• Lack of formations in Preferred Formations for Coaching Staff

BenW.
    • Public Status: Info Provided Files Uploaded: None

Not sure if it's just my screen but there seems to be a real lack of formations for managers judging on previous years? Only 12 to select...

Screenshot 2022-11-08 at 01.12.00.png

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

On 02/12/2022 at 18:01, abcdf said:

I know, it seems weird to me too. Seems like a pretty simple bug to fix. Let's wait from someone from SI to answer this thread

So, it is by design; as I was thinking. Hmm

22 ore fa, Jack Joyce ha scritto:

To clarify - attacking formations in the data were never used for these situations specifically.

An attacking formation is the formation a manager uses as a starting formation against teams that are perceived to be weaker than them. Part of the reason for us changing the formation list, is to avoid this kind of confusion since we don't want managers using unbalanced formations from the start of a match.

Managers changing to extreme unbalanced shapes to chase/defend a match very late in the match is something we do want to do in the future though, although currently they do switch to very aggressive roles/duties when a match gets to that point.

Well I have actually seen it happen quite a lot that AI managers do not resort to their attacking formation from the start (especially when they play against a stronger side or have not high “attacking” tactical attribute) and switch to it in the case they need to chase a match in its last portion. 
    Maybe an idea could be to differentiate between the “attacking” formation  managers can use from the start of the game and an “extremely attacking” formation they resort to in extreme situations, that could actually include different and less balanced formations from the “starting” ones

On 15/12/2022 at 10:07, Zachary Whyte said:

Hello, after a discussion with the developers. The AI managers having less formations available for selection was a intentional decision.

But having less formations doesn't necessarily mean less tactical diversity though, as we've greatly improved the way AI managers choose their roles and team instructions.

We apologise for the confusion. In the link below, you can find a detailed comment talking about this decision, thank you.

https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/568484-official-football-manager-2023-early-access-beta-feedback-thread/page/26/#comment-13772691

This was a "known issue we're currently working on" since at least November 8th and it has taken over a month for "oh yeah, we did that on purpose."

I'm not bothered by the 4231 change (I AM bothered by it not being explained), I AM bothered by all the other formations that have disappeared - for example 433 2DMs, 541 diamond WBs, and so many others. 

The game has been crying out for MORE formations (Bielsa 3331 for example)

So to clarify, this is NOT an issue that is being looked into, this IS FM23 and it's going to stay that way?

If so that is DEEPLY DISAPPOINTING.  And in my view a very bad regression for the game.  

Compounidng this is the lack of communication.  I do not blame those of you working here in the (@Zackary Whyte) I am however extremely frustrated, bordering on infuriated at the lack of interdepartment communication in SI.  How can a "bug" be known and being investigate for over a month, minimum and not known that isn't a bug it's a feature. 

Note I initially FEARED that that was exactly what the issue was, that it was an intentional change. 

On 08/11/2022 at 16:39, DominicForza said:

That's GOOD news.  I feared for some reason SI had decided to pare down the preset formations.  

Thanks for responding.  I hope SI does what it can to let people know.   

I feared this was the case, and also hopes SI would inform players.  

I'm a FANBOY and I'm not at all happy with this.  

I suspect that this will not be changed in February post transfer window/final patch.  I would appreciate confirmation or this is my fears are accurate.

I have been holding off starting an actual game for 2 reasons - this and that I can't increase text past 100% resolution, which causes eye strain (I was able to prior to 23.2).  I guess I wont hold off due to the formation "feature not a bug" but I still CANT play at currently 100% text (and in cant, not dont want to, cant).

Again, I am not blaming folks in the bugtracker threads.  But...c'mon SI! 

2 ore fa, DominicForza ha scritto:

This was a "known issue we're currently working on" since at least November 8th and it has taken over a month for "oh yeah, we did that on purpose."

I'm not bothered by the 4231 change (I AM bothered by it not being explained), I AM bothered by all the other formations that have disappeared - for example 433 2DMs, 541 diamond WBs, and so many others. 

The game has been crying out for MORE formations (Bielsa 3331 for example)

So to clarify, this is NOT an issue that is being looked into, this IS FM23 and it's going to stay that way?

If so that is DEEPLY DISAPPOINTING.  And in my view a very bad regression for the game.  

Compounidng this is the lack of communication.  I do not blame those of you working here in the (@Zackary Whyte) I am however extremely frustrated, bordering on infuriated at the lack of interdepartment communication in SI.  How can a "bug" be known and being investigate for over a month, minimum and not known that isn't a bug it's a feature. 

Note I initially FEARED that that was exactly what the issue was, that it was an intentional change. 

I feared this was the case, and also hopes SI would inform players.  

I'm a FANBOY and I'm not at all happy with this.  

I suspect that this will not be changed in February post transfer window/final patch.  I would appreciate confirmation or this is my fears are accurate.

I have been holding off starting an actual game for 2 reasons - this and that I can't increase text past 100% resolution, which causes eye strain (I was able to prior to 23.2).  I guess I wont hold off due to the formation "feature not a bug" but I still CANT play at currently 100% text (and in cant, not dont want to, cant).

Again, I am not blaming folks in the bugtracker threads.  But...c'mon SI! 

I agree, there were many formations that were perfectly in line with this new DM-CM paradigm that were still removed apparently for no reason, 433 2 dms and 5-4-1 diamond being a perfect example.

14 minutes ago, abcdf said:

I agree, there were many formations that were perfectly in line with this new DM-CM paradigm that were still removed apparently for no reason, 433 2 dms and 5-4-1 diamond being a perfect example.

My longtime favorite defensive formation 41311

343 and variations gone.  Just madness.  

What an awful decision. Teams now constantly play the wrong formations in game. Eriksen is not a CDM. 4231 Completely now void and causes issues with players being listed for transfers as they don't fit the system. A massive backwards step and made me consider whether to continue playing this game. Played since FM09 but this is just a back step and makes no logical sense.