add my name when creating a manager

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

• SI Staff

Hey @QuassoRP based on the clip you've upload would you be able to delete the text already in the field and then try again. With Steam Deck being new we are obviously looking into issues like this and trying to get a full understanding of issues that might arise. 

Still no luck. I've tried removing the hotkey to bring the keyboard up and it's still doing the same. 

When I was creating my manager it was jumping from "first name" to "surname" when I brought the keyboard up, wonder if it's doing the same thing in game but seems there's no other field to move to it's just unhighlighting the area instead?

Press the 3 dot menu on the right side of the Steam Deck and choose the keyboard from there (bottom option).

Edited by hm86

• SI Staff

@QuassoRP is the suggestion from hm86 of any benefit in this instance? Our QA team are looking to get their hands on the steam deck and try this out but that's more likely to take place after the weekend now. If this suggestion does work from hm86 then that would be great to hear.

13 hours ago, Michael Sant said:

@QuassoRP is the suggestion from hm86 of any benefit in this instance? Our QA team are looking to get their hands on the steam deck and try this out but that's more likely to take place after the weekend now. If this suggestion does work from hm86 then that would be great to hear.

Only just managed to try. Can confirm that this method works 

Would like to add to this conversation by saying I've played a lot of FM22 on the Steam Deck and also being playing the FM23 Beta on Steam Deck and having issues with the games working with the Steam Deck's built in on-screen keyboard. As soon as the keyboard is enabled by pressing the Steam Button+X on the device, in game it seems to effectively tab or move away from the text box and not allow you to edit or enter any information. This is noticeable on the manager profile creation screen when setting up a save where the game will not let you enter a name, and then when you actually manage to get into game you can't use the search box and type in any values to search for. In FM22 this also was a problem with the In-Game Editor as you could not select any text input fields once you had opened the editor and could not change, delete or enter any information. I'd really be hoping this could be resolved very quickly for either the full release of FM23 or in one of the patches shortly after. The Steam Deck is a great device for being able to play this game on as it's higher spec then many laptops and it's also got a much better form factor for playing on the move and on the go, however the inability to use the keyboard with the game's interface is a bit of a drawback and pain. Not everyone who buys or has bought a steam deck, also has a dock attached to it into which they have a normal PC keyboard and mouse attached, which presently seems to be the only way to get the keyboard and data entry to work with the game on the device.