• Column Widths in Tables - Again, and for the 15th year running

DiggingForOstrich
    • Public Status: Under Review Files Uploaded: None

I was initially pleased with some apparent improvements in column behaviour, that some columns don't overflow the right hand side of the window, but today the old enemy has raised its head again. Why is this so hard to fix? It's been a problem in every single version since forever, having a table fill a defined width is not an old problem.

Screenshot attached of the substitution/tactics view during a game. I've added some columns (added one column to the right of Average Rating, and some others in the middle of the table) and now I have a bright blue separator on the right where it shouldn't be, and a column entirely invisible because it has overflowed the window (check the horizontal scrollbar on the bottom of the screenshot).

I tried manually setting each column width, when you get to the last column the problem still appears.

I tried auto-setting every column width individually, same issue.

I tried auto-setting all column widths with the menu to do them all at once, same issue.

What's even more increidble is that if you mousedown on the horizontal scrollbar, the columns widths all change to the proper width, the overflowed column returns to the screen and it's like God intended. However, when you mouseup, back to the problem again.

This gets raised every year, and you say "we know about it". Then fix it. Show us you actually give a damn about this problem, or just say you don't care about it and never intend to fix it. It's become a bloody joke. At this point, I'm convinced none of the developers have every tried to add a column.

fm2023scroll1.png

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Here is a post from FM 2022 about this: 

FM 2021: 

FM 2020: 

FM 2019: 

FM 2018:

FM 2015:

I could go on

Edited by DiggingForOstrich

Bumping this one because I want a comment from SI...totally unprofessional/unacceptable to "Know about it" for so many years and just ignore it.

All I'm looking for is a column system like Microsoft Excel. They just need to offer an option to stop tables autosizing to fill the width of the page or whatever other function is resizing columns automatically. Just turn it off entirely. Let me define all widths.

Still waiting on SI acknowledgement...

This bug sums up the culture at SI doesn't it?

This should have been fixed a decade ago.

They need a revamp from top to bottom. Breath some life into this great game - it still is a great game, but is getting neglected by either poor or neglectful management.

• SI Staff

We have had, as obviously mentioned within this thread, a number of issues raised about the columns. Unfortunately we just keep running into issues where they're going awry. We realise its frustrating to see this persist and re-emerge across the series. 

Hi MIchael, I can imagine it is incredibly frustrating.

I won't tell you how to do your job, but maybe a small piece of advice. Turn off autosizing columns (or allow a setting to turn it off). Allow me to set every column width and keep them fixed at that width. No sizing is required by the engine.

I really hope you can get this fixed, it's been a plague on the UI for too long. I would like to imagine this is relatively high priority within your UI bug-hunt, but if we can offer any thoughts on potential fixes, I know there are a few of us passionate about this problem!

Cheers, good luck!

• SI Staff

We're never really in a position to post in advance when we expect an issue to be resolved. While an issue like this has less scope for knock on effects in some regards than fixes to the match engine, its an area which has proven to be problematic in the past to get working as we want and it is something we're continuing to work on. 

Honestly the fix is really simple.

Give me a setting in Preferences, or on the squad screen, which turns off all auto-sizing. Let me manage my own column widths, no need for the game to calculate anything. I'm perfectly happy to take the time to set those widths up once if they will work for the future.

That is a quick fix, and then you can work on the auto sizing issue in the background without making us, the people who pay to play the game, put up with this for the 15th year running.

I have recently purchased FM24 after skipping 23 (and having a good save going on 22). Amazing to see that this is still an issue. Pretty sure the developers are just ignoring the issue...