• The AI doesn't rotate their squads

SonOfFate254
    • Public Status: Known Issue Files Uploaded: None

The AI doesn't rotate and that leads to me facing teams where the players have low condition at the start of games. Just one example from the attached images shows Everton, who don't have that much fixture congestion, playing a starting XI with sub-optimal fitness despite having several players on the bench on full fitness. FootballManager202424_10_202319_19_06.png.2e8e75cadb16db4742266d6e56488c66.pngFootballManager202424_10_202319_18_34.png.7b4ddde0039071887205479fac0458de.pngFootballManager202424_10_202319_18_28.png.70ea2f43a480712886693168353431b6.png

The big teams also don't rotate in "easy" cup games against lower league opposition, as shown below:

Liverpool against League 2 Salford in the Carabao cup (full strength first XI minus Salah, Alisson and Mac Allister

FootballManager202424_10_202320_03_21.png.16333e32538ecf3889264a76724d0b10.png

Spurs against bottom half of the Championship Ipswich in the FA Cup - Full strength starting XI minus Son, Bissouma (who was away on International duty at the AfCON) and Kulusvski (who was injured)

FootballManager202424_10_202320_00_52.png.0379532bea6ad453d13921eaec003525.png

The most egregious examples are Jeremy Doku and Youssufa Moukoko who, despite being high-potential youngsters that are already good enough to be starting regularly, barely feature. It's late January and neither of them have started a single match for their clubs:

FootballManager202424_10_202320_11_29.png.932fa6002be8b1ac1d4a406fdd0befa4.pngFootballManager202424_10_202320_06_02.png.84d89ceed090eb1677f92a907170e33b.png

Kindly fix this as it was one of your headline features - the AI being "smarter" in signing squad players and giving youngsters minutes to develop. I am coming from FM21 and this issue wasn't this widespread. I don't wish to regret my decision

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Probably one of the bigger issues regarding AI managers at the moment. Most of the development/squad building issues cascade from this issue

3 hours ago, abcdf said:

Probably one of the bigger issues regarding AI managers at the moment. Most of the development/squad building issues cascade from this issue

This probably even goes up to the playing time agreements. The AI manager probably ranks the player based on the agreed playing time. So an Important/Start player expects to play in all matches no matter what – so the AI automatically picks the player.

This would then escalate in a review of how a player ranks his used time. Having a player that is not 100% match fit skipping easier league matches so that he is 100% for a Champions League match isn't something that an Important/Star player would understand in game. When they moan about playing time, there isn't an option "You are my striker! In a CL final I start you" kind of message.

In an easy Man City save, I managed to have Halland moan about the play time (this was on FM22) just because I was not playing him in easy matches so that I could play other players for evolution.

Unfortunately, I think this is where it gets harder to code around. You would need some sort of priorities ranking linked to the manager vision/club vision where a manager might be more inclined to not pick the best player in favour of a new talent player. This would also need to be linked to the opposition and the importance of the match ahead (you would not want to start Halland in the CL final just because some lesser team managed to get to the final). Also, you wouldn't want to rotate all the team - only one or two players at time.

The more use cases you come up, the worst it gets. And because you want this dynamic, you wouldn't expect the manager to make the same decision every time.

Sorry for the big reply :D

32 minutes ago, bastoshaq said:

This probably even goes up to the playing time agreements. The AI manager probably ranks the player based on the agreed playing time. So an Important/Start player expects to play in all matches no matter what – so the AI automatically picks the player.

It doesn't even make this much sense lol. The AI doesn't pay attention to squad status/agreed playing time. I've linked to my own thread about AI managers not being able to rotate, constantly looking to retrain positions, and not buying appropriately for positions (and in relation to their tactical preferences either) and some other issues. Hopefully combining these threads can help create an overall picture of what looks like a big problem. 6 seasons into my simmed save, and Real Madrid are playing Alaba as their constant first choice central defender ahead of Josip Sutalo. Alaba is listed as a Fringe Player at 37 years old and has very poor physicals (but a high average of 7.89 match rating in like 11 games, so idk what's going on there). Sutalo hasn't made it to the starting eleven in 9 matches despite being listed as a Regular Starter. Their squad is completely barebones. It's the same with many other clubs, but this is the one I was paying most attention to, to see how the elite teams maintain things as time goes on.

1 hour ago, tezcatlipoca665 said:

It doesn't even make this much sense lol. The AI doesn't pay attention to squad status/agreed playing time. I've linked to my own thread about AI managers not being able to rotate, constantly looking to retrain positions, and not buying appropriately for positions (and in relation to their tactical preferences either) and some other issues. Hopefully combining these threads can help create an overall picture of what looks like a big problem. 6 seasons into my simmed save, and Real Madrid are playing Alaba as their constant first choice central defender ahead of Josip Sutalo. Alaba is listed as a Fringe Player at 37 years old and has very poor physicals (but a high average of 7.89 match rating in like 11 games, so idk what's going on there). Sutalo hasn't made it to the starting eleven in 9 matches despite being listed as a Regular Starter. Their squad is completely barebones. It's the same with many other clubs, but this is the one I was paying most attention to, to see how the elite teams maintain things as time goes on.

Maybe the playing time does not affect as you mention in your example with Alaba - it was just an assumption.

Whatever priorities the AI Managers have, they might not take future into consideration. Yes eventually they need to buy players because they sell players, or those players retire. But who knows.

its the same with the u21 and u18 teams my youth managers as posted somewhere my youth managers are not rotating squads and rarely ever using any subs unless forced to like an injury or if players are made available from team above for less than 90mins. its not only affecting results ie i managed to finish 4th in season 1 with sheffield united and got some massive wins in some games i shouldnt have because of it.

its harming the development of players wheter its ai teams or my u21/u18 teams controlled by an ai manager rarely ever using rotated or using subs. even if i manually select the u21 or u18 squads, make players unavailable to rest them etc they just use players they shouldnt like u21s using the exhausted u18s. u18s using none existing players. when i have more than enough players for them in each squad now to literally do a 100% squad rotation every game if they wanted to. also the issue of ''full rotation/slight rotation) still does not work properly this has been ongoing since wow how long now where a full rotation often is 1 player swapped out

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Zachary Whyte:

These are known issues we are investigating, thanks for flagging.

Is there any chance you may hotfix this bug? Its impossible to play/test the game if you always play vs fitness dead players.. whole enemy team needs a break and is on starting 11

im first place in bundesliga with promoted team (hannover) with standard gegenpress tactic BECAUSE of my fitness advantage.

Harry Kane average 6,75 note in 17 games..... because he is soo tired and needs a damn pause ^^

Edited by Kaze2904